Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for Law?

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looks like I'll be entering one of the Law courses this year.
    I'm looking for some advice on a couple of points.

What would a serious student be bringing to college with them every day? I'm wondering will I need a rucksack for books, or just a laptop bag, or even just a notebook?

Whats the bicycle rack/lock situation in Trinity? Is there a safe place to store bikes during the day?

Lastly, will Sports club be out with the societies to recruit during Freshers week?

Any other advice students in general would like to share would be welcome
    Cheers and good luck :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Looks like I'll be entering one of the Law courses this year.
    I'm looking for some advice on a couple of points.

What would a serious student be bringing to college with them every day? I'm wondering will I need a rucksack for books, or just a laptop bag, or even just a notebook?

Whats the bicycle rack/lock situation in Trinity? Is there a safe place to store bikes during the day?

Lastly, will Sports club be out with the societies to recruit during Freshers week?

Any other advice students in general would like to share would be welcome
    Cheers and good luck :)

What people bring depends on the student. Everyone tends to bring laptops at first, but you will notice most people tend to use a notebook after a while. You will need a rucksack for taking books home from the library, for your water bottle etc

A good tip is use the google drive on your mytcd email and create folders and subfolders if you plan on using a laptop to save lecture notes in some what orderly fashion. Also if your laptop gets lost or stolen, everything is backed up

There is a handful of bike racks in TCD. Most people lock their bike to the railings ( I dont think you are supposed to, but as long as you dont lock them on certain railings, no one really cares). Buy a kryptonite lock. It is the only lock that is hard to break. There is a secure bike shed somewhere on campus, but I tend to lock mine on a railing somewhere

All the clubs will be out on Front Sq. Most societies will let you join throughout the year. IMO the best value soc is the the Phil/Hist. The speakers are incredible. I would join the SMF as it looks great on your CV if you want to get into Corporate Law. All the Business societies tend to be the best non-sports ones as companies throw money at them for sponsorship etc.

The best tip I have if you are buying a laptop is buy a chromebook. They are light, cheap and generally have an excellent battery. You wont sweat too much if a £99 laptop gets stolen versus a Macbook close to €1k

Advertisement