Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long haul travel with young children

Options
  • 19-08-2016 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice to see if anyone here has done any long haul travel with young kids. I don't mean the average 7-8 long haul flight. But a really long trip to Aussie, South Africa or NZ for example?

I'd really like to travel to New Zealand for a couple of week with my OH and the kids. By that time our kids would be 4 and 3 (well nearly 3). I just have this idea in my head it would just be really really stressful. There's the 2 extremely long flights back to back to get to NZ and then I'm guessing we would stay in a hotel for the couple of weeks... or rent somewhere self catering.

How did people find the flights? We would love to go on our own or when the kids are older and could cope with the flights more. But we'd like to have another baby in the coming year or 2 and then we could be waiting another few years again. So basically if we don't do it now.... We mightn't get to for another 5 years or so... But then it might be 3 kids (if we're fortunate enough). I was born in NZ and lived there for a long time. It's been years since I was back and I majorly regret not taking my husband there before we had the kids.

Any advice or experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We did it (to Australia) with a 4 year old a 3 year old and a 9 month old, so I would say doing it with two would be totally fine.

It is what it is, it is long, it is boring but, time does pass and if you really want to have the adventure then the flight is worth it.

There are always children travelling between Ireland and Oz and NZ etc, it really isn't outside the "norms" of what people do, especially people who live far away from home.

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

you could always break the journey both ways? Might make it a tiny bit easier?

I went to NZ two years ago and got stuck in Tokyo on the way due to snow. There was a mum there travelling on her own with two young children. (Husband was flying out later) She really wasnt having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks for the replies guys. Chocolate fiend I'm thinking 2 will defo be easier than 3! Lol. Fair play to you. How long did you stay for. We would probably only stay for 2 weeks so I'm wondering if the massive journey would be worth it for only 2 weeks? My mum did the journey on her own a few times with a baby, a 2 year old and a 3 old. I don't know how she did it (dad had to go earlier to find a house and get organised etc). But at least when she arrived she had a decent place to stay with the children. We'd be in a hotel or something... I'm just wondering is it worth it really?

Did you find yourself very restricted with things to do with 2 young kids? Or did you still have a great time?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Hi Sligo,

I'm also a kiwi, and have been back to NZ twice with my 2 year old from Dublin. The first time I flew direct, as Sean was only 3 months old and I just wanted to get there! Quite hairy as we nearly missed the connection to Wellington, and our bags didn't show up until the next day.

The second time, my husband was with me too, and we ended up stopping off both ways, in San Francisco on the way there, and Hong Kong on the way back (not the easiest to get around with a 1 year old in a buggy!!). We stayed 3 weeks with my parents. There really are plenty of things to do with young kids there, perhaps not the same holidays as you would have had before, but still lots of fun.

Do you still have family in NZ? Where are you thinking of going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Rua1 wrote: »
    Hi Sligo,

I'm also a kiwi, and have been back to NZ twice with my 2 year old from Dublin. The first time I flew direct, as Sean was only 3 months old and I just wanted to get there! Quite hairy as we nearly missed the connection to Wellington, and our bags didn't show up until the next day.

The second time, my husband was with me too, and we ended up stopping off both ways, in San Francisco on the way there, and Hong Kong on the way back (not the easiest to get around with a 1 year old in a buggy!!). We stayed 3 weeks with my parents. There really are plenty of things to do with young kids there, perhaps not the same holidays as you would have had before, but still lots of fun.

Do you still have family in NZ? Where are you thinking of going?

Hi Rua! Thanks very much for your post. I myself have been back a couple of times since we moved. I went back on 2002 and did my degree there. And have been back twice the. After that. But the last time I was back was in 2007. So 9 years ago. I just feel really nostalgic a lot of the time. Although I love Ireland I didn't have any choice when we first moved here as I was 13. I really regret not bringing my husband when we met and spending time there.

What I would love to do is just drive around the north island and go to all the places we used to visit when I was a child. Like oriental bay in wellies, lake Taupo, Rotarua. I was born in wanganui so would like to go there and look at our old house and my old school. So many memories of a lovely childhood.

I'd like to stay in Auckland tho. As that's where I lived most recently and would have friends there. I don't have any family there at all anymore as we all moved to Ireland. So we wouldn't have the comfort of staying with family while we were there. If we had that comfort We would be on a plane tomorrow.

From your experience did you find the direct flight better or the stop over? I always flew direct. Aerlingus from Dublin to LA and quantas from LA to Auckland or otherwise air NZ from Healthrow-LA-Auckland with only 2 hour refuel in La. But perhaps with kids a 1 night stop over would be better? But then that's so much time in an airport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Sligo1 wrote: »

I'd like to stay in Auckland tho. As that's where I lived most recently and would have friends there. I don't have any family there at all anymore as we all moved to Ireland. So we wouldn't have the comfort of staying with family while we were there. If we had that comfort We would be on a plane tomorrow.

I definitely found stopping off easier when Sean was that bit older (17 months coming back), but would have found stopping off a bit too much with a 3 month old all on my own. It's really up to you, though, as stopping off does eat up a little bit of time, I'm not sure how much time you have to spare.

We booked through Air NZ, and got the Aer Lingus flight to SFO, stopped for 3 nights, then Air NZ down to Auckland and on to Wellington. Now Aer Lingus fly to LAX, then that should be an option too. Much easier than going through heathrow, although I personally do find Air NZ to be better than Aer Lingus for things like food and entertainment. I particularly like the food/drink orders on the entertainment systems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Sligo we actually moved to Sydney that time, we have been here almost 4 years now and have had a trip home to Ireland since. Flights are always a pain, but, we never stop off we prefer to just get the journey over with short term pain and all that sort of thing.

We lived here before without children and yes things were different, but, Australia (and NZ) are great countries for children so you would have a great time with your little guy.

Advertisement