Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 1.6 petrol engine light & general

Options
  • 19-08-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking at getting a '01-'04 A4 1.6 petrol (B6) have seen two so far.

One has a yellow (or orange) engine warning light on - constant not flashing. Guy selling says it's just a lambda sensor. Seems to drive fine except perhaps a *tiny* roughness below about 2,000 rpm. Low mileage and FSH. Worth a punt for under Eur 2k?

Both cars I looked at needed a good few revs and put your foot down for a clean smooth pull away from standing start. Is that normal, I understand the 102bhp is a bit underpowered.

Any other issues I should check on this car?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The engine management light on will have stored a code. Get someone to do a quick diagnostic check. If it is a lambda sensor you would think he would have done it before putting up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Wow, thanks for quick reply!

I don't really know anyone, so maybe I get a mechanic from an ad on donedeal, I could I get a reader cheap enough myself, might be handy to have? Can you get one that works on all or most cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

If youre looking for a cheap code reader, torque pro app ( 3.55 from google play store) is a good way to go. All you need is the bluetooth elm/obd ii adapter to plug into the obd port (about 15 from amazon) and your phone or tablet connects to that via bluetooth.

Hi,
    Thanks for that.

I've looked at a few adaptors online, it seems you have to get one for each specific car, is that so? Could not fine one for Audi.

Would I get one locally? (Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Hi,
    Thanks for that.

I've looked at a few adaptors online, it seems you have to get one for each specific car, is that so? Could not fine one for Audi.

Would I get one locally? (Dublin)?

Once the car is newer than 2001 and petrol engine then pretty much any adaptor will read a basic EOBD code. However some people on here will have vag com, or vcds which will give a much more comprehensive information on the problem.
    The fault code stored is just a guideline, so better to have someone used to looking at this data interpret it.

• Advertisement

Sorry for delay in updating, could not login for days. I bought that car, the dealer fixed it and I drove it again, big difference. Needed a coil pack.

Advertisement