Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dept of Finance refuse to zero rate helmets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Same as they are able to pick and choose other laws. VRT....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When the current VAT rules came in they allowed an exemption for items that were zero rated before the rules came in. In the UK helmets were zero rated at the time so the exemption applies whereas here they weren't zero rated at the time so they are not exempt and we must apply VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Same as they are able to pick and choose other laws. VRT....

We aren't the only country which charges a vehicle registration tax and we aren't the most expensive. A friend had to spend a fair bit and jump through a load of hoops to register an Irish bike in the UK, I spend 5 minutes and no problems to register my UK import in Ireland with a completely transparent tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Del2005 wrote: »
    We aren't the only country which charges a vehicle registration tax and we aren't the most expensive. A friend had to spend a fair bit and jump through a load of hoops to register an Irish bike in the UK, I spend 5 minutes and no problems to register my UK import in Ireland with a completely transparent tax.

What is the point of your post? Just because there is someone else doing it does not make it right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    What is the point of your post? Just because there is someone else doing it does not make it right

The point of my post is that VRT is a legal tax and in countries that don't charge as much registration tax, in the UK it's £50, there are other expenses and unnecessary paper work that they put on someone trying to register a vehicle.

Charging luxury tax on mandatory PPE is disgraceful, it could easily be rated lower, charging a tax to register a vehicle is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I bought my helmet online from the uk, why the hell should I pay 330 here for the same thing I can get for 170 delivered from the uk
    This country is a complete rip off for stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So there isn't an option to even rate PPE at 5% which is the low rate that applies to kids car seats and the like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sounds like it's the same issue as the "tampon tax" they were trying to get rid of in the UK recently. All down to what the governments of 50 years ago had decided to put VAT on which then leaves the current ones to attempt to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its because everything you buy in this country of ours is seen as a luxury..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its because everything you buy in this country of ours is seen as a luxury..
    It's zero on caviar.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-02997.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Cienciano wrote: »

Very apt in a thread started by cjhaughey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

It will be interesting to see if anything comes about from this:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0407/780245-eu-vat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

chasm wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if anything comes about from this:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0407/780245-eu-vat/

Just more vat increases...

Advertisement