Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD-Arts

Options
  • 19-08-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I got 370points in my leaving cert this year and is hoping to study Arts in UCD next month(economics/sociology). I was wondering what kind of job can I get with an arts degree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Kevin1220 wrote: »
    I got 370points in my leaving cert this year and is hoping to study Arts in UCD next month(economics/sociology). I was wondering what kind of job can I get with an arts degree?

Public/civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 15 psychology_15

There are a lot of options after an arts degree, though generally the majority of people (across all disciplines) will do a masters or some postgrad qualification before entering the career field. It's impossible to really give a solid answer, but a lot train as teachers, continue into PhDs and then of course, office work in various areas (I did arts and my friends are all over the place now). It's really just a case of knowing what you want afterwards and focusing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

There are a lot of options after an arts degree, though generally the majority of people (across all disciplines) will do a masters or some postgrad qualification before entering the career field. It's impossible to really give a solid answer, but a lot train as teachers, continue into PhDs and then of course, office work in various areas (I did arts and my friends are all over the place now). It's really just a case of knowing what you want afterwards and focusing on that.
    Hey thanks for the reply, I was wondering is it possible to not study for masters and instead, dive straight into work? Like would I be able to find a job in business related areas with an Arts degree?

I'm sure it is. I suppose it's just more because the career field in general can be so competitive now, a lot of people will add an extra qualification on and in some areas it really is pretty much obligatory at this stage, but I know people who haven't and have done well. I'd say if you work during summers in a relevant businesses and build your experience that way, it'd be a lot easier to find employment immediately after graduating. You could also chat to the Career Development Centre when you get to UCD and see what advice they offer.

I'm sure it is. I suppose it's just more because the career field in general can be so competitive now, a lot of people will add an extra qualification on and in some areas it really is pretty much obligatory at this stage, but I know people who haven't and have done well. I'd say if you work during summers in a relevant businesses and build your experience that way, it'd be a lot easier to find employment immediately after graduating. You could also chat to the Career Development Centre when you get to UCD and see what advice they offer. You never know - you might want to do an extra year by the time you hit that stage. I wouldn't rule it out just yet because it might be just something you need to do when the time comes. Do you have other course options that you're deciding between or are you set on arts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Kevin1220

I'm sure it is. I suppose it's just more because the career field in general can be so competitive now, a lot of people will add an extra qualification on and in some areas it really is pretty much obligatory at this stage, but I know people who haven't and have done well. I'd say if you work during summers in a relevant businesses and build your experience that way, it'd be a lot easier to find employment immediately after graduating. You could also chat to the Career Development Centre when you get to UCD and see what advice they offer. You never know - you might want to do an extra year by the time you hit that stage. I wouldn't rule it out just yet because it might be just something you need to do when the time comes. Do you have other course options that you're deciding between or are you set on arts?
    Unfortunately I didn't get enough points for business and I just got enough points for finance in maynooth which is 370, I think it may go up so my best choice is Arts in UCD(which I'm ok with) it's just that I'm uncertain what kinda career I'll be able to get out of it

Well don't worry about that because doing arts won't close any doors whatsoever in business! Don't forget, you can also take business modules as electives which will increase your experience and can go on your CV. A friend of mine did arts in a completely non-business field, and now works very successfully in a huge banking organisation, so it will all work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoop Dogg

I want to study Arts (Economics and Politics and International Relations) as well and got 415 in my Leaving. My plan is to get this degree and then use the Economics part to do a masters in International Business in the Smurfit School. Having a masters in business will make you much more employable than an arts degree would (or so my guidance councillor said). The good thing about an arts degree is that it seems to be relatively open and you can take it in many directions (within reason) towards stuff that you really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Unfortunately I didn't get enough points for business and I just got enough points for finance in maynooth which is 370, I think it may go up so my best choice is Arts in UCD(which I'm ok with) it's just that I'm uncertain what kinda career I'll be able to get out of it

You would be as likely to get a job with a basic Arts degree as a basic business degree. :pac:

There are, in fact, few areas where you can step out of college with just get a degree and pick up a job. Some technical courses are like that, but even then many of these courses require that you have picked up some relevant work experience in order to be deemed employable (placement, internship, etc.).

Naturally some jobs just specify a minimum of 2.1 degree in any disciple.

Advertisement