Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft / Hard water result

• 20-08-2016 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone share their water tests result,any idea what kind in percentage water is in the area !?

Thinking of getting a softener,looking for justification.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Clonsilla in particular has very hard water. My mother spent years trying to grow hydrangeas ...without success. The back roads to Finglas are edged in walls built from a stone known as black clonsilla calp. There is a quarry in Huntstown as well. I learnt all this from my dad who sold quarrying equipment and who would lecture me on it years ago when giving me a lift to dcu (15 mins) rather than 2 hours on buses...never thought it would come in useful.

I've really noticed it when washing my hair abroad. Water so soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.
    I tought that whole D15 has a single water supply source / provider.
    That means that one estate could be better than other ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

D15 has more than one water source. I know my water is not hard but we've had plenty of posts in this forum bemoaning the hardness of water in other parts of D15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I'm in Coolmine and the water is very hard, kettle is only caked in limescale and we go through fabric softener at a fantastic rate.

But since there are no reservoirs and treatment facilities round here, it has nothing to do with local geology. Think most of Fingal's water comes from a treatment plant in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I'm in Coolmine and the water is very hard, kettle is only caked in limescale and we go through fabric softener at a fantastic rate.

But since there are no reservoirs and treatment facilities round here, it has nothing to do with local geology. Think most of Fingal's water comes from a treatment plant in Kildare.

No, nothing in the area, just a 200,000 cubic metre reservoir in Ballycoolin behind PayPal.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B024'38.9%22N+6%C2%B021'45.8%22W/@53.410817,-6.3643005,430m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d53.410817!4d-6.362724

• Advertisement

VeVeX wrote: »

But that has no impact on water hardness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Found this with a quick search:
    The water supply system in Fingal County Council is divided into three main supply zones, and each zone can receive water of different hardness. The following table gives both the hardness range from the 3 sources of water in the Fingal area: -

Total Hardness Hardness Range Average Hardness
    mg/1 CaCO3 mg/1 CaCO3

Ballymore/Ballyboden/ 50 50
    Roundwood/Stillorgan

Leixlip(North City& County) 100 - 300 200

Bog of The Ring
    (Balbriggan, Naul, Man O’War) 327 - 345 336

Leixlip water would be considered mildly hard water, but Bog of the Ring water would be considered hard water. There are no limits set for hardness per se in the Drinking Water Regulations.

The hardness of the Bog of the Ring water will cause an increase in the amount of scaling and deposits in kettles (and in all water heating devices).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I would be surprised if any COCO treated water hardness. There MO is to produce potable water.

I did a test at my main suply and got around 170 ppm.

oblivious wrote: »
    I would be surprised if any COCO treated water hardness. There MO is to produce potable water.

Do you use tap water for your homebrew?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

VeVeX wrote: »

Do you use tap water for your homebrew?

I acid treat the water to reduce bicarbonates

I acid treat the water to reduce bicarbonates

I wondered. I don't like the taste of the water in Tyrrelstown so I've always used bottled water. I might give that a go for the next batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I got an Reverse Osmosis unit in - (basically an extra tap) as the ppm in my water is in the 450 region. The water from the R.O. unit has everything (good & bad) removed - so comes in at about 15ppm. Big difference in tea, which Ive started drinking again, as it was so bad only coffee would disguise the taste of the water. Im near Ashfield btw.
    It costs me 3.99 a week to have a serviced r.o unit n place- saves me carrying home bottled water that is full of bicarbonates anyway and often does not say if fluoridated or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

zef wrote: »
    Hi, I got an Reverse Osmosis unit in - (basically an extra tap) as the ppm in my water is in the 450 region. The water from the R.O. unit has everything (good & bad) removed - so comes in at about 15ppm. Big difference in tea, which Ive started drinking again, as it was so bad only coffee would disguise the taste of the water. Im near Ashfield btw.
    It costs me 3.99 a week to have a serviced r.o unit n place- saves me carrying home bottled water that is full of bicarbonates anyway and often does not say if fluoridated or not.

Who did you get that from? I hate the tap water in D15 but could drink it from the tap all day when I was living in D3

Some guy around the Kilbeggin area of westmeath, didn't mind driving out to me -
    You'll find him if you google Reverse Osmosis westmaeth Ireland- I could have bought the unit , but renting is handy as it's serviced should anything go awry.

For drinking tap water...something like this one !?

381409.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Must be good, it says 'Top Quality' on it!!

Yeah, sits under the sink- mines not digitised I don't think but I have my own ppm/ ec reader (for measuring acidic/ parts per million in the water) Has its own little tap that they install. Tea tastes a lot better, I have the unit installed since last Nov.
    You do have the option to get another cylinder that adds Ca & Mg to your water, same price iirc- I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

Does it take fluoride out of the water?

With reverse osmosis yes it would.

• Advertisement

Main reason I got it.
    I'm a "tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist" that believes fluoride does more harm than good. First used in Gulags and then by Hitler (Godwin already! sorry) I believe it calcifies the pineal gland in the brain. Obviously it is in other products - tea leaves, any purchased beverages, etc but I like to keep intake of it to a bare minimum.
    Something that is used as a pesticide & rodenticide to me is a toxin, and I have definetly felt 'brighter' since we had it installed last Nov. I have a tendency towards apathy in the winter months and this winter gone wasn't so bad.
    It's cut down the consumption of soft drinks by about 80% in my house. My son used buy coke by the 2ltr bottle, haven't seen one in months.
    It's just as easy to pour yourself a clear and cold glass of water(it comes out chilled) or add a squirt of cordial. So double savings if you've got fizzy drink lovers & are trying to break the habit.

Ahhhh here. The Nazis?!

Fluoridation might not be as necessary as it was when it was first introduced but there's no evidence at all that it's harmful.

Thats your opinion. I've told you mine.
    Even if It does some good, there is no way of regulating the dose.

One thing that people neds to understand is that RO (Reverse Osmosis) systems are removing bad things AND good things from the water,at the same processing time.
    You will ned to add a mineralisation / enhancement / Ph+ filter(s) after the membrane stage.

Also,as a side note,suplier recommended a softener to be installed before the RO system,to protect the membrane along with other household things.
    Did that and i can't describe the feeling on my skin,after a shower and the clean look of the bath/shower tube/glass/taps !

Yeah, all your calcium and magnesium, etc, my auntie calls it "Hungry Water".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

zef wrote: »
    Thats your opinion. I've told you mine.
    Even if It does some good, there is no way of regulating the dose.

There is your opinion and then there is comprehensive scientific evidence that disagrees with your opinion:

http://www.royalsociety.org.nz/expert-advice/papers/yr2014/health-effects-of-water-fluoridation/

I will leave it there for people to make up their own mind, and will leave it there as it really is something for a thread elsewhere.

Please do lets leave that there. Keep to the issue of water hardness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I'm in Barnwell, Hansfield, D15. I got the RO system after moving in and the difference in the quality is amazing. Same as zef, there is a separate tap in the kitchen sink.

Its a new house we moved in and after a couple of months, the kitchen sink looks like its years old as the limescale is building up, the shower screens are the same.

Do you guys have any recommendation on the water softner system / limescale remover system ?

Advertisement