Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Stinky food on Public Transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MRedd wrote: »
    ...Funny thing when you eat those things or kebab it doesnt stink to you.

This is what happen to smokers... they cant smell how bad they smell to non-smokers and think they are just being whingy bstards ... but if most smokers realised that they smell like a stale ashtray and that they have halitosis and how bad they stink then they would give up smoking sooner (maybe) :D

makes me laugh, pretty women that smoke buy expensive perfume (maybe to mask their faggy breath smell) but what they dont realise is that they smell of a mixture of stale smoke and perfume ... not a nice combination. Save yer money girls your smoking is more overpowering than your perfume smell so your wasting your money on perfume LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

More bigotry.

More bigotry.

you and your big words :D

...looks up the word bigotry on google search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,547 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is what happen to smokers... they cant smell how bad they smell to non-smokers and think they are just being whingy bstards ... but if most smokers realised that they smell like a stale ashtray and that they have halitosis and how bad they stink then they would give up smoking sooner (maybe) :D

makes me laugh, pretty women that smoke buy expensive perfume (maybe to mask their faggy breath smell) but what they dont realise is that they smell of a mixture of stale smoke and perfume ... not a nice combination. Save yer money girls your smoking is more overpowering than your perfume smell so your wasting your money on perfume LOL :D

It always reminds me of when a teenager starts to smoke and their parents are non smokers. They think they've them fooled by using mouth wash and a lot of perfume/deodorant. In my experience the parents always know their kid smells like an ashtray but they simply picking their battles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was on a bus journey recently, person behind opened up something to eat and the smell was horrible.
    I don't know what they were eating, but why couldn't they eat some fruit which would not stink the place out...
    Say, like durian fruit perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Wasn't in Éire but I was in Athens a few months back on the Metro and I was starving, I bought a Souvlaki which is a pita bread wrap (?) with veggies, meat, chips and a really strong smelling sauce. They are lovely. But anyway so I dove in and started eating, it was only after I got off the train and a bit of wind hit that I realised it was absolutely stinking the place out which in hindsight is bound to happen in 40°C weather! Nó one said anything anyway but I'm sure they wanted to kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I've a pretty strong stomach so I don't mind the smell but it creeps me out to think of the poor hygiene the person eating their takeaway is subjecting themselves to.
    You're in town, your hands have been handling money (filthy), handrails, seats,... God knows what else, and now you're wrestling a kebab into your mouth?
    I'm no clean freak but urgh...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Witchie wrote: »
    I quite often have to grab some food for a bus journey as I don't have time to get something to eat beforehand or when I arrive at my destination. Being a veggie with loads of allergies I usually am quite limited and often end up having no choice but an egg and onion sandwich. I always feel so guilty eating it on the bus but feel I have no option.

Sorry!

You do have an option, you can make time to eat it at either end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've had to ask people on many a occasion to politely refrain from eating as the stench is so bad.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My favourite is the smell of warmed up gear upstairs on a bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Answer.. Don't take public transport.

Seriously though who he hell eats egg sandwiches in general. What a horrible horrible excuse for a sandwich?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It used to be considered the height of bad manners to eat in public. No one would have dreamed of chewing on a bus. Now you see people walking down the street eating sandwiches. Or standing outside a Chinese eating a tray of curry chips (which they then dump on the ground).

The Victorians had it right really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was on a bus journey recently, person behind opened up something to eat and the smell was horrible.
    I don't know what they were eating, but why couldn't they eat some fruit which would not stink the place out...

Nothing wrong with durian. Everyone should eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

The Victorians had it right really.

Yes kill people off with arsenic as a medicine. That will stop them eating in public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I think its fine for someone to eat something on a long bus journey, over an hour.

No one complains if people eat on a plane.. So what's the difference

Huge difference and hopefully you're able to see it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think its fine for someone to eat something on a long bus journey, over an hour.

No one complains if people eat on a plane.. So what's the difference

Ever try opening a window on a plane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Every time I see those little finger waggy posters on the Tube I get a goo on me for a long tray of curry chips and a kebab.

Non nom nommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Even thinking of egg and onion sandwiches makes me gag .... I absolutely hate onions of any type or form and is makes me vomit to even hear people eat them never mind smell or see them ....

And then the after onion sandwich breath which absolutely reeks.

Even thinking of egg and onion sandwiches makes me gag .... I absolutely hate onions of any type or form and is makes me vomit to even hear people eat them never mind smell or see them ....

Don't even think about pickled onions so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Don't even think about pickled onions so ....

I gagged a bit ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

traprunner wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with durian. Everyone should eat it.

I remember work calling a plumber one day because there was a heavy smell of refuse mixed with faeces that had been left in the sun all day. It was like the Sex Panther scene in Anchorman. It turned out that one of the lads had bought a durian fruit. It was unopened and sitting in a plastic bag beside his desk. Rotten stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

What would bother me is having to endure a journey on a bus, train or whatever, with someone sitting beside me that reeks of garlic. And yes, I have had to endure that numerous times. I've never really been on public transport where someone has been eating something that stinks to high heaven. However, I have worked with and have been around others with foul smelling lunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If I'm on a train for a couple of hours or more il often get a sandwich and tea/coffee to pass the time. I would never eat on a commuter service mainly because I don't like to eat on the go, ruins the experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

You do have an option, you can make time to eat it at either end.

Not always possible when you have a deadline in work then have to get a 2 hour bus journey to college and when you get to Dublin you have 10 minutes to trek across the city to college.

It doesn't happen often but it does happen sometimes.

The joys of being freelance, a student and a parent with very little spare time on your hands. I also suffer from low blood pressure so if I don't eat something with salt in it I get dizzy spells and pass out so a sandwich or a few wedges is sometimes my saviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I hate the smell of someone eating crisps, you don't get that smell when eating them yourself but they're quite pungent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Never mind smelly food what about the smelly people who have never seen a bar of soap in their lives. :eek:

I have sat next to some smelly dirty people and I nearly vomited a few times.

I've a pretty strong stomach so I don't mind the smell but it creeps me out to think of the poor hygiene the person eating their takeaway is subjecting themselves to.
    You're in town, your hands have been handling money (filthy), handrails, seats,... God knows what else, and now you're wrestling a kebab into your mouth?
    I'm no clean freak but urgh...

I know what you mean - I have taken to taking out one of those little bottles of antibacterial hand gel in my pocket when I go out for this reason. Even sometimes if you eat in cafe or restaurant and they have run out of soap in the bathroom its handy having one of these little bottles in your pocket.

all this talk of egg sandwiches making me feel like eating a boiled egg sarnie for lunch today now.... but yeah I will take a miss on the onions. Love onions but they dont love my digestive system now im getting older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

all this talk of egg sandwiches making me feel like eating a boiled egg sarnie for lunch today now.... but yeah I will take a miss on the onions. Love onions but they dont love my digestive system now im getting older :)

Well how was the egg sambo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is supposed to be no food or drinks consumed on the luas(except maybe bottles of water?),

Hot food and beverages are forbidden on most bus services particularly bus eireann and Dublin bus but also on most privately owned scheduled services.

You can eat and drind what you want on the trains but it must not interfere with other passengers comfort and enjoyment of the journey.

Slight problem with this as these "rules" are not enforced.

It is an underlying issue with people and the lack of respect for other people.

Talking on the phone, eating and drinking and putting on make up on public transport are problems the world over.

Think of other people. I dont want to hear the inane minutiae of your daily life, smell the food you are eating or watch you bronze your face.

I honestly think people are getting stupider. I blame Trump!

Advertisement