Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city caves

Options
  • 20-08-2016 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

There's one in Beaumont, surveyed by Coleman in early 20's or 30's, recently some promising cave entrance have been found in curraheen area by two guys but don't think it has been properly surveyed or reported to sui. Were there more recent discoveries that haven't been published? Anyone knows anything? Or no one knows nothing?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Not caves of course but I do know that there are several large culverts under streets in the city center that used to be open river channels. They were built as the city expanded and developed in the 1700s. Some were broken into during the main drainage project.

Has anyone any pictures or footage of the inside of these? I've heard stories of people going up them in kayaks but I don't know if this is fact or fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 PolesLoveSwans

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Not caves of course but I do know that there are several large culverts under streets in the city center that used to be open river channels. They were built as the city expanded and developed in the 1700s. Some were broken into during the main drainage project.

Has anyone any pictures or footage of the inside of these? I've heard stories of people going up them in kayaks but I don't know if this is fact or fiction.

I'd love to see them as well. There are catacombs under 53 degrees, unfortunately they are open to historians only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's one in Beaumont, surveyed by Coleman in early 20's or 30's, recently some promising cave entrance have been found in curraheen area by two guys but don't think it has been properly surveyed or reported to sui. Were there more recent discoveries that haven't been published? Anyone knows anything? Or no one knows nothing?

Here's the blog on Curraheen http://luckoftheiris.com/WordPress3/2016/05/05/the-curraheen-cave/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'd love to see them as well. There are catacombs under 53 degrees, unfortunately they are open to historians only.
    What and where?

Andip wrote: »

I know that was my source. Also look at other places that guy is going to, beautiful. Beaumont caves also on his blog.

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    What and where?

One of the guys from other site was doing some construction works there,they would let him in. I've been asking in 53 and they said yea caracombs below shop, I'll post pocs of entrance to them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Musketeer4 wrote: »

Scroll down the page to see a couple of pics
    http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/grandparade/

mordeith wrote: »
    Scroll down the page to see a couple of pics
    http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/grandparade/

Nice. Saw it some time ago. I think there's more in books, will post title later. I wonder if they have a plan to let divers in so proper excavation could be done and not only ground tests.

I think there is another book or few books with same cover, one of them are excavations on north main st but I could be wrong, I defo saw a book with them photos of culverts under streets, https://www.ucc.ie/en/archaeology/news/fullstory-496617-en.html

also pic of entrance to catacombs here b7df7cc87a.jpg, it's basically small doors on the left of 53degrees shop.

Also there's a tunnel under red abbey, been there today and spoke with nun, she says ya tunnel is there, an escape route for monks, I think it goes from tower to the south, but it's just me thinking. Also Nano Nagle's grave is now closed, opening in two months time, works there, new stairs, lift for wheelchair, won't be as quiet as it was before when I could go and read whole book there in nun's gardens but yea, what can I do... also South Presentation Convent is being transformed into heritage center http://nanonagleplace.ie/

• Advertisement

There could be some underground attraction for tourists in Cork city, churches galleries are fine but people nowadays want to have a selfie with bones and skulls,fact. There are catacombs under triskel but not sure if they are open to public. I'd love to see 53degrees ones or I should say st peter and paul ones opening to public soonish.or anything more hardcore, smth like kissing the blarney, I enjoyed the view 30m down while kissing it.

Any news re knockraha bomb factory becoming heritage site?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

I didn't know about that entrance. AFAIK there is a side door entrance somewhere around here.

0d726f314a73586ec25e605171130d371d8e7775.jpg

reic wrote: »
    I didn't know about that entrance. AFAIK there is a side door entrance somewhere around here.

0d726f314a73586ec25e605171130d371d8e7775.jpg

That's the entrance to church.

A year or 2 ago there was a segment on an RTE programme that featured the Atlantic Sea Kayaking people who do Kayak trips on the river Lee through the city. They stopped at the entrance to one of those culverts by Beamish and Crawford. I couldn't find it on youtube.

That's the entrance to church.

I think there was/is a small wooden door at the side behind the statue that led down under the church?

Advertisement