Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer GPS or Wireless

Options
  • 20-08-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for a bit of advice or people's experience. I am.getting a present for my dad and was looking at either the Cat eye Estrada or Cat eye Stealth evo+. Just wondering what are people's experiences with them?

He will be cycling mainly in the north Dublin , is it hard to maintain a GPS signal in these areas? The main things he would want is speed and time of day, but I think the more he gets into it he will want the other features.

Whatever I buy him i will more than likely get the same one for myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

If there is any possibility that he, or you, will get well bitten by the cycling bug and want to keep a record of your spins etc., consider a Garmin Edge 200. €85 in Halfords. A bit more expensive than the Cateye units, but much more capable. You are unlikely to be disappointed by the Garmin unit, unless you decide later that you want mapping on the unit, or you want to connect external sensors like heart rate monitors or power meters. Even then, you are more likely to find a buyer for the Edge 200 if you decide to trade up.

GPS signal will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Personally I'd go for the cateye and a gps app on the phone. That way when he gets hooked he can spend on the gps unit he wants later...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zen0 wrote: »
    If there is any possibility that he, or you, will get well bitten by the cycling bug and want to keep a record of your spins etc., consider a Garmin Edge 200. 85 in Halfords. A bit more expensive than the Cateye units, but much more capable. You are unlikely to be disappointed by the Garmin unit, unless you decide later that you want mapping on the unit, or you want to connect external sensors like heart rate monitors or power meters. Even then, you are more likely to find a buyer for the Edge 200 if you decide to trade up.

GPS signal will be fine.
    The Garmin 200 doesn't display time of day (which the OP wants).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used the Garmin 200 for a few years. A solid reliable unit. I'd recommend it. The time of day issue is easily rectified by wearing a watch although I accept that some people don't wear one and would prefer to see the time on the Garmin display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Garmin 25 GPs enabled....no fiddly bits available in aldi from anything from 79€ up but worth a haggle if there is one in stock..... I paid top whack for these and it's brilliant.
    X have upgraded since for strava live..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Zen0 wrote: »
    If there is any possibility that he, or you, will get well bitten by the cycling bug and want to keep a record of your spins etc., consider a Garmin Edge 200. €85 in Halfords. A bit more expensive than the Cateye units, but much more capable. You are unlikely to be disappointed by the Garmin unit, unless you decide later that you want mapping on the unit, or you want to connect external sensors like heart rate monitors or power meters. Even then, you are more likely to find a buyer for the Edge 200 if you decide to trade up.

GPS signal will be fine.

Must look at the Garmin thanks - at the moment it is speed he is concentrating on but I know later down the line he will want the other features heart monitors/ candence etc

Well and truly bitten by the bug! He is gone from cycling around the estate on my old mountain bike in his tracksuit bottoms and T-shirt, slagging me about wearing bib shorts. To buying a new carbon framed racer with a fine selection of his own bib shorts doing daily 30/40k cycles over a 4/5 month period.

Advertisement