Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting: internet drops out when opening netflix

Options
  • 20-08-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    I need some troubleshooting help with a weird problem please. Sorry in advance for the long post.
    I am a vodafone fibre customer and a few weeks ago, I moved my internet/phone socket to the other side of my front door. Ever since I have had a problem develop. My internet works all day long but when I open netflix the internet stops working. My family's devices are all connected to the Wifi, I have an internet radio and a sonos media player both on Wifi, and I have my PS3 and a NAS wired to the router. All work normally and simultaneously until I log on to either youtube or netflix on the PS3 then all stop working and my router tells me that I am not connected to the internet and tells me to check the DSL cable. Doing this has no effect and after approximately 3 or 4 minutes my router reconnects to the internet. This is really annoying because, when I'm watching netflix on the PS3 and the internet drops out the PS3 disconnects from the PSN and it takes ages to get back up an running. After 2 or 3 disconnections, everything, including netflix works ok for the next few hours.
    Some background:
    As I said, i had my phone socket moved recently and before that everything worked fine. When my internet started dropping out I called the guy back and he has remade all the connections twice now. Vodafone also sent out an engineer. He said that everything seemed fine but that all my line can take is 55MBs and that vodafone had me on 60MBs and that that could cause problems. So he had me phone vodafone who reduced the speed on my line to 50MBs and the engineer left.
    Unfortunately, the problem was still there so I phoned vodafone tech support and luckily got through to a really good guy. He had me on the phone for nearly 1.5 hours going through everything from first principals, i.e. cables, router settings wifi settings etc. The only thing he could identify is that I was on an 'unusual profile' which he reset to the 'standard profile'.
    After that, all seemed fine for a day or 2 but now the problem is back. They also sent me a new router just incase. I've tried that out and still no joy.
    As I say, everything works fine most of the time. The problems seems to occur when I open netflix or youtube on the PS3.
    I was thinking maybe the internet disconnects when I approach max capacity of the line due to the video streaming but I have my doubts.
    I am going to phone vodafone again next week but I'd like so other views on it first if you have any.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd get a hold of another PS3 and see if it does the same thing.

Honestly though, it sounds like some sort of weird power issue. Like the h264 decode chip in the PS4 is generating interference through the Ethernet cable or power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check the logs. Simple as. I would guess your line isn't really stable but as to why the PS3 only triggers it I'm not sure. Do you have a 4k tv perhaps? Download a 1GB file from the Heanet mirror, see if that does the same.

Your sparky won't have a JDSU and not all KNN staff know how to really use them, they may not see what's changed, its unlikely iy was a coincidence that it started post move.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

Thanks Ed E
    I agree that it can't be a coincidence but when the engineer called out, the only unusual thing he found was the line was unable to carry the 60Mbit that my profile was setup for.
    The other thing is that it's not just the PS3 that is causing the dropouts. When I use Netflix on the laptop the same thing happens.
    I'll need help figuring out what file to download from what heaNet mirror if you don't mind as that should tell whether it's a capacity issue or not.
    I have had a look at the log but to my novice eye, it's just telling me DSL idle, then DSL deactivate followed by a reconnection.
    would anybody be willing to have a look at the logs for me?
    Thanks in advance,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is a 1.3GB file download hosted on a really fast network, it should max out your connection. If thats whats causing the drops you should see it happen shortly after clicking this link:
    Debian on HEANET

Next, the logs are anonymous for the most part excluding your public IP (eg 86.1.2.3) so if you remove that then you can post them here using "code" tags, just click the # symbol when writing your reply then paste them.

Looks like this:
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.2.15] to MAC address --, Tuesday, August 30,2016 19:00:23
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.2.15] to MAC address --, Tuesday, August 30,2016 18:56:30
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.2.4] to MAC address --, Tuesday, August 30,2016 18:54:28
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.2.11] to MAC address --, Tuesday, August 30,2016 17:33:53

Advertisement