Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest goals - from a skill perspective

• 20-08-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Just wondering what people think is the best goal ever from a technical perspective.

It doesn't have to be an important goal to win a World Cup or League Title

I've always loved Trevor Sinclair's QPR goal from the FA Cup twenty years ago. To execute a 20 yard bicycle kick from a lofted ball is sensational.

Other favourites include Marco van Basten against the USSR and Maradona's mazy dribble against England.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Benteke's goal against Man U last year was something special, great technqiue. Unfortuntaely for him it was overshadowed by Martial's debut and Liverpool losing.

Eye on the ball the whole way through. Just look at the power he gets into that shot, he had to generate that himself, the ball was just floating aimlessly over and then there's getting the shot on target, though reckon DDG could've done better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tony Yeboah v Liverpool.

The ball doesn't land perfectly for him and he still manages to keep the ball down and not balloon it which takes great control.

Ibrahimovic v England was a good recent one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Everyone always mentions Sinclair's goal for QPR but his bicycle kick for West Ham never gets mentioned. Corner to Cole who flicks it up and volleys the cross into Sinclair who does the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Henry's goal vs united.where he flicked it up with his back to goal.quick turn and fires it past bartez (sp) into top corner. Another is a young Rooney arguing with the ref as corner is being taken.stops. turns. Volleys the ball into left top corner from outside box. Great technique on both goals. Torres and Suarez had/have some beauties too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

There can only be one

Alan Shearers goal v Everton is a great goal but for skill this one v Villa is better, the way he calmly cushions the ball with the side of his foot is great skill.The one against Everton sat perfectly for him and he just had to hit through the ball this one takes a bit more skill in my opinion.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The answer is Bergkamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

GLaDOS wrote: »

Forgot about that one!

Glorious. Spins onto his own through ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Van Persie has had his fair share of corkers but this one is his best one to me:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I loved Vokes' header for Wales at the Euros, no real pace on the cross and directed it away from the keeper into the only area the keeper couldn't touch it.

Brunooooooooooooooooooo Pereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Bergkamp probably gets it, however an honourable metion should be given to Matt Le Tissier!

Difficult to call which one however I've always loved his goal against Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Zizou vs leverkusen at Hampden Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Di canios scissors type kick again Wimbledon i think was pretty epic, from the angle he was, where he put it and the utter thumping he gave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

World Cup quarter final, kills a 70 yard ball dead with his first touch, takes out one of the finest defenders in the game at the time with his second, scores the stoppage time winner with his third.

Not as important a match, but I just love the audacity of goals like that. Give me one of those any day instead of a 40 yard thumper, this sort of thing takes real skill. There's an element of luck in most long range goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Since all the usual "suspects" have been posted already. This one.

A move straight from the streets of Rotterdam-Kralingen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Zlatan for Ajax. Love the non-reaction from Van der Vaart in the stands as the two were having a falling out at the time.

Elmanders goal for Bolton against Wolves was special too. Only thing he did for them really.

Batigol for Fiorentina at Old Trafford.

• Advertisement

• Berbatov bicycle kick v Liverpool

Scholes with one of his best ever against Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

https://youtu.be/0Egm8jnhKs8

Ibra goal for Ajax.

Burial. wrote: »
    There can only be one

He scored all three in that game to qualify Barca for the Champions League. But that was just an amazing goal.

They were in some mess back then as well. Talented side but run poorly from top to bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This is one of my fave, meaningless game, but the take down, control and finish :eek:

Messi v Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey Final

Ronaldo v Compostela. Bobby Robsons' reaction is priceless!

Messi v Getafe

Totti v Inter

• ^Tottis goal

QONVIyz.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jester77 wrote: »
    This is one of my fave, meaningless game, but the take down, control and finish :eek:

Was going to post that. Can't remember anyone ever curling a volley around the keeper like that. Astounding finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

A one season wonder for Spurs but this was some goal....

https://youtu.be/fl9WC9Le70A

Can't embed the video for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Thread needs Baggio.

I'd argue that this first touch is possibly the most difficult thing ever executed on a football pitch.

Ball coming over your shoulder, just the keeper to beat. Practically every mortal non-pony-tailed football player just tries to put their boot through it there and a hige amount of the time it just comes back off Van Der Sar because his positioning was fine. But you'd be praising them just for connecting with it.

Baggio sees the ball coming over his shoulder, sees VDS and sees the space and he not only controls it but controls it with a flick of the toes that takes it around the keeper so he can finish into an empty net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Suarez goal v Newcastle was a thing of sublime beauty.

And I've always loved this Del Piero goal v Fiorentina, it was his breakthrough season, I think they were 2-0 down at half time and came back to win 3-2 with this as the late winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

My Top 5 outside of the EPL

5. Roberto Carlos v France - nobody struck a freekick like this before him and now they all do it

4. van Basten v USSR - iconic, unbelievable skill worthy of winning a championship

3. Shevchenko v Juventus - I love this goal purely because of the postage-stamp positioning of it and the fact that it had to be perfect to beat the best goalkeeper in the world at a time - what a hit!

2. Ibrahimovic v Italy - was mesmorised when this happened, again the perfect placement from the master of the flying backheel

1. Steve Marlet v Lens - you think di Canio's was good? This is the best volley I've ever seen, talk about catching a ball well....!

gosplan wrote: »
    Thread needs Baggio.

I'd argue that this first touch is possibly the most difficult thing ever executed on a football pitch.

Ball coming over your shoulder, just the keeper to beat. Practically every mortal non-pony-tailed football player just tries to put their boot through it there and a hige amount of the time it just comes back off Van Der Sar because his positioning was fine. But you'd be praising them just for connecting with it.

Baggio sees the ball coming over his shoulder, sees VDS and sees the space and he not only controls it but controls it with a flick of the toes that takes it around the keeper so he can finish into an empty net.

One of my favourite goals. He's 34 or 35 by that point too, great technique.

And if I'm not mistaken that's a rather young Andrea Pirlo passing that ball to him.

• Liking this Monday thread...

Father still goes on about Van Basten being one of the best he ever watched live.
    Picked out this.
    To take this one on the Volley was a thing of beauty

*Edit* 8-10 pipped me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Van Basten was fantastic, such a pity he had to retire prematurely!

Manuel Neuer getting caught out by Stankovic

Maicon v Juve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Liking this Monday thread...

Mostly makes me nostalgic... There was a time i was watching matches in the Feyenoord stadium and Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Koeman and a certain Johan Cruijff were on the pitch.

A couple of brilliant goals by Gaizka Mendieta here.

First against Atletico Madrid in the Copa Del Rey

Second against Barca at the Nou Camp.

Medieta was some player when he was with Valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Charlie Austin's goal for QPR v Southampton a couple of seasons ago was pure class. It got overshadowed by Pellè's that came later in the game but the take and finish were sublime.
    Can't find a decent video of it anywhere.

http://gfycat.com/MistyBlissfulHarborporpoise#?format=gif

A couple of brilliant goals by Gaizka Mendieta here.

First against Atletico Madrid in the Copa Del Rey

Remember that one, cracker of a goal. Would remind you of Gazza v Scotland which incidentally could easily be on this list

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Ronnie Whelan's shinner against USSR

Robbie Keane's clumsy looking goal against Germany in 2002

And of course, Ray Houghton in 1994

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He scored all three in that game to qualify Barca for the Champions League. But that was just an amazing goal.

They were in some mess back then as well. Talented side but run poorly from top to bottom.

That was basically a CL playoff that they had to win or Valencia qualified. The club was bankrupt and the consequences of not winning the game were pretty dark (you can see the reaction in the directors box).

Also: Ronaldinho, a bicycle kick with his standing leg

And my favourite Messi goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Might have been against a poor team but this was quality from Lamela...

Ronaldinho v Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Ronnie Whelan's shinner against USSR

Robbie Keane's clumsy looking goal against Germany in 2002

And of course, Ray Houghton in 1994

If youre talking about Ireland. The robbie Keane goal against Holland was a cracker.
    Dont know how to put youtube vids on here, I keep making a mess of it

enzo roco wrote: »
    If youre talking about Ireland. The robbie Keane goal against Holland was a cracker.
    Dont know how to put youtube vids on here, I keep making a mess of it

youtube.com/watch?v=7bZAvf5XKG0

If that is what is in the address bar, you only put the part i bolded and "redded" in between the youtube brackets [YOU TUBE][/YOU TUBE]

(had to add a "space" in youtube otherwise it wouldnt show)

This is the most skillful penalty I've ever seen:

You really need to see the slow motion replay to appreciate what he's done... :eek:

Just looked up this kid (Ezequiel) and he's playing in the Hungarian league these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

could put in a few from this chap

^ From a skill perspective? Not for me (Clive) - it's a great goal at a great time, but to me all long rangers have a fair amount of luck in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

^ From a skill perspective? Not for me (Clive) - it's a great goal at a great time, but to me all long rangers have a fair amount of luck in them.

I'd have to agree with you. The skills shown by Bergkamp/Cantona in here are the goals I grew up wanting to be able to recreate (and never could!)

Whilst Gerrard was exceptional at long range goals (and others in this thread) I don't think it anywhere near as skillful as some of the other goals as any half decent player on a good day could reproduce a long range cracker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement