Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from MMA Forum

Options
  • 20-08-2016 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭

In summary:

Incident here:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057634662/155

- Called out a poster for what I deemed to be racist comments ("cholo" and Latinos)

- Received numerous responses about how it wasn't racist, PC gone mad etc.

- Specifically enquired as to whether anyone genuinely thought calling someone of Latino origin "cholo" wasn't racist and satirised point by using the phrase "mick paddy", to highlight the ridiculousness of the logic as I perceived it.

- Was told that "chole (sic) is a term for a Mexican gangster" and that this is a stereotype that the Latino in question (Nate Diaz) plays up to, therefore it's OK to call him it.

- Pointed out the perceived absurdity of this by highlighting how a term like"******" would be OK because it's a term (albeit a horrific one) used to refer to black people, some people are black, ergo it's OK to use it.

- Asked for evidence that Diaz plays up to the stereotype of a "Mexican gangster" (note use of Mexican rather than Latino was the other poster, not me) beyond happening to be a Latino tough guy.

Now, while I accept the posts were off topic and unfortunately derailed yet another thread in the MMA forum, I have been informed that the specific reason I've been banned is for using the term "mick paddy" and using it to abuse another poster, yet to anyone reading the thread, the context is clear. I felt a poster was being racist and I used a term from closer to home to highlight that racism and hypocrisy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you attempted to resolve this with the moderator in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yes, and advised to take to CMod. Think I've followed the process as outlined in the sticky thread above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for the response. I'll let the CMods know that they have a dispute to look into. One will be along shortly to review.

dudara wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I'll let the CMods know that they have a dispute to look into. One will be along shortly to review.

Cheers, appreciated.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I've had a look at this

I'll go through various events culminating in your 3 day ban

Throughout the thread there had been various mod warnings. An example is this one posted at 4.37am yesterday
    Axwell wrote: »
    Mod: Threads merged - any nonsense such as trolling, fighter bashing or general being a muppet will result in a straight ban. If someone posts something you feel fits any of the above simply report it and move on, anyone getting involved in back and forth spats will find themselves on the receive end of an infraction or ban.
    At 13.06 yesterday you posted
    Wonderful, McGregor's casual racism is now making it's away onto Boards.
    If you had a problem with a post or poster why did you choose to take the topic off thread by challenging the post(er) in thread instead of reporting the post?
    You followed up with
    Calling Latinos "cholos" isn't racist? OK, you ****ing mick paddy.
    That got you banned for 3 days.

Looking at this you seemed to have no interest in discussing the fight - you simply wanted to argue with other posters. You did it in a way that you could expect to troll forum regulars who would typically supporting the Irish fighter. You were abusing another poster, backseat modding and ignoring the mods prior warning. All of these are against forum rules. The mod decided to ban you for 3 days on the back of this.

The fact you were banned took you out of the thread and avoided further derailment. I am not seeing any issue with a ban given your own comments and the prior mod warning. Was 3 days reasonable? In the context of a thread like this which will typically get very heated, removing "protagonists" until the thread dies down a little is entirely reasonable and in the circumstances I am not seeing any reason to overturn or reduce the ban.

• Advertisement

I was informed by the mod that I was specifically banned for the use of the term "****ing mick paddy", (which the mod somehow failed to see as being used to satirise the blatant racism on display) and not for thread derailment. I accepted immediately in PMs to the mod that the post was off topic but that surely racism should be called out and be challenged when it rears its ugly head, no? As for the ban taking me out of the thread and avoiding further derailment, the thread had already moved on. You may have noted I didn't feel the need to have the last word.

The fact that such racism is apparently acceptable and challenging it is perceived as "trolling" other posters simply because they were there to support McGregor as "the Irish fighter" is mind boggling. McGregor wasn't the issue - the fact that people think it's OK to ape everything he does and says was the issue I raised. It was nothing to do with backseat moderation either. It was simply calling out what I deemed to be a despicable point of view.

For a website that is so terrified of litigation, this is the sort of crap you'd think Boards wouldn't tolerate, especially in the heated cesspit (I'm going easy on it there) that is the MMA forum.

Highly disappointing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You acknowledge above the comment was aimed at a specific poster
    I felt a poster was being racist and I used a term from closer to home to highlight that racism and hypocrisy.

I am dealing with you actions here and not those of anyone else. That thread runs to over 3,000 posts, and mods rely on reported posts to identify issues particularly with fast-moving thread like that. You chose to try and deal with the issue yourself rather than reporting it for a mod to look at. I am not seeing any issues with the way the mod dealt with your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No response from the OP in 4 weeks.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement