Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rio - mtb races - no spoiler tags required

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

You could be right, the 15 seconds Schurter pulled out in that short space had me thinking Kulhavy was in trouble, more than Schurter put the hammer down, guess he's settling for silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think, it was more Shurter going quicker, rather than Kulhavy going slower

Coloma should get bronze for that facial hair alone..

Eamonnator wrote: »
    My prediction:
    1) Nino Schurter
    2)Jaroslav Kulhavy
    3) Julien Absolon

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Do any of these mountain bike racers (apart from Sagan) do road racing?

• Advertisement

Want to get into mountain biking? Buy a Scott Spark... :pac:

Happy to see Coloma take bronze, mainly because he's practically my age and that means I can still get faster!

Sagan had a mare because of the bike, but I doubt in all honesty if he would've kept in touch with any of the guys in the top 5 or 6. He has previous history ( and serious bike handling skills) but it's so different to the road, even though he did a few MTB events this year.

Don't think so.
    Certainly not at a high level

rizzodun wrote: »
    Want to get into mountain biking? Buy a Scott Spark... :pac:

Happy to see Coloma take bronze, mainly because he's practically my age and that means I can still get faster!

Sagan had a mare because of the bike, but I doubt in all honesty if he would've kept in touch with any of the guys in the top 5 or 6. He has previous history ( and serious bike handling skills) but it's so different to the road, even though he did a few MTB events this year.

yeah two gold medals.

I agree about Sagan.

Do any of these mountain bike racers (apart from Sagan) do road racing?

The top guys in XC are really well paid.
    They would be better paid that most Domestiques on the top road teams.
    For example Kulavy can afford a Porsche 911 and a Masarati Quattroporte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

That's from sponsorship endorsements (He was the olympic champion after all) rather than wages, His Maserati was a gift/loan from the local dealers - Not quite a comparison of apples and oranges.

XC has a lot less money than the road, otherwise you'd have loads of roadies at all the XC races whereas in reality it's dying on it's arse. Need the numbers & viewers up to get the advertisers up to increase the cash ad infinitum but unfortunately it's quite hard to make XC appear exciting/sexy and Enduro racing has exploded in popularity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

saccades wrote: »
    That's from sponsorship endorsements (He was the olympic champion after all) rather than wages, His Maserati was a gift/loan from the local dealers - Not quite a comparison of apples and oranges.

XC has a lot less money than the road, otherwise you'd have loads of roadies at all the XC races whereas in reality it's dying on it's arse. Need the numbers & viewers up to get the advertisers up to increase the cash ad infinitum but unfortunately it's quite hard to make XC appear exciting/sexy and Enduro racing has exploded in popularity.

What seems to be happening around the MTB world is that the traditional middle ground of the 90 min XC race is definitely losing popularity. On one end of the spectrum CX is making huge strides with it's short, sharp races and on the other end Marathon and Enduro races are also gaining popularity.
    There is no question that the rise in Enduro racing has had an effect on both Downhill and XC racing here in Ireland but it has yet to be accepted as a UCI discipline and it remains to be seen whether it continues on it's current trajectory!
    I personally thought that the XC course in Rio was brilliant and made for great viewing!

Advertisement