Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin House Hunt

Options
  • 20-08-2016 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

I'm not familiar with Dublin to be quite honest. I haven't spend a huge amount of time there so I need some advice on where to live. I need to be able to get on the m50 quite quickly as I work in sallins co Kildare, but it also needs good transport links to the city centre as my mate who's moving with me works there.

I'm just wondering are there any areas that I should think about. I've only looked in dundrum so far.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are you seeking to rent or buy?

Dundrum is a good location to access the M50 and for Luas green line but properties are scarce and expensive to rent or buy.

If you work in Sallins why not live closer to there and let your friend use the commuter rail to access the city centre, rather than you having to do a long reverse commute? Celbridge or Adamstown perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭lemmno

I guess we were both hoping for Dublin as there's much more there in terms of nightlife etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

If you have to stay in Dublin, stay somewhere near the Naas Road if you'll be driving to Kildare - Citywest, Tallaght, Clondalkin, etc. But it is a hell of a commute that you could possibly avoid. If you'll be out living it up in Dublin 2 or 3 nights a week, it might make sense. But you'd cover a good few taxi fares to Kildare with your savings on rent by living in Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi there. I live in Rathfarnham and it's very close to the m50 (Templeogue/Tallaght exit) the rent here is very reasonable and the location to town is also ideal. The luas and bus network is close by and if you're driving into town, it's relatively easily done too.

Commute to Naas I'm thinking is within 45 mins of dundrum? Please do correct me if I'm wrong as if I am ill be rethinking!!

I looked in rathfarnham but there wasn't much available, and it took an hour to get on a bus which put us off but maybe it was a bad day?

• Advertisement

lemmno wrote: »
    Commute to Naas I'm thinking is within 45 mins of dundrum? Please do correct me if I'm wrong as if I am ill be rethinking!!

I looked in rathfarnham but there wasn't much available, and it took an hour to get on a bus which put us off but maybe it was a bad day?

From Dundrum you're talking about 35-40 minutes, similar from Rathfarnham. I would be more inclined to commute on the Luas. It's usually about 25 minutes into the city centre from the Ballally stop. Would you consider Churchtown? it's in between Rathfarnham and Dundrum and again the m50 is closeby as is the Luas (you could walk to the Luas in 15 minutes)

Yeah I have but churchtown literally had 1 apartment available when I checked two days ago. Things are just flying. I'm half thinking of just taking a place now without seeing it as I'm run ragged.

40 minutes is grand. I used to commute an hour every day for 6 years so 45 minutes doesn't bother me at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lemmno wrote: »
    . I'm half thinking of just taking a place now without seeing it as I'm run ragged.

I would strongly recommend against doing that.
    There are 101 things that could be "wrong" with a property, and you'll be tying yourself into staying there for at least a year.

I would strongly recommend against doing that.
    There are 101 things that could be "wrong" with a property, and you'll be tying yourself into staying there for at least a year.

AGREED. In Dublin you can be ripped off for really low quality properties. It's worth spending the time viewing places and looking into it and you'll find a nice place.

Advertisement