Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What channel are we on?

I hate these kind of games. Away to the reasonable-but-not-brilliant teams. These are the sh*tty ones that often end up undoing all the other good work.

BT Sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    We need to get at least 1 point from Olympic Park today

No. If we have aspirations of winning the league this is the kind of game you need 3 points from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Our team again: Cech, Gabriel, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexis

#WHUvAFC

No. If we have aspirations of winning the league this is the kind of game you need 3 points from.

We won't beat Chelsea

Exactly, there is already a 6 point gap opened up which needs to be closed. (albeit Chelsea with a game in hand)

Andy Carroll starts on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We won't beat Chelsea

We beat them 3 nil a few weeks back!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We beat them 3 nil a few weeks back!

To the title I meant. They are firing on all cylinders now

We won't beat Chelsea

Ah here i have to wonder at times about the good folks of this thread.

What type of Arsenal do we actually want? Fair to say that most of us want an Arsenal winning trophies and if not then by jaysus they had better leave no stone unturned in trying to win.

As things stand, we more than likely wont beat Chelsea but at the very least we need to make a huge effort in trying to win the league. I dont think the players care enough and thats my own honest perception. There is no excuses for just fading out because they dont believe they can catch Chelsea/Liverpool or whoever.

In 1999, we lost out on the title by 1 point and while it was crushing, i was satisfied that at the very least we pushed it all the way to the bitter end. Thats all we can ask for at the end of the day. We are not even getting anything near that level of effort from this current crop.

• Advertisement

Ah here i have to wonder at times about the good folks of this thread.

What type of Arsenal do we actually want? Fair to say that most of us want an Arsenal winning trophies and if not then by jaysus they had better leave no stone unturned in trying to win.

As things stand, we more than likely wont beat Chelsea but at the very least we need to make a huge effort in trying to win the league. I dont think the players care enough and thats my own honest perception. There is no excuses for just fading out because they dont believe they can catch Chelsea/Liverpool or whoever.

In 1999, we lost out on the title by 1 point and while it was crushing, i was satisfied that at the very least we pushed it all the way to the bitter end. Thats all we can ask for at the end of the day. We are not even getting anything near that level of effort from this current crop.

I'm not saying we don't try, im saying a point away wouldn't be a bad result. West Ham got 5 points off last season

We should be going at West Ham from the off with the intention of going second in the table tonight. We are playing a team 11 places below us who are only 1 point off the bottom three. They are finding it hard to settle into a new home and now is the time to be playing them and beating them.

We should be pressing them from the off, putting pressure on their defence and playing at a high tempo. That's when we play best and when we win.

No messing. Up and at them.

I see Ramsey and Jenks are dropped for today too. No harm after witnessing their performances of late. It might focus them.

I'm not saying we don't try, im saying a point away wouldn't be a bad result. West Ham got 5 points off last season

Last season they weren't close to the relegation zone

Basil3 wrote: »
    Last season they weren't close to the relegation zone

They are still a tough nut for Arsenal to crack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah it shouldn't matter what happened last season. A point away is a bad result, it would leave us 5 points from the top. We have drawn enough games this season, so here's a chance to get a win at a ground that West Ham aren't even comfortable at. I'm not awarding the title to Chelsea just yet, sure the amount of times already this season that the premier league champions have been crowned prematurely, just shows how fickle the game is.

I've heard people this season saying Man City have it won, it's Liverpools year, Chelsea are unstoppable. It's still December, it can't be won yet, but it can be lost. 3 points a must today.

We should be going at West Ham from the off with the intention of going second in the table tonight. We are playing a team 11 places below us who are only 1 point off the bottom three. They are finding it hard to settle into a new home and now is the time to be playing them and beating them.

We should be pressing them from the off, putting pressure on their defence and playing at a high tempo. That's when we play best and when we win.

No messing. Up and at them.

I see Ramsey and Jenks are dropped for today too. No harm after witnessing their performances of late. It might focus them.

Of Course we should go to win.

No harm to see Ramsey dropped

• Advertisement

Yep but last season is gone.
    If we want to be thought of as a big team then we have to start thinking and playing like a big team.

7/2 about the draw

No value in an Arsenal win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We won't beat Chelsea

10 weeks into the season and people had City's name on the title, about 6 weeks ago Chelsea were being pulled a part.

There's a long way to go before anyone can be considered favourites

Soups123 wrote: »
    10 weeks into the season and people had City's name on the title, about 6 weeks ago Chelsea were being pulled a part.

There's a long way to go before anyone can be considered favourites

Whether they are favourites or not they are very likely to finish above Arsenal - mores the pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Lost to Liverpool, beat Chelsea (when they were quite poor, different team at the moment), drew with Spurs and United - need to be getting more against the bigger teams if they want to win the league.
    Need to be doing the same against tough/bogey teams like West Ham - shouldn't settling for a draw and seeing it as a good result.

• Advertisement

We cant afford to be dropping points. We need to go for the maximum otherwise we are only kidding ourselves

marvin80 wrote: »
    Lost to Liverpool, beat Chelsea (when they were quite poor, different team at the moment), drew with Spurs and United - need to be getting more against the bigger teams if they want to win the league.
    Need to be doing the same against tough/bogey teams like West Ham - shouldn't settling for a draw and seeing it as a good result.

It may not be good, but not a bad one.

Sanchez goes off during pre match warm up...

We cant afford to be dropping points. We need to go for the maximum otherwise we are only kidding ourselves

We need to win, to have a chance of winning the league.

I don't think we're good enough to win the league this season on what I've seen. We have a soft underbelly that can be easily exposed.

Whether they are favourites or not they are very likely to finish above Arsenal - mores the pity

That's just looking at current form, did you think the same when we beat them 3-0? What they are now is in form that's all

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's just looking at current form, did you think the same when we beat them 3-0? What they are now is in form that's all

Conte has the team playing the way he wants it was a quicker bedding down period than anticipated

I don't think we're good enough to win the league this season on what I've seen. We have a soft underbelly that can be easily exposed.

This has been prevalent for years. The buck stops with the manager. if we are not performing then heads need to start rolling. Last years collapse was unforgivable in its nature. Quite frankly some of the players didnt give a b0llocks and Wenger has remained faithful to these players

This has been prevalent for years. The buck stops with the manager. if we are not performing then heads need to start rolling. Last years collapse was unforgivable in its nature. Quite frankly some of the players didnt give a b0llocks and Wenger has remained faithful to these players

We regained it and finished second. What Leicester did was remarkable.

Wenger can only use the players he has. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Conte has the team playing the way he wants it was a quicker bedding down period than anticipated

They are in form, Pep had his lot bedded down too not so long ago as did Arsene.

Chelsea are playing well right now that's it, that could change quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I seem to remember around January last year you saying that Man City were gonna win the title and nobody else had a chance. Far too early for paying out on the Premier League title.

Ramsey has been disappointing, Xhaka will need time

• Advertisement

I seem to remember around January last year you saying that Man City were gonna win the title and nobody else had a chance. Far too early for paying out on the Premier League title.

I'm not saying Chelsea will win, I'm saying they'll finish above arsenal.

Lost a few euro on City last season. If I was 100% right I'd be a rich man

We regained it and finished second. What Leicester did was remarkable.

Wenger can only use the players he has. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Leicester did, Atletico do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I agree but would love to see them prove us wrong :)

Leicester did, Atletico do

Where's Leicester now?

marvin80 wrote: »
    I agree but would love to see them prove us wrong :)

Would be the most delightful egg on my face

Atleti play a way I wouldn't compare with silk

Seems this thread is picking right back up where it left off the other night.

Poorly observed minutes silence

Where's Leicester now?

That's strawman and completely besides the point. They made the most of what they were and done what we were too weak willed to do. The fact such a poor side managed to win a league shows Wenger and the team up further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Basil3 wrote: »
    Seems this thread is picking right back up where it left off the other night.

Well efb could start an argument in a phonebox by himself & others dont need too many excuses :pac:

That's strawman and completely besides the point. They made the most of what they were and done what we were too weak willed to do. The fact such a poor side managed to win a league shows Wenger and the team up further

But shows them up less than every other team in the league.

No, it showed it as a one off, - abboration. I love the strawman line. How very boards

Atleti play a way I wouldn't compare with silk

Bollocksolology of the highest order. Silk my arse we've been shocking in countless games.

Bollocksolology of the highest order. Silk my arse we've been shocking in countless games.

I do love the nuanced debate on this thread

No, it showed it as a one off, - abboration. I love the strawman line. How very boards

No it showed a league can be won without the whingeing about finances

• Advertisement

No it showed a league can be won without the whingeing about finances

As a one off. A 5000/1 shot

I do love the nuanced debate on this thread

Seriously have we been watching the same club?

As a one off. A 5000/1 shot

Better than consistently failing

Better than consistently failing

Depends what you define as failure.

Wenger's record speaks for itself

Depends what you define as failure.

Wenger's record speaks for itself

Prior to 2006 it does

• Advertisement