Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

mansize wrote: »
    They are not ludicrous assumptions they are extensions of people's arguments

Do you want stability and relative success of do a Leicester and win the league as a one off? You can't have both

So if Arsenal win the league we become unstable??? :confused: And here is me thinking it was the next logical step after winning two cups but obviously our players and you know more than me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Whos that?...I dont care about MU or Lpool

Dagenham and Redbridge, who do you think... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Dagenham and Redbridge, who do you think... :mad:

Why have ManU or Lpool got anything to do with us

So if Arsenal win the league we become unstable??? :confused: And here is me thinking it was the next logical step after winning two cups but obviously our players and you know more than me :rolleyes:

No people said if Leicester can win it, why cant arsenal.

The Leicester model for winning the league has shown itself to be an anomaly.

I'd rather Arsenal under Wenger thanks all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

And so would I,and i presume most of us would.

You dont seem to be able to grasp what we are on about do you? If a team like Leicester can win a league sandwiched each side of a relegation battle and we cant manage it when City, Chelsea, Man United, and Liverpool are all out of the picture, then it poses some serious questions.

Every Arsenal supporter witnessed us cave in and down tools last season when the league was ripe for the picking. There was no effort whatsoever. The display at Old Trafford was amongst the most pathetic i have ever witnessed from an Arsenal side.

Do you honestly believe this is all some part of Wengers master plan? The constant annual collapses over the years?

All supporters want is for Arsenal to be the very best they can be. I would be lying to myself if i could honestly say they couldnt make more effort. Wenger recruited all of these players, the buck stops with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You dont seem to be able to grasp what we are on about do you? If a team like Leicester can win a league sandwiched each side of a relegation battle and we cant manage it when City, Chelsea, Man United, and Liverpool are all out of the picture, then it poses some serious questions.

Every Arsenal supporter witnessed us cave in and down tools last season when the league was ripe for the picking. There was no effort whatsoever. The display at Old Trafford was amongst the most pathetic i have ever witnessed from an Arsenal side.

Do you honestly believe this is all some part of Wengers master plan? The constant annual collapses over the years?

All supporters want is for Arsenal to be the very best they can be. I would be lying to myself if i could honestly say they couldnt make more effort. Wenger recruited all of these players, the buck stops with him

I would normally agree with you but playing so bad and still getting a result at old Trafford was different from other years when arsenal would have rolled over.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I would normally agree with you but playing so bad and still getting a result at old Trafford was different from other years when arsenal would have rolled over.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

greendom wrote: »
    Harder to beat for sure. More strength un depth. A great centre back partnership. Solid GK. I could go on. Plenty to be positive about (if you want to be positive)

8 points ahead on comparative fixtures from last year. All we need now is for Chelsea to lose their way a bit and we'll be away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

8 points ahead on comparative fixtures from last year. All we need now is for Chelsea to lose their way a bit and we'll be away ;)

...until Feb :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Goal difference is ten better as well.

We took 23 out of 27 from the next nine comparable fixtures until the end of January. That would be very difficult to achieve again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feckin Zombies on here.
    Do none of you sleep at night?
    Couldn't believe how many posts there were during the night.
    I thought something major happened. :eek:

Feckin Zombies on here.
    We can at least bank on you, Tayto, for a valuable contribution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'll be posting my wish list to Santa Wenger for the Jan window very soon.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Feckin Zombies on here.

He wasn't like that last night when he crawled into bed at ten past the eleven!

Bullsh*t rumour about Wenger going in for Cesc in January.

Could he take over Santi's role? Would the fans welcome him back?*

*as I say, BS rumour and I doubt it'll happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Never would have thought I'd be saying this with how Santi was 3 years ago - but Cesc hasn't the physicality that santi brings to that role.

If Wenger was interested in bringing Cesc back to the Emirates it would have been done post Barcelona.

I don't want Cesc back in an Arsenal shirt, and I think there's better value for money out there.

I honestly think that a (fit) Wilshere is the best solution. Whether we can rely on that needs to be seen.

Let's just do what Liverpool do and buy Southampton's first team. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Bullsh*t rumour about Wenger going in for Cesc in January.

Could he take over Santi's role? Would the fans welcome him back?*

*as I say, BS rumour and I doubt it'll happen

I don't know. I would have no problem with him being back. He left to go to his boyhood team and clearly wanted to come back after barca but Wenger didn't want him. He has always said good things about the club

That said I am not sure he is what we need. Passing from deep is required but maybe we are better off sticking with Xhaka and letting him develop in that role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo Arsenal only need to make one or maybe two signings and defensive midfield is the area where they require improvement yet again. Too often the DM's are out of position and it's cost them points. I thought Xhaka would be a big improvement there and while he looks good going forward he is not doing the defensive side of his job very well. I also thought that Coquelin could do the job but he seems to have lost his way defensively too.

The outstanding candidates that Arsenal might be able to get in the upcoming mid-season window are William Carvalho and Raja Nainggolan. Imo that is the only position that Arsenal need to improve in. I think Carvalho would be a huge signing for Arsenal if they could get him and it's hard to imagine Sporting holding onto him if they get a big offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ended up getting two VIP tickets to the match tomorrow night :D

Anyone want to otherwise very good tickets in Basel tomorrow for a chunk less than they were bought for? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We definitely don't need a DM. We need a playmaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

AdamD wrote: »
    If you get a top DM then you have Xhaka, Cazorla and El Neny who can all do that for you. Carvalho can do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm not sure where this imagined defensive midfield frailty is. Coquelin and Xhaka is perfectly fine for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you get a top DM then you have Xhaka, Cazorla and El Neny who can all do that for you. Carvalho can do both.

Xhaka is far superior to Carvalho and Elneny is not a good enough playmaker at present. The drop down from Cazorla to the rest of our midfielders is quite big, hopefully the players filling in for him over the next few months will improve with playtime.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, our midfield has issues but lack of a DM isn't one of them. Our problem is that only Cazorla is able to control a game and he's out. I think Xhaka has been signed to do that also but he needs to up his game if he's to replace Cazorla. Elneny, Ramsey and Coquelin are all fairly interchangeable for the other role, which is mostly a more high energy, hard running game, depending on whether you're looking for expansiveness (Ramsey), discipline (Coquelin) or something in-between in Elneny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Absolute no to cesc coming back. Has shown himself to be a bit of a tosser since his arsenal days. Hes also burnt out and definitely what we don't need.

Bellerin, Giroud and Metersacker took part in training today.

Giroud expected to feature against Basel tomorrow, I wonder whether Bellerin will make the bench on Saturday? Be good to have Metersacker to back up our centre backs although he's been out for so long that will be a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'd take him back tomorrow, as long as it doesn't p*ss any of the current team off.

We can't be b*tching about the team not being good enough and then turn our nose up at a player like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'd definitely say no to Fabregas coming back, burnt his bridges with the club. I also heard elsewhere that his agent is not welcome at the club, don't know how much truth there is in that?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'd take him back tomorrow, as long as it doesn't p*ss any of the current team off.

We can't be b*tching about the team not being good enough and then turn our nose up at a player like that

Except he is longer a 'player like that'. He seems to be a shadow of his former self. Very good his first season with Chelsea. Im sure there is younger players we can acquire for better money. Jack seems to be getting a run of games going too at Bournemouth. Was impressed with him yesterday. Wasnt sure if there was a future for him back at Arsenal but there may be a glimmer of hope yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Aguero and fernandinho will be banned for our game against City, huge boost lads

FA Cup draw now on BBC2

Preston Away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

domrush wrote: »
    Aguero and fernandinho will be banned for our game against City, huge boost lads

We have really good fixtures from now till the end of Jan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

domrush wrote: »

What a great weekend that turned out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

AdamD wrote: »

We have the best playmaker on the planet in our team. I think we need wide players who have a bit of intelligence. Walcott and Ox arent uo to the required standard of a Prem Lge winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Just catching up on the table there, not a bad start to the season at all. One thing for me that sticks out is we only have 4 clean sheets... 2 of those are 0-0 draws. We still concede silly goals on a consistent basis. Would be great if we could weed that out of this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just catching up on the table there, not a bad start to the season at all. One thing for me that sticks out is we only have 4 clean sheets... 2 of those are 0-0 draws. We still concede silly goals on a consistent basis. Would be great if we could weed that out of this team.

Is it just me or are there a lot of silly goals being conceded in the Premier League?

Is it just me or are there a lot of silly goals being conceded in the Premier League?

Yep as usual. Even with what appears to be a very good back line when you look at individual talent we still have brain farts on a fairly regular basis. I know he's loved but Cech has been a shell of his former self since joining us IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yep as usual. Even with what appears to be a very good back line when you look at individual talent we still have brain farts on a fairly regular basis. I know he's loved but Cech has been a shell of his former self since joining us IMO.
    I don't think that's true, I think maybe we just notice is mistakes a lot more now. I'm sure his youtube highlight reel from last year would match up against other seasons, but now you've a vested interest in him so while you ignore his mistakes at Chelsea they sting now so you notice them more.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't think that's true, I think maybe we just notice is mistakes a lot more now. I'm sure his youtube highlight reel from last year would match up against other seasons, but now you've a vested interest in him so while you ignore his mistakes at Chelsea they sting now so you notice them more.

That would be true if I watched every game and was a harsh critic of his but I haven't been able to watch many games this year yet anytime I do he seems to have a mare. Maybe i'm just seeing his bad games.

I thought he would bring stability between the sticks but he's been at fault for many goals this year and last. I can't recall too many games were I thought damn good thing we have Cech in goal.

That would be true if I watched every game and was a harsh critic of his but I haven't been able to watch many games this year yet anytime I do he seems to have a mare. Maybe i'm just seeing his bad games.

I thought he would bring stability between the sticks but he's been at fault for many goals this year and last. I can't recall too many games were I thought damn good thing we have Cech in goal.

I dont think he was at his best last year but he has made some cracking saves in crucial games this year

I dont think he was at his best last year but he has made some cracking saves in crucial games this year

Could you tell me a few games where he made them? I genuinely don't know cause I've mostly just seen highlights.

Could you tell me a few games where he made them? I genuinely don't know cause I've mostly just seen highlights.

more importantly I can't remember any of the Szezney type brain farts which were a regular feature when he was our keeper.

I think he pulled off a few good ones in the latest game against PSG. Granted we didn't get the win but it could have been worse.

Against Middlesbrough he also made a few top ones when our defense was particularly leaky.

There have been more but they are the 2 that stick our for me recently

Edit: just as i remember the PSG game I now remember that was Ospina!:o But the boro game was good

I still think Ospina is every bit as good as Cech

Feckin Zombies on here.

Going back to NZ for a few weeks over Xmas....can post cr*p all night long for you to wake up to :P

Think he would be awesome if he had another few inches in height.

He has been good when playing this year but his displays in champion league last year are still fresh in the memory. I think both he and Cech have been more consistent this year but Cech has had more chances to show it

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Think he would be awesome if he had another few inches in height.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement