Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Lots of pundits seem to have a dislike for us lately, Giles is forever saying we've no backbone and I think he caught Ozil in bed with his wife or something as he hates him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

salmocab wrote: »
    Lots of pundits seem to have a dislike for us lately, Giles is forever saying we've no backbone and I think he caught Ozil in bed with his wife or something as he hates him.

He's just a Leeds Und hatchet man tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

This really is going a bit well.

No idea where we'll end up. Chelsea look very strong at the moment though we're probably set up to handle injuries a bit better.

The goal scoring this year is fantastic though. Top scorer in the league plus two backups with a rediculous goals per minute ratio. Walcott and Ozil both hitting 10 goals before Christmas. Iwobi, Ox and Xhaka also chipping in with a few each.

It really feels for the first time in ages that we have people lining up to play a decisive role in matches rather than leaving it squarely on the shoulders of one or two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think there are signs of backbone too. We seem able to stay in games when we're being outplayed e.g. PSG & Man U. Able to close out matches. Playing as well away from home as at home. So much to be positive about t the moment. 2 tough away matches ahead and I'm confident we can do well in both. Let's see if we can keep it up.

Was it mentioned that Mustafi is out for 3 weeks?

Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal defender out for three weeks with hamstring injury - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38277476

Good to know that we have more than one player that can step up.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Was it mentioned that Mustafi is out for 3 weeks?

Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal defender out for three weeks with hamstring injury - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38277476

Good to know that we have more than one player that can step up.

It's a shame that the Mustafi - Kos partnership is to be broken up, but Gabriel has been looking solid since he came in to cover Bellerin and again yesterday when he reverted to his normal position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Despite November being our slump month (which makes me laugh anyway) this month will be very difficult with the fixtures we have. The next two matches -
    Away to Everton on Tuesday next and
    Away to City on Sunday next.

These will be extremely difficult. Two wounded animals who will like nothing better than home games to Arsenal to get them back on track.
    Then we're at home to WBA on St. Stephen's Day. WBA never easy to beat.

7 points out of this 9 would be excellent. Three wins would be fabulous.

greendom wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Mustafi - Kos partnership is to be broken up, but Gabriel has been looking solid since he came in to cover Bellerin and again yesterday when he reverted to his normal position.

Not too bad really but another injury to a CB could be a disaster. We could be left with the returning "slow train" that is Mert. I'd prefer Holden before Mert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Despite November being our slump month (which makes me laugh anyway) this month will be very difficult with the fixtures we have. The next two matches -
    Away to Everton on Tuesday next and
    Away to City on Sunday next.

These will be extremely difficult. Two wounded animals who will like nothing better than home games to Arsenal to get them back on track.
    Then we're at home to WBA on St. Stephen's Day. WBA never easy to beat.

7 points out of this 9 would be excellent. Three wins would be fabulous.

Two wounded animals with shocking defences though. If Sanchez continues his current form, I can see either of them being able to live with him.

Two wounded animals with shocking defences though. If Sanchez continues his current form, I can see either of them being able to live with him.

You can never take anything for granted in football.
    Their defences could be brilliant against us. Hope they're not though.

• Advertisement

Not too bad really but another injury to a CB could be a disaster. We could be left with the returning "slow train" that is Mert. I'd prefer Holden before Mert.

Bring Chambers back

Yeah I think Merts days are numbered. I'd like to see him stay on as a coach though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think there are signs of backbone too. We seem able to stay in games when we're being outplayed e.g. PSG & Man U. Able to close out matches. Playing as well away from home as at home. So much to be positive about t the moment. 2 tough away matches ahead and I'm confident we can do well in both. Let's see if we can keep it up.

Most of my mates were having a right go at how sh*t Arsenal were vs Utd.
    My opinion was that if Pep, Jose had gone away to another big team and snatched a draw they'd be hailed as being practical and played well not to let the other team win.

It suits a narrative that Arsene doesn't have a clue. Arsenal are **** etc etc etc.

Arsenal losing gives them something to talk about.

Most of my mates were having a right go at how sh*t Arsenal were vs Utd.
    My opinion was that if Pep, Jose had gone away to another big team and snatched a draw they'd be hailed as being practical and played well not to let the other team win.

It suits a narrative that Arsene doesn't have a clue. Arsenal are **** etc etc etc.

Arsenal losing gives them something to talk about.

Like many of us it's probably the manner of the loss.
    Giving their all and losing rarely causes concern.
    Not giving much and not putting any effort into the game causes many to be angry.

This putting in a shift adulation is bs imho

mansize wrote: »

This doesn't surprise me either.

Its all well and good having natural talent but you have to put in effort in order to achieve whether its a football match,a boat race, a degree, footing a plot of turf, etc. Its a pretty universal rule.

For everything there is a process no matter how instantaneous the success may seem. You have to apply yourself to that process

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

yes but we're talking 3 weeks minimum...AW said post match that it looked like a bad hammy so who knows at this early stage...its great that we have some depth in the squad but lets hope no more injuries like these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I hate when I hear anyone at the club mention a minimum timeframe for an injury, It always seems to go longer

Its all well and good having natural talent but you have to put in effort in order to achieve whether its a football match,a boat race, a degree, footing a plot of turf, etc. Its a pretty universal rule.

For everything there is a process no matter how instantaneous the success may seem. You have to apply yourself to that process

Absolutely, Ian Wright more or less said last night on motd that the only way Arsenal will win the league is if the players try and match the effort and desire that Sanchez shows every week which is something id agree with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah I think Merts days are numbered. I'd like to see him stay on as a coach though

I think if Kos plays, then Gab and Holding ahead of Mert.

If Kos is out though, I wouldn't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hate these weird days when i want Spurs to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Prefer a draw myself, want both clubs dropping points.

Prefer a draw myself, want both clubs dropping points.

if only there was a way that both could lose? Perhaps a free for all brawl to break out and bans and points deductions galore handed out?.. :pac:

Three 1 - 0 home wins today so far. Can 'Pool make it four?
    They Tayto advert used to say "there's always one" so maybe there'll be a shock.

Three 1 - 0 home wins today so far. Can 'Pool make it four?
    They Tayto advert used to say "there's always one" so maybe there'll be a shock.

A 1-0 win for the Hammers hopefully. Last week may have been their rock bottom

A 1-0 win for the Hammers hopefully. Last week may have been their rock bottom

A 2-2 draw will do nicely too :)

I don't really understand that tbh. Spurs are more of a threat than United this year. United are out of it. Delighted they prevented Spurs from getting any points today

I don't really understand that tbh. Spurs are more of a threat than United this year. United are out of it. Delighted they prevented Spurs from getting any points today

Still hate that b0llix Mourinho though :P

Demoralised and in the doldrums is the only way to have him

• Advertisement

Still hate that b0llix Mourinho though :P

True, I'm generally happy when they lose but I wouldn't have been today

You can, you don't need to run around like a headless chicken either! Im sure Ozil does plenty of practice in training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Another great weekend. City lost, Spurs lost and Liverpool drew. Pity about the Chelsea game though

L'prof wrote: »
    Another great weekend. City lost, Spurs lost and Liverpool drew. Pity about the Chelsea game though

3 out of 4 aint bad.

I had Liverpool in LMS tho :(

wonga77 wrote: »
    I hate when I hear anyone at the club mention a minimum timeframe for an injury, It always seems to go longer

hense "minimum"

You can, you don't need to run around like a headless chicken either! Im sure Ozil does plenty of practice in training

Ah yeah i agree with that.

Ozil for example to be fair works harder then pundits give him credit for and is an unbelievably intelligent player but gets lambasted by the same useless and lazy punditry by motd pundits who big their own 'english prodigys' up and then wonder why they get knocked out by Iceland.

You have to the right mixture of skill and desire. I probably shouldnt reference another sport but our own hurlers for years lacked the extra bit of steel in the heat of battle. We had brilliant exponents and sticksmen but we used to wilt when the pressure came on. We were crying out for that extra bit of grit.

Arsenal need that extra bit of steel. We have added a few good names to the squad but time will tell whether we can maintain our challenge or not

• Advertisement

hense "minimum"

I think you know full well what I meant, no need to be pedantic

Ozil for example to be fair works harder then pundits give him credit for and is an unbelievably intelligent player but gets lambasted by the same useless and lazy punditry by motd pundits who big their own 'english prodigys' up and then wonder why they get knocked out by Iceland.

You have to the right mixture of skill and desire. I probably shouldnt reference another sport but our own hurlers for years lacked the extra bit of steel in the heat of battle. We had brilliant exponents and sticksmen but we used to wilt when the pressure came on. We were crying out for that extra bit of grit.

Arsenal need that extra bit of steel. We have added a few good names to the squad but time will tell whether we can maintain our challenge or not

I agree with this, I was so delighted when Keane and Viera both chose Pires in their combined XI- agreeing his job wasn't to bust a nut, it was to create magic

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think you know full well what I meant, no need to be pedantic

Well it will always be longer than minimum- injuries aren't an exact thing

Nicky English?

Nicky English?

Ha no not quite :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

The pressing was the most impressive for me against stoke,intelligent closing down,cutting off space,there was plenty of interceptions and once we win the ball high up we are the best at quick passing,ripping teams to shreds with precise passing and bang!! in on goal.
    We did it against Man Utd last year and were 3 up after 30 mins...we need to do it every game.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    The pressing was the most impressive for me against stoke,intelligent closing down,cutting off space,there was plenty of interceptions and once we win the ball high up we are the best at quick passing,ripping teams to shreds with precise passing and bang!! in on goal.
    We did it against Man Utd last year and were 3 up after 30 mins...we need to do it every game.

And there in lies the crux of the issue. Consistently inconsistent. the most painful thing about last year is that we can really drive on when we get the bit between our teeth but for every 3 of those blitzkrieg performances there is another 3 equally as flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

And there in lies the crux of the issue. Consistently inconsistent. the most painful thing about last year is that we can really drive on when we get the bit between our teeth but for every 3 of those blitzkrieg performances there is another 3 equally as flat

And you think that's the case this season? They've only dropped points in 5/15 games

L'prof wrote: »
    And you think that's the case this season? They've only dropped points in 5/15 games

There is an improvement granted but things looked good at Christmas last season too. There is still the few woeful individual performances rearing their ugly head here and there and we tend to start slow. Ill reserve my optimism for the business end of the season.

I suppose the one positive is that we dont really need to buy in January this season barring a huge injury crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Was at the Stoke game yesterday, thought Theo worked really hard aside from the goal. Thought Xhaka played well, Bellerin was very good when he came on and Alexis was excellent.

Too many empty seats again( for a sell out) and also stewards were checking a lot of people for their membership cards after they had taken their seats.

We have 7 players out injured at the moment, Mustafi, Ramsey, Mert, Debuchy, Welbeck, Cazorla and Akpom. Some of them will be out for a few months yet.
    The strength of the panel hides this fact which is great BUT we wouldn't want many more joining them in this time of clustered fixtures before the absences would a major effect.

Video: Arsenal summer signing Kelechi Nwakali scoring his first goal for his loan club MVV Maastricht. [@TerryAFCx] pic.twitter.com/pDZpdSezOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

We have 7 players out injured at the moment, Mustafi, Ramsey, Mert, Debuchy, Welbeck, Cazorla and Akpom. Some of them will be out for a few months yet.
    The strength of the panel hides this fact which is great BUT we wouldn't want many more joining them in this time of clustered fixtures before the absences would a major effect.

That leaves our team and subs like this:

Cech, Bellerin, Kos, Gabriel, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Ozil, Ox, Sanchez, Walcott, Ospina, Holding, Gibbs, Elneny, Giroud, Perez, Iwobi

with Reine-Adelaide, Jenkinson, Macey, Maitland-Niles and Zelalem if we lose any more. 30 players if you include the injured.

Would take that 18 over Liverpool's. However, we need some of the injured back if we want to continue in the Champions League - the full squad of 30 will be needed at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Godge wrote: »
    That leaves our team and subs like this:

Cech, Bellerin, Kos, Gabriel, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Ozil, Ox, Sanchez, Walcott, Ospina, Holding, Gibbs, Elneny, Giroud, Perez, Iwobi

with Reine-Adelaide, Jenkinson, Macey, Maitland-Niles and Zelalem if we lose any more. 30 players if you include the injured.

Would take that 18 over Liverpool's. However, we need some of the injured back if we want to continue in the Champions League - the full squad of 30 will be needed at some stage.

Excellent squad,well capable of competing:)...on the issue of Champions League,Id love for this squad to be fit and able to challenge for both big trophies....but 1 may need to take priority,what 1 I'm not sure,the draw tomorrow might makes things clearer

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement