Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

mansize wrote: »
    50:50 for me

Sanchez wins the ball and there is a lazy swing at him. Its a penalty every day of the week.As long as there is contact. if there isnt then its a dive an a free out. But it has to be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Execution was just poor tonight, from a lot of players. Any chance we had for a fast break seemed to be blown by poor passing.

I guess Wenger will put in a few changes for this weekend, can't imagine he'll stick with the same team again.

Forgot to mention that. The passing was the worse i've seen from an Arsenal team in a very long time, Sanchez and Coq in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Has this place gone into meltdown yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

emmetlego wrote: »
    Ahhhh, the boards meltdown...

Lads, will ye ever suck it up. We played bad, it happens. Away to the Toffees loss is not the worst in the world. Especially if we respond well on the weekend against City. Chelsea will have days like that too. We actually deserved something from the game IMO.

The Arsecast mentioned about loyalty to Theo or Ox as Wenger might not buy a winger (Drexler) in Jan... On tonight's performance alone, you'd guess it's possible. Mahrez too! They are too hot and cold (Ox/Theo) and in tight pressing games, they fade a lot. Theo especially!

It wouldn't be a bad loss if Everton had been in form and we weren't (at least at the time) chasing the league. It was however a bad loss tonight. We played badly for the most part but sneaking some points while playing badly is the difference between being in the race or not. Today it didn't go our way. Gotta get back on track against City

Shame we lost, but I love the cup final spirit - seeing Cech come up for the last corner! I love that stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Sanchez wins the ball and there is a lazy swing at him. Its a penalty every day of the week.As long as there is contact. if there isnt then its a dive an a free out. But it has to be one

Haven't seen replay but I think ref might have bottled it

Sanchez had a poor game- Monreal prob Arsenal's best player for me

Shame we lost, but I love the cup final spirit - seeing Cech come up for the last corner! I love that stuff!

I'd rather win 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

just seen the replay for the Everton winner. Ozil was shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Got what we deserved really. One of those "not again" performances. Could be the kick up the arse they need. Can't go to places like Goodison and stroll around expecting to win.

Has this place gone into meltdown yet???

Nope. Everyone knows what to expect with Arsenal.

not a pen

There you go...Howard Webb has spoken.

Everton winner was from a corner that wasn't a corner, and Sanchez at the end wasn't a penalty.

As always its the response on Sunday. A win and I can forgive them the poor performance tonight.

He ran across the Everton player as he was playing the ball for me

• Advertisement

Everton winner was from a corner that wasn't a corner, and Sanchez at the end wasn't a penalty.

Wasn't a pen, cant be banging in 4 or 5 every week but I think If Özil takes his chance we win easy, but it doesn't always happen that way. Win against City and we're back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He ran across the Everton player as he was playing the ball for me

But that is given as a free every single time ive seen it. If there is contact its a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In fairness the corner was so hard to call as he headed it on to his shoulder so it looked as if it an Arsenal head.

niallo27 wrote: »
    In fairness the corner was so hard to call as he headed it on to his shoulder so it looked as if it an Arsenal head.

Corners given not given doesn't excuse poor defending of one

But that is given as a free every single time ive seen it. If there is contact its a free

Not a chance every single time, have we given in to hyperbole already?

• Advertisement

I'd rather win 2-0

Can't win them all mate. At least I got to enjoy a bit of a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Walcott & Oxlade Chaimberlain should only play on the wings at home in games when a big majority of possession is almost guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just home from the game, lackluster attacking performance, Theo and Ox just don't offer enough going forward.. We should really have punished them the couple times Sanchez and Monreal got in behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I don't think it's that much of a disaster for Arsenal. Results like this will happen to all the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Walcott & Oxlade Chaimberlain should only play on the wings at home in games when a big majority of possession is almost guaranteed.
    So who should play instead in the wings then?

Can't win them all mate. At least I got to enjoy a bit of a loss.

There was nothing enjoyable in that loss for me. Poor passing, little commitment, exposing the frailities of this Arsenal squad

I don't think it's that much of a disaster for Arsenal. Results like this will happen to all the top teams.

It's not a disaster but it allows Chelsea to put daylight between themselves and the rest

That's what transfer windows are for, ship them out and replace with better

Ox was poor tonight but in fairness to him he does try.
    Walcott is afraid of his own shadow and rarely performs against team who are physically minded.
    I think we need a new winger too for his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Some of the players are so hot and cold its very frustrating. As poor as Ox was at least he tries. Walcott seems to go hiding far too often for my liking and as mentioned, some of the passing was of a terrible standard. Ah well, was always going to be a difficult one. Hopefully theres a response against City on sunday, lose that and we are possibly 9 behind Chelsea and then we are properly screwed

• Advertisement

Well it does confirm to the players that they're not as good as they think they are. It will keep them grounded hopefully and make them realise that you have to work your socks off for success.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Some of the players are so hot and cold its very frustrating. As poor as Ox was at least he tries. Walcott seems to go hiding far too often for my liking and as mentioned, some of the passing was of a terrible standard. Ah well, was always going to be a difficult one. Hopefully theres a response against City on sunday, lose that and we are possibly 9 behind Chelsea and then we are properly screwed

And bypassed by the teams below us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ox was poor tonight but in fairness to him he does try.
    Walcott is afraid of his own shadow and rarely performs against team who are physically minded.
    I think we need a new winger too for his side.
    Who is available in Jan to replace one of those? GriezMenn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

One of Walcott or Ox with Iwobi, Sanchez, Ramsey or Perez.

Edit: or Welbeck when he's fit. Welbeck - Sanchez - Walcott might work well for away games.

At least give Perez a run on a wing. He could easily interchange with Sanchez.

Who is available in Jan to replace one of those? GriezMenn?

Don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

he looked good in the CL out there...gets into better scoring positions than Theo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

perez let barkley run through into the box at the end without even trying to stop him.
    and people had the audacity to question brian kerr! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We were poor from back to front tonight. Didn't get started even though we took the lead. The defending for the two goals was abysmal, wouldn't see that level of marking at schoolboy level. Damaging defeat, as you expect Chelsea to comfortably beat Sunderland tomorrow night to extend the gap to 6 points. They then have Palace away while we have City away. Could be a massive gap at the top by the time Christmas comes around. Bitterly disappointing night tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

batistuta9 wrote: »
    perez let barkley run through into the box at the end without even trying to stop him.
    and people had the audacity to question brian kerr! :pac:

Theo was stitched up by baines for the equaliser,I dont place much faith in any of our wingers defensive capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wenger needs to shake up his subs, always on the 70th minute and always the same people for the same other people. Why won't he bring Lucas on, is a hat trick against a decent side not enough?

wonga77 wrote: »

trying is no good if the end result is poor.

Ox for the chop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It's not a disaster but it allows Chelsea to put daylight between themselves and the rest

Plenty of time for them to f*** up.

Although these are the ones I HATE losing.

Wenger needs to shake up his subs, always on the 70th minute and always the same people for the same other people. Why won't he bring Lucas on, is a hat trick against a decent side not enough?

game was delicately balanced. He would have made earlier subs if we'd been well ahead or behind. Beyond that he doesn't seem to have much imagination when it comes to changing things from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

greendom wrote: »
    game was delicately balanced. He would have made earlier subs if we'd been well ahead or behind. Beyond that he doesn't seem to have much imagination when it comes to changing things from the bench.

He doesn't have much imagination when it comes to tactics either. When Chelsea were struggling to break WBA down at the weekend, Conte changed formation during the game and they went on to get the winner. Of course, our situation this evening was different but Wenger is so far behind managers like Conte in terms of tactical nous. Trusting the players to do the job without direction is all well and good when they're top class intelligent pros but when it's Walcott running around like a headless chicken, it's not much use. I don't think we have a hope of winning the league or CL tbh, we will be outfoxed by managers like Conte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He doesn't have much imagination when it comes to tactics either. When Chelsea were struggling to break WBA down at the weekend, Conte changed formation during the game and they went on to get the winner. Of course, our situation this evening was different but Wenger is so far behind managers like Conte in terms of tactical nous. Trusting the players to do the job without direction is all well and good when they're top class intelligent pros but when it's Walcott running around like a headless chicken, it's not much use. I don't think we have a hope of winning the league or CL tbh, we will be outfoxed by managers like Conte.

This is pretty much it. We've lacked leaders in the team for years, and now we seem to have some in the shape it Cech, Kos, etc, but none of it makes any difference when we don't have leadership or direction from the bench.

Conte is the genius at the moment. The manager all others should aspire to be. It wasn't thst long ago that his team was beaten 3 - 0 by Wenger's.

Yes he's changed things since then but he had to as his team had been outclassed on the day.

Team's first away defeat since March, first time we've conceded more than 1 away from home all season and first defeat in the league since August and we're looking longingly at better managers. I'm not joining that bandwagon just yet. If we lose on Sunday though I'll be the first to post about how we should have brought in Guardiola or Klopp or someone else maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I see Ozil getting lambasted for the corner. Why the f*** have we got Ozil in the box marking anyone let one of Everton's most dangerous men from set-pieces? He's a timid (albeit very skilful) player. He shouldn't even be in the 18 yard box for corners. Negligence on our part. One of either Kos, Gabriel or Giroud should be picking him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Poor result last night. If they lose on Sunday they can forget about winning the league.
    I know people say it's early days and the other big teams will drop points but Arsenal are not able to defeat the big teams and win tough battles like last night.
    The only top team they've beaten this season is Chelsea (when Chelsea were playing sh*t).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Conte is the genius at the moment. The manager all others should aspire to be. It wasn't thst long ago that his team was beaten 3 - 0 by Wenger's.

Yes he's changed things since then but he had to as his team had been outclassed on the day.

Team's first away defeat since March, first time we've conceded more than 1 away from home all season and first defeat in the league since August and we're looking longingly at better managers. I'm not joining that bandwagon just yet. If we lose on Sunday though I'll be the first to post about how we should have brought in Guardiola or Klopp or someone else maybe.
    Hardly a bandwagon when many of us have been saying it for 5+ years now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement