Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Quazzie wrote: »
    greendom wrote: »
    Conte is the genius at the moment. The manager all others should aspire to be. It wasn't thst long ago that his team was beaten 3 - 0 by Wenger's.

Yes he's changed things since then but he had to as his team had been outclassed on the day.

Team's first away defeat since March, first time we've conceded more than 1 away from home all season and first defeat in the league since August and we're looking longingly at better managers. I'm not joining that bandwagon just yet. If we lose on Sunday though I'll be the first to post about how we should have brought in Guardiola or Klopp or someone else maybe.
    Hardly a bandwagon when many of us have been saying it for 5+ years now.
    Yes but there have been plenty of bandwagons in that time clamouring for the latest flavour of the month manager to replace him. Most of whom have proven to be far worse than Wenger over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Yes but there have been plenty of bandwagons in that time clamouring for the latest flavour of the month manager to replace him. Most of whom have proven to be far worse than Wenger over time.

100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

As much as I distrusted Wenger over the past 3 years or so, I'll have him over any manager as long as he wants the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

As much as I distrusted Wenger over the past 3 years or so, I'll have him over any manager as long as he wants the job.

You distrust Wenger yet you're happy to keep him so long as he wants the job?

I'm HUGELY confused, Ted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Panthro wrote: »
    You distrust Wenger yet you're happy to keep him so long as he wants the job?

I'm HUGELY confused, Ted!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battered_person_syndrome

I still have 100% faith in AW. Looking at the disaster other managers have become after quickly bought success cements this.

I hope he's there to guide his successor in the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    I still have 100% faith in AW. Looking at the disaster other managers have become after quickly bought success cements this.

I've been consistently saying for a number of years that we will not win the EPL again under Wenger. I'm sticking to my opinion and i'm not even considering last night's performance as efforts like that are the norm when we're anywhere near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I guess its the consistency v unpredictability argument. Keep Wenger and sustain top 4 with the odd cup run, or risk a new manager with a new approach that might take a couple of years to have us competing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ozil was such a ham roll last night. One of our worse players. Think he needs a rest. Looks knackered

• Advertisement

Ozil was such a ham roll last night. One of our worse players. Think he needs a rest. Looks knackered

He can rest after Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Atletico look rubbish at the moment, Simeone might fancy a change of scenery at the end of the year.

Apart from him, theres not many other high profile managers out there that you'd trust with a huge job of replacing Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I suppose Arsenal have two options.

a) Keep the faith with Wenger and more than likely not win another league but finish top 4 consistently. The board seem very happy with this because it's a cash cow effectively for them.

b) Get in a new manager say at the end of the season. If they got someone like Simeone I'd be confident Arsenal would win a league within two seasons (with the squad they have at the moment there very close to this).

I prefer option b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Atletico look rubbish at the moment, Simeone might fancy a change of scenery at the end of the year.

Apart from him, theres not many other high profile managers out there that you'd trust with a huge job of replacing Wenger.

Completely different style of football though. I doubt he'd be in the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

marvin80 wrote: »
    I suppose Arsenal have two options.

a) Keep the faith with Wenger and more than likely not win another league but finish top 4 consistently. The board seem very happy with this because it's a cash cow effectively for them.

b) Get in a new manager say at the end of the season. If they got someone like Simeone I'd be confident Arsenal would win a league within two seasons (with the squad they have at the moment there very close to this).

I prefer option b.

Ya, with option B, I'd agree, man for man, Arsenals strongest starting XI is as good as any in the league, the bench could do with some padding and experience, IMO but of the top 5 or 6 squads, Arsenals is very, very close and I dont think an awful lot seperates the squads, maybe as I said a bit of depth.
    L'prof wrote: »
    Completely different style of football though. I doubt he'd be in the running

Hes no Mourinho either, Atletico play a good brand of football but are well capable of mixing it up and kicking teams around the park if they have to.

I wouldnt be a romantic about the "right way" of playing either though, for me, as long as the coach is getting results and it isnt a Pulis setup, I'm happy enough.

Conte is hardly gung ho at the moment but theres been some brilliant attacking performances (Utd, Leicester & Everton) mixed with some dogged grinds (Southampton, Spurs & WBA)

You need the team to do both at times.

Who would you want as Wengers replacement down the line?

He doesn't show up against the physical teams just like Walcott ( who rarely shows up at all). He is our most creative player against the rest though.

Don't want Simone, his team are Tony Pulis style

The Austrian manager Ralph Hasenhüttl of Leipzig would be my choice with AW as Director of Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

He doesn't show up against the physical teams just like Walcott ( who rarely shows up at all). He is our most creative player against the rest though.

That's why the likes of coq and Xhaka should be guarding him throughout the match that's what they're there for, I remember Gary Neville saying the Viera told him before the match that if he went near Pires he'd break him in half.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    That's why the likes of coq and Xhaka should be guarding him throughout the match that's what they're there for, I remember Gary Neville saying the Viera told him before the match that if he went near Pires he'd break him in half.

They should but they are not. Maybe they don't push up near him enough.
    The manager should be instructing them to.
    The referee should also be protecting all players too. Last night Clattenberg allowed a few heavy tackles go unpunished early and set the trend for the game. The one by McCarthy on Sanchez was a particularly dirty one but he got no free-kick or card. We had players booked for less.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

Hes no Mourinho either, Atletico play a good brand of football but are well capable of mixing it up and kicking teams around the park if they have to.

I wouldnt be a romantic about the "right way" of playing either though, for me, as long as the coach is getting results and it isnt a Pulis setup, I'm happy enough.

Conte is hardly gung ho at the moment but theres been some brilliant attacking performances (Utd, Leicester & Everton) mixed with some dogged grinds (Southampton, Spurs & WBA)

You need the team to do both at times.

Exactly.

They should but they are not. Maybe they don't push up near him enough.
    The manager should be instructing them to.
    The referee should also be protecting all players too. Last night Clattenberg allowed a few heavy tackles go unpunished early and set the trend for the game. The one by McCarthy on Sanchez was a particularly dirty one but he got no free-kick or card. We had players booked for less.

That's when xhaka and the likes should be wading in a forcing the ref to make a decision, and I don't mean surrounding the ref I mean get in McCarthys face and tell him his cards marked, too many times we just get up and walk away. Need to show that **** won't be tolerated against all players but especially the more creative players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Austrian manager Ralph Hasenhüttl of Leipzig would be my choice with AW as Director of Football

Where did this guy pop up from all of a sudden? What are his credentials or how did his name get linked with Arsenal?

That's when xhaka and the likes should be wading in a forcing the ref to make a decision, and I don't mean surrounding the ref I mean get in McCarthys face and tell him his cards marked, too many times we just get up and walk away. Need to show that **** won't be tolerated against all players but especially the more creative players

When we were playing football all that kind of stuff was discussed in the dressing-room. Other clubs seem to plan for it too but not Arsenal apparently.

We're too nice.

When we were playing football all that kind of stuff was discussed in the dressing-room. Other clubs seem to plan for it too but not Arsenal apparently.

We're too nice.

Sure ye only have to look at the city v Chelsea match, when aguero done luiz the Chelsea lads were over like a shot, couldn't see our players doing that in anything other than a half hearted way!

Worst round of games ever.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Worst round of games ever.

a disaster of a game week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It does swing in roundabouts though the weekend before we won and all the rest of them ****ed up bar Chelsea it'll come around again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It is indeed swings and roundabouts. Chelsea were very lucky to get the win, a miraculous save at the dead keeping them in it. City struggling too, and utd drawing at Palace. We just didn't get the luck mid week, but it will come back again. Utd lucky to have 11 on the pitch and their goal was offside! Them's the breaks!

a disaster of a game week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Worst gameweek of the season for us by far and also the furthest points wise we have been from the top (6 points). We need to win on Sunday now as I fully expect Chelsea to win again on the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Crap week for us with every team around us picking up 3 points. Really need to beat City at the weekend now. Hopefully there'll be more bottle shown than there was on Tuesday.

Ah well, hopefully we have bouncebackability

Its a pity that even Palace couldnt hold on for another few minutes. This weekend will tell an awful lot about our chances.

Wenger should walk away when he goes. We dont want a puppeteer. Wenger wont work under a director of football so why would he be one unless he is a hypocrite?

On top of that you want an unproven young lad to get the job??? No one heard of him last year. You were the very one to lecture about Leicester being an anomaly and yet you want a young lad that is over a small german club to take over? :rolleyes:

Fúck this style of football we are meant to have. Its a myth. We are muck to watch. Id prefer long ball half the time. Wenger has everyone fooled with his 'philosophy talk'. 6 points off the top and Theo still 'an important cog in the wheel'. Thats the philosophy for you

wonga77 wrote: »
    Its a pity that even Palace couldnt hold on for another few minutes. This weekend will tell an awful lot about our chances.

Sunday's game will define our season.
    Lose and we're gone. We won't come back from 9 points behind Chelsea who are already top for Christmas. No way as i can't see Chelsea not winning at the weekend.

If our game at City is physical then we we are in big trouble because there's a timidness about our players. I can't see Wenger making changes either.

Sunday's game will define our season.
    Lose and we're gone. We won't come back from 9 points behind Chelsea who are already top for Christmas. No way as i can't see Chelsea not winning at the weekend.

If our game at City is physical then we we are in big trouble because there's a timidness about our players. I can't see Wenger making changes either.

Oh no Tayto, Wenger knows. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Just watched Thierry Henry PL 100 Club. Unbelievable memories - he was absolutely unreal. The period when I really loved football.

He scored so many wonderful goals but for me the one against United in 2000 was a stand out. I really regret not getting to see him or those sides in the flesh in Highbury. Good times

Wenger should walk away when he goes. We dont want a puppeteer. Wenger wont work under a director of football so why would he be one unless he is a hypocrite?

On top of that you want an unproven young lad to get the job??? No one heard of him last year. You were the very one to lecture about Leicester being an anomaly and yet you want a young lad that is over a small german club to take over? :rolleyes:

Fúck this style of football we are meant to have. Its a myth. We are muck to watch. Id prefer long ball half the time. Wenger has everyone fooled with his 'philosophy talk'. 6 points off the top and Theo still 'an important cog in the wheel'. Thats the philosophy for you

Who heard of Wenger in '96?

Talk about moving the goalposts to suit yourself! Wenger had won a league title in France and had done well with Grampus Eight before he came to Arsenal, just because he wasnt a household name in England didnt mean he hadnt a good managerial record before that.
    Hasenhüttl may well turn out to be a fine manager but so far apart from some success in the Swiss 6th division and German 2nd division he hasnt achieved that much and could easily turn out to be a flash in the pan

As well as Fernandinho and Aguero, Gundogan will also be missing for City on Sunday. Looks like the poor guy will be out for several months. Still, from an Arsenal perspective, every little helps although they still have an incredibly strong squad.

I really hope we are brave on Sunday and really go for the win. They can really be got at defensively and if we can keep them on the back foot, they won't be able to use so much of their attacking prowess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bayern Munich for one...

Bayern Munich for one...

The UK media hadn't

The UK media hadn't

That says a lot more about the UK media than Wenger. Reminds me of Alan Shearer when Ben Arfa joined Newcastle. He'd already had a pretty high profile career in France with Lyon and Marseille when he joined the Geordies, but Shearer, despite being paid for his punditry came up with the classic - "don't know much about the lad" when asked for his opinion.

That says a lot more about the UK media than Wenger. Reminds me of Alan Shearer when Ben Arfa joined Newcastle. He'd already had a pretty high profile career in France with Lyon and Marseille when he joined the Geordies, but Shearer, despite being paid for his punditry came up with the classic - "don't know much about the lad" when asked for his opinion.

How many here had heard of him

(I'm sure most will claim they had...)

This place sometimes...

Do or die at the weekend? Are ya mad?

Remember the
    "city have this league sewn up this year" posts?
    "Mourinho and Utd are the ones to fear this year?"
    "Liverpool, City, Utd and Chelsea will keep us out of the top 4"

All baloney chicken little posts.

Chelsea will have a blip. All teams do. At least we have 22 games to "claw back" 6 points.

FFS lads, get a grip and enjoy the football, it's a fun season this year, with some beautiful ball being played!

This place sometimes...

Do or die at the weekend? Are ya mad?

Remember the
    "city have this league sewn up this year" posts?
    "Mourinho and Utd are the ones to fear this year?"
    "Liverpool, City, Utd and Chelsea will keep us out of the top 4"

All baloney chicken little posts.

Chelsea will have a blip. All teams do. At least we have 22 games to "claw back" 6 points.

FFS lads, get a grip and enjoy the football, it's a fun season this year, with some beautiful ball being played!

And Jose's united too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭yknaa

Sure ye only have to look at the city v Chelsea match, when aguero done luiz the Chelsea lads were over like a shot, couldn't see our players doing that in anything other than a half hearted way!

Remember gentleman Charlie Adam assaulting Sanchez? Not an Arsenal player in sight to back him up. As mentioned at the time, PV4, TA6 etc would not have let that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How many here had heard of him

(I'm sure most will claim they had...)

Why do you want the Austrian guy?

yknaa wrote: »
    Remember gentleman Charlie Adam assaulting Sanchez? Not an Arsenal player in sight to back him up. As mentioned at the time, PV4, TA6 etc would not have let that happen.

too busy celebrating the goal I suppose

• Advertisement

too busy celebrating the goal I suppose

Celebrate no problem, but first chance you get to smash him do it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement