Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There are plenty of teams who win leagues without having blips.
    Our Invincibles for one. Chelsea didn't lose too many games or did City or Leicester.
    Man Utd won many leagues without any serious blips.
    And we haven't even spoken about Barca, Real etc.

Blips are not compulsory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

yknaa wrote: »
    Remember gentleman Charlie Adam assaulting Sanchez? Not an Arsenal player in sight to back him up. As mentioned at the time, PV4, TA6 etc would not have let that happen.

Pretty sure Vieira and Adams wouldn't be too impressed with being called PV4 and TA6 either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Sundays game is huge feel it is a must win for keeping close to Chelsea and for the teams mentality ,if we lose and Chelsea win regardless of teams having bad patches and there due one we will not win the league 9 points and far too inconsistent yeah that's only are second defeat of the season but some bad draws there too even tough we stole a point at united we should have beaten that team the time we got them!
    Sanchez fitness is huge and just goes to show now important mustafi has been for us. If we can keep second for Christmas ip be happy have a hinch Everton will do us a favour against Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Pretty sure Vieira and Adams wouldn't be too impressed with being called PV4 and TA6 either :p

I'm sure they're not bothered either way

There are plenty of teams who win leagues without having blips.
    Our Invincibles for one. Chelsea didn't lose too many games or did City or Leicester.
    Man Utd won many leagues without any serious blips.
    And we haven't even spoken about Barca, Real etc.

Blips are not compulsory.

We've only lost 2 to be fair. No one has lost less this season

• Advertisement

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Celebrate no problem, but first chance you get to smash him do it!!

Why do we need to resort to that?

(Not against it per ce, a sly dig to let him know I prefer. Nothing obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

mansize wrote: »
    Why do we need to resort to that?

(Not against it per ce, a sly dig to let him know I prefer. Nothing obvious

I dont mean a red card smash him, first bad touch he takes take ball and man into the stands

We've only lost 2 to be fair. No one has lost less this season

That's not my point at all.
    I'm saying that you don't have to have a blip. People are expecting teams to have blips as if they're compulsory. Leagues have been won many times without blips. Expecting Chelsea to have one is foolish imo. That's why we cannot afford to go 9 points behind them.

That's not my point at all.
    I'm saying that you don't have to have a blip. People are expecting teams to have blips as if they're compulsory. Leagues have been won many times without blips. Expecting Chelsea to have one is foolish imo. That's why we cannot afford to go 9 points behind them.

Chelsea had theirs already

Chelsea had theirs already

Not much of a blip if they're 9 points ahead by Christmas.

• Advertisement

Who heard of Wenger in '96?

Wenger had won a league with Monaco and Bayern had wanted him to be their manager. Also Wenger had alot of experience in the game at that stage.
    Sometimes you can get a Wenger and other times you can get a Christian Gross or Andre Villas Boas.

Wenger had won a league with Monaco and Bayern had wanted him to be their manager. Also Wenger had alot of experience in the game at that stage.
    Sometimes you can get a Wenger and other times you can get a Christian Gross or Andre Villas Boas.

He was away in Japan for some time, when did Bayern want him?

Not much of a blip if they're 9 points ahead by Christmas.

They recovered. I thought they were 6 points clear???

He was away in Japan for some time, when did Bayern want him?

When he won the league with Monaco, Bayern were in talks to make him manager for the following season. Wenger stayed loyal after a bit of persuasion from Monaco. https://books.google.ie/books?id=92dibTyUbo0C&pg=PA16&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

I can remember just before AW got the Arsenal job, Glenn Hoddle was looking for him to come on board as his assistant with England.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Sanchez says he's happy to stay - Says Arsenal just have to "show confidence in him"
    The ball is firmly in our court - lets just give him the money and get it sorted!

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Sanchez says he's happy to stay - Says Arsenal just have to "show confidence in him"
    The ball is firmly in our court - lets just give him the money and get it sorted!

What level of confidence though? half a million per week? Is he (or any player for that matter) worth this level of dosh?

What level of confidence though? half a million per week? Is he (or any player for that matter) worth this level of dosh?

A few posters here are well worth that, based on their managerial skills :P

Seriously though, I think the big thing seems to be between Ozil and Sanchez. They both want huge increases, and apparently if the club can't satisfy both, then Ozil will be the one they let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Basil3 wrote: »

Seriously though, I think the big thing seems to be between Ozil and Sanchez. They both want huge increases, and apparently if the club can't satisfy both, then Ozil will be the one they let go.
    Great piece on Hector. Fantastic to have the best right back in the league at our club. Hopefully his head will continue not to be turned.

Why Héctor Bellerín said no to Pep Guardiola and Manchester City

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/16/hector-bellerin-pep-guardiola-manchester-city?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Apparently Ozil has bought a new home in London, so you'd be fairly confident he'll stay, Alexis can get X amount of pounds at any club, we just need to come close to matching that, as he seems fairly happy with us.

• Advertisement

I'd rather Özil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Sanchez has been directly responsible for far more points than Ozil and is a much more reliable player overall despite ozil being a very pretty footballer at times.

domrush wrote: »
    Sanchez has been directly responsible for far more points than Ozil and is a much more reliable player overall despite ozil being a very pretty footballer at times.

If i had to pick one id pick Sanchez too but its a close call to be honest. Id prefer a Sanchez type of player that brings tenacity and brilliance to the table

I think the thing is that Arsenal have no problem digging up creative midfielders. It's a striker scoring goals that is always their problem.....which is why if you had to choose, you'd see why they'd go for Sanchez over Ozil.

Sanchez loses the ball... a lot and his final ball against Everton was v poor

But why argue! I want both to stay- sell Walcott and Oxo

But why argue! I want both to stay- sell Walcott and Oxo

Im not sure id pay half a million per week for either if im being completely honest although admittedly they will get it elsewhere (perhaps double or treble in china).

I agree re Ox and Theo. Both need to be sold. Theo has had 11 years at the club and has continously faltered when the heat has come on.

Im not sure id pay half a million per week for either if im being completely honest although admittedly they will get it elsewhere (perhaps double or treble in china).

I agree re Ox and Theo. Both need to be sold. Theo has had 11 years at the club and has continously faltered when the heat has come on.

If £500,000 is the rate for WC players - pay it

It's not, though.

• Advertisement

It's not, though.

What's the rate?

Can live with Walcott and Ox if they're competing for one position to be honest, think the competition would spur em both on. Walcott gets a lotta stick for his attitude and tendency to go missing sometimes but he has 10 goals in 17 appearances and while his defensive side needs work he's still improved his tracking back this season. Ozil was as anonymous as anyone mid week but he's gotten nowhere near the level of stick as Walcott. People say because he's a creative player he gets a pass but he created **** all and had no control over the tempo of the game either. I love Ozil but its one rule for him and another for Walcott it seems.

Think Iwobi is a long way off the standard despite a bright spark to the season. Get Draxler in, let Wenger work his magic with him on the left wing and let Ox and Walcott battle it out for the right.

What's the rate?

Take the wages of the best player in the world. It's below that.

Can live with Walcott and Ox if they're competing for one position to be honest, think the competition would spur em both on. Walcott gets a lotta stick for his attitude and tendency to go missing sometimes but he has 10 goals in 17 appearances and while his defensive side needs work he's still improved his tracking back this season. Ozil was as anonymous as anyone mid week but he's gotten nowhere near the level of stick as Walcott. People say because he's a creative player he gets a pass but he created **** all and had no control over the tempo of the game either.

Think Iwobi is a long way off the standard despite a bright spark to the season. Get Draxler in, let Wenger work his magic with him on the left wing and let Ox and Walcott battle it out for the right.

Of the matches I've seen Özil has created the majority of arsenals scoring chances.

Theo has had a few good games but inconsistent

Can live with Walcott and Ox if they're competing for one position to be honest, think the competition would spur em both on. Walcott gets a lotta stick for his attitude and tendency to go missing sometimes but he has 10 goals in 17 appearances and while his defensive side needs work he's still improved his tracking back this season. Ozil was as anonymous as anyone mid week but he's gotten nowhere near the level of stick as Walcott. People say because he's a creative player he gets a pass but he created **** all and had no control over the tempo of the game either. I love Ozil but its one rule for him and another for Walcott it seems.

I agree. On top of this it's the ENGLISH premier league. There will always be a place for English players. That's just how it is.

Take the wages of the best player in the world. It's below that.

I was asking what that rate was, I thought you knew it by your answer

• Advertisement

Its a dangerous precedent because its not just world class players that will expect it, you'll have your average joe premier league player at the same club demanding a bump to bring him up to the 'average' because his entourage of gobshítes following him around daily telling him how great he is will hold the club to ransom to get it for him

Ronaldo costs Real £39m a year

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/footballers-with-highest-salary/

He's the ballon d'or winner, there's the benchmark

300k each would be fair considering their impact on the team and the enormous cash available to the club. Seems idiotic to let one of them go over 75k a week or so and then have to take a huge gamble paying 30million plus for another player to come into the team to try recreate what they have. Can't see arsenal (And by Arsenal I mean purely Wenger) going above 250k each to be honest.

No point comparing to Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Suarez, Neymar etc they're not at that level.

Aguero takes in 220k a week. I'd say that he could demand more and the two lads are just below him talent wise, Ozil being a bit further behind Sanchez as a result of strikers having a higher premium.

Its a dangerous precedent because its not just world class players that will expect it, you'll have your average joe premier league player at the same club demanding a bump to bring him up to the 'average' because his entourage of gobshítes following him around daily telling him how great he is will hold the club to ransom to get it for him

That's how salary increases works, see the LUAS train and bus drivers

No, by my answer I know what it's not. Like I know you're not not annoying :P

• Advertisement

300k each would be fair considering their impact on the team and the enormous cash available to the club. Seems idiotic to let one of them go over 75k a week or so and then have to take a huge gamble paying 30million plus for another player to come into the team to try recreate what they have. Can't see arsenal (And by Arsenal I mean purely Wenger) going above 250k each to be honest.

Wenger doesn't decide the wage demands, merely defends the club's position to the press

No, by my answer I know what it's not. Like I know you're not not annoying :P

How droll

Ronaldo costs Real £39m a year

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/footballers-with-highest-salary/

He's the ballon d'or winner, there's the benchmark

Fair to say Ronaldo is in an elite group of 2 and he pays for himself id say with the revenue he generates for the club.

Staggering fact about Ronaldo. He made 190 m revenue in 2015. 22m more than 7 time European Cup winners AC Milan.

20 years ago it was hard to imagine a time where certain players revenue would exceed more than some clubs and not just any club, a club with the history of AC Milan

Fair to say Ronaldo is in an elite group of 2 and he pays for himself id say with the revenue he generates for the club.

Staggering fact about Ronaldo. He made 190 m revenue in 2015. 22m more than 7 time European Cup winners AC Milan.

20 years ago it was hard to imagine a time where certain players revenue would exceed more than some clubs and not just any club, a club with the history of AC Milan

Sanchez and Özil would be the big money spinners for Arsenal

Sanchez and Özil would be the big money spinners for Arsenal

Tbf its another way to look at it i suppose.

If we want to attract top players to put a real challenge on the EPL or UCL we need Özil and Sanchez staying. Ox and Theo inspire mediocrity

Tbf its another way to look at it i suppose.

Takes money to make money

Wenger doesn't decide the wage demands, merely defends the club's position to the press

Don't be naive. Wenger has always been involved in wage negotiations at some level and has made no secret of the fact that he thinks wages these days are hugely inflated despite being one of the highest paid managers in the world himself.

Don't be naive. Wenger has always been involved in wage negotiations at some level and has made no secret of the fact that he thinks wages these days are hugely inflated despite being one of the highest paid managers in the world himself.

He sings from the Arsenal hymn sheet and doesn't bite the hand that feeds him- naive to think otherwise

He is also the club's biggest asset

He sings from the Arsenal hymn sheet and doesn't bite the hand that feeds him- naive to think otherwise

You really think Wenger has no role within wage negotiations whatsoever. After all the public spats with players of the years, mainly Walcott. He even said a few years ago he sets the wages at Arsenal

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement