Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

domrush wrote: »
    You really think Wenger has no role within wage negotiations whatsoever. After all the public spats with players of the years, mainly Walcott. He even said a few years ago he sets the wages at Arsenal

He'd have a say, not the final say. Remember the club sold RvP against his (Wenger) wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

mansize wrote: »
    He'd have a say, not the final say. Remember the club sold RvP against his wishes

I think the main reason RVP left was to win medals, not over money. Didn't his statement say that financial terms wern't discussed, that he wasn't happy with the talent the club was bringing in to compete?

domrush wrote: »
    I think the main reason RVP left was to win medals, not over money. Didn't his statement say that financial terms wern't discussed, that he wasn't happy with the talent the club was bringing in to compete?

The club agreed to sell him, they didn't have to

The club agreed to sell him, they didn't have to

To keep him and let him off to United for nothing would have been madness. 24m was a good price for an injury prone 28/29 year old

To keep him and let him off to United for nothing would have been madness. 24m was a good price for an injury prone 28/29 year old

24m was a good price for the title too unfortunately :(

And wasted how much on his replacement, Podolski... he'd a huge wage bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Yeh too right,AW blew the RVP money on duds.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Yeh too right,AW blew the RVP money on duds.

Giroud proved to be excellent value tbf

• Advertisement

Monreal and Santi around then too

Id say Cazorla was the only world class player out of the 4
    Monreal ok so so
    Giroud a great sub
    Podolski injured flop
    IMO of course

Podolski is a good player. Full German international. He should have been played up front as part of a two man strike force though but we were using Giroud with support from midfield. Only my opinion. I thought Arshavin should have been played more central too but that is neither here nor there now.

Monreal is a bit better than OK so so.

Not many better left backs in the league

Podolski is a good player. Full German international. He should have been played up front as part of a two man strike force though but we were using Giroud with support from midfield. Only my opinion. I thought Arshavin should have been played more central too but that is neither here nor there now.

Luckily things took off for him afterwards eh???

Luckily things took off for him afterwards eh???

That has nothing got to do with anything.

If they were as bad as you suggest then why did our great manager decide to buy these 2 established internationals ??? You would swear they were two youngsters who flopped and ended up in Raith Rovers the way you go on. Podolski has had a fairly decent career irregardless. He's not as good as Sanchez but he is far better then Theo.

Arshavin had a questionable attitude ill agree but was a quality player even if it doesnt suit your narrative. Dont forget he was 28 when he signed for us and Wenger stuck him in a wide position for most of the time

• Advertisement

Giroud proved to be excellent value tbf

Ill agree with this. I think he has been a success.

That has nothing got to do with anything.

If they were as bad as you suggest then why did our great manager decide to buy these 2 established internationals ??? You would swear they were two youngsters who flopped and ended up in Raith Rovers the way you go on. Podolski has had a fairly decent career irregardless. He's not as good as Sanchez but he is far better then Theo.

Arshavin had a questionable attitude ill agree but was a quality player even if it doesnt suit your narrative. Dont forget he was 28 when he signed for us and Wenger stuck him in a wide position for most of the time

Podoski was more into Twitter and being mates with fans than football. Scoring the odd goal doesn't mean his signing was an abject failure. He hasn't improved since he left so apart from signing him I don't blame Wenger for being a flop.

Arshavin got very lazy and petulant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I always felt that Podolski was a little past his best when he signed for us, on saying that he's had a career that far exceeds most players. I wouldnt say he was a flop at Arsenal either, he still had a very good goal scoring record for us considering he was used mainly as a sub

Podoski was more into Twitter and being mates with fans than football. Scoring the odd goal doesn't mean his signing was an abject failure. He hasn't improved since he left so apart from signing him I don't blame Wenger for being a flop.

Arshavin got very lazy and petulant

Ah yes hes the only footballer in the whole wide world to use twitter :rolleyes:

Such utter nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wonga77 wrote: »
    I always felt that Podolski was a little past his best when he signed for us, on saying that he's had a career that far exceeds most players. I wouldnt say he was a flop at Arsenal either, he still had a very good goal scoring record for us considering he was used mainly as a sub
    I thought he was the best finisher in the club for a couple of years, just offered very little else. I liked him

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    I thought he was the best finisher in the club for a couple of years, just offered very little else. I liked him

We needed a finisher, he should have been used as one. Not stuck out on the wing

Ah yes hes the only footballer in the whole wide world to use twitter :rolleyes:

Such utter nonsense

Yes, cos that's what I said /reductive

We needed a finisher, he should have been used as one. Not stuck out on the wing

He finished his career anyway...

He finished his career anyway...

Er no, he's 31 and still playing for Galatasaray :rolleyes: One of the top Turkish teams. Its not Barca but its not a huge step back by any means.

just because you leave the once great club that were Arsenal it doesnt mean your career has just fallen off a cliff. Besides i think that was always just a bs myth anyway from the pro Wenger brigade desperately clutching at their straws.

Er no, he's 31 and still playing for Galatasaray :rolleyes: One of the top Turkish teams. Its not Barca but its not a huge step back by any means.

just because you leave the once great club that were Arsenal it doesnt mean your career has just fallen off a cliff. Besides i think that was always just a bs myth anyway from the pro Wenger brigade desperately clutching at their straws.

Players don't go to Turkey to enhance their career. He flopped at inter also

Irony that you're bigging up the Turkish League- even the Dutch League is held in higher esteem, and cause pro Wenger fans of clutching at straws...

Players don't go to Turkey to enhance their career. He flopped at inter also

Where did i say they did? :confused: I never said he was enhancing his career but it isnt a bad way to close it off by any means. He is 31 now and in the autumn of his career. I think you may be mistaking Podolski with Bendtner. Its ok to admit your mistake no one will give out to you :rolleyes:

As for Inter he had half a season in what is a very defensively minded league. Bergkamp wasnt a roaring success in Italy.

Where did i say they did? :confused: I never said he was enhancing his career but it isnt a bad way to close it off by any means. He is 31 now and in the autumn of his career. I think you may be mistaking Podolski with Bendtner. Its ok to admit your mistake no one will give out to you :rolleyes:

As for Inter he had half a season in what is a very defensively minded league. Bergkamp wasnt a roaring success in Italy.

But he improved afterwards- Posolski didn't

Nice dig at Arsenal's greatest player btw

But he improved afterwards- Posolski disimproved

Ah look your right, he's the worst player to ever ever play for Arsenal in 130 years and the only footballer in the world that used Twitter or instagram. Poor him on making Arsene look so bad :rolleyes:

Jesus H Christ on a bike this thread at times!!

Ah look your right, he's the worst player to ever ever play for Arsenal in 130 years and the only footballer in the world that used Twitter or instagram. Poor him on making Arsene look so bad :rolleyes:

Jesus H Christ on a bike this thread at times!!

When did I say or imply either of those things???

He just mugged Arsenal with his huge pay packet- that's all

• Advertisement

Can't wait for the Bayern game anyway. Even if the ticket cost was €95

Ah here, this is just absolutely pathetic. Bergkamp by his own admission said he found it tough to adapt in Italy in his own autobiography. I wasnt having a dig i was stating a fact spoken by the man himself. You should perhaps get the facts before you twist the argument to suit your agenda. Anyone who was read any post ive made on Bergkamp would know that i was an always be a huge fan of the man but sure keep on moving the goalposts for yourself.

Hardly a dig, Bergkamp never got going in Italy, not exactly an insult. Didnt it work out all the better for us

When did I say or imply either of those things???

He just mugged Arsenal with his huge pay packet- that's all

110 thousand isnt really much even in 2012's terms? We are paying Walcott more and he isnt half the player :confused:

Ah here, this is just absolutely pathetic. Bergkamp by his own admission said he found it tough to adapt in Italy in his own autobiography. I wasnt having a dig i was stating a fact spoken by the man himself. You should perhaps get the facts before you twist the argument to suit your agenda. Anyone who was read any post ive made on Bergkamp would know that i was an always be a huge fan of the man but sure keep on moving the goalposts for yourself.

I just thought it was sly to reference a low point in our greatest player's career to enhance your argument- that's all

110 thousand isnt really much even in 2012's terms? We are paying Walcott more and he isnt half the player :confused:

He was on the same wage as the highest player.

Walcott or Podolski... can I have what's in the box???

Hardly a dig, Bergkamp never got going in Italy, not exactly an insult. Didnt it work out all the better for us

I think it's a bit sly to reference it

He was on the same wage as the highest player.

Walcott or Podolski... can I have what's in the box???

Full German international. He had a good case to ask for those wages. He'd have got double at the likes of City and alot of dross still could be getting more than him, i.e Balotelli

Full German international. He had a good case to ask for those wages. He'd have got double at the likes of City and alot of dross still could be getting more than him, i.e Balotelli

We don't have a rich Arab sand daddy tho

• Advertisement

Oh ya got me :rolleyes: I really hate Bergkamp. Ive been waiting all of these years to have a dig at him and grabbed my opportunity at the first attempt. GROW UP :mad:

Yeah Bergkamp was a snake for saying it too, no need to be ultra defensive all the time

Yeah Bergkamp was a snake for saying it too, no need to be ultra defensive all the time

He didn't use it to reference another player's career- conte t

We don't have a rich Arab sand daddy tho

My point is if we wanted him we had to pay the bit extra for him or else he would have went to City or someone with similar finances and perhaps earned even the bit more. Adebayor was on alot more from what i understand. Now there was a prize w@nker.

He didn't use it to reference another player's career- conte t

???

My point is if we wanted him we had to pay the bit extra for him or else he would have went to City. Adebayor was on alot more from what i understand. Now there was a prize w@nker.

Hope Sanga and Nasri are doing well

• Advertisement

Hope Sanga and Nasri are doing well

Whats that to do with anything? Sagna was a good servant to Arsenal but we let him off because we had bellerin coming through. We also bought Debuchy at the time. Personally i think we should have paid Sagna the bit extra that we bought Debuchy out of buts thats subjective. I hold no bitterness against Sagna. think he was a solid player for us.

Nasri is a w@nker ill agree but he has won 2 league medals since joining City so can argue he has been vindicated in his move

Whats that to do with anything? Sagna was a good servant to Arsenal but we let him off because we had bellerin coming through. We also bought Debuchy at the time. Personally i think we should have paid Sagna the bit extra that we bought Debuchy out of buts thats subjective. I hold no bitterness against Sagna. think he was a solid player for us.

Nasri is a w@nker ill agree but he has won 2 league medals since joining City so can argue he has been vindicated in his move

Did he make enough first team appearances to get a medal?

Did he make enough first team appearances to get a medal?

Easily.

31 in 2011/12 and 34 in 2013/2014

Easily.

31 in 2011/12 and 34 in 2013/2014

They think its all over............:pac:

And so too was RVP,he also won a league medal after he left...Why?

Who's to blame?The eternal question(10yrs really) is the club or the manager?...we could have offered him more money to stay,he did have 1 of the best goal scoring seasons the previous...but he compained about the direction of the club going forward,not money....That is the managers fault,in turn the clubs fault for keeping him on.
    The owners of our club are a disaster,the season we sold RVP we spent nothing;bought 50m,sold 50m..we got Podolski,Monreal,Cazorla and Giroud....that RVP money should have been spent and its wasnt.
    Im glad Arsene is still here,I feel he is saving this club from the owners.
    He is not the man to take the club forward on the pitch though,in a players mind its what they see on the pitch,the football team RVP played for was not getting any better,thats the managers job...progress...
    I really really REALLY want Arsene to win the title for us,the PL,CL will do;),
    sadly my optimism in his ability get us to the top is diminishing,mainly I feel because our owners are not ambitious,happy to be profitable.
    If Arsene is not good enough,neither are our owners.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement