Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

gitzy16v wrote: »
    And so too was RVP,he also won a league medal after he left...Why?

Who's to blame?The eternal question(10yrs really) is the club or the manager?...we could have offered him more money to stay,he did have 1 of the best goal scoring seasons the previous...but he compained about the direction of the club going forward,not money....That is the managers fault,in turn the clubs fault for keeping him on.
    The owners of our club are a disaster,the season we sold RVP we spent nothing;bought 50m,sold 50m..we got Podolski,Monreal,Cazorla and Giroud....that RVP money should have been spent and its wasnt.
    Im glad Arsene is still here,I feel he is saving this club from the owners.
    He is not the man to take the club forward on the pitch though,in a players mind its what they see on the pitch,the football team RVP played for was not getting any better,thats the managers job...progress...
    I really really REALLY want Arsene to win the title for us,the PL,CL will do;),
    sadly my optimism in his ability get us to the top is diminishing,mainly I feel because our owners are not ambitious,happy to be profitable.
    If Arsene is not good enough,neither are our owners.

Alot of truth in what you say. I dont believe for one second though that Arsene on 8m a year is the good guy trying to operate against all the odds and stubbon out of touch owners though. He is as much part of the problem. He is long past it. I do hope he proves me wrong but same story Tuesday night. The heat came on and the boys wilted in the heat of battle. We made James McCarthy look like Roy Keane

Arsene is still at Arsenal because he loves control and he is given free reigns at the club. He may as well be one of the owners. If Wenger really found it difficult at Arsenal he would be gone years ago. Fact is he is unsackable and has the same power Ferguson has at United.

Wenger done alot of good for Arsenal but football has moved on. If he does love the club like we are led to believe then he needs to step aside at the end of the season and walk away. We may get a top manager or we may also get someone who just doesnt work out but at the moment, Arsenal fans want the club to make the best maximum effort possible to win the league and under Arsene Wenger we are not going to do that. Under Arsene Wenger, Theo Walcott is a lifer at the club. Thats a plain honest fact. Mediocrity spends 11 years at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Arsene is still at Arsenal because he loves control and he is given free reigns at the club. He may as well be one of the owners. If Wenger really found it difficult at Arsenal he would be gone years ago. Fact is he is unsackable and has the same power Ferguson has at United.

Wenger done alot of good for Arsenal but football has moved on. If he does love the club like we are led to believe then he needs to step aside at the end of the season and walk away. We may get a top manager or we may also get someone who just doesnt work out but at the moment, Arsenal fans want the club to make the best maximum effort possible to win the league and under Arsene Wenger we are not going to do that. Under Arsene Wenger, Theo Walcott is a lifer at the club. Thats a plain honest fact. Mediocrity spends 11 years at the club.

I feel Arsene loves this club,I dont feel money or an easy ride is what he's after.He's 5th or 6th highest paid in the world,we make the 1/4 finals/last 16 of the CL most years,he's not outrageously paid.
    Thats why I think his time is up,either,he cant get the best from the resources he has been given(I think somebody could do the same or better)
    or/and he's too embedded in the club's direction of CL qually every year..pays the bills..Neither is good.
    I hope its because he's been working under restrictions from above,I love the man,a legend of our club,have no shame in saying"Arsene Wenger is the one of the most positively influential people in our club's history"
    We need new owners,as much as a new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think Arsene knows his time as manager is coming to an end tbf

I hop there is a transitional period with his successor and that he will still have a place at Arsenal Football Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mansize wrote: »

I hop there is a transitional period with his successor and that he will still have a place at Arsenal Football Club

I really hope the club is doing work behind the scenes on succession planning. On how the club will work post Wenger. The club would struggle financially and wouldn't be as able to cope with a Man Utd type slump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I really hope the club is doing work behind the scenes on succession planning. On how the club will work post Wenger. The club would struggle financially and wouldn't be as able to cope with a Man Utd type slump.

greendom wrote: »

This would be my biggest fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont see why the clubs finances would go down the toilet if Wenger left? The stadium would still be a sellout every week and the sponsors arent going to just disappear.
    Ye are completely forgetting one other teeny tiny thing. Theres a chance that we might actually push on with a new manager?

I think its unreasonable in ways comparing the possibility of Wenger going to the same as what happened to United. Fergie won 5 of the previous 7 titles, was going out at the absolute top, once again as a pl champion and obviously any new manager coming in had an near impossible job to keep them up there. He also did everything in his power to win that final title and left a fairly poor squad for Moyes to take over. Thats one thing I will give to Wenger, bar 2 or 3 that I dont think are good enough for a team challenging, he has the squad in pretty good shape, so for me Fergie got the best out of a poor squad and I feel a better manager could get more out of our squad.

Yeah, of course there always the chance that we slide down to 7th or 8th even though Id highly doubt it and then theres always the chance that we kick on and improve that 10% that could bring us a league title

If the transition is properly managed the chances of success are greater

If the transition is properly managed the chances of success are greater

Absolutely, but a proper transition is possible without Wenger too, Fergie was involved in Moyes appointment and that didnt work out. No reason why the board cant manage and integrate a new manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

wonga77 wrote: »
    Absolutely, but a proper transition is possible without Wenger too, Fergie was involved in Moyes appointment and that didnt work out. No reason why the board cant manage and integrate a new manager

The board are more of a hindrance than a help if you ask me. I wouldn't be putting all my hopes on them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

But chances are the new manager will fail.

Arsenal really need to hold out for someone special, the next Klopp, Conte or Simeone.

Else you end up being caught in the same cycle as other big clubs but with significantly less cash to spend.

If we end up on that merry-go-round we'll lose.

Fergie was looking out for Fergie- he left his successor nothing to build on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We had very successful managers before Wenger came.
    We will have very successful managers after Wenger leaves.
    We are Arsenal.

We had very successful managers before Wenger came.
    We will have very successful managers after Wenger leaves.
    We are Arsenal.

None more successful that him though

Not of late though ;)

96-06 indisputablely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

9 points behind Chelsea now after their 11th win on the bounce only conceding 2 goals. Pretty impressive by them to be fair.

Massive game now for both Man City and us. Both will need the win as I don't think a draw helps out either side if going for the title. Time for the Arsenal players to step up and put that disappointing performance on Tuesday behind them.

Fergie was looking out for Fergie- he left his successor nothing to build on

So your agreeing with me? Thats why I dont understand people who say that when Wenger leaves that we will go the same way as Utd when Fergie left.

Wenger has the club in fantastic shape to move on to the next level, both financially and personel wise. Ferguson only left a mess for the new manager to clean up, he wasnt worried about a single thing when he stepped out the door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Ferguson only left a mess for the new manager to clean up, he wasnt worried about a single thing when he stepped out the door
    What a load of tosh, he left the new manager a squad of Premier champions!! Everything that has happened since merely sums up the greatness of Ferguson.

• Advertisement

What a load of tosh, he left the new manager a squad of Premier champions!! Everything that has happened since merely sums up the greatness of Ferguson.

I think it more sums up how good he was that he got them to win the league. Players like Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Giggs all played vital roles but were coming to the end of their Utd careers, hardly ideal going forward. Throw in the likes of Cleverly, Anderson, Nani and there was alot of average players also.
    Unfortunately for us, Van Persie shot the lights out and that was what won it for Fergie, think he got some 30 odd goals.
    That team wouldnt have got close to some of the previous squads he had built, in my opinion obviously

9 behind Chelsea in 1st, 4 clear of United in 6th, tomorrow will tell us a lot.

9 behind Chelsea in 1st, 4 clear of United in 6th, tomorrow will tell us a lot.

Indeed. Tomorrow will tell us a whole lot.
    If we win we're still in it. Lose or even draw then we will be cut adrift and we still have to go to Chelsea. 8/9 points behind at Christmas would be a bridge too far for us in my opinion. Chelsea are playing really well while we're hit and miss.

96-06 indisputablely

You can't pick and chose years. He has had a record breaking tenure

A team that won cos everyone else we're in dissarray - an aging squad with nothing coming through - he signed post peak players at the end - he didn't leave any real foundation to build on.

Indeed. Tomorrow will tell us a whole lot.
    If we win we're still in it. Lose or even draw then we will be cut adrift and we still have to go to Chelsea. 8/9 points behind at Christmas would be a bridge too far for us in my opinion. Chelsea are playing really well while we're hit and miss.

Chelsea will be champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Huge huge game, I honestly dont think we will win it BUT I really want us to show up and give it 110% from the get go and get at them from the whistle, nothing ****in worse being an Arsenal supporter then getting beaten when we dont give it a REAL GO. We do that too much....they are beatable when stood up to and attacked, unfortunately it depends which Arsenal show up!

If we give it socks and lose then fair enough.....just show some steel boys.

COYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

gosplan wrote: »
    But chances are the new manager will fail.

Arsenal really need to hold out for someone special, the next Klopp, Conte or Simeone.

Else you end up being caught in the same cycle as other big clubs but with significantly less cash to spend.

If we end up on that merry-go-round we'll lose.

Not sure what you mean by "fail". We have already failed to win the Champions League and Premier League for the past 10 years, the only failure I can imagine would be coming below 4th place but I think that is a risk that has to be taken. We don't really stand a chance in the Champions League anyway so for me personally I wouldn't mind if a new manager came in and in the adjustment process cost us a year or two of CL football.

Wenger is a fantastic manager and I am all for him but I do think considering what we have now as complete success for a club of our stature is a bit much. We're doing fine, maybe more than fine, but we should be aiming to win one of the big two trophies at some stage in the next five years.

Not sure what you mean by "fail". We have already failed to win the Champions League and Premier League for the past 10 years, the only failure I can imagine would be coming below 4th place but I think that is a risk that has to be taken. We don't really stand a chance in the Champions League anyway so for me personally I wouldn't mind if a new manager came in and in the adjustment process cost us a year or two of CL football.

Wenger is a fantastic manager and I am all for him but I do think considering what we have now as complete success for a club of our stature is a bit much. We're doing fine, maybe more than fine, but we should be aiming to win one of the big two trophies at some stage in the next five years.

Granted but the idea that we have a year or two adjustment before settling down is inaccurate. Chances are the new manager, and the one after, and the one after will only last a couple of years just like Chelsea, Utd, City and Liverpool.

I don't really mind too much either way because as people said, we're not winning a whole lot now, but with less spend than those other clubs, we'll be more likely to be in a fight for CL spots with the odd 6th/7th and the odd 3rd.

Time for Ozil and Sanchez to show their true worth today. Nothing short of outstanding will satisfy me today, especially with all this crazy contract talk in the background!

L'prof wrote: »
    Time for Ozil and Sanchez to show their true worth today. Nothing short of outstanding will satisfy me today, especially with all this crazy contract talk in the background!

Time for Xhaka and Coq to protect Özil the way Viera protected Pires

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that City's new habit of passing it around at the back combined withSanchez closing everything down like a maniac will get is something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thought that I would post this before the match. Wasnt bothered after Tuesdays game. Win or bust today.

Player|League Goals|Total Goals|League Assists|Total Assists
    Sanchez|12|14|5|8
    Walcott|7|10|2|2
    Ozil|5|9|2|5
    Oxlade Chamberlain|2|6|4|6
    Giroud|3|5|1|2
    Perez|0|5|0|3
    Xhaka|1|3|0|0
    Cazorla|2|2|2|3
    Koscielny|2|2|0|0
    Iwobi|1|2|3|3
    Own Goal|1|2|0|0
    Chambers|1|1|0|0
    Ramsey|0|0|1|2
    Elneny|0|0|1|2
    Bellerin|0|0|2|2
    Gibbs|0|0|1|2
    Akpom|0|0|0|1
    Monreal|0|0|1|1
    Mustafi|0|0|1|1

I'm hoping that City's new habit of passing it around at the back combined withSanchez closing everything down like a maniac will get is something.

Yup, put Stones under some major pressure.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yup, put Stones under some major pressure.

We're better up front, in midfield and at the back.

I'd like KDB obviously but without Ageuro and the two CMF's, there's a decent enough gulf in class between the two teams that take the field today.

Will be very disappointed if we don't produce a good performance.

We're better up front, in midfield and at the back.

I'd like KDB obviously but without Ageuro and the two CMF's, there's a decent enough gulf in class between the two teams that take the field today.

Will be very disappointed if we don't produce a good performance.

Yeah, I think more people are bothered how we play than the result. That said, if we play with the right attitude, we should get the result.

I'm pretty interested to see what side we play. I can't really see any major changes from the last team we played. Ox is working hard on one wing, and for all the grief Theo gets, the only player who's not a CF and has more goals than him this season is Hazard. He just needs to go back to the work rate he had a bit earlier in the season.

Yeah, I think more people are bothered how we play than the result. That said, if we play with the right attitude, we should get the result.

I'm pretty interested to see what side we play. I can't really see any major changes from the last team we played. Ox is working hard on one wing, and for all the grief Theo gets, the only player who's not a CF and has more goals than him this season is Hazard. He just needs to go back to the work rate he had a bit earlier in the season.

Think maybe Walcott does better with Iwobi than Ox. Maybe more people looking for the pass or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I love the way Wilshere just glides past players in the centre of the pitch. It's a side to his game fans of other clubs never notice, but is very beneficial for moving into the last third of the pitch.

Got an assist for the one goal for Bournemouth as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I wont care if we are battered and get a 1 nil win with a dodgy penalty. Any win will do i want the result

I wont care if we are battered and get a 1 nil win with a dodgy penalty. Any win will do i want the result

Generally I'd agree, but the nature of the result could set the team up nicely for the Christmas period...or not

I love the way Wilshere just glides past players in the centre of the pitch. It's a side to his game fans of other clubs never notice, but is very beneficial for moving into the last third of the pitch.

Got an assist for the one goal for Bournemouth as well!

Was Wenger right to send him out on time to get more experience

• Advertisement

Think maybe Walcott does better with Iwobi than Ox. Maybe more people looking for the pass or something.

Good call. Iwobi in for ox

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/810499913939304448

Walcott anytime!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Was Wenger right to send him out on time to get more experience

100% right

Walcott anytime!!!

Yeah I think the Ox is a better all round player than Walcott, but Walcott is more of a goal threat and gets the nod. Hopefully he doesn't go through the motions like he did last Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

John Stones not playing saddens me

Last 3 things of note I've seen Wilshere do in this match is 2 poor passes that were intercepted, and allowing someone to take the ball from him when he was in a good attacking position.

Is Perez injured?

Is Perez injured?

Nope, on the bench today.

That City backline on paper looks really weak. Bravo, Otamendi, Clichy, Kolarov, Zabaleta. Looks old, slow and is there to be attacked. They haven't got a recognised striker on the pitch either. Massive opportunity here.

• Advertisement

Expect plenty of attacks targeting our left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement