Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can I ask a question without being cast to the lions?

Would it be the end of the world if we sold Sanchez and Ozil for current market value (rather then let them leave on a FREE) and bought Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Antoine Griezmann with the profits? Id say we would have to pay the same wages but the end product would be a hell of alot more!

I certainly feel it would be a better team TBH.

*Obviously it would have to be under new management or else they would end up in positions they never played before :rolleyes:

Real Madrid is where Aubameyang wants to go when he eventually leaves Dortmund as he is a huge fan and the rumour is Real Madrid have a deal with Dortmund that they have the first option to buy him if he is sold.

Griezmann wants to play for United, he is a United fan, and has said recently he wants to play club football with Pogba, and the rumour is United have been working on a deal and that he will be a United player in the summer.

So I don't think either is a real option for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

gandalf wrote: »
    Feck it looks like December is our new November!

Ha! Needed a laugh today after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Would it be the end of the world if we sold Sanchez and Ozil for current market value (rather then let them leave on a FREE) and bought Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Antoine Griezmann with the profits? Id say we would have to pay the same wages but the end product would be a hell of alot more!

*Obviously it would have to be under new management or else they would end up in positions they never played before :rolleyes:

Why do we have to sell our two best players to get another two good players? (rhetorical question!!)

You won't see City, Chelsea or United at that sh*t, they'll go out and buy what they need.

Unfortunately that's the way the game is gone and if Arsenal want to win a league or Champions League they have to do the same.

With Wenger in charge this will not happen.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Id rather Eddie Howe...tbf;can work on a shoestring budget,motivates players beyond their abilities,the team is more than the sum of its parts.
    We need rid of the owners if anyone thinks a new top top manager can come in and splash the cash on top players under this shower that own the club,we are sadly mistaken,Wenger is happy to make the money,owners happy receiving it.
    Total change from top to bottom,this club should be one of the best in the world.
    No fcuking ambition shown by owners,if they had any they'd sack AW.

I agree re the owners.

When Peter Hill-wood stepped down, Chips Keswick stepped in. Keswick offers nothing different to Hill-wood and Kroenke is the same side of the one coin....probably worse. They are ran for profit not trophies.

On the other hand, Wengers tactics are tired and his team of pampered brats are no longer interested in making an effort for him.

As I say to everyone, there's no point. Usually a team in our situation is a player or 2 from being good. That's us for over 5 years. Well win nothing with Wenger. We don't have a weak link on the pitch.

If they leave it just means more profit along with general mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I agree re the owners.

On the other hand, Wengers tactics are tired and his team of pampered brats are no longer interested in making an effort for him.

Exactly why id be happy with Eddie Howe,harder to change the owners than the manager...no point getting in billy big balls managers who spend for success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

What, wanting the team to show a desire to win trophies is a fad? Put the shovel down and stop digging will you its getting embarrassing at this stage.

We won trophies, lots of them

Exactly why id be happy with Eddie Howe,harder to change the owners than the manager...no point getting in billy big balls managers who spend for success

It would be a big step up for Howe and he would end up on Bruce Rioch avenue after taking a left at Billy Wright lane

mansize wrote: »

Major ones?(FA cups dont count as you well know)

If you put current Wenger in charge of "That" team, we would only finish top 4.

That's sound logic 🤔🤔🤔

• Advertisement

Major ones?(FA cups dont count as you well know)

So only UCL or EPL???

Big spending Liverpool won 0 of those in the last 10 years

From 1998 - 2005 :rolleyes: Thanks for joining us, obviously the basis of our discussion has been the decline since 2005 and a justifiable perception that a lack of ambition exists within the club from those on the pitch, to those on the sideline, to those in the boardroom. Yes we have a new stadium and yes it had to be paid for but that doesnt excuse 11 players not bothered their arse to even try.

We have won two trophies in the 11 seasons since then and havent won the league since 2004.

Why am i even bothering explaining these obvious facts to you at this stage?

That's sound logic 🤔🤔🤔

I dont think you are in any position to preach to someone on their use of logic.

From 1998 - 2005 :rolleyes: Thanks for joining us, obviously the basis of our discussion has been the decline since 2005 and a justifiable perception that a lack of ambition exists within the club from those on the pitch, to those on the sideline, to those in the boardroom. Yes we have a new stadium and yes it had to be paid for but that doesnt excuse 11 players not bothered their arse to even try.

We have won two trophies in the 11 seasons since then and havent won the league since 2004.

Why am i even bothering explaining these obvious facts to you at this stage?

How many English sides won these 2 trophies in that period?

I dont think you are in any position to preach to someone on their use of logic.

Have you explained my grammatical errors yet, before you accuse me of flawed logic?

The same bluffer who preaches that Leicester were an anomaly wants a rookie unknown coach and not only that but he wants Wenger to hold his hand. You couldnt make some of this shít up. Fúck it, Eddie Howe has more credentials then that Hasenhuttl.

I'd give him time. I don't expect instant success

Its not amazing,its mediocre.

So medicore how many teams achieved it??

Oh please....do try harder. That argument is pathetic :rolleyes:

Your arguments have been thoroughly evidence based of course

Quazzie wrote: »
    Haven't been on lately with Xmas and all, but I noticed there is nine full pages of posts to read. Exciting times. Lots to catch up on.

After half a page or so I quickly realised that the majority of these posts were made my Lazarus who still hasn't quiet managed to learn how to use multi-quote. It maybe that's just another of the latest fads.

Anyways. Its that time if year again. Wenger out - Wenger in - Wenger out and shake it all about!

Can't multiquote on m.boards.ie

• Advertisement

It would be a big step up for Howe and he would end up on Bruce Rioch avenue after taking a left at Billy Wright lane

At this stage Id give him a shot,this group of players are capable of top 4 with anybody managing them I feel...I want change,something different,this is terrible year after year after year...

So medicore how many teams achieved it??

You keep blathering on about other teams,I want Arsenal to be the best,to compete for the title or CL at least,we are neither.
    We are not the best Arsenal we can be,THATS THE POINT.
    Who cares how we do compared to Liverpool,Spurs,Utd or whoever else...
    This Arsenal team can be better and its not because of Arsene Wenger

How many English sides won these 2 trophies in that period?

Since 2005

Man City won 2 leagues, 1 FA cup, 2 league cups
    Chelsea won four leagues, 3 FA cups, a champions league, 3 league cups
    Man United won 5 leagues 07 08 09 11 and 13, a champions league in 08, 3 league cup in 06,09 and 2010
    Liverpool won a champions league in 2005, an fa cup in 06 and a league cup in 2012.

Its not even the winning or losing of the trophies thats the crux its the manner in which they are lost. Just down tools.

Funny when I proffer my opinions I'm not met with as much vitriol and hostility...

Since 2005

Man City won 2 leagues, 1 FA cup, 2 league cups
    Chelsea won four leagues, 3 FA cups, a champions league, 3 league cups
    Man United won 5 leagues 07 08 09 11 and 13, a champions league in 08, 3 league cup in 06,09 and 2010
    Liverpool won a champions league in 2005, an fa cup in 06 and a league cup in 2012.

Its not even the winning or losing of the trophies thats the crux its the manner in which they are lost. Just down tools.

After 05, otherwise it would have been 3 FA Cups for us

Since 2005

Man City won 2 leagues
    Chelsea won four leagues, 3 a champions league,
    Man United won 5 leagues 07 08 09 11 and 13, a champions league in 08
    Leicester won League once

FYP- So that's just 4 clubs

• Advertisement

After 05, otherwise it would have been 3 FA Cups for us

Like the Fianna Fail motto back in 2011, 'Only two bad years'

Delusional, out of touch people tend to spark an angry reaction.

Yet doesn't happen at Arsenal??? 🤔🤔🤔

Like the Fianna Fail motto back in 2011, 'Only two bad years'

Let's keep the recovery going

Funny when I proffer my opinions I'm not met with as much vitriol and hostility...

Maybe if you actually posted an opinion instead of 1 line answers to everybody you might have a point

Maybe if you actually posted an opinion instead of 1 line answers to everybody you might have a point

I have posted my opinion- I've posted more than one line answers too.
    Glib responses aren't great either

• Advertisement

Is this meant to be your counter argument?

Now you get it...4 clubs have won more than us...we finish top 4 every year....I see a pattern emerging 4th best since 05....not good enough

Now you get it...4 clubs have won more than us...we finish top 4 every year....I see a pattern emerging 4th best since 05....not good enough

So 87 league clubs have done worse...

Context lads, context.

My mates support Leeds and QPR and Spurs (as well as Liverpool and United)

I know how to contextualise success

I have posted my opinion- I've posted more than one line answers too.
    Glib responses aren't great either

Two lines getting better:Dl....
    Ive no animosity towards you,certainly no vitriol in my posts.
    A differing opinion maybe.

Your arguments have been thoroughly evidence based of course

What evidence do you want exactly that our results haven't already confirmed?

Again with comparing us to other clubs...
    We are a top club,we should be doing better than what we are its quite simple really.

Two lines getting better:Dl....
    Ive no animosity towards you,certainly no vitriol in my posts.
    A differing opinion maybe.

Not you tbf

Again with comparing us to other clubs...
    We are a top club,we should be doing better than what we are its quite simple really.

Leeds Sheffield Wednesday and Everton were top clubs when I was growing up

What evidence do you want exactly that our results haven't already confirmed?

Were 4th. Ahead of Spurs United and 14 other EPL teams
    We won our UCL group

Evidence like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

And that right there is why you get met with "vitriol and hostility" as you put it.
    There are plenty here who I disagree with, but they make their points in a constructive fashion so its easy to see where they are coming from and take them seriously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mansize, apologies but every time this happens you take your frustration out by taking on the entire forum.

I'm giving you a virtual hug now - it's OK.

On the Wenger thing, I firmly believe he'll always be 3rd or 4th but will never break 80 points.

You rightly point out that that's way better than most.

But what's the point?

wonga77 wrote: »
    And that right there is why you get met with "vitriol and hostility" as you put it.
    There are plenty here who I disagree with, but they make their points in a constructive fashion so its easy to see where they are coming from and take them seriously

I can put things into context, that's an issue for you???

Leeds Sheffield Wednesday and Everton were top clubs when I was growing up

Ah come on,
    We are still a big club,we were always bigger than those.
    Im comparing Arsenal now to what I feel they could be and I feel they could be so much better.

gosplan wrote: »
    Mansize, apologies but every time this happens you take your frustration out by taking on the entire forum.

I'm giving you a virtual hug now - it's OK.

On the Wenger thing, I firmly believe he'll always be 3rd or 4th but will never break 80 points.

You rightly point out that that's way better than most.

But what's the point?

Things could be worse, a lot worse. That's my point.

Still in the UCL getting to see my team play Bayern in February is a good thing in my book. I'm entitled to express my opinion as others are to have theirs.

Were 4th. Ahead of Spurs United and 14 other EPL teams
    We won our UCL group

Evicence like that

62225082.jpg

Words just fail me at this stage.

The supporters want to WIN the FÚCKING LEAGUE. Win means finishing top as in 1st place on that list otherwise known as the table. Is this too complicated for you to grasp?

62225082.jpg

Words just fail me at this stage.

The supporters want to WIN the FÚCKING LEAGUE. Win means finishing top as in 1st place on that list otherwise known as the table. Is this too complicated for you to grasp?

Only one team can win the league. It's not easy. You can't have everything you want. Take the successes you get. Or buy it I suppose...

Ah come on,
    We are still a big club,we were always bigger than those.
    Im comparing Arsenal now to what I feel they could be and I feel they could be so much better.

That's fine. I'd love our team to win the league and European Cup but accept it's a huge challenge given our circumstances.

I'm kinda glad I can't watch the next 2/3 games live while I'm in NZ. Think I'll just wake up, count the number of pages posted on here overnight, then decide if the match is worth watching :D

Only one team can win the league. It's not easy. You can't have everything you want. Take the successes you get. Or buy it I suppose...

Its the effort being made to win the league thats questionable.

You'd be great to work for if you ever ran a business or managed a firm. No standards of excellence to uphold whatsoever and happy with absolutely zero effort by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

That's fine. I'd love our team to win the league andor European Cup but accept it's a huge challenge given out circumstances.

FYP sorry,
    I agree,hence my previous comments about the owners.
    Where we disagree is I think someone else would give it a better shot than AW..unfortunate as I think the man is a legend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement