Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Its the effort being made to win the league thats questionable.

You'd be great to work for if you ever ran a business or managed a firm. No standards of excellence to uphold whatsoever and happy with absolutely zero effort by the looks of things.

So you are attacking my work ethic now??? That's certainly not a personal attack...

mansize wrote: »
    What takes you to NZ? Country I'd love to visit.

I'll be in China in May so that may be a relief to some 😉

I'm a kiwi. What takes me there is Xmas in the summer....the way it should be :pac:

gitzy16v wrote: »
    FYP sorry,
    I agree,hence my previous comments about the owners.
    Where we disagree is I think someone else would give it a better shot than AW..unfortunate as I think the man is a legend

As do I, I have said he should move upstairs at the end of the season btw

wonga77 wrote: »
    But you dont? You meet every question with a smart answer, no context, so what if Leeds Everton etc were big clubs when you were growing up, its about the here and now. You just move the goalposts and twist words to suit your arguement as has been pointed out several times by many different posters, not only me.
    As I said there are plenty that I disagree with and im sure plenty that disagree with me, thats the beauty of debate but a bit of constructive reasoning would help and not the kind of reasoning that is designed to infuriate others.

I live in the whole life. With all its history and future. Not simply instant success in the present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Not to the Chinese.

:D:D:D
    bad man bad man

• Advertisement

:D:D:D
    bad man bad man

He's no Leroy Brown tbf

I live in the whole life. With all its history and future. Not simply instant success in the present.

I dont people are looking for instant success,just a change in attitude.
    We rolled over today for city,like too many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Watching clips back of Ozil

Absolutely shocking

I dont people are looking for instant success,just a change in attitude.
    We rolled over today for city,like too many times before.

I would say City dominated rather than Arsenal rolling over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Either way it showed us exactly where we are in the scheme of things under Wenger. He bought the players, trains and supposedly motivates them.

I thought city were quite poor actually,there for the taking if im super critical.
    We were good for 30 mins,then,poof, quality disappeared into thin air,nobody pressing,closing down,tackling,passing straight,nothing.
    City were not excellent ripping us apart.
    IMO of course:)

That's fine. I'd love our team to win the league and European Cup but accept it's a huge challenge given our circumstances.

Our circumstances?

As in a team of soft flops with a devolved and diminished manager in charge?...No its very hard to win anything of note in those circumstances.

Our circumstances?

As in a team of soft flops with a devolved and diminished manager in charge?...No its very hard to win anything of note in those circumstances.

I don't think he's a million miles from the truth...I think another manager could do better under "our circumstances" but the board still won't invest more heavily once AW is gone...
    We are a very stable,profitable club but what's the point if we win nothing.
    I'm going to keep banging this drum,the owners and manager needs changing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'm closing this thread to give the mods a chance to tidy up some of the crap that's been posted over the past few pages

If any of you take your bickering elsewhere don't be surprised at the consequences

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Several posts have been deleted over the last few pages, if this sort of bickering and aggression continues, the thread may be closed again and cards/bans issued.

Some posters may need to reflect on why they are involved in the closure of this thread. It is expected that when challenged, you back up your opinions on Arsenal, however controversial.

With that, thread reopened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Getting back on topic.....

IMO the only way Ozil and Sanchez are getting the type of money they want is by winning the PL or CL with Arsenal...simple. If you want that insane money win something with the club and show your worth. Week in week out, not every couple of games have a blinder.....on the field be a proven winner, show the club you are the best in that position......Arsenal is bigger then both of them.

Sadly football does not operate like this anymore.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

IMO the only way Ozil and Sanchez are getting the type of money they want is by winning the PL or CL with Arsenal...simple. If you want that insane money win something with the club and show your worth. Week in week out, not every couple of games have a blinder.....on the field be a proven winner, show the club you are the best in that position......Arsenal is bigger then both of them.

I think That is where the tension is coming from,the form we are showing is typical,surely players realise that.
    Ozil and Sanchez know,money will persuade them to stay but you can guarantee if we were 9 pts clear at Christmas they'd be signed up for plenty less,the management needs to get us to that position on the negotiation table with our performance on the pitch...it's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

https://streamable.com/cycvi

He wasn't alone. Quite a few just having a stroll.

Not a very good sign of work ethic.

Kirby wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/cycvi

He wasn't alone. Quite a few just having a stroll.

Not a very good sign of work ethic.

They're all strolling around,what a pathetic attitude...it was like that for 30 mins,and that's generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

City are pretty good at keeping the ball granted, but it really looked like most of them gave up. When Wenger comes out with guff like the team being "mentally tough" and then you see a game like that, you just laugh at him.

When Liverpool were the TEAM in the 80's ,we challenged them and won.
    When Man.Utd were the TEAM in the PL we challenged them and won.
    We are no longer over- achieving underdogs anymore,Arsene assured us of that.
    That's his own standards that he's not living up to now.

When Man.Utd were the TEAM in the PL we challenged them and won.
    We are no longer over- achieving underdogs anymore,Arsene assured us of that.
    That's his own standards that he's not living up to now.

Does anyone honestly think a team with the likes of Romford Pele, Vieira, Petit, Grimandi, or Gilberto would allow City to pass around the ball like they did today? Tackles would be flying in. City wouldnt get half a second on the ball.

Our midfield were made to look like mugs. Its sad that its come to this but the Arsene Wenger of old knew the necessity of mixing style with substance. Im not sure what this current iteration of Arsene Wenger is about but its gone on too long now. He should do the honest thing and call it a day at the end of the season and when he does he should ride off into the sunset and give the new man the time and space to do the job. Its not easy to walk away from something you have been involved with for so long but for the good of the club this season should be his last. If they offer him an extension ill be sickened but unsurprised and as you rightly said, they should get on their bikes and go too. Of course they are not football men.

I'm gonna drop a bomb and say Arsene should help choose his successor then off into the sunset,only to be seen praising Arsenal promoting Arsenal...
    Away from the club.

I'm gonna drop a bomb and say Arsene should help choose his successor then off into the sunset,only to be seen praising Arsenal promoting Arsenal...
    Away from the club.

I could live with that but i would hate for a Matt Busby style situation where his successors had Busby in the players ears just basically being a nuisance and undermining them at every turn. I think Wenger might find the walking away part tough to be honest. Understandable, but the club has to come first.

Liverpool admittedly treated Shankly shabbily after he dragged them from the doldrums of Division 2 to be the force they were. I would say Wenger will end up on the board at Arsenal and it could prove very difficult for a new manager if Wenger is one of those lads controlling the coffers.

I could live with that but i would hate for a Matt Busby style situation where his successors had Busby in the players ears just basically being a nuisance and undermining them at every turn. I think Wenger might find the walking away part tough to be honest. Understandable, but the club has to come first.

Liverpool admittedly treated Shankly shabbily after he dragged them from the doldrums of Division 2 to be the force they were. I would say Wenger will end up on the board at Arsenal and it could prove very difficult for a new manager if Wenger is one of those lads controlling the coffers.

As long as he's got no business near the team or finances I'd be delighted for him to stay.
    Perfect ending to an excellent career.

And a decent scout:D

As long as he's got no business near the team or finances I'd be delighted for him to stay.
    Perfect ending to an excellent career.

Lets be fair to the man, he'll always be the man who led us to invincibility. A tremendous achievement. But he hasnt the characters in the dressing room that he had at that time and i think its very sad that the likes of Martin Keown or Patrick Vieira are not involved in coaching at the club. These are men who not only respect Wenger but bring that bit of grit and venom to the table. They wouldnt stand for the fraud being committed by some of the players at the club today who pick up unbelievable money for scutter.

I read up alot about Herbert Chapman who was an unbelievable innovator not just with Arsenal but with the game of football itself.
    Unlike Chapman, Wenger is persisting with a tired formula.
    Love or loathe Ken Early he correctly stated last year that Arsenal need courage more than money and he is spot on.

Lets be fair to the man, he'll always be the man who led us to invincibility. A tremendous achievement. But he hasnt the characters in the dressing room that he had at that time and i think its very sad that the likes of Martin Keown or Patrick Vieira are not involved in coaching at the club. These are men who not only respect Wenger but bring that bit of grit and venom to the table. They wouldnt stand for the fraud being committed by some of the players at the club today who pick up unbelievable money for scutter.

I read up alot about Herbert Chapman who was an unbelievable innovator not just with Arsenal but with the game of football itself.
    Unlike Chapman, Wenger is persisting with a tired formula.
    Love or loathe Ken Early he correctly stated last year that Arsenal need courage more than money and he is spot on.

No argument from me on any point.
    My defence of AW is based totally on his legend,imo,is as good if not better than Chapman in the 30's,for innovation and trophies.
    Your right,nobody is questioning AW,thats why Keown,Viera,Adams even Henry is coaching now,they are not near us because AW knows best.
    He seems to want yes men?Thought Bould would do something for defence,,,funny thing is first few games ,the defence looked good but then Bould was demoted to yes man and back to usual...coincedence maybe but fcuk it.
    Im strange I think anybody could sort Arsenal,AW is doing nothing a half decent manager could do,even under poxy stingy owners,the team is great,AW bought some good players.
    All we need is a fresh imputus.

Merry Christmas Gooners
    Nollaig Shona diann go leir
    Feliz Navidad
    Joyeux Noel

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/nuwaha17/status/810592923318239232

The man should listen to his mother

NSFW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Nail on the head. Keep hearing this sh1te about City being able to spend more etc. But man for man yesterday we were good enough to beat them. It was obvious to everybody that they were vulnerable early on and were there for the taking. A courageous manager would have seen this and urged the team to push on and capitalise on the opening goal. But instead we reverted back into our shells. Ozil isn't worth 200 grand a week imo, he can fcuk off back to Madrid if he's not happy. Hugely talented player but inexcusable performance yesterday. I would pay Sanchez whatever he wants however. When you see the wasters like Ox getting 80/90 a week, Sanchez is worth his weight in gold.

Nail on the head. Keep hearing this sh1te about City being able to spend more etc. But man for man yesterday we were good enough to beat them. It was obvious to everybody that they were vulnerable early on and were there for the taking. A courageous manager would have seen this and urged the team to push on and capitalise on the opening goal. But instead we reverted back into our shells. Ozil isn't worth 200 grand a week imo, he can fcuk off back to Madrid if he's not happy. Hugely talented player but inexcusable performance yesterday. I would pay Sanchez whatever he wants however. When you see the wasters like Ox getting 80/90 a week, Sanchez is worth his weight in gold.

Where was Sanchez in the 2nd half??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

As Gary neville said. If ozil and Sanchez are putting arsenal as hostage they should kick them outbas arsenal are a bigger club then two players. Neville also said that in the past we've had better players at arsenal which is true

As Gary neville said. If ozil and Sanchez are putting arsenal as hostage they should kick them outbas arsenal are a bigger club then two players. Neville also said that in the past we've had better players at arsenal which is true

Well Henry and Bergkamp definitely were so the later is definitely true

I wonder did he think the same about Rooney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The players gave their earnings to charity for the Stoke game. That was pre-planned and was a noble gesture.

I think they should do the same for yesterday's abysmal performance.

Trying to be positive for a second, for the first time in months the team will have a whole week in training together. Hopefully they'll make the most of it.

• Advertisement

Where was Sanchez in the 2nd half??

Where was the service to him? Is he supposed to win the ball back and play it to himself?

Where was the service to him? Is he supposed to win the ball back and play it to himself?

So it's ok for him to wait??? Good to know.

So he drops deep to win the ball back then what? Follow instructions from a proactive manager? Oh no wait we don't have one of those.

Also really wish you'd follow the example of your previous reg and fcuk off. Bored of your usual repetitive 2/3 word posts that offer no insight or analysis.

It was a Liverpool team in decline, a corrupt manager playing ugly football, and to get some perspective the other clubs that were right up near the top of the table were Norwich, Coventry, Derby and Forest, who would all love a "crisis" like Arsenal's now.

• Advertisement

Only earlier this week Wenger was saying we can't be passive against City, or words to that effect. Strange that he says this, and surely the players know this, yet we still lacked drive.

Also really wish you'd follow the example of your previous reg and fcuk off. Bored of your usual repetitive 2/3 word posts that offer no insight or analysis.

He's in a competition for highest post count of 2016.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Only earlier this week Wenger was saying we can't be passive against City, or words to that effect. Strange that he says this, and surely the players know this, yet we still lacked drive.

I wouldn't take anything he says seriously at this stage. Same as the players, wonder whose turn it is to do the "bounce back, we have to respond" interview? So boring it's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Lots of anger still in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Lots of anger still in this thread

but only 1 stirring

The entire first half Sanchez was constantly trying to get everyone to press with him. I'd imagine by the second half he'd given up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember at the start of the season somebody on SSN was asked, "Who would you rather work under? Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho or Conte?". I forgot what they answered, but my initial thought was theyre all great managers but they must be very overbearing at times. I'd probably go for Wenger. I doubt he is the type to harang you over small features of your game. Which kinda signifies all that is wrong with Arsenal.

There is a reason why the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola etc fall out with their players so often, it is because they demand so much from them. People don't fall out with Wenger because life is good under him. There is no commitment to being the best.

When I look at the Arsenal team, I see a team that are afraid of committing themselves to being a great team. Being a great team is hard work, it isn't much fun either until after the trophies come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

You know what the worst thing is? The hope. The hope that this season it WILL be different. Then once the slightest bit of expectation or pressure hits, the heads drop and the tools are downed. Chelsea at the Emirates aside (and they were still figuring out their formation and tactics), our biggest games of the season have been a pitiful exercise in mental fragility and a complete lack of belief. The players can only be blamed for so much, its been clear for some time now that this manager is just not capable of getting performances out of them on a consistent basis. Its all very well going to Basel and pissing all over a substandard team. There's no excuse for going to Old Trafford and rolling over or playing a City team that are defensively suspect and throwing in the towel at half time.

There's no easy fix here. Getting rid of the manager would be a good place to start but there's a culture of apathy running through the club that will be very hard to shift. From the top down Arsenal football club is a cash generating machine and results on the pitch have for a long time now been an irrelevance.

We have some bad days ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I agree with everything Keano except the last point. I dont think we have bad days ahead, I dont think they will get any worse as we are still in a great position compared to most. We have more of the exact same days ahead is more appropriate. Its rinse repeat year in year out.
    Some are happy to take whats on offer but I think most would like a change of some sort to shake things up. Our style of play, our players, our management, our title challenge inevitably collapsing, our heroic departure from the champions league, the summer promises that this season will be different. Its also just so boringly predictable at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

One question and if it was raised already apologies.

Why was Cech taking long kick-outs to our midgets upfront?

I actually thought we played ok without being sensational in the first half. City were definitely there for the taking but again we let a team off the hook.

The talent is there ffs, which suggests that this is all down to mental attitude. Hearing AW come out with some of the ****e he does after games only infuriates even more. "We played well in 2 games and came away with 0..." He should be lambasting these players in interviews. AW shows way too much loyalty at times.

Another thing, Kos turns into a different player when Gabriel is beside him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement