Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

IMO, ye need a ball breaker like Simeone, someone that doesnt stop barking orders, even if you're 2 or 3 goals up.

Wenger has had a fantastic career and brought stability in an era where half a dozen bad results can see a manager get chopped but I think for Arsenal to go forward they need a different approach.

Simeone isnt Tony Pulis, arsenal arent going to suddenly sign 7 or 8 6ft + athletes to kick and chase long and aimless balls, thats not Simeones game, but he'd take the current squad and mould it to his style and axe does who wasnt up to it or willing to put a shift in.

In a way its very much a cultural mega shift as Wenger seems like a very passive and amiable coach from an outsiders perspective, compare that to the mad dog that is Simeone at least but looking at the coaches that might be available or might be acceptable to a clubs of Arsenal size, he, IMO, is the best candidate and would probably, in time, push Arsenal to the level they want to be at, winning leagues or at least going very, very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

GavRedKing wrote: »
    IMO, ye need a ball breaker like Simeone, someone that doesnt stop barking orders, even if you're 2 or 3 goals up.

Wenger has had a fantastic career and brought stability in an era where half a dozen bad results can see a manager get chopped but I think for Arsenal to go forward they need a different approach.

Simeone isnt Tony Pulis, arsenal arent going to suddenly sign 7 or 8 6ft + athletes to kick and chase long and aimless balls, thats not Simeones game, but he'd take the current squad and mould it to his style and axe does who wasnt up to it or willing to put a shift in.

In a way its very much a cultural mega shift as Wenger seems like a very passive and amiable coach from an outsiders perspective, compare that to the mad dog that is Simeone at least but looking at the coaches that might be available or might be acceptable to a clubs of Arsenal size, he, IMO, is the best candidate and would probably, in time, push Arsenal to the level they want to be at, winning leagues or at least going very, very close.

The board will never go for someone like Simeone, for the reasons you outline in your first point. Wenger is perfect for this PLC, delivers financially and treats the clubs assets like his own. Simeone is far too volatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Basil3 wrote: »
    The entire first half Sanchez was constantly trying to get everyone to press with him. I'd imagine by the second half he'd given up.

Ok, but I don't get the hate that Ozil gets by corollary

He made a challenge on a city player and the ref gave a free against him (booked?) I thought that showed he was still showing desire in the 2nd stanza

keano_afc wrote: »
    The board will never go for someone like Simeone, for the reasons you outline in your first point. Wenger is perfect for this PLC, delivers financially and treats the clubs assets like his own. Simeone is far too volatile.

I wouldn't want Simone.

My first choice is the Leipzig manager, Howe probably second. Not Simone.

Who would you guys put in charge?

Maybe Conte will become available ;)

I remember at the start of the season somebody on SSN was asked, "Who would you rather work under? Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho or Conte?". I forgot what they answered, but my initial thought was theyre all great managers but they must be very overbearing at times. I'd probably go for Wenger. I doubt he is the type to harang you over small features of your game. Which kinda signifies all that is wrong with Arsenal.

There is a reason why the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola etc fall out with their players so often, it is because they demand so much from them. People don't fall out with Wenger because life is good under him. There is no commitment to being the best.

When I look at the Arsenal team, I see a team that are afraid of committing themselves to being a great team. Being a great team is hard work, it isn't much fun either until after the trophies come.

I would day its because Mourinho is volatile and hangs his players out to dry.

Wenger doesn't publicly criticise his players- what does that achieve except disharmony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Roaster wrote: »
    Why was Cech taking long kick-outs to our midgets upfront?

I'd assume/hope it was a game plan to take advantage of some dodgy centre backs...which didn't work.
    He should be lambasting these players in interviews. AW shows way too much loyalty at times.

That's textbook Mourinho. And it doesn't work positively for him. AW protects the players to the media. Once he's lambasting the players in private that's fine IMO. Public execution doesn't work to anyone's favour.
    Another thing, Kos turns into a different player when Gabriel is beside him.

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cech is no longer a great keeper either.
    Beaten on his near post again. Poor kick-outs usually.
    In fact there are very few good keepers in the league.
    This is for me one of the most important positions on the field as it stabalizes the defence and inspires confidence.

Kos has to do extra work when Meet or Gab is his partner.

Mustafi is dependable

Kostafi haven't lost a league game.

• Advertisement

Cech is no longer a great keeper either.
    Beaten on his near post again. Poor kick-outs usually.
    In fact there are very few good keepers in the league.
    This is for me one of the most important positions on the field as it stabalizes the defence and inspires confidence.

I agree 100%

Ospina is every bit as good, and faster reactions to boot imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mansize wrote: »
    I wouldn't want Simone.

Lay off the drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont think we have bad days ahead, I dont think they will get any worse as we are still in a great position compared to most.

I'd be very worried about Ozil and Sanchez not signing new contracts, a big loss if they both leave.
    There our two marquee players and reflects very badly on the club and manager if they don't sign new contracts.

keano_afc wrote: »

Change is not always good but staying the same is almost as dangerous.

You dont want to get stuck in a rut.

Arsenal and you guys, the fans, wont want to bring in an avergae manager or take a gamble on a Moyes style signing, those are exactly the type of manager appointments that highlight exactly the genius of the guy before them, ala Fergie at Utd and 2 coaches after him that failed to turn a title winning side subsidised by 300m worth of talent since Fergie left, around.

Its a very fine line and getting instant success when replacing such an institution like Wenger is no guarntee, again, look to Utd, its taken them 3 years and a 3rd manager to get back on the right track.

Just on Cech, its a criticism of him and theres not that many, its his distribution has always been very poor.

His out balls at Chelsea was always long to Drogba or out to Ivanovic on the touch line, out of his hands hes not bad, I suppose its a 50/50 from there but off the ground for kick outs or balls in play, hes very poor.

Courtois was very similar in that regard when he first played with us but he has started to play shorter passes this year and it if the back line and CMs are able to receive the ball and pop off passes under pressure, it does help a GK and the team to have those options.

Hes still prone to the odd f**K up from clearing balls but his distribution has come on a bit.

marvin80 wrote: »
    I'd be very worried about Ozil and Sanchez not signing new contracts, a big loss if they both leave.
    There our two marquee players and reflects very badly on the club and manager if they don't sign new contracts.

Both are good but Ozil is unreliable. He doesn't like physicality, he's not brave. He disappears in some games, pulls all the strings in others. We never know when he's going to turn it on. Wenger should be questioning him on his attitude but clearly is not doing so.

Sanchez is brave but loses the ball quite a lot, usually because he takes chances in order to try and create. He always gives his all. Beautiful pass for Walcott yesterday.

Neither are irreplaceable. We attained fourth place before they came and will do so if they leave. The problem is fourth is not good enough and never will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Wenger can make all the excuses he likes and blame bad refereeing decisions, but he is responsible for the soft underbelly of the team that surfaces when there is a bit of pressure. Well they can relax now, the league is probably gone, we can return to mediocrity, been there a lot in recent years under Wenger.

• Both are good but Ozil is unreliable. He doesn't like physicality, he's not brave. He disappears in some games, pulls all the strings in others. We never know when he's going to turn it on. Wenger should be questioning him on his attitude but clearly is not doing so.

Sanchez is brave but loses the ball quite a lot, usually because he takes chances in order to try and create. He always gives his all. Beautiful pass for Walcott yesterday.

Neither are irreplaceable. We attained fourth place before they came and will do so if they leave. The problem is fourth is not good enough and never will be.

IMO I don't forsee him ever being this type of player no matter where he ends up in the future. I mean as in a hard worker / grafter

Ye'd have a better chance of getting Klopp or Jose at this stage and even those are rated somewhere between none and snowball in hell.

It doesnt matter whos appointed, its going to divide the fan base, some fans want success but wont want to go against the identity that Wenger has created in 2 decades of playing football the right way, some wont give a toss and will take a winner no matter what the baggage is.

Arsenals biggest test wont be getting top 4 when the money was being pumped into the stadium debt a decade ago, yere biggest test, IMO, is replacing Wenger and staying a top 4 side or better, its not an easy feat and something the board will have to think long and hard about.

Utd have finished inside the top 4 once since Fergie left and thats despite spending an absolute fortune in the process. Moyes was never good enough, LVG was an improvement over Moyes but he didnt play the Utd way, to a degree, so it made it easier to sack him once they finished 5th last year so the warning signs are there, get the replacement wrong and it could be a wasted period for the club.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    IMO I don't forsee him ever being this type of player no matter where he ends up in the future. I mean as in a hard worker / grafter

If its paying one between Sanchez or Ozil whatever they wanted, I'd be giving Sanchez whatever Ozil was on and thanking him for his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Seems to have calmed down a bit in here now after the mass hysteria that was yesterday evening. Was very annoyed to lose from a winning position again yesterday and against one of our rivals. The team just did not seem up for it. The exception being Sanchez at least for the first half he was screaming at people and trying to martial them to push up. For me in the next match Elneny has to start. Wenger also has to give either Giroud/ & Perez the nod as well. There has to be some players dropped to show them that you can't just put on the jersey and wander aimlessly about the pitch. I know Ozil always gets a lot of flak (mostly unjustified) but he was absolutely non existent yesterday. I'd rater let Sanchez play in his position with Giroud up front. For me Xhaka and Coq just don't work together as two holding midfielders. This has been particularly highlighted in the last two games. It has to be one of them and Elneny (from what we have on the bench).

I'm hoping we can put this current run of form behind us with a win on Stephen's day even if we are 9 points off top spot. Chelsea have been doing what Champions do, winning while playing very poorly. They didn't deserve to beat either Sunderland or Palace but they've 6 points from the two games and that's all that counts at the end of the day.

Got to agree with a majority of people on here we need a change in leadership, have done for an awfully long time at this stage. Who I'd appoint, not so sure. Howe is a good shout I think. Simone wouldn't suit us, as much as I'd love him to come over and give us that bite and a return to 1 nil to the Arsenal days. There would have to be wholesale changes made to the team. The current team we have is more than capable of challenging if the manager can get the most out of them, unfortunately this is not Wenger for me. Yes the first goal was definitely offside yesterday, maybe Silva was also interfering in the second but we played badly. Should of killed the game off in the first half when City were still asleep. Not ruthless enough on or off the pitch and the buck stops with him for this I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I would say a lot of this team are for the chop

Who I'd keep if I was a new manager

Ospina
    Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Kos
    Monreal
    (C Midfield needs updating)
    Özil
    Sanchez
    Elhney
    Giroud

Drop
    Ox
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Xhaka
    Coq
    Gabriel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

@Taytolover I agree about Cech. Poor between the sticks all too often, but his marshalling of the defence in front of him is excellent mostly. That's where his true worth is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Xhaka?

His only been at the club for 5mins

Xhaka?

His only been at the club for 5mins

He doesn't impress me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id love Simeone, As correctly pointed out hes not exactly Tony Pulis though the lazy analysts would have you believe that. I think several of our players have it too easy and could do with a rocket up their backsides.

Howe has an excellent record and has done wonders for Bournemouth, would it be a step too far too soon for him though? He doest seem like a good fit though.
    Not sure about the Leipzeig coach, he is doing great work over there but he has only been in charge for 15 or so games which is far too short to form an opinion, dunno how his name was even linked with us but the media seem to have latched onto it. He could easily turn out to be a short term wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ospina
    Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Kos
    Monreal
    Özil
    Sanchez
    Elhney
    Giroud

Drop
    Ox
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Xhaka
    Coq
    Gabriel

Poor Xhaka - from the Messiah to a has been in the space of a couple of months. He has been poor recently and was awful yesterday nut should be given tome.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Do people on here really expect Ozil to be a physical player? That's what the likes of Coquelin and Xhaka are there for. One of our best players in recent times was Robert Pires. I can count on one finger how many tackles he made. Ozil is an easy target (maybe justifiable on his wage) but to expect him to become physical, come on!!!

I though Iwobi was extremely poor yesterday. He looked knackered which astounds me considering his age and how hungry he should be when given his chance.

Am I alone in think Perez hasnt been given enough of a chance? No harm in trying him out for half an hour yesterday, couldnt be any worse than some of the performers out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ospina
    Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Kos
    Monreal
    Özil
    Sanchez
    Elhney
    Giroud

Drop
    Ox
    Walcott
    Ramsey
    Xhaka
    Coq
    Gabriel
    Why oh why would you drop Coquelin? I'm actually eager to hear this.

Id love Simeone, As correctly pointed out hes not exactly Tony Pulis though the lazy analysts would have you believe that. I think several of our players have it too easy and could do with a rocket up their backsides.

Howe has an excellent record and has done wonders for Bournemouth, would it be a step too far too soon for him though? He doest seem like a good fit though.
    Not sure about the Leipzeig coach, he is doing great work over there but he has only been in charge for 15 or so games which is far too short to form an opinion, dunno how his name was even linked with us but the media seem to have latched onto it. He could easily turn out to be a short term wonder

I think to be convinced by Howe you'd really like him to have a "step up" job before been put in charge of a club like Arsenal.

Of course, he could take over and take to it like a duck to water but theres a lot of variables at play for that to fall into line, he did make a step up at the time to Burnely, and it didnt really go to play but what hes done since with Bournemouth has been brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Change is not always good but staying the same is almost as dangerous.

You dont want to get stuck in a rut.

Arsenal and you guys, the fans, wont want to bring in an avergae manager or take a gamble on a Moyes style signing, those are exactly the type of manager appointments that highlight exactly the genius of the guy before them, ala Fergie at Utd and 2 coaches after him that failed to turn a title winning side subsidised by 300m worth of talent since Fergie left, around.

Its a very fine line and getting instant success when replacing such an institution like Wenger is no guarntee, again, look to Utd, its taken them 3 years and a 3rd manager to get back on the right track.

We'll never know unless we take a risk. I dont think any fan is naive enough to expect instant success (and not the odd FA cup), but at the same time I'm crying out for a manager to come in and give the players and absolute rocket for performances like yesterday and just stop the season upon season of deja vu. I've wanted Wenger gone for a while now, I'm just completely fed up of blueprint seasons no matter who the playing personnel are.

[QUOTE=Roaster;102012091]Do people on here really expect Ozil to be a physical player? That's what the likes of Coquelin and Xhaka are there for. One of our best players in recent times was Robert Pires. I can count on one finger how many tackles he made. Ozil is an easy target (maybe justifiable on his wage) but to expect him to become physical, come on!!!

I though Iwobi was extremely poor yesterday. He looked knackered which astounds me considering his age and how hungry he should be when given his chance.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be a physical player to press the defenders, try to cut out passes etc. He doesn't do enough of that for me. Sitting in space waiting to be fed the ball is great but it's also a luxury. You have to work for the team too when under pressure.

Quazzie wrote: »

Commits too many stupid fouls and often found exposed

I wouldn't get rid until we had a replacement in place though

Xhaka reminds me of Podolski- a few crowd pleasing long range screamers but little else of note

Am I alone in think Perez hasnt been given enough of a chance? No harm in trying him out for half an hour yesterday, couldnt be any worse than some of the performers out there

Isn't he returning from injury?

Quazzie wrote: »

Who would you keep/sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Who would you keep/sell?
    I think Coquelin and Cazorla are our proven starting midfield. I certainly wouldn't be trying to offload Coquelin. He is consistent and does the easy things right. He knows his position and works hard to do the dirty work that is needed to help the team function. He helps the team perform, whereas for the majority of the rest of the team, they help themselves perform.

Isn't he returning from injury?

I dont think so? He was on the bench yesterday anyway, if hes fit enough to be on the bench then he should be able to play if required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hilarious that there's still no real captain for four years now. Says it all. Who's meant to tell someone they're playing ****e or to get their act together. I agree that most teams have a few soft who aren't meant to do a whole lot defensively but they should at least chase the ball like Sanchez. Jesus I hope Wilshere gets through a season and proves his fitness, the man is captain material.

To be honest Walcott tracks back this year, at least chases the ball even if he misses the tackle a lot. I can forgive this as he's got the most goals this season of any non-striker in the league. But Ozil and Iwobi don't even chase the ball, Ozils passing this week has been ****e in general too. If I was Monreal I would'nt be on speaking terms with Iwobi, constantly leaving Monreal to cover two men at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »

Trying to be positive for a second, for the first time in months the team will have a whole week in training together. Hopefully they'll make the most of it.

There's 6 PL games until arsenal play Chelsea away at the start of February.

On mobile so not posing them but 6 winnable games for arsenal, 4 of them at home.
    Chelsea have 3 away to Tottenham, Liverpool & Leicester in that run.

batistuta9 wrote: »

On mobile so not posing them but 6 winnable games for arsenal, 4 of them at home.

Don't do it to yourselves lads, you're only setting yourself up twice.

No. It's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Even if Arsenal won the next 6 and get themselves back into the title race, would you really believe that they would go to Stamford Bridge and put in a performance? Based on evidence this season and previous seasons we would just crumble and buckle under the pressure. The past two matches were bottle jobs pure and simple. It's not fixable anymore with Wenger in charge.

The choice as I see it is, stick with Wenger most likely finish 4th -2nd in the league and have no chance of winning the league or champions league. Or take a risk with a new younger manager that may see us drop out of the top 4 or may give the club/fans hope with new ideas and potentially become a serious threat to a premier league title for once.

Even if Arsenal won the next 6 and get themselves back into the title race, would you really believe that they would go to Stamford Bridge and put in a performance? Based on evidence this season and previous seasons we would just crumble and buckle under the pressure. The past two matches were bottle jobs pure and simple. It's not fixable anymore with Wenger in charge.

The choice as I see it is, stick with Wenger most likely finish 4th -2nd in the league and have no chance of winning the league or champions league. Or take a risk with a new younger manager that may see us drop out of the top 4 or may give the club/fans hope with new ideas and potentially become a serious threat to a premier league title for once.

Or fall out of contention all together

• Advertisement

Id take the chance, as far as I see we're not in contention anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's a risk that needs to be taken. With Wenger we haven't been in contention for the league or Champions league at the business end of the season in donkeys years. We know what we get with present day Wenger. If we want better, than the club will have to take a "risk" with a new man. Thing is do the owners or even some fans care about getting better?

No matter what. Says it all about a lot of the fans of this club. As the other top clubs change managers, strategy and tactics with the times we stay right where we are in upper level mediocrity.

We ripped Chelsea to shreds last time we played them. Was that because we were under no pressure?

domrush wrote: »
    No matter what. Says it all about a lot of the fans of this club. As the other top clubs change managers, strategy and tactics with the times we stay right where we are in upper level mediocrity.

You don't think we ever change tactics? I don't think it's anything to do with changing with the times. You can play and win with many styles of football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement