Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Great being able to bring on Wilshire and Elneny to shore it up a bit.

Our squad has been too thin for too long. Actually beneficial attacking and defensive substations haven't been seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

Missed the game today (very rare for me). Delighted with the result and the confirmation of the needed signings and the comments in here point to us playing well generally.

True it was Watford but 3 points in the bag and a confidence builder for facing stronger teams, looking forward to MOTD

From Wenger after the match:
    on Mustafi and Perez…
    I think they should go through, both of them. They had medicals. We have to finish the paperwork and I don’t know exactly when we will announce it but look, I think it could be announced at the beginning of the week.

on Monreal…
    Nacho Monreal has a kick but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Chambers went to fans after match apparently- out on loan it looks like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

mansize wrote: »
    Chambers went to fans after match apparently- out on loan it looks like

Who's our rb cover? Jenks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Who's our rb cover? Jenks?

Debuchy? He's probably leaving too though. Although Jinks is still injured. Mustafi has played full back fir Germany. Not sure which side tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    I just don't see why you have to be so negative. We've lost a grand total of 3 matches in February over the last 3 years. But sure, if you go into each season with the attitude that we will have a poor run of form sometime between January and March, you probably won't be disappointed.

History has probably made him seem negative in fairness.
    We won't know if we have become mentally stronger until we play top six opposition.
    We now have strength in numbers but hopefully we will also have strength mentally as well. Time will tell.

greendom wrote: »
    Debuchy? He's probably leaving too though. Although Jinks is still injured. Mustafi has played full back fir Germany. Not sure which side tho

Bellerin was sloppy at times today but probably just rustiness.

They also had a lot of success down the right. Teams always do as theo plays there.

Maybe it's a good thing having Ramsey there when fit.

History has probably made him seem negative in fairness.
    We won't know if we have become mentally stronger until we play top six opposition.
    We now have strength in numbers but hopefully we will also have strength mentally as well. Time will tell.

We've actually become much better against strong opposition.

Holding our own nowadays really.

The problem is being mentally strong when there's something on the line.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    We've actually become much better against strong opposition.

Holding our own nowadays really.

The problem is being mentally strong when there's something on the line.

Plenty of examples over recent years of performing when something is on the line. Winning the FA Cup twice, needing a perfect record to avoid getting knocked out of Champions League group, needing to win against league leaders to stay in with a shot at the title etc etc.

Plenty of examples over recent years of performing when something is on the line. Winning the FA Cup twice, needing a perfect record to avoid getting knocked out of Champions League group, needing to win against league leaders to stay in with a shot at the title etc etc.

I've more examples on my side tbh.

Plus one of those FA cups doesn't count as mental strength because they dos everything they could to throw it away.

Sorry but when the chips are down Arsenal have underperformed since Vieira lifted the FA cup over a decade ago.

It has been a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mesut Ozil is just a genius. Hes up there with Henry and Bergkamp.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Mesut Ozil is just a genius. Hes up there with Henry and Beegkamp.

Definitely

We have a very large squad now.
    It's going to be heard to keep them all happy as they'll all want to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Healthy competition, if they aren't up for the fight well then move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Denis hat trick vs Leicester on MOTD there.

Seriously, I love that man.

Mesut Ozil is just a genius. Hes up there with Henry and Bergkamp.

Woah, woah!

He's my favourite since the invincibles (cough *except Cesc* cough).

But let's not get carried away.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Woah, woah!

He's my favourite since the invincibles (cough *except Cesc* cough).

But let's not get carried away.

He's up there!

Watford manager says watching him Xhaka and Sanchez like having an orgasim!!!

He's up there!

Watford manager says watching him Xhaka and Sanchez like having an orgasim!!!

Make no mistake, I absolutely love Ozil.

But he's a bit to do before he's in Dennis territory.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Make no mistake, I absolutely love Ozil.

But he's a bit to do before he's in Dennis territory.

Well yes, but he's the closest thing there's been in a while

• Advertisement

Well yes, but he's the closest thing there's been in a while

Right. So we're saying the same thing.

Jeez, nice to have a good day today. It's been ages.

Jesus way to deflate my positivity on Sunday supplement saying Perez was offered to us last week and we said no so then was on his way to Everton after palace and west ham turned him down!

Jesus way to deflate my positivity on Sunday supplement saying Perez was offered to us last week and we said no so then was on his way to Everton after palace and west ham turned him down!

Yeah, funny how none of this stuff was reported until now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Palace just dropped 30m on Beneteke so their judgement is up their arse as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Jeremy Wilson was clear we got two of our three first choice targets.

Perez was down the list. Wilson said he was third after vardy and Lacazette. Makes sense.

omega man wrote: »
    Jeremy Wilson was clear we got two of our first choice targets.

Perez was down the list. Wilson said he was third after vardy and Lacazette. Makes sense.

Yep that's exactly what he said.

I'm happy anyway. Let's be honest, one thing wenger does get right most of the time is buying the right player, so would trust him on this.

omega man wrote: »
    Jeremy Wilson was clear we got two of our three first choice targets.

I agree with what was being said on the Arsecast.

Lacazette isn't World Class, and if he costs £50-60m, you would have to give him wages in line with the transfer fee. This causes two issues. Firstly, his wages would be above anyone else at the club, so other players would want a bump. Secondly, if he doesn't work out, then you're stuck with another player on high wages that you can't get rid of (Theo, Ches, Debuchy etc).

I have no problem with going for someone like Perez and holding back some funds for a player who is a level above Lacazette, if the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I agree with what was being said on the Arsecast.

Lacazette isn't World Class, and if he costs £50-60m, you would have to give him wages in line with the transfer fee. This causes two issues. Firstly, his wages would be above anyone else at the club, so other players would want a bump. Secondly, if he doesn't work out, then you're stuck with another player on high wages that you can't get rid of (Theo, Ches, Debuchy etc).

I have no problem with going for someone like Perez and holding back some funds for a player who is a level above Lacazette, if the opportunity arises.

Would have been madness to spend that on Lacazette when he's not even a significant upgrade on Giroud. Sure add another 20M onto what he'd cost and you'd get Lewandowski or Aubameyang who are proven world-class players

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Elneny and Holding for 8M though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Elneny has been fabulous ever since he arrived. Hasn't had a bad game, very neat in possession and rarley gives the ball away. Some great competition in midfield and when we rotate them around we wont be weakening the starting XI.

Elneny has been fabulous ever since he arrived. Hasn't had a bad game, very neat in possession and rarley gives the ball away. Some great competition in midfield and when we rotate them around we wont be weakening the starting XI.

Yeah great player.

Kind of bad that he isn't getting his game but xhaka looks so good too.

Great problem to have. Makes a change from denilson and flamini being our only option in that position at times.

Theo into the England squad, and Jack dropped. Pretty interesting.

Im not complaining.

Jack just back from injury Theo can stay in St George's faic

Ill give Wenger his credit where due here. Those two were a steal and I have noticed that Wenger seems to be going back to a more aggressive and direct style of player. He has had enough of being burnt by windy players such as Reyes and Walcott.

Video of Xhaka vrs Watford.

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/08/video-granit-xhaka-v-watford-2016/

Savage range of passing for a deep lying midfielder.

Like we give out about Ozil not getting on the end of things, Sanchez coming too deep for the ball and running at people and Wally not using his pace properly.

It seems like releasing Walcott and Sanchez early can solve their problems and allows Ozil to drift to the edge of the box without always having to be responsible forInstigating the move.

I'm absolutely reading too much into it but very very promising anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Theo into the England squad, and Jack dropped. Pretty interesting.

I'm delighted Jacks been dropped as he is the most likely to get injured whilst away on International duty.

As for Theo, Arsenals should be tapping up cash rich Chinese clubs tomorrow asking if they want to buy a favoured English International for top dollar ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    I'm delighted Jacks been dropped as he is the most likely to get injured whilst away on International duty.

As for Theo, Arsenals should be tapping up cash rich Chinese clubs tomorrow asking if they want to buy a favoured English International for top dollar ;)

Give him to Bolton

Theo Walcott made 11 tackles all of last season

He made 8 in one game this season against Watford

Let's give him his due, so far this year he seems to be knuckling down and working hard, keep it up and he is a Starter for me

• Advertisement

I think Xhaka and Elneny will soon be our preferred starters. Coq will be back-up.

I think Xhaka and Elneny will soon be our preferred starters. Coq will be back-up.

Really think it's gonna be xhaka and Ramsey

With Ramsey thriving beside a passer like he did with arteta

Really think it's gonna be xhaka and Ramsey

With Ramsey thriving beside a passer like he did with arteta

Santi has to be there somewhere, class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Most likely it will be whoevers not injured or suspended will play there

Let's give him his due, so far this year he seems to be knuckling down and working hard, keep it up and he is a Starter for me

I'm not convinced yet. If he performs like that in a crunch game when the pressure is on or against one of the other big teams then I will come around.

For all we know that could be his one productive game of the season and he'll sit back on his laurels like normal again.

If the chance arises I'd sell him at this stage tbh.

gandalf wrote: »

I'm not convinced yet. If he performs like that in a crunch game when the pressure is on or against one of the other big teams then I will come around.

For all we know that could be his one productive game of the season and he'll sit back on his laurels like normal again.

If the chance arises I'd sell him at this stage tbh.

I Got that stat wrong it's 8 over the three games which means he is working hard in every game

Look I'm not his biggest fan but I only judge a player on what I see now, what happened before don't bother me

And at the moment he is doing enough to be in the team

• Advertisement

Santi has to be there somewhere, class player.

Santi's downfall is that he doesn't score goals. He's great to have as an option, though.

I Got that stat wrong it's 8 over the three games which means he is working hard in every game

Look I'm not his biggest fan but I only judge a player on what I see now, what happened before don't bother me

Normally I'd agree with you but at this stage it's a case of 21st time bitten 22nd time shy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I think theo has shown a lot more willingness to track back this year. Hopefully it continues and I think Giroud coming back into the team should really help the wide playing playing off him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I think theo has shown a lot more willingness to track back this year. Hopefully it continues and I think Giroud coming back into the team should really help the wide playing playing off him

Sanchez does more chasing back than Giroud (or Walcott), which lessens the pressure on Walcott. The question will be whether we lose too much tracking back with both Walcott and Giroud in the team. Walcott will be fine with Sanchez and the Ox or Wilshere or maybe the new signing, but alongside Giroud, I don't know.

Godge wrote: »
    Sanchez does more chasing back than Giroud (or Walcott), which lessens the pressure on Walcott. The question will be whether we lose too much tracking back with both Walcott and Giroud in the team. Walcott will be fine with Sanchez and the Ox or Wilshere or maybe the new signing, but alongside Giroud, I don't know.

Yeah, but Sanchez is only tracking back to recover the ball that he lost :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement