Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I thought they may have taken it out and forgot to put it back in judging by some of the scutter your talking

This explains the logic you use in discussions. I understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mansize wrote: »

Brilliant reply.

Continue.

Wow....you sure owned me there.... congrats sir you've won the internet :rolleyes:

17 games played and we're right where we belong.

17 games played and we're right where we belong.

Trust Wenger. Its only a blip. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Trust Wenger. Its only a blip. ;)

There's always next year...

So we're fourth...And we've got Bayern next in the CL, where have I seen this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I've had what I consider, some serious issues with what EFB has been posting lately so I found a way of avoiding his/her posts. It's wonderful. I suggest you follow suit. The thread is thoroughly more enjoyable. Or at least, more sufferable what with the recent dross our team has been serving up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I wouldn't be concerned just yet. 34 points after 17 games is not shabby actually. Its right in there only for a Chelsea side that has now won 11 in a row. Nobody will be able to stay with them if they keep doing that anyway. And they do have the best squad in the league, too. But they will come back into the pack I'm sure and in December you just need to be around no more.

I wouldn't be concerned just yet. 34 points after 17 games is not shabby actually. Its right in there only for a Chelsea side that has now won 11 in a row. Nobody will be able to stay with them if they keep doing that anyway. And they do have the best squad in the league, too. But they will come back into the pack I'm sure and in December you just need to be around no more.

Its not the margin its the manner in which we are approaching 'must win' crucial games. Absolutely shíte yesterday. A recurring theme with years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Been a while since I had a good old rage at some idiot on the internet...But im getting there.

Imagine taking the minutes at that meeting :pac:

Were 3 points up on corresponding fixtures vs last season. As Whitney said, Its not right, but its ok...

domrush wrote: »
    Mansize just a question are you a rereg of Gaygooner? He closed his account around the same time yours opened and you have very similar posting styles. No malice behind the question just interested

In the interest of transparency yes i am he.

Were 3 points up on corresponding fixtures vs last season. As Whitney said, Its not right, but its ok...

... we gonna make it anyway! :eek:

1989d1052428732-arsenal-sacks-venger-mss.jpg

1989d1052428732-arsenal-sacks-venger-mss.jpg

old meme is old

• Advertisement

... we gonna make it anyway! :eek:

I'd rather be alone than unhappy!

(deliberately skipped prev line! :P )

Its not the margin its the manner in which we are approaching 'must win' crucial games. Absolutely shíte yesterday. A recurring theme with years.

If you're thinking like that every game is a must win game. Yesterday wasn't great I admit but Chelsea will have games like this. And Pool and City, too. They already had and will do again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

200.gif#1

If you're thinking like that every game is a must win game. Yesterday wasn't great I admit but Chelsea will have games like this.

Well there is little margin for error in a title run. Tell that to our manager and players who approach these games with no urgency and have been doing so for years. Think Chelsea might be a bit focused on winning games to slip up to be honest. Their manager means business and they are on fire at the moment.

I just want our season to end now and pray that there will finally be a change at the end of the season and not just in the manager. We need rid of some of these losers on the field that have held this club back long enough.

We're finished in terms of this title race. We havent a snowballs chance in hell in Europe. Our attitude stinks. Winning the cup wouldnt be progress either really. The league was the challenge and they have imploded yet again. Goodnight Vienna

3rd/4th best team sits in 4th place. That's a crisis most clubs would love. Anyone who regards it's as a crisis just can't remember the pre Graham era (or else fell asleep after Chapman and woke up 50 years later) and given the spending of clubs like City, Chelsea, ManU etc. it should be regarded as even less of an issue.

• Advertisement

3rd/4th best team sits in 4th place. That's a crisis most clubs would love. Anyone who regards it's as a crisis just can't remember the pre Graham era (or else fell asleep after Chapman and woke up 50 years later) and given the spending of clubs like City, Chelsea, ManU etc. it should be regarded as even less of an issue.

Well the club is at a crossroads.

You have the fans who want the club to win or at least bust their gut in trying to do so and then you have the team and manager with the same failing tactics and same timid approach. the arsenal fans are sick of this. They have been patient enough. Its time for the players and manager to do what they are paid shedloads of money to do or get lost and leave someone else do it.

The main objective in moving to the new stadium is that it created extra revenue therefore extra resources to compete. We are not being competitive enough. Our performances are limp. Just about good enough for fourth but feck all else. The lack of money excuses no longer wash. We all see it for what it is. A lack of heart, a lack of guts and a beaten docket in charge that is persisting with the same shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Its not a crisis,its just a ****ty attitude that can be solved by removing the manager.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Its not a crisis,its just a ****ty attitude that can be solved by removing the manager.

As you correctly said, the whole culture of the club has to change. The Board of Directors, the owners, the managers, the players have a loser mindset.

Not so much a loser mindset imo but an unambitious mindset that has crept in since paying off the stadium.
    I understand the wanting CL every year to help pay the bills,not over extending the clubs finances etc...but our menatlity should be shifting to progress now...and its bloody well not...

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Not so much a loser mindset imo but an unambitious mindset that has crept in since paying off the stadium.
    I understand the wanting CL every year to help pay the bills,not over extending the clubs finances etc...but our menatlity should be shifting to progress now...and its bloody well not...

The stadium isn't paid off, debt converted into long term debentures

http://northlondonisred.co.uk/arsenals-stadium-debt-the-inside-track/

Makes no difference to the point I was making...Try again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What an absolute clusterfcuk of a thread. Always the same people derailing it.

Connection died to the internet just after they equalised on Sunday. In hindsight it was a blessing. 6 very winnable games coming up but it's the hope that will kill you. No doubt we'll win the next 5, come within a point or two of top and then sh1t the bed yet again. Looking forward to being proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

That is a dreadful article. If the "expert" Calvin had bothered to do any research he could have actually found out all the info that he guesstimates on including the interest rate, the maturity, the covenants etc.

And the stadium is pretty much paid off. The level of debt is very manageable for a club with the revenue, operating profits and assets of the size of Arsenal.

I was actually at both the Everton and City matches. In the Everton end with a few Everton guys I know and in the away end for City.

I can live with the defeats but I can't accept the manner of them. To lose a lead twice. Unprepared, unwilling to fight. It's Groundhog day. Shows how important Mustafi has become and he is normally shouting and gives talking the troops.

Wenger and the board both need to go but neither will happen. No point in getting too upset about it at this stage as it's so predictable and it's not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Pudders wrote: »

I can live with the defeats but I can't accept the manner of them. To lose a lead twice. Unprepared, unwilling to fight. It's Groundhog day. Shows how important Mustafi has become and he is normally shouting and gives talking the troops.

Wenger and the board both need to go but neither will happen. No point in getting too upset about it at this stage as it's so predictable and it's not going to change.

QFT
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I get the disappointment - I'm there too - maybe lots of you were already there but with Sunday came the realisation that this team is not capable of winning the league (unless the poor performance causes a major reaction and attitude shift) but this thread has gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This is a red herring though. Spending does not equal effort, Leicester have proved that. Its pathetic because this team have shown consistently that in the big games away from home they just couldnt care less. That is a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

DvB wrote: »

QFT
    Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

greendom wrote: »
    I get the disappointment - I'm there too - maybe lots of you were already there but with Sunday came the realisation that this team is not capable of winning the league (unless the poor performance causes a major reaction and attitude shift) but this thread has gone to the dogs.

I think the run before the two defeats blinded a lot of fans, we were poor even during that run with the odd great performance (Chelsea, Watford first half, West Ham) but we lucked out in many performances (Southampton, Burnley, Spuds, Utd). But I never thought this side was ever good enough to win a title, it's a side built for a top 4 finish with the odd cup thrown in here or there. I fully expect us to win every game up to the Chelsea away game in February then it will hit the skids again. We will always go on a good run enough to keep us in the top 4 but we always falter somewhere along the line..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

emmetlego wrote: »
    Eh?

It means Quoted for truth, basically so the OP can't go back and change what he said. So basically he thinks the OP is going to change his opinion and he will use this to call him up on it.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think the run before the two defeats blinded a lot of fans, we were poor even during that run with the odd great performance (Chelsea, Watford first half, West Ham) but we lucked out in many performances (Southampton, Burnley, Spuds, Utd). But I never thought this side was ever good enough to win a title, it's a side built for a top 4 finish with the odd cup thrown in here or there. I fully expect us to win every game up to the Chelsea away game in February then it will hit the skids again. We will always go on a good run enough to keep us in the top 4 but we always falter somewhere along the line..

We were a team that came second in the league last year, and were strengthened with the decent signings of Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez. I don't think that's a team that is only built for a top 4 finish. Man for man we match any other team in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

astradave wrote: »
    It means Quoted for truth, basically so the OP can't go back and change what he said. So basically he thinks the OP is going to change his opinion and he will use this to call him up on it.

QFT - means quite fuc'king true. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

QFT - means quite fuc'king true. :)

Ha maybe I've been Americanised too much through reddit.

Never mind. Carry on.. nothing to see here :D

Basil3 wrote: »
    We were a team that came second in the league last year, and were strengthened with the decent signings of Mustafi, Xhaka and Perez. I don't think that's a team that is only built for a top 4 finish. Man for man we match any other team in the league.

Very true.
    But the same frailties are rearing they,re ugly head again and it seems to be throughout the team,hence my disappointment in Wenger.
    Im hoping that when Mustafi comes back that we might get back on track,but I have my doubts.
    I wish for nothing more than for this to be a blip because of his injury and that we are indeed progressing beyond the mediocrity(FA cup excluded) of the past few years,again I have my doubts.
    Hope Im proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Essentially we finished second because we were allowed to.

72, 75, 68, 70, 73, 79, 75, 71

Our points totals never really change. Injuries, signings etc have no affect on it.

Wenger just can't get this team to win the league because he can't hit 80 points anymore.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Essentially we finished second because we were allowed to.

72, 75, 68, 70, 73, 79, 75, 71

Our points totals never really change. Injuries, signings etc have no affect on it.

Wenger just can't get this team to win the league because he can't hit 80 points anymore.

All that matters is your points in relation to other teams. Last year we beat the champions twice, this year we've beaten the runaway leaders once. Maybe other teams doing better against the leaders would help us :p

All that matters is your points in relation to other teams. Last year we beat the champions twice, this year we've beaten the runaway leaders once. Maybe other teams doing better against the leaders would help us :p

But one team will always hit 80 points. Typically about 85 would win.

We cannot produce a winning season, that's just the truth of it.

Yes, we'll occasionally finish higher than Chelsea or Utd or City, but never all of them.

And even in the one year we did, Leicester produced what we couldn't and finished on 80 - the lowest winning total in years.

Now we can get back to moaning about oil money and soulless mercenaries ... but when they were all out of the picture, we still couldn't take the required points to win the league.

Our slow improvement from 4th to 3rd to 2nd has very little to do with us.

Maybe when given the opportunity, we could play like league leaders rather than relying on others to bring them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Glad I didnt post in here on Sunday. What an utter embarrasment the meltdown was. Okay we have lost our last 2 games, away from home against good opposition but in both games especially against Everton we had clear cut chances to kill the game off at 1-0.

I wish people would stop listening to the ridiculous bias the media have against us, ive read stuff like "has Wenger taking Arsenal as far as he can" and "Arsenal in crisis". Then you read the headlines about Utd and how great they look and that they have turned a corner.

We have 2 defeats in 16 league games whereas Utd have 3 defeats in 16 league games.

I am as disappointed as anyone over the performances the last 2 games, especially the 2nd half against City, but some of the crap wrote on here by so called fans is pathetic.

gosplan wrote: »
    Maybe when given the opportunity, we could play like league leaders rather than relying on others to bring them down.

Not having a go at you Basil, I just can't see any progress in years from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Glad I didnt post in here on Sunday. What an utter embarrasment the meltdown was. Okay we have lost our last 2 games, away from home against good opposition but in both games especially against Everton we had clear cut chances to kill the game off at 1-0.

I wish people would stop listening to the ridiculous bias the media have against us, ive read stuff like "has Wenger taking Arsenal as far as he can" and "Arsenal in crisis". Then you read the headlines about Utd and how great they look and that they have turned a corner.

We have 2 defeats in 16 league games whereas Utd have 3 defeats in 16 league games.

I am as disappointed as anyone over the performances the last 2 games, especially the 2nd half against City, but some of the crap wrote on here by so called fans is pathetic.

I see where you're coming from but utd had a new manager and new players to try a gel at the start of the season, and they seem to be getting it together(by no means are they world beaters)

Wereas we have more or less the same group of players who consistently bottle it when it comes to it, it's not a quality thing with Arsenal it's an attitude thing, when the players play like they did the other night I think they get a hug, instead they should be getting a kick up the hole.

• Advertisement

In both games we had clear cut chances to kill the game off at nil all.

It's very possible to not view that as a positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We have a good enough squad.
    All we need is a bit of tweaking and a manager who is a motivator, someone who demands hard work and effort and who has the tactical know-how to adapt styles of play for different teams.
    The above seems to be beyond our current manager in the last 10 years.
    He's become far too comfortable and there are no repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I've mentioned it here before - the only top team Arsenal have beaten this season is Chelsea (when they were sh*t at the start).
    This season they looked like they made some decent signings and could make a good go at the league.

Their biggest test of the season so far, playing against Everton and City, two tough teams and they bottle it.

Comparing Arsenal to United this season. Arsenal were in the mix for the league but are now 9 points behind Chelsea. After their good/easy start United fell away but are coming good again but we knew in the last few weeks that top 4 is all they can hope for this season.

It looks like top 4 is all Arsenal can hope for as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We have a good enough squad.
    All we need is a bit of tweaking and a manager who is a motivator, someone who demands hard work and effort and who has the tactical know-how to adapt styles of play for different teams.
    The above seems to be beyond our current manager in the last 10 years.
    He's become far too comfortable and there are no repercussions.

You have to blame the players for that listless performance on Sunday. Playing in one of the biggest games of the season, with a point to prove after the defeat on Tuesday and they produce such a lifeless, pathetic performance.

Wenger is to blame as well but if the players cannot bring themselves to give 100% in such a game then you really have to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You have to blame the players for that listless performance on Sunday. Playing in one of the biggest games of the season, with a point to prove after the defeat on Tuesday and they produce such a lifeless, pathetic performance.

Wenger is to blame as well but if the players cannot bring themselves to give 100% in such a game then you really have to wonder.
    He never blames them though.
    They receive no sanctions whatsoever.
    Otherwise they would not be selected for the next game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement