Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He never blames them though.
    They receive no sanctions whatsoever.
    Otherwise they would not be selected for the next game.

Publicly

We are not privy to what's said privately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    Publicly

We are not privy to what's said privately

We are privy to the fact that someone who has an awful game starts the next day though.

We are privy to the fact that someone who has an awful game starts the next day though.

What's the other option? He dropped Jenkinson and the subs for Ox and Theo haven't set the game alight either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

What's the other option? He dropped Jenkinson and the subs for Ox and Theo haven't set the game alight either

Neither ever have, and I don't want to hear people say Walcott has so many goals Bla bla, how many of them were put on a plate, he contributes nothing to games, the Ox is 20 minute player at most, both need to be sold

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Neither ever have, and I don't want to hear people say Walcott has so many goals Bla bla, how many of them were put on a plate, he contributes nothing to games, the Ox is 20 minute player at most, both need to be sold

We were all singing Theo's praises up to 2 weeks ago...

Not me I've never sang his praises, I've always been clear how I felt about Walcott

Not me I've never sang his praises, I've always been clear how I felt about Walcott

Deserves not credit this season???

I even begrudgingly gave him praise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

So what it doesn't change the fact he plays in an inconsistent manner,which has always been his biggest flaw,he was praised because he had a few good games with the caveat being,wait for his usual uselessness to return.

Read somewhere about interest in Dimitri Payet,I know it's transfer speculation bs but interested to see what people think..
    I'd be for it,swap Theo or ox and a few quid,I'd say the hammers would take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Bull.

He isn't even a footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Read somewhere about interest in Dimitri Payet,I know it's transfer speculation bs but interested to see what people think..
    I'd be for it,swap Theo or ox and a few quid,I'd say the hammers would take it.
    If we lost Ozil, I'd take Payet

Theo is a finisher, not a creator. That's just how it is. He is scoring goals, and he is doing a tonne more defensive work than other players who are performing well in his position such as Hazard or Mane.

Basil3 wrote: »

Theo is a finisher, not a creator. That's just how it is. He is scoring goals, and he is doing a tonne more defensive work than other players who are performing well in his position such as Hazard or Mane.
    I'd have Hazard over Theo all day long. Theo is not good or even consistently decent enough to be an Arsenal player. Neither is Ox or Ramsey. I think they have bags of potential, but have never realised it, and that has to be down to the coaching.

All in all, we are in dire straits at the moment and the manner of our last 2 defeats, could see us spiral out of control.

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'd have Hazard over Theo all day long. Theo is not good or even consistently decent enough to be an Arsenal player. Neither is Ox or Ramsey. I think they have bags of potential, but have never realised it, and that has to be down to the coaching.

All in all, we are in dire straits at the moment and the manner of our last 2 defeats, could see us spiral out of control.

Yeah, anyone would have Hazard. My point is that Theo is what he is, and he is performing well this year. Hazard is probably being paid close to double Theo, so not exactly an option for us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Walcott is infuriating, when he's playing well he can be excellent but he's far too hit and miss for my liking. He's never been the same player since he got injured against Spurs. Seems to have bulked up alot too and has lost the pace that used to be his biggest strength. Dont think he'd have lasted this long at any of the other top clubs tbh.

By defensive work do you mean running back jockeying players without putting in any sort of tackle and allowing them to cross?
    He offers nothing

By defensive work do you mean running back jockeying players without putting in any sort of tackle and allowing them to cross?
    He offers nothing
    Like he did against Everton. Exactly.

He offers nothing

By defensive work I mean tackles, intercepts, blocks. He does a load more of this than someone like Hazard. I know it's not why he's on the pitch, but it shows that he works hard for the team.

I'm sure you'll find a way to say otherwise, but whatever. I'm not even Theo's biggest fan, but I think he deserves less criticism than some other players. He's at least pulling his weight with the goal scoring, whether they are handed to him on a plate or not.

By defensive work I mean tackles, intercepts, blocks. He does a load more of this than someone like Hazard. I know it's not why he's on the pitch, but it shows that he works hard for the team.

I'm sure you'll find a way to say otherwise, but whatever. I'm not even Theo's biggest fan, but I think he deserves less criticism than some other players. He's at least pulling his weight with the goal scoring, whether they are handed to him on a plate or not.

I have yet to witness this.

• Advertisement

I have yet to witness this.

Football stats are freely available.

I hope you're not counting the "effort" he put into stopping the Everton cross for their winner.

Im nearly inclined to sell Ozil,I dont think we have a good enough team to support him when hes off the boil,definition of a luxury player.

He's having a good season so far Ill give him that,always praise the lad when he plays well it just too sporadic for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hope you're not counting the "effort" he put into stopping the Everton cross for their winner.
    That was very poor defending. I enjoyed watching him bundle De Bruyne over the corner flag on Sunday though. Thought that was a sign that we were going to be aggressive in the fixture. Couldn't have been more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I'm not Walcotts biggest fan. Fair enough he has chipped in with a decent amount of goals and assists this season and fair play to him. My problem is that he doesn't do enough in general play. He always seems to me to be going through the motions. I just don't think he pushes himself enough and utilises his pace enough. He will always be a threat with his pace, but when he eventually loses that he will become a poor to average footballer IMO.

Yeah I'm not Walcotts biggest fan. Fair enough he has chipped in with a decent amount of goals and assists this season and fair play to him. My problem is that he doesn't do enough in general play. He always seems to me to be going through the motions. I just don't think he pushes himself enough and utilises his pace enough. He will always be a threat with his pace, but when he eventually loses that he will become a poor to average footballer IMO.

IMO he already is a poor to average player, don't know how many times against city and Everton we had the ball wait for him to make a run in behind the full back, but know he'd rather get it to feet and play it back to bellerin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The problem we have is our players are so up and down.

Liverpool dropped their goalie for a string of poor performances.

Our players just don't turn up for the odd game but dropping them mightn't necessarily be the solution.

No point in dropping Ozil and Xhaka for a match against Burnley or something.

Next big away game though I'd go

Coq
    Elneny
    Wally - Rambo - Sachez
    Giroud

Sanchez and Giroud doesn't work though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gosplan wrote: »
    The problem we have is our players are so up and down.

Liverpool dropped their goalie for a string of poor performances.

Our players just don't turn up for the odd game but dropping them mightn't necessarily be the solution.

No point in dropping Ozil and Xhaka for a match against Burnley or something.

Next big away game though I'd go

Coq
    Elneny
    Wally - Rambo - Sachez
    Giroud

I really, really don't like the Coquelin/El Neny partnership as there is basically no creativity there. It didn't inspire anything at Old Trafford a few weeks back.

I know Coquelin has been playing well this season, but I just wish he would hold his position and be the midfielder furthest back. I noticed in the Everton game and at times in the Man City game he would be the advanced midfielder and trying to create things while his midfield partner would be sitting deep. Coquelin is an average footballer on the ball and yet he's taking it upon himself (or instructed to by Wenger) to get forward and join in on attacks or create things. It's infuriating as he's not good enough on the ball to be doing these things. If we are relying on Coquelin to create things or go on attacks then we won't be doing much going forward.

Maybe I'm being harsh on him, but I'd rather he sat deep, shield the defence and be the destroyer that he is. Let the other midfielders get on the ball and make things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Sanchez and Wellbeck might though.

No but we should do a bit of the Fergie style Park-Ji-Sung approach to big away games.

We never play good football in these games so stop trying. Just be solid and look to nick one. No point in playing solid counter attacking football with Ozil, Iwobi and Wally on the pitch when all of them manage to be **** going forward.

Defend, look to get one through a set piece or a bit of luck.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    No but we should do a bit of the Fergie style Park-Ji-Sung approach to big away games.

We never play good football in these games so stop trying. Just be solid and look to nick one. No point in playing solid counter attacking football with Ozil, Iwobi and Wally on the pitch when all of them manage to be **** going forward.

Defend, look to get one through a set piece or a bit of luck.

Our defence isn't strong enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We've the best RB in the league. Arguably the best CB in the league. One of the most expensive CBs in the league who has won honours at an International level. One of the best LBs in the league. A record breaking GK behind them in goals.

What part of our defense isn't good enough?

It may not be on the day but we typically go out in big away games and utterly fail to impose our style of play.

So why keep trying?

Giroud from the start would be a real option for a game like that - so bypass Xhaka, Ozil, etc.

Play the most solid team we can and see what happens.

At least it's trying something different.

Quazzie wrote: »
    We've the best RB in the league. Arguably the best CB in the league. One of the most expensive CBs in the league who has won honours at an International level. One of the best LBs in the league. A record breaking GK behind them in goals.

The Manager.

Quazzie wrote: »

Its fine when all those 4 are available and playing together. Otherwise.... nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Hi guys, were looking at going to the Burnley game on 22nd Jan.
    K.O. is at 14:15....we need to make a flight either from 19:10 from Heathrow or 19:15 from London City...doable??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

K.O. is at 14:15....we need to make a flight either from 19:10 from Heathrow or 19:15 from London City...doable??

Good thing about Heathrow is that you can get to it on the tube from Arsenal underground direct. You "should" be ok !!!

Tight but do able to LHR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

My friend who Im going with says London City might be easier because of easier departures and security?
    According to the london transport website it should take a similar amount of time(50mins)

If the game finishes at 16:15, were at the clock end, how long until were out of the stadium you reckon?

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we lost Ozil for Payet we'd instantly become a significantly inferior team.

Chances of getting Draxler in January ?

An upgrade on our current wingers certainly but as both Ox and Walcott are fit and healthy and contributing to the first team I don't see it happening, especially with 40 million being the required fee.

I imagine he'll be plying his trade with PSG.

I don't think we'll be doing any significant business in January unless an important squad member picks up a serious injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

greendom wrote: »
    Chances of getting Draxler in January ?

An upgrade on our current wingers certainly but as both Ox and Walcott are fit and healthy and contributing to the first team I don't see it happening, especially with 40 million being the required fee.

I imagine he'll be plying his trade with PSG.

I don't think we'll be doing any significant business in January unless an important squad member picks up a serious injury.

Sadly I think Wengers loyalty to some players will stop any move for Draxler

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

both are doable but I would prefer city personally.

I fly out of city twice a week. I am never at the airport earlier than 40 minutes before my flight and have always made the flight. I actually flew out of their this morning on a 6.35 flight and got to the airport at 6.05, checked in bags and still had loads of time. Security is a doddle as long as you don't forget liquid or laptops etc in your bag. Would take about 45 minutes in a cab.
    Heathrow also doable but it is an hour 15 on the tube from Finsbury park approximately.

But the issue you have is getting a taxi after the match unless you have one booked or queueing to get on the tube.

Not my idea of what his role should be.
    That's too much of a let-off excuse for lazy play.
    Everyone should help with the defending.

I disagree there. He's a playmaker. We have enough midfielders and defenders who should be defending. If he wasn't as skilful maybe. But him chasing after players is a waste of his talents. Show pony not work horse

some of his best play comes when the ball breaks from our defence and he is just outside our penalty area - an incisive pass or dribble and we are away

greendom wrote: »
    some of his best play comes when the ball breaks from our defence and he is just outside our penalty area - an incisive pass or dribble and we are away

Yes but for me he's been hiding away out on the wing of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I disagree there. He's a playmaker. We have enough midfielders and defenders who should be defending. If he wasn't as skilful maybe. But him chasing after players is a waste of his talents. Show pony not work horse

It's not a waste of his talents if we're not on the ball, what are his skills as a playmaker gonna contribute when we're the ones pegged back or being caught on the break?

I agree with Tayto in that everyone should be chipping in with the defensive work, Giroud should often be our furthest man forward but that doesn't stop him from getting stuck in or defending corners, no reason Mesut can't contribute to the defence too.

• Advertisement

Yes but for me he's been hiding away out on the wing of late.

he was very poor against Everton and Man City - as was most of the team. I really hope they have got that out of their systems or we are in desperate trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement