Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

gosplan wrote: »
    Video of Xhaka vrs Watford.

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/08/video-granit-xhaka-v-watford-2016/

Savage range of passing for a deep lying midfielder.

Like we give out about Ozil not getting on the end of things, Sanchez coming too deep for the ball and running at people and Wally not using his pace properly.

It seems like releasing Walcott and Sanchez early can solve their problems and allows Ozil to drift to the edge of the box without always having to be responsible forInstigating the move.

I'm absolutely reading too much into it but very very promising anyway.

I'm loving those long diagnol balls from Xhaka, We have been caught with those so many times...now we can use them too and created 3-4 chances out of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but Sanchez is only tracking back to recover the ball that he lost :p
    And then he wins it, and loses it all over again except in a much worse position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Quazzie wrote: »
    And then he wins it, and loses it all over again except in a much worse position

He needs to stop thinking he can beat the half of the opposition with his trickery...He needs to pass and move like he exchanged passed with Ozil on couple of occasions against watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Chambers off to Boro on loan. Probably a good move for him, Karanka is pretty defensive minded. Hopefully he'll kick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gosplan wrote: »

That pass at the 1m 5sec mark was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That was actually our best performance so far I'd say. Xhaka was outstanding, looks like a brilliant purchase by Wenger.
    On Chambers, could be a great move for him. Game time will help! Speaks volumes about what Wenger thinks of Holding as opposed to Chambers. Good few days with the announcement of the 2 boys too

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Great performance I thought on Saturday. Little ropey at the end but I put that down to us not knowing whether to go for more or sit back, and the new guys still settling in.

Xhaka was fantastic, definitely more bully than we've had in the team for a while. I can see some cynical yellows on the cards (pardon the pun) for him later in the season. and those long-balls were sublime. Having cazorla, xhaka and ozil on the pitch at the same time made things tick very quickly, and I hope we keep it up with those three in the middle.

I think cazorlas fitness will probably be taken into account and wilshere and coquelin will be getting more gametime in that position (and ramsey, when's he back?) but cazorla really does have everything for that position and I hope he plays as much as possible.

Sanchez and ozil have just the silliest amount of control of the football, and i think for all of Sanchez's running into people, he still is a great finisher and a good reader of the game (when he looks up). Id like him back on the left but he's good enough to help the team up front at the moment.

And Theo "The Unbelievably Frustrating Enigma" Walcott, what the hell do we do with this guy?! If he puts in shifts like that and adds some goals which he i clearly capable of, then play him all day. But how can he be so inconsistent that you forget these days are possible for him?! I hope having bought Perez lights a fire under his arse, and the two of them fight for the CF/RW roles over the year if he keeps this up!

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Great performance I thought on Saturday. Little ropey at the end but I put that down to us not knowing whether to go for more or sit back, and the new guys still settling in.

Xhaka was fantastic, definitely more bully than we've had in the team for a while. I can see some cynical yellows on the cards (pardon the pun) for him later in the season. and those long-balls were sublime. Having cazorla, xhaka and ozil on the pitch at the same time made things tick very quickly, and I hope we keep it up with those three in the middle.

I think cazorlas fitness will probably be taken into account and wilshere and coquelin will be getting more gametime in that position (and ramsey, when's he back?) but cazorla really does have everything for that position and I hope he plays as much as possible.

Sanchez and ozil have just the silliest amount of control of the football, and i think for all of Sanchez's running into people, he still is a great finisher and a good reader of the game (when he looks up). Id like him back on the left but he's good enough to help the team up front at the moment.

And Theo "The Unbelievably Frustrating Enigma" Walcott, what the hell do we do with this guy?! If he puts in shifts like that and adds some goals which he i clearly capable of, then play him all day. But how can he be so inconsistent that you forget these days are possible for him?! I hope having bought Perez lights a fire under his arse, and the two of them fight for the CF/RW roles over the year if he keeps this up!

Ifs/buts/maybes and consistently inconsistent should not wash anymore. he has been at Arsenal since he was 17 in 2006 and there hasnt been much improvement at least not on a consistent basis. Questionable body language. Amazingly, he was playing very well prior to signing his contract extension some time back but despite picking up a handsome wage he has gone back if anything. I thought the curve was going up for him but when we needed experienced leaders to step up to the plate during the business end of last season he was nowhere to be seen. Very very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ifs/buts/maybes and consistently inconsistent should not wash anymore. he has been at Arsenal since he was 17 in 2006 and there hasnt been much improvement at least not on a consistent basis. Questionable body language. Amazingly, he was playing very well prior to signing his contract extension some time back but despite picking up a handsome wage he has gone back if anything. I thought the curve was going up for him but when we needed experienced leaders to step up to the plate during the business end of last season he was nowhere to be seen. Very very disappointing.

He's in his 11 th year with Arsenal and now 27 years of age.
    Should be approaching his peak now.
    55 goals in 236 appearances ( 1 in 4 ).

I don't have a lot of faith in Theo but it might be a bad time to sell him. I'd give him another year. He needs to show guts and determination.

He's in his 11 th year with Arsenal and now 27 years of age.
    Should be approaching his peak now.
    55 goals in 236 appearances ( 1 in 4 ).

I don't have a lot of faith in Theo but it might be a bad time to sell him. I'd give him another year. He needs to show guts and determination.

How many of those appearances was he starting, just out of interest?

Theo knows he needs to step up, he seems pretty determined. You also know what you get with Theo. He's not a creator, he's not a workhorse. To get the best out of him, you need to play to his strengths....we all know this.

If he plays regularly this season, I'd expect him to get 15-20 goals.

• Advertisement

He's at least trying, which is encouraging. Would have scored from that Xhaka pass but for a great save.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Really hate these international breaks so early in the season!

I think Mustafi and Perez will be unveiled tomorrow...that right?

Would really be thrilled if we could get another decent signing in but I don't expect it. Will be more than happy to get the two boyos plus Xhaka.

Has Wenger done enough this window? It's probably too early to say but he seems to have acknowledged the gaps and done something about them at long last!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

I see the spanish soccer expert G balague says that mustafi is not good enough for arsenal ... what do you think of that joe brolly?

Really hate these international breaks so early in the season!

I think Mustafi and Perez will be unveiled tomorrow...that right?

Would really be thrilled if we could get another decent signing in but I don't expect it. Will be more than happy to get the two boyos plus Xhaka.

Has Wenger done enough this window? It's probably too early to say but he seems to have acknowledged the gaps and done something about them at long last!

I dont think its enough. Again, I feel the main problem at Arsenal IS Wenger. Personnel doesnt excuse the complete collapses we are prone to in games like United away and Swansea home last season. Until we produce this season against the likes of a United team managed by that man or Chelsea we'll always be wondering what if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

keano_afc wrote: »
    I dont think its enough. Again, I feel the main problem at Arsenal IS Wenger. Personnel doesnt excuse the complete collapses we are prone to in games like United away and Swansea home last season. Until we produce this season against the likes of a United team managed by that man or Chelsea we'll always be wondering what if.
    He's here till the end of the year, and despite you knowing, I knowing, and the dog in the street knowing that we'll collapse at some stage to the laughs of everyone else in the league, we're stuck with Wenger now, so we may aswell enjoy the ride while it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's here till the end of the year, and despite you knowing, I knowing, and the dog in the street knowing that we'll collapse at some stage to the laughs of everyone else in the league, we're stuck with Wenger now, so we may aswell enjoy the ride while it lasts.

And ....... he'll be back next year too, and the year after, .....and the year after.
    Ronseal Wenger. We're stuck with him.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I have more faith in Theo than Ox at this stage. If there's anyone I'd be letting go it would be Ox. He flatters to deceive. He's younger but I'd rely more on Theo than Mr Chamberlain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Surely this will free up space to bring in one more?

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/770372933810282496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Best wishes to Chambers at boro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Why the f*ck would they do that? We need him.

F*ck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Rumour tonight is that we will let Jack go on loan to gain fitness. I was only thinking where does he fit in now that we have a shed load of midfielders...

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Why the f*ck would they do that? We need him.

F*ck sake.

We have cover- hope he gets game time

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

j14 wrote: »
    Rumour tonight is that we will let Jack go on loan to gain fitness. I was only thinking where does he fit in now that we have a shed load of midfielders...

wonder where to? Hope it's to a decent overseas side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

cremeegg wrote: »
    I see the spanish soccer expert G balague says that mustafi is not good enough for arsenal ... what do you think of that joe brolly?

Guillem Balague said yesterday "If you want to see goals , watch villareal and sevilla tonight"

Ended up 0-0 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id be very surprised if Wilshere is sent out on loan, wonder where does he fit into the long term plan? Hopefully we can go a bit better this season on the injury front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Surely this will free up space to bring in one more?

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/770372933810282496

If he can find a team where he can guarantee first team football week in week out that has to be a good thing for him and especially for Arsenal considering how well stocked we are in midfield atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

mansize wrote: »
    We have cover- hope he gets game time

We have cover until Santi, Rambo, Coq, Alexis and (presumably) Xhaka are all injured in mid Sept.

If there's one thing we know for absolute definite, it's that we cannot have too much cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Yea as long as it's just the loan, not an option to buy. Him going out and getting some first team football can only be a good thing. I think Jack at 100% is one of our best, it's just been so long since he was at 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

I hope Jack goes to Newcastle. They've improved and Benitez is a good manager who'll help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Probably the right call for everyone

But I hate seen Jack go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Think he will end up at West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To be honest I'd rather he went to an Everton/West Ham/ Southampton hes miles too good for the championship and he won't learn much more down there

DenMan wrote: »
    I hope Jack goes to Newcastle. They've improved and Benitez is a good manager who'll help him.

Id prefer to see him play at a top level club and preferably a league where he wont have to suffer heavy challenges each week. This might help him to get a run of games going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Love Jack, but too injury prone. Needs a good run somewhere to see if he can make it through being first choice and playing week in/out. I doubt he can. Still love the bloke. Love to see him get a run injury free and return to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

After seeing our squad list I'm really not surprised that we are willing to let some players go especially in midfield. We really are stacked there, I can understand Jack going out on loan as he really hasn't played any football in about two years, so he really needs to start to get some game time and he is down the pecking order now.
    He needs to get a run of games which he won't get with us currently, this is a good thing though as it shows we actually have strength in depth now. Have a full season elsewhere and come back next season when maybe Santi will be that bit older and maybe be phased out. Having said all this, it's Arsenal so usually we get multiple injuries and will regret him leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hopefully this is just bull****. He is exactly the type of player we need in those games were teams sit back on us, we also have cups and CL games to play and our midfield players have a history of being injured. We need to keep strong option and a competitive environment

For me it's an awful decision if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Good move for Chambers...hopefully he will learn more about defending from Karanka than he would from Wenger!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We have cover until Santi, Rambo, Coq, Alexis and (presumably) Xhaka are all injured in mid Sept.

If there's one think we know for absolute definite, it's that we cannot have too much cover.

I was talking about Chambers- but we def have cover for Jack too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If these loan stories about Jack are true I'd prefer seeing him go to Spain rather than one of our rivals. If he can stay injury free I think he can make a serious impact for a team.

Sending him to the Championship would be like getting Nurse Annie from Misery to take care of him !!

misery-owned_o_200017.gif

gandalf wrote: »
    If these loan stories about Jack are true I'd prefer seeing him go to Spain rather than one of our rivals. If he can stay injury free I think he can make a serious impact for a team.

Sending him to the Championship would be like getting Nurse Annie from Misery to take care of him !!

:D:D

lol thats brilliant

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »

I though she was busy with Kompany...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I think it's a good move for club and player.. He's 6th choice CM as it is.. He needs an extended run and he wont get it as things stand.. With Chambers and Wilshere leaving- could there possibly be one more coming in? No? Didn't think so

After thinking about it

There is no way I would leave Jack go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

After thinking about it

We only added one midfielder this summer. Flamini is also gone and we called upon him a few times last season.

We struggled at times last year to field a midfield, we would be one player less options wise.

In addition Jack is simply too good to be loaned out, he offers a directness and energy that we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

After thinking about it

639242620_1222001.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Sky sports reporting that Gnabry is set to sign for Bayern, terrible if true, he has huge potential and the fact that Bayern want him is a sign of his ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

wonga77 wrote: »
    Sky sports reporting that Gnabry is set to sign for Bayern, terrible if true, he has huge potential and the fact that Bayern want him is a sign of his ability

So Campbell, Wilshere and Gnabry out and just Perez in? How long before Chamberlain, Walcott and Sanchez get injured and we end up playing Gibbs on the wing?

Look liked gnabry wants away and Wenger wants too keep him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Lacazette injured :O did we dodge a bullet there?
    http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11800/10555423/ligue-1-round-up-alexandre-lacazette-injured-in-lyon-defeat-to-dijon

I bet if we signed him his injury will be a lot longer!

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    So Campbell, Wilshere and Gnabry out and just Perez in? How long before Chamberlain, Walcott and Sanchez get injured and we end up playing Gibbs on the wing?

Only Campbell played on the wing out of those 3. Wilshere played centrally, and Gnabry wasn't with us. Basically it's Campbell out, Perez in.

The Jeff has also been promoted to the first team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement