Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

mansize wrote: »
    Xhaka can leave please!

Cost this team so much

I thought he was very good today. Passes the ball well. Always open for it. Broke up play well.

Gave away the penalty but other than that was very good.
    he also assisted the last goal.

Anyways **** arsenal and wenger.

Cant wait for him to finally leave.

Enough is enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And thats solely down to Mustafi?

It's a pretty silly point to be fair, we generally looked far more solid with him than Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Forgive me while I type my musings

Cech is not a world class shot stopper anymore.

Bellerin had a very bad night at the office.

Giroud, despite getting a goal and 2 assists. Jesus, he has great talent, but does not work hard enough. How many times tonight I saw a pass meant for him, misplaced, and instead of making the defender work for his clearance, he just stopped and looked at the passer of the ball to moan. Cheese eating surrender monkey stuff. Very frustrating. To go celebrate with the fans at 3-3 goal, instead of rushing up for the tip off... Jesus, blood pressure rose an octave there.

Ramsey. No. Sorry, but it's years since he produced anything of note for this club.

Ox? No, sorry. Made some progress this year, but then crawls back under his rock.

Sanchez. When he was playing poorly, we were too. He turns it on, and we turned up.

Xhaka contributes a lot with ball at feet, but without ball, he is a bit of a loose canon. So was Vieira, so I'll grant him some time (I'm sure he'll be delighted!)

Overall, a terrible performance, and it speaks more about this team that the previous 70 minutes of apathy was good enough to lose 3-0, rather than the last 20, which we know they are all capable of. Shame the desire is not there enough for the full 90.

As I said earlier, I'm not angry anymore at these type of performances, I'm as apathetic as the players are most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

It's a pretty silly point to be fair, we generally looked far more solid with him than Gabriel.

2 clean sheets in Gabs last 2 starts.

2 clean sheets in Gabs last 2 starts.

Yeah home games against weak opposition, Rob Holding would have kept a clean sheet there. What about the two games before that you ignored :D

I've nothing against Gabriel really, but Mustafi is definitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

We're gonna have a hell of a battle for a top four place. We're just not good enough to sustain a serious title challenge.

The body check wasn't pointless. It stopped a Bournemouth breakaway.
    Please stop making sensible posts. SOme people here won't understand. They know more than a professional footballer.

(PS, I made this point earlier too. Great minds/fools etc etc)

Yeah home games against weak opposition, Rob Holding would have kept a clean sheet there. What about the two games before that you ignored :D

I've nothing against Gabriel really, but Mustafi is definitely better.

Mustafi doesn't have a clean sheet since October. Genuinely think Gabriel is the better player and will prove it in the long run.

AdamD wrote: »
    Mental strength isn't coming down from 3-0 down, it's not needing a 3-0 nothing to lose scenario to come out of your shell.

No matter what the team does, people will say they lack mental strength.

Coming back from 3-0 down definitely shows some character, especially when the third goal could have easily made them feel like the ref was against them and their heads could have dropped.

• Advertisement

Mustafi doesn't have a clean sheet since October. Genuinely think Gabriel is the better player and will prove it in the long run.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just think Mustafi will be a real class player in time, I'm not as confident with Gabriel. There's a touch of Kos when he arived first, I see in Mustafi.

Also, meant to say, think we missed Elneny tonight!

Basil3 wrote: »
    No matter what the team does, people will say they lack mental strength.

Coming back from 3-0 down definitely shows some character, especially when the third goal could have easily made them feel like the ref was against them and their heads could have dropped.

Seriously Basil, are you going to ignore the first 70 minutes? That was a complete lack of character. It was obvious that they showed lack of character when we scored 1, they folded!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Seriously Basil, are you going to ignore the first 70 minutes? That was a complete lack of character. It was obvious that they showed lack of character when we scored 1, they folded!

First 70 minutes I just call playing like cr*p. Never been a fan of the same tired old clichés.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Wenger moaning about the extra days rest Bournemouth had. Seriously shut up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

omega man wrote: »

Was just about to post the same thing. Also predicted he'd say it earlier. Like shut the f*ck up Arsene and admit that we didn't deserve to win for the first time ever! It's a rough period for every team in the premier league.

With respect, this is a huge issue, 48 hours compared to 72 is huge in muscle fatigue. This is something I actually factually know about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think the criticism of Giroud by Emmetlogo is very harsh. The man has shown outstanding character after barely featuring for much of the season. When called upon he has brought his A game. 2 assists and a goal tonight. What more can you ask for from your striker ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That doesn't explain Ramsey who was lethargic as **** and didn't contribute **** all and didn't play the last game

That is a big deal. Liverpool wouldn't have drawn with Sunderland yesterday and we would have beaten Bournemouth with oroper rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

greendom wrote: »
    Think the criticism of Giroud by Emmetlogo is very harsh. The man has shown outstanding character after barely featuring for much of the season. When called upon he has brought his A game. 2 assists and a goal tonight. What more can you ask for from your striker ?

Unfair criticism says more about the critic.

As I said in my post, great talent. But his application has been sh1t. A very frustrating character. Needs to work harder more often and focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

That doesn't explain Ramsey who was lethargic as **** and didn't contribute **** all and didn't play the last game

Ramsey is ****e, seriously one of the most overrated players I've seen

As I said in my post, great talent. But his application has been sh1t. A very frustrating character. Needs to work harder more often and focus.
    Feed him and he will score (or assist)

Yep agreed his awful and only shines with Wales because all there other players bar Bale are rubbish , I'd have sent him on loan and kept Wilshire

He screwed up big time for Wales in the quarters with his rash challenge tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I have it here on mobdro and I'm seeing it 20 seconds at a time.

Let me give out damnit.

Sorry, but you said you were working and only followed scores on here after telling how poor passing was and how terrible our team was.

Very detailed description it was tbh.

You can give out all you want, but don't pretend to know what happened in the game after watching 20s at time, without even knowing that we were away...

Good comeback today anyway, and very happy with Giroud, he has reasons to celebrate this week :)

The body check wasn't pointless. It stopped a Bournemouth breakaway.

A breakaway to what? Waste time? He made it easier. He cost this side tonight and has done before

Feed him and he will score (or assist)

I'm not doubting that at all. I will say this to clarify, if he had Sanchez's work-rate and desire, Giroud would make a far more significant contribution to what he already does.

Surely you cannot be blind to his tantrums on pitch and his arm tossing into the air while the ball is still in play, and in his locality. He needs to cut that out, and try work as a team member and try make it difficult for the opposition or try win the ball back. I have never doubted his talent at all. I also appreciate his limitations, but attitude is a huge issue with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yep agreed his awful and only shines with Wales because all there other players bar Bale are rubbish , I'd have sent him on loan and kept Wilshire

Wilshere better you think? Same quality (or lack of it) in my opinion.

Average really.

Wilshire gets a bit of a raw deal because of his injury history but I think he's a much better player than ramsey

Wilshere can at least pass a ball straight, and hold onto it.

• Advertisement

Wilshire gets a bit of a raw deal because of his injury history but I think he's a much better player than ramsey

Agreed. Given an option of a fully fit version of either, I'd go for Jackie all day long!

And not bloody side ways or backwards. At least 2 years since he delivered for the club in my eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Agreed. Given an option of a fully fit version of either, I'd go for Jackie all day long!

Don't think we'll ever have that option :)

He's definitely improved in the last few weeks then. Last match I watched about a month ago, he gave the ball away regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

In Ramsey's head he is Thierry Henry, when in reality he is Lenny henry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I wouldn't be keen to see the back of Ramsey, Ox or Wilshire until they are playing for Arsenal under another manager.

I think they are with Arsene too long.

Ramsey might need a change of scenery. A Modric - Ramsey - Kroos midfield looks tasty and would do serious damage. 50 million would be a win for all three parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I genuinely think Szczesny performed at an equal or higher level for Arsenal than Cech. Cech gets beaten at his near post a ridiculous amount and has generally been pretty poor from a shot stopping perspective.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'm not doubting that at all. I will say this to clarify, if he had Sanchez's work-rate and desire, Giroud would make a far more significant contribution to what he already does.

Good luck to 15-stone Giroud trying to match the mobility/work-rate of Sanchez. It's just not physically possible.

Can't see what your argument is coming from - granted, Grioud's a donkey at times (to be expected given his size), but there's literally no fault in his attitude or work-ethic and it shouldn't be questioned. He puts it all in and it's not his fault he lacks the ability of a genuine world-class striker. However, he ain't far off...

On another note, who was the person bombing back and ended up in the CB's position when Gosling put his shot wide after we were countered at 3-2 down? Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sensational comeback all the same. That was some strike by Perez. Delighted with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Well that should put any doubt away now about our title aspirations. Officially over, can't be going three nil down to a team like Bournemouth. Credit for the come back alright, but the application wasn't right from the get go, especially defensively. We were all over the shop at the back. Bellerin had a stinker.

We won't win a league again under Wenger, I think that much is clear at this stage. So in order to give the club a chance of that, a change is needed at the end of the season. It might go pear shaped, but the chance has to be taken. It's the same ****e every season, regardless of the players we have.

Yeah I reckon we're facing into a United/Liverpool situation where we may have to go back to go forward .

Don't renew his contract get in someone else Allegri or Howe or whoever they want to get in and see what happens

x PyRo wrote: »
    Good luck to 15-stone Giroud trying to match the mobility/work-rate of Sanchez. It's just not physically possible.

Can't see what your argument is coming from - granted, Grioud's a donkey at times (to be expected given his size), but there's literally no fault in his attitude or work-ethic and it shouldn't be questioned. He puts it all in and it's not his fault he lacks the ability of a genuine world-class striker. However, he ain't far off...

On another note, who was the person bombing back and ended up in the CB's position when Gosling put his shot wide after we were countered at 3-2 down? Giroud.

Listen, I see all that he does good, I'm not blind to it. But on at least 4 occasions tonight, a ball was played (badly) to him and he just stopped and threw a dirty look or threw his arms in the air. That is not good enough in my opinion for a well paid professional, who plays in a team sport. Sorry if you disagree, but I think that is a given if you play a team sport at a professional level.

I never expected him to run like Sanchez, if I gave that impression, I apologise, what I want is him to have the same attitude as Sanchez. That, I will not apologise for!

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Listen, I see all that he does good, I'm not blind to it. But on at least 4 occasions tonight, a ball was played (badly) to him and he just stopped and threw a dirty look or threw his arms in the air. That is not good enough in my opinion for a well paid professional, who plays in a team sport. Sorry if you disagree, but I think that is a given if you play a team sport at a professional level.

I never expected him to run like Sanchez, if I gave that impression, I apologise, what I want is him to have the same attitude as Sanchez. That, I will not apologise for!

You're entitled to your opinion Emmet, I just don't agree. The arm-throwing shit does annoy me too but the man, in my opinion, puts it all in time and time again and he is one of the last who has a question to answer with regard to attitude.

I just wish he was a bit more mobile - if he was, he'd be one of the best strikers in the world. As it stands, he's the best second-choice striker in the world! Not bad as first choice either, particularly in a team that flat-out refuse to play to his strengths.

x PyRo wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion Emmet, I just don't agree. The arm-throwing shit does annoy me too but the man, in my opinion, puts it all in time and time again and he is one of the last who has a question to answer with regard to attitude.

I just wish he was a bit more mobile - if he was, he'd be one of the best strikers in the world. As it stands, he's the best second-choice striker in the world! Not bad as first choice either, particularly in a team that flat-out refuse to play to his strengths.

Agree fully with your second paragraph. Glad you partially agree with me in the 1st paragraph. He could spend those moments trying to retrieve the ball! Sorry, it's just a bugbear of mine.

Ramsey might need a change of scenery. A Modric - Ramsey - Kroos midfield looks tasty and would do serious damage. 50 million would be a win for all three parties.

Modric and Kroos can't really function together without Casemiro playing, and you want to throw Aaron Ramsey in instead :pac:

That midfield would be overrun by anyone half decent

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I genuinely think Szczesny performed at an equal or higher level for Arsenal than Cech. Cech gets beaten at his near post a ridiculous amount and has generally been pretty poor from a shot stopping perspective.

I really think Ospina deserves a run in the Premier League. He hasn't put a foot wrong in the Champions League and Cech is not the keeper he once was.

Modric and Kroos can't really function together without Casemiro playing, and you want to throw Aaron Ramsey in instead :pac:

That midfield would be overrun by anyone half decent

They only need Casemiro for the very big games. He has only played 5 times in the league this year so Ramsey could slide in for 90% of games. Ramsey with Bale at club level = :cool:

They only need Casemiro for the very big games. He has only played 5 times in the league this year so Ramsey could slide in for 90% of games. Ramsey with Bale at club level = :cool:

I wouldn't complain anyway, 50m for Ramsey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

With respect, this is a huge issue, 48 hours compared to 72 is huge in muscle fatigue. This is something I actually factually know about.

On a personal level I agree with respect to an individuals abilty to recover, however our squad depth should counteract the impact against a team like Bournemouth.

Regardless Wenger shouldn't be making excuses like that when asked if he should give credit to Bournemouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He can only he chooses not to. Ramsay a couple of years ago was untouchable, what happened since I don't know.

Apart from that a player can have good games and bad games, even a few in a row. Doesnt make him a bad player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement