Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wouldn't give up on Ramsey just yet, he has had an injury disrupted season after all. He is frustrating to watch at times at the moment. He seems hell bent on going for a goal and headlessly shooting on sight without really paying attention, when it's not really on and when he should be trying to get it someone else who'd make something of it. Obviously, he's on a mission to get his name in lights. But he has shown in the past that he has quality and maybe a couple of games down the line it could start clicking for him.

Of course, he could also do his hamstring in training tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Honest question if Arsenal were to miss out on top four, would you like to miss out on the Europa also?

I for one wouldn't want to be near it, if wenger goes I think playing once a week to ease a new manager in would be what I'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Honest question if Arsenal were to miss out on top four, would you like to miss out on the Europa also?

I for one wouldn't want to be near it, if wenger goes I think playing once a week to ease a new manager in would be what I'd want.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be in the Europa, prefer to miss out on that. I still think we will get top 4 as I don't think there are 4 teams better than us in the league and Wenger always seems to do enough to get the club there.

I really do hope that this is Wengers last season, he's been here 20 years now and it's time for a change. I don't expect Ozil and Sanchez to sign new deals as I think they will be offered more money elsewhere unfortunately. It would be great if Kroenke followed them out the door as well the leech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

My spurs mate only said that to me earlier. He said best thing would be to finish outside Europe altogether, get in new manager and build from scratch... I couldn't agree more.

What's the CL to arsenal anyways only a cash cow. It's something we won't get near winning under wenger. What's it to me if we miss it for a year.

In your hypothetical situation, the new manager wont be a proven one, they will struggle to attract any decent new players, and most of our better players will want to be out the door. Lovely way to be eased in :D

x PyRo wrote: »
    Good luck to 15-stone Giroud trying to match the mobility/work-rate of Sanchez. It's just not physically possible.

Can't see what your argument is coming from - granted, Grioud's a donkey at times (to be expected given his size), but there's literally no fault in his attitude or work-ethic and it shouldn't be questioned. He puts it all in and it's not his fault he lacks the ability of a genuine world-class striker. However, he ain't far off...

On another note, who was the person bombing back and ended up in the CB's position when Gosling put his shot wide after we were countered at 3-2 down? Giroud.

OG12 does trojan work holding up play and being physical with defenders, esp as a one man striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Ramsey might need a change of scenery. A Modric - Ramsey - Kroos midfield looks tasty and would do serious damage. 50 million would be a win for all three parties.

50 million, Ozil would probably just about hit 50 million never mind Ramsey ffs.
    mansize wrote: »
    OG12 does trojan work holding up play and being physical with defenders, esp as a one man striker

In reality he's second to almost every ball, got very lucky with his first assist, lucky again with his goal. Yeah he's a big lad, well able to shoulder someone but he's not a quick mover and doesn't suit a quick passing game. He's effective in the last 30 mins when the defenders are tired but slows the team down overall and disrupts the passing rhythm this team should have, despite his good hold up play. And spare me this OG12 ****e he doesn't even refer to himself that way? What's next CJ25?

Thoughts as follows:

Cech - Really showing his age at this stage. Thought he'd have serious longevity but my god I'm nervous every shot that goes his way, really struggles to get to a ball cleanly or react in any timely fashion. When was the last time he saved a penalty? Second time Wilson put him the wrong way this season I think? Give Ospina a shot ffs. 4/10

Bellerin - Less said about it the better. Way off for first goal, contributed little offensively. Crossing was ****e 3/10

Mustafi - Communication poor between himself and Kos throughout game. Showed well for ball in second half 5/10

Kos - Communication poor again. Should be commanded the defence, instead allowed Giroud to be the last man back when Gosling almost scored 5/10

Monreal - Average, let a few BMouth players by him but made good runs and crosses going forward 6/10

Xhaka - Must be the 3rd goal now he's directly responsible for? Corner taking was beyond brutal as well **** me must have been 4 in a row came to the feet of the first BMouth defender. An assist for a lucky goal does **** all to redeem him. 3/10

Ramsey - Way off the pace as is becoming his trademark. Needs to learn how to shoot from just inside the box like 13/14 again. 4/10

Ox - As usual getting abuse in here but ran a lot, showed for the ball, made runs and his corners were far superior to Xhaka's. 6/10

Iwobi - Some good, some bad. A lot of great passes, a lot of wasted chances. Gets himself in great spots but either afraid to shoot or a weak effort most of the time. 6/10

Sanchez - Slow to start but in reality team only started firing when he did. Ran all over the field looking for the ball to start attacks, showed real desire, shame about most of the quality around him. Frustrated in the last game despite a win, clear frustration at half time. Be mad to resign if money isn't his prime concern. 7.5/10

Giroud - Might as well not have been there in the first half, slow to every ball, missed a few headed chances against cherry defenders he was towering over. Came alive in the second half with one good assist and another unintended. Good header for his goal but to celebrate so audaciously with the game still in play was stupid. 7/10

Perez - Made great runs, fantastic goal. Looked a threat as soon as he came on. Have to wonder what the man has to do to get a start. 7.5/10

I've real criticisms of Wenger for starting Girioud against a team that was always going to press us high and that we could have easily opened up with a quick offence but because he got a goal and 2 assists I guess its vindicated in most people eyes here (not mine).

Would love to see Sanchez, Ozil and Perez get a league game together over the next couple we have. Perez's runs and timing remind me of Freddie back in the day. Show's up in the right places over and over again.

Getting prissy about how I refer to Arsenal players?

Back on Arsenal.co.uk chat rooms in the 90s that's how players were always referred- so I often use the abbreviation in real time

PC33 - 3
    HB24 - 3
    SM20 - 5
    LK6 - 6
    NM18 - 6
    GX29 - 2
    AR8 - 3
    AOC15 - 6
    AI17 - 6
    AS7 - 6
    OG12 - 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PC33 - 3
    HB24 - 3
    SM20 - 5
    LK6 - 6
    NM18 - 6
    GX29 - 2
    AR8 - 3
    AOC15 - 6
    AI17 - 6
    AS7 - 6
    OG12 - 7

Makes my head hurt!

Reads like a shopping list of fertilizer.

Didn't realise it was that tricky.

It's a long standing abbreviation on Arsenal.co.uk

DB10 is always Bergkamp

Basil3 wrote: »
    In your hypothetical situation, the new manager wont be a proven one, they will struggle to attract any decent new players, and most of our better players will want to be out the door. Lovely way to be eased in :D

Who said it won't be a proven one, and even if it's not and players go atleast the players who do stay or come in will actually want to play for Arsenal, would rather an average squad with great attitude than a quality squad with a terrible one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

PC33 - 3
    HB24 - 3
    SM20 - 5
    LK6 - 6
    NM18 - 6
    GX29 - 2
    AR8 - 3
    AOC15 - 6
    AI17 - 6
    AS7 - 6
    OG12 - 7
    What is this rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Quazzie wrote: »
    PC33 - 3
    HB24 - 3
    SM20 - 5
    LK6 - 6
    NM18 - 6
    GX29 - 2
    AR8 - 3
    AOC15 - 6
    AI17 - 6
    AS7 - 6
    OG12 - 7
    What is this rubbish?
    Will you please stop quoting this individual, it means I'm put through the torture too. Thanks

Quazzie wrote: »
    What is this rubbish?

It's my ratings for last night chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

So would you not consider Conte and Kloop proven managers? They signed up with no European football at all and seem to be doing OK (perhaps aided by no European football but non the less doing OK).

So would you not consider Conte and Kloop proven managers? They signed up with no European football at all and seem to be doing OK (perhaps aided by no European football but non the less doing OK).

I think Klopp is the only reasonable example of those two. Conte was walking into a team that had won the league a year earlier, and had funds at his disposal. Klopp has done well, but he won't win the league, and that's what everyone here wants.

I just think that if Arsenal did drop so far down the table, they would lose players and would go for a younger, long term manager.

It's all hypothetical anyway, arsenal won't finish outside Europa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

I think Klopp is the only reasonable example of those two. Conte was walking into a team that had won the league a year earlier, and had funds at his disposal. Klopp has done well, but he won't win the league, and that's what everyone here wants.

I just think that if Arsenal did drop so far down the table, they would lose players and would go for a younger, long term manager.

It's all hypothetical anyway, arsenal won't finish outside Europa.

I can feel your pain was much the same for us last season (well orders of magnitude worse in many ways), but I think you may be a little pessimistic. Arsenal are a big club, excellent facilities and they must have a lot of money to spend if only due to TV contracts. With the right manager in place they are right in the mix and the set up is such getting a big name manager is more likely than not.

Getting Wenger to step down may be harder than getting a big name manager - there are not that many really top level managers so it is sort of a decision that needs to be made (at least in the background) early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Arghus wrote: »
    Reads like a shopping list of fertilizer.

Played like a pile of sh*te so see the similarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Will be interesting to see if Wenger shakes it up or remains loyal as always to the underperforming. Perez at this stage deserves a start, as does Ospina. Zero confidence in Cech any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yeah, think Cech needs benching for a while. Ospina hasnt failed on any chance he's got this season so I think its only fair he should be given a shot. Then again look at how Campbell was repeatedly benched last year despite doing alot better than Ox and Walcott who got chance after chance. The Europa league would be more of a hinderance I think, its a novelty for the likes of Southampton and so but for the more experienced European teams, its more of a headache, certainly the rest seems to be helping Chelsea so far.
    Oh and the abbreviated names drive me nuts too, just say Giroud or Bergkamp or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I seen those tweets alright. Unfortunately you're always going to get idiots and especially on Twitter, having a go.

Hes playing non-league football trying to make it so hes going to kill any chance of that with those remarks.

Hes sinced apologised and deleted the tweets and changed his profile too but thats some terrible ****e to put up.

With the press picking up on it, its making it a story and increases the chances of Arter seeing it, some nobody spouting ****e on Twitter is very likely to be skipped over but now its gone national.

Only hope is that individual gets f**ked out of his non-league club for his remarks and costs him a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Coquelin out for "weeks" - so just as we lose Elneny, Coquelin is unavailable too.

There was some talk of getting N'Zonzi from Sevilla. But that was before the injury so I had it down as BS. It still is but at least there's some logic to it now. Even so it won't be happening. Ramsey better up his game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

greendom wrote: »
    Coquelin out for "weeks" - so just as we lose Elneny, Coquelin is unavailable too.

There was some talk of getting N'Zonzi from Sevilla. But that was before the injury so I had it down as BS. It still is but at least there's some logic to it now. Even so it won't be happening. Ramsey better up his game!

Hes been linked with City too after Gundogans injury.

I cant see him leaving though, Sevilla are flying in La Liga and through the K/O stages of the UCL, no need to move unless he wants more money.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I seen those tweets alright. Unfortunately you're always going to get idiots and especially on Twitter, having a go.

Hes playing non-league football trying to make it so hes going to kill any chance of that with those remarks.

Hes sinced apologised and deleted the tweets and changed his profile too but thats some terrible ****e to put up.

With the press picking up on it, its making it a story and increases the chances of Arter seeing it, some nobody spouting ****e on Twitter is very likely to be skipped over but now its gone national.

Only hope is that individual gets f**ked out of his non-league club for his remarks and costs him a living.

What a scummy thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The amount of times that mongo gives the ball away he infuriates me for the most part. 1 great season in how many now, but that seems good enough for Arsenal these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The amount of times that mongo gives the ball away he infuriates me for the most part. 1 great season in how many now, but that seems good enough for Arsenal these days.

Im not going to go on the defensive for Ramsey. But i don't get the way he has become such a lighting rod for all the abuse. yes he was terrible yesterday, but so was Cech, Bellerin, Xhaka.
    He is just back from injury, and he's been played out of position several times, been put in the centre, then back out to the wings etc. When he gets decent run of games he is much better. And as for the argument of one good season.
    Apart from Koscielny/Cazorla/Sanchez and to an extent Ozil - i'd find it hard to find others who have been consistently good season after season

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Are you talking about Sanchez or Ramsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Im not going to go on the defensive for Ramsey. But i don't get the why he has become such a lighting rod for all the abuse. yes he was terrible yesterday, but so was Cech, Bellerin, Xhaka.
    He is just back from injury, and he's been played out of position several times, been put in the centre, then back out to the wings etc. When he gets decent run of games he is much better. And as for the argument of one good season.
    Apart from Koscielny/Cazorla/Sanchez and to an extent Ozil - i'd find it hard to find others who have been consistently good season after season

He is one of the most over rated players to play for us in the last decade. £50 million price tag quoted for him, id chop your hand off for that. This is a player that has only scored 28 goals in 196 Premier Lge appearances which equates to 1 goal in every 7. Most of those goals came in the 13/14 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Stats updated for the last two games. Looks like we are back to where we are comfortable in a top 4 fight.

Player|League Goals|Total Goals|League Assists|Total Assists
    Sanchez|13|15|7|10
    Walcott|8|11|2|2
    Ozil|5|9|3|6
    Giroud|6|8|3|4
    Oxlade Chamberlain|2|6|4|6
    Perez|1|6|0|3
    Iwobi|2|3|3|3
    Xhaka|1|3|1|1
    Cazorla|2|2|2|3
    Koscielny|2|2|0|0
    Own Goal|1|2|0|0
    Chambers|1|1|0|0
    Ramsey|0|0|1|2
    Elneny|0|0|1|2
    Bellerin|0|0|2|2
    Gibbs|0|0|1|2
    Akpom|0|0|0|1
    Monreal|0|0|1|1
    Mustafi|0|0|1|1

Anyone else think Sanchez will put in a transfer request? Do an Henry???

Think its a possibility. I think he is much more likely to go in comparison to Ozil who seems content. Both should move though if they want to win major honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Sanchez was everything last night. He retrieved, carried, created and finished. Sometimes all in the same passage of play. Some pro. He must not be lost.

Also, if you like Arsenal, is it appropriate to root for Spurs tonight?

Sanchez was everything last night. He retrieved, carried, created and finished. Sometimes all in the same passage of play. Some pro. He must not be lost.

Dont see any problem with it to be honest but you will get a few here that forbid it. Think we need a Chelsea win anyways as top 4 is going to be extremely tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dont see any problem with it to be honest but you will get a few here that forbid it. Think we need a Chelsea win anyways as top 4 is going to be extremely tight.

Go away out of THAT! ;)

He doesn't need to put in a transfer request. The power is in his and Ozil hands. If Sanchez doesn't sign a new deal then he will be sold in the summer. So if he wants a move next summer he will get it. If they have to be sold then it better be abroad. Juventus are interested in him apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

A draw will do nicely,few red cards,suspensions all round:D

I'm rooting for Spurs tonight, Chelsea are on a ridiculous winning streak and it needs to end. I hate Spurs and Chelsea equally, but it would be better for the league if Spurs won tonight.

I think a Spurs victory would be the ideal result tonight, but one with plenty of red cards and injuries all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Whatever it takes to try to knock Chelsea off their stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Could never bring myself to shout for Spurs or Chelsea. Sorry.

Is there any way they both can lose?

I concur with the mass brawl/numerous red cards posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I'm finding it really hard to support Tottenham here. For multiple reasons, I've grown to absolutely hate Tottenham over the course of 2016. Chelsea used to be my least favourite team, but with Mourinho gone and a likeable manager in, I feel I don't mind them too much.

Anyways, Spurs win would be best. Wanting a draw is simply a half-measure IMO. And we always finish above Spurs so we shouldn't worry about them ;)

I'm finding it really hard to support Tottenham here. For multiple reasons, I've grown to absolutely hate Tottenham over the course of 2016. Chelsea used to be my least favourite team, but with Mourinho gone and a likeable manager in, I feel I don't mind them too much.

Anyways, Spurs win would be best. Wanting a draw is simply a half-measure IMO. And we always finish above Spurs so we shouldn't worry about them ;)

I'd rather a Chelsea win, league is gone so would rather Chelsea keep beating everyone else and we hopefully keep CL spot

He lost the ball and bit and was petchulent

Come on Chelsea - leagues over

I'd rather a Chelsea win, league is gone so would rather Chelsea keep beating everyone else and we hopefully keep CL spot

Same as

• Advertisement

Spurs win for me. Don't want us to lose another record tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement