Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Job done. Let's move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Giroud with another important goal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Delighted no replay but even more delighted to see Welbeck back, he's the type of player we need in the squad always a great attitude too

He'll do well in the Sanchez and Walcott attack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We got out of jail there in a big way. Dreadful in the first half (again) and probably should have been 3 down.

Perez and Welbeck being back the highlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Preston players not allowed swap their jerseys?

Glad that's over, first half was rubbish. Dunno why we are so slow to get going in games. Giroud gets some stick but he's still popping up with the goods at the right time. Great to see Welbeck back too, if only a few more had his attitude

wonga77 wrote: »

Glad that's over, first half was rubbish. Dunno why we are so slow to get going in games. Giroud gets some stick but he's still popping up with the goods at the right time. Great to see Welbeck back too, if only a few more had his attitude

One word - Arrogance.

One word - Arrogance.

Exactly what it is, players like ox Walcott Ramsey think they're big time, when in fact in footballing terms there's achieved **** all, team needs an overhaul which should start with shipping them off

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Exactly what it is, players like ox Walcott Ramsey think they're big time, when in fact in footballing terms there's achieved **** all, team needs an overhaul which should start with shipping them off

I honestly think part of this arrogance issue is Wenger himself. He either cant motivate the players or his own attitude towards the opposition is reflected in the teams approach. There is a form of snobbery about how he goes about things (We're the better footballing team who stick to a philosophy)

wonga77 wrote: »

Have the Tipp GAA county board taken over Preston? :pac:

I honestly think part of this arrogance issue is Wenger himself. He either cant motivate the players or his own attitude towards the opposition is reflected in the teams approach. There is a form of snobbery about how he goes about things (We're the better footballing team who stick to a philosophy)

Well I think a change of management is due now, but it'll be down to wenger when he decides to go

• Advertisement

Well I think a change of management is due now, but it'll be down to wenger when he decides to go

If he loves the club like he pertains to he should recognise his limitations and step down in the summer regardless of whether we win the cup and/or come fourth or not. It will be another potless season the way we are going.

If he loves the club like he pertains to he should recognise his limitations and step down in the summer regardless of whether we win the cup and/or come fourth or not. It will be another potless season the way we are going.

Agreed, only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lads Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. Absolute imposter. We are absolutely ****€. We dont deserve Sanchez or Ozil. Too good for this club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Lads Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. Absolute imposter. We are absolutely ****€. We dont deserve Sanchez or Ozil. Too good for this club.

I,sadly, cannot argue with anything you've said.
    An absolute dire performance,really hoping things pickup but ill not be holding my breath.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I,sadly, cannot argue with anything you've said.
    An absolute dire performance,really hoping things pickup but ill not be holding my breath.

I have come to the conclusion we are a top side on our day. Sadly that day is 1 in 5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Next few games:

Swansea away - Could be a curveball game but should win

Burnley Home - Win, no excuses. Lets keep a clean sheet for once too
    Watford Home - Same as above

Chelsea Away - Likely to be the season defining fixture. Kos and Mustafi are much better equipped to deal with Costa this season, and with him out of the game Chelsea lack bite, no real plan B either. Can Wenger pull off a rare tactical masterclass again? Unlikely in my opinion but who knows. Coq should be back by then happily.

Then we've Bayern away, get a draw here I suppose?
    10 days then until Southampton, who knows how the table will look then.

Team is looking dire at the minute but here are a few positives:

Sanchez has had a rest, Giroud playing the full 90 has clearly been shown not to work. Think we can expect Sanchez at his best up top again. Giroud to come on at 70 mins to push tired defenders as a plan B.

Ozil, Walcott, Bellerin, Cech and Kos have had a break. Should be coming back with a hunger to win again.

Perez on the wing made some great runs today, clever passing, had a couple of nice shots on target too. Can't see him being dropped.

Ramsey and Xhaka still look dodgey enough together but they've got a few games under the belt now and a week to work together. Clearly more deficient in defence than attack but our next three games shouldn't be against the most vigorous attacks. We've been outplayed tactically in two games by two smart managers in Howe and Grayson, shouldn't happen again. To be honest at the start of the season these would be the two I would be looking to start against the next few teams (Maybe Caz)

Perez and Walcott on the wings means a return of pace, which was massively missed against BMouth in particular. Sanchez, Walcott and Perez making runs for Ozil to play ball into while Monreal and Bellerin do their overlaps. Tasty.

Wenger has a week to tear the team apart and mentally fortify them. Whether he's up to the challenge or not he has the time to do it. ****e few weeks but season isn't over boys.

domrush wrote: »
    great points
    Can I add Welbeck back too...looking forward to him getting more game time.

Add Ramsey and Walcott to the imposter list

• Advertisement

Walcott hasn't even played in about three weeks and he's still got 11 goals and 2 assists from the wing half way through the season. He's also upped his defensive game, not anything to write home about but he's tracking back and winning the odd ball. Noone plays well in every game but I'd say he's far from an imposter he has contributed hugely this season. Happy with his overall performance hope he can recover his early form now he's had some time off. He's got Welbeck, Perez and Ox all competing for his position now which should push him on.

Walcott hasn't even played in about three weeks and he's still got 11 goals and 2 assists from the wing half way through the season. He's also upped his defensive game, not anything to write home about but he's tracking back and winning the odd ball. Noone plays well in every game but I'd say he's far from an imposter he has contributed hugely this season. Happy with his overall performance hope he can recover his early form now he's had some time off. He's got Welbeck, Perez and Ox all competing for his position now which should push him on.

When has Walcott ever recaptured early form though? Always starts well then dies off, one of the most frustrating players to watch

Have to disagree there. Ramseys effort and attitude at the very least cannot be faulted. He tries his utmost.

Walcott i completely agree with.

Walcott disappears when the heat is on. Anonymous at old trafford.

Have to disagree there. Ramseys effort and attitude at the very least cannot be faulted. He tries his utmost.

Walcott i completely agree with.

I'll leave Ramsey on my list, over complicates things and is over indulgent. The chance he had tonight is a prime example,had 2 chances to get the shot away but tried to beat 2 players and walk it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I also have no faith that Walcott can maintain a high level of performance for the duration of a season.

• Advertisement

Ah but I thought Ramseys goal was lovely tonight...
    but eveything you said about him is true,Fixit,
    but hes one id keep.
    Walcott im lost on at this stage,hes having a good season but still looks no better than before(much like the club itself).

I'll leave Ramsey on my list, over complicates things and is over indulgent. The chance he had tonight is a prime example,had 2 chances to get the shot away but tried to beat 2 players and walk it in

Well i agree with the fact he tends to go for these blind flicks fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soups123 wrote: »
    Delighted no replay but even more delighted to see Welbeck back, he's the type of player we need in the squad always a great attitude too

He'll do well in the Sanchez and Walcott attack

Stayed away from results until MOTD.

As soon as they showed Wellbz was on, I knew it was in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Goal scoring run coming up lads. Buckle up and enjoy the best midfielder in the league!

2017-01-07T184846Z_126816526_MT1ACI14721318_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-PNE-ARS.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Goal scoring run coming up lads. Buckle up and enjoy the best midfielder in the league!

Well, in fairness to him, I'd expect nothing less. He's got all the celebrity deaths in 2016 to catch up on, he'll be banging them in like mad!

• Advertisement

2017-01-07T184846Z_126816526_MT1ACI14721318_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-PNE-ARS.jpg

Not even the best midfielder at the club :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Asked this the other night but it got lost in another conversation:

What if it's the case that Ozil and Sanchez have agreed wages but will only sign if Wenger stays (as was rumoured before and inferred again today)?

farna_boy wrote: »

What if it's the case that Ozil and Sanchez have agreed wages but will only sign if Wenger stays (as was rumoured before and inferred again today)?

But if they leave they will play under another coach anyway

If they are serious about winning trophies they'd be better to do what Van Persie, Fabregas, et al, did and leave.

Wenger is a legend and I still think he is a great manager. Its just he hasnt got the players he once had at his disposal. His major downfall is that he is not ruthless enough towards players who consistently let him down.

Ps I have just realised this has actually nothing got to do with the question you asked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Can't believe the amount of grief Ramsey gets on here
    He runs his arse off meanwhile xhaka gets plaudits for walking around with a few nice passes now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Wenger is a legend and I still think he is a great manager. Its just he hasnt got the players he once had at his disposal. His major downfall is that he is not ruthless enough towards players who consistently let him down.

If a joke of a manager like Brendan Rogers can get Liverpool to within a (hilarious) Steven Gerard slip on the back of having Suarez and Gerard then it should be possible for Wenger to have Arsenal genuinely compete for the title with players like Sanchez and Ozil backed up by very good players like Koscielney, Bellerin, Xaka and more.

smilerf wrote: »
    He runs his arse off meanwhile xhaka gets plaudits for walking around with a few nice passes now and again

Tends to overplay it from time to time as Fixitfelix rightly pointed out but no way should he be made the scapegoat for our shíte run. In fact Ramsey is arguably one of the few lads that puts his hand up and gets stuck in.

I would hope that Xhaka will eventually come good but thus far he is struggling with the pace of the English game most of the time. Alot of silly bookings

I also think he has seriously cut down on the blind flicks etc he used to do. He's clearly been reading boards.ie and responded accordingly.

Hard to know. If they committed to 4 year contracts I could live with a year extension for Wenger if there was a definite exit strategy, wouldn't be best pleased but the devil you know rather than the devil you don't (the devil you don't being going into a new season with neither of them but a new manager).

As far as I know their contracts both expire the Summer of 2018 which means we'd have to sell them this summer to get any cash out of em.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I also think he has seriously cut down on the blind flicks etc he used to do. He's clearly been reading boards.ie and responded accordingly.

Fair play to him if he has. Its about time someone in professional football is finally listening to us :pac:

• Advertisement

We could manage Hull to the title I'd say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

If a joke of a manager like Brendan Rogers can get Liverpool to within a (hilarious) Steven Gerard slip on the back of having Suarez and Gerard then it should be possible for Wenger to have Arsenal genuinely compete for the title with players like Sanchez and Ozil backed up by very good players like Koscielney, Bellerin, Xaka and more.

Just curious as to why he's a joke of a manager? Had a decent few months at Watford, a dodgy few months at Reading, got Swansea promoted and then kept them up, and then he almost won the league with Liverpool. We all know Celtic are in a one team league but even their results have been pretty impressive under him.

Just curious as to why he's a joke of a manager? Had a decent few months at Watford, a dodgy few months at Reading, got Swansea promoted and then kept them up, and then he almost won the league with Liverpool. We all know Celtic are in a one team league but even their results have been pretty impressive under him.

Celtic could beat every team in the league 10-0 and I still wouldn't be impressed, absolute dog ****e league. Never liked Rodgers think he believed his own hype when pool nearly won the league,which Suarez was the main catalyst for. Lost him and team went to **** showing Rodgers for what he was, bang average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Because Xhaka has only signed a couple of months and it takes him a while to settle he had the same problems when he 1st signed for Monchengladbach but when it clicked he was awesome and made captain

Ramsey on the other hand has had one great period not even season for Arsenal and has never kicked on from that , has also had similar injury problems as Wilshire yet Wilshire gets ****ed off to Bournemouth where he is doing well while Ramsey continues to flounder and try flicks and stupid things

Supposedly a bud for boletti from Torino was rejected? Well according to edds anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So Ramsey runs around, arguably out of position, misplacing passes left right and centre and we should applaud? No, he's been poor this season, although I do hope that changes with the goal yesterday. Xhaka hasn't been fantastic yet but lazy isn't what I'd call him, just a bit slow and immobile. Needs a runner alongside him.

So Ramsey runs around, arguably out of position, misplacing passes left right and centre and we should applaud? No, he's been poor this season, although I do hope that changes with the goal yesterday. Xhaka hasn't been fantastic yet but lazy isn't what I'd call him, just a bit slow and immobile. Needs a runner alongside him.

In reality Ramsey has 91% pass completion in the Premier League this season, equal with Santi and higher than all our other midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I never know quite what to say about Ramsey anymore. My posting history regarding him is pretty funny to read.

I was adamant, several years ago, that he was a bang average player that wasn't good enough for Arsenal and thought that his injury shrouded peoples judgement on how good he was and what is to be expected of a player at this level. Simply put, he wasn't good enough and shouldn't start. Some agreed, most didn't.

Then he hit that magic purple patch. Scored loads of goals, looked great. I started to doubt my opinion, admitted I was wrong in a thread about "Things in football we were wrong about" and that perhaps he was just way better than I thought. Thats why they coach at the highest level and I coach at the lowest, what do I know, etc.

Following on from that spell he has been, in my opinion, mediocre at best. But I'm always a little wary to say that now. I was "wrong" before and I do worry people will take umbrage when I point out he was sh*t in the recent games.

So in my own head, the question remains. Is Ramsey a great player who goes through patches of poor form.....or is he an average player who hit one purple patch? Lord knows the league is full of the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »

In reality Ramsey has 91% pass completion in the Premier League this season, equal with Santi and higher than all our other midfielders.
    In fairness, I could have a 91% pass completion rate if I just passed backwards and sideways all the time. Stats don't really tell the full story. I think whatever spark of creativity he had is lost, and he's trying desperately to find it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    In fairness, I could have a 91% pass completion rate if I just passed backwards and sideways all the time. Stats don't really tell the full story. I think whatever spark of creativity he had is lost, and he's trying desperately to find it!

The goal on Saturday was a good place to start. Fine strike !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement