Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I've been thinking about this for a while and I think if we want to push on to the next level, we would need a player that would be in the top say 10 in the world at that position, in every position in our first 11 and our subs should all be in the top 20, assuming each player (1st team and bench) are playing to the best of their ability on any given day.

For example, Ozil would be in the top 10 in the world for the number 10 spot so would qualify. Bellerin would probably be in the top 10 in the world at right back, Kos would probably qualify and so would Sanchez at LW.

An argument could possibly be made for Monreal or Cazorla but both would probably at least make the bench along with Giroud. It's probably too early for the likes of Mustafi, Xhaka or Elneny but they could possibly make the top 20 and so would also qualify for the bench. An argument could also be made for Ospina to make the top 10 but I'm not so sure about Cech anymore but would he probably make the bench.

I'm not sure about Coquelin, Iwobi, Gabriel, Welcbeck, Holding or Perez but I think they have a chance of meeting the requirements for the bench.

Gibbs is probably top 20 but Ramsey is dodgy. Ramsey on his best days could possibly push for top 10 but we haven't seen it in so long I'm not sure we will see it again

I don't think we have anyone at RW that would qualify for top 10, possibly even not top 20 although Walcott on his best day might make top 20 but I don't think Ox would, even though he shows glimpses every so often.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

As possibly the last word on Giroud's celebration, this is a good article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/arsenal/aidan-ohara-only-arsenal-could-come-back-from-brink-of-defeat-then-get-criticised-for-celebrating-35351060.html

"The change of celebration tack may have been a time-wasting master-stroke from Giroud given that it took Preston a full 20 seconds longer to tip off from his goal on Saturday than it did Bournemouth from his equaliser last Tuesday.

In fact, Bournemouth re-started faster from Arsenal's third goal than they did from either of the other two (43 seconds, compared to 45 and 49 for the first two goals) which might be the most pointless statistic that has ever been written but given that Arsenal have more nonsense written about them per square column inch than anyone, it can just be thrown onto the pile."

"It's unlikely there's another club in the Premier League who could fight back from 3-0 down with 20 minutes remaining away from home against a well-regarded opponent and find themselves criticised for not getting the ball back quickly enough to win 4-3"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Godge wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/arsenal/aidan-ohara-only-arsenal-could-come-back-from-brink-of-defeat-then-get-criticised-for-celebrating-35351060.html

"The change of celebration tack may have been a time-wasting master-stroke from Giroud given that it took Preston a full 20 seconds longer to tip off from his goal on Saturday than it did Bournemouth from his equaliser last Tuesday.

In fact, Bournemouth re-started faster from Arsenal's third goal than they did from either of the other two (43 seconds, compared to 45 and 49 for the first two goals) which might be the most pointless statistic that has ever been written but given that Arsenal have more nonsense written about them per square column inch than anyone, it can just be thrown onto the pile."

"It's unlikely there's another club in the Premier League who could fight back from 3-0 down with 20 minutes remaining away from home against a well-regarded opponent and find themselves criticised for not getting the ball back quickly enough to win 4-3"

Brilliant - so much nonsense spouted about that celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    Godge wrote: »

Brilliant - so much nonsense spouted about that celebration.
    In your opinion it was nonsense. Not in mine

emmetlego wrote: »
    In your opinion it was nonsense. Not in mine

your criticism was more about his attitude in general play than the celebration itself. I still think you're wrong but I don't think the article was disagreeing with your point.

I think you're wrong about that too btw. Similar to Ozil he has his own way of comporting himself on the pitch that doesn't match the norm.

I don't think anyone who has scored as many vital last minute goals as he as could be accused of having a poor attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Basil3 wrote: »
    In reality Ramsey has 91% pass completion in the Premier League this season, equal with Santi and higher than all our other midfielders.

I remember Leon Britton used to post better pass completion stats than Xavi. Ramsey's not been great this season and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/13

Seems Elneny is our best passer, Xhaka has much higher stats then I thought, only marginally behind Ramsey with an awful lot more played. Not surprising to see Sanchez way down the list of accurate passers, he does seem to give it away alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think a large part of the problem nowadays is that the Clubs and players are too much under the microscope. Every little thing they do is analysed and talked about. Sky, BT and all the Internet of things have space to fill and every little none story gets air time.

I'm detaching myself from the hype behind it all. I love watching the games and I take the games for what they are meant to be, 2hrs hours once or twice a week where I can enjoy a football game. For the two hours I'm hooked but beyond that I just forget about it (atleast I try my best too).

EDIT: Dunno where that came from tbf.

greendom wrote: »
    The goal on Saturday was a good place to start. Fine strike !

I'd love to see the stats for that baby. Shots on goal: 235, goals scored: 1 or something like that. :D

Look, I'm just very frustrated with the team at the moment, and I'm not buying into the hype attached to some of our players, like Ramsey, Walcott and Ox, most likely because they're English/home grown, and the English media love them. I just don't see it. In fact, the staleness of these players is like a rinse and repeat thing. They show some form, then sink back into mediocrity, or even plain sh1teness.

Also, regarding Giroud and the celebration, I accept that some players react differently when in the situation. I was one of those players that grabbed the ball and tried to win the game, while my team mates went off on victory lap. Used to boil my blood.

I suppose the internet is a magnet for opinions, and not all will agree, so it's hardly the end of the world. I'll move on.

I remember Leon Britton used to post better pass completion stats than Xavi. Ramsey's not been great this season and you know it.

I wasn't saying that Ramsey has been playing well, he's been average. He hasn't been misplacing passes left right and centre, though.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that Ramsey has been playing well, he's been average. He hasn't been misplacing passes left right and centre, though.

Ramsey has spent a lot of this season injured. It seems that it takes him a while to get back up to speed when he returns from injury.

He has only started 7 games this season and the Preston game was only his second since his latest lay-off. Hopefully he'll get a run of games now with Coquelin and Elneny out and we can get the old Aaron back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

At the start of the season I envisaged Coq W/ Santi for big games and Xhaka W/Santi or Ramsey for games we should be dominating. I think Wenger prob hopes that Ramsey and Xhaka will be the eventual duo. Don't think Coq and Xhaka would have enough going forward a lot of the time Unsure on how Elneny fits. Although I have been surprised at Coq's offensive moves this season .

Norwich/Southampton next in 4th round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bloody Southampton again :(

piece of piss, 12-0

Are we home or away?

Are we home or away?
    Away. Tough draw and while our main competitors at the top will be able to rest players we will have to field a strong 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Just pray for a Norwich win in the replay. Wouldn't fancy us to get a result away at St.Marys with a weakened team.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Just pray for a Norwich win in the replay. Wouldn't fancy us to get a result away at St.Marys with a weakened team.
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Dunno what it is but Forster always seems to have the game of his life against us...then returns to so-so in his next game. Yes Norwich would definitely be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Just reading an article on him there, a real signing from nowhere and he seems to be pretty shocked about it too. Can do 100 metres in about the 11 or so seconds so it looks like we have another speedster on the books.
    Credits Brian McDermott with the transfer, didnt even know he was a scout for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Reminds me of a young ashley cole :) throws in some decent crosses ... pity he didnt have a Giroud on the end of them :D

So with Roma looking to seal the deal on a permanent move for Scezney, should we accept the (reported) 16 million sterling? Or with the agreed dip in form this season of Cech, should we take him back and let them fight it out for number 1?

Also, Per being linked outwards on loan. Good or bad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So with Roma looking to seal the deal on a permanent move for Scezney, should we accept the (reported) 16 million sterling? Or with the agreed dip in form this season of Cech, should we take him back and let them fight it out for number 1?

As much as I like his passion, Scezney should go. Long term, I see Ospina as number one, even from later this season/next season.

Per has lost his position, Mustafi has a nailed on place if he's fit, and Per isn't able to compete at the level Arsenal require, so a loan out is good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a young ashley cole :) throws in some decent crosses ... pity he didnt have a Giroud on the end of them :D

A fullback that can cross a ball??
    Amazing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tough to say. Cech seems to have become decidedly more wobbly over the last few months and you'd imagine that there's a chance that could become a bigger and bigger issue going forward. How has Scezney done generally since going out on loan? He has it in him to be a top quality goalkeeper, but I wonder is he too much of a headbanger to ever live up to his potential. On the face of it - 16 million doesn't seem too bad I would have thought.

Have to say I'm surprised that Mertesacker is possibly being let go on loan. He seems pretty far from the first eleven right now but you never know. One thing is for certain - You can never have enough Centre Backs at Arsenal to cover all the eventualities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Arghus wrote: »
    He has it in him to be a top quality goalkeeper, but I wonder is he too much of a headbanger to ever live up to his potential. !

Ah remember the days of the bold Jens,proper headbanger he was.
    I thought it was a requirement,that keepers should be a bit nuts .
    16m is tempting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Ah remember the days of the bold Jens,proper headbanger he was.
    I thought it was a requirement,that keepers should be a bit nuts .
    16m is tempting though.

The thing about Jens was you felt he'd earned the right to be a headbanger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Great laugh all his antics and carry on,it didn't seem to distract from his own game.
    Chez on the other hand,imo,loses focus easily,though admittedly I've no idea how he's getting on in Italy.
    I did hear a rumour about interest in the Sunderland goalie,Pickford,as in sign in this window and loan back until the end of the season.

By all accounts (haven't seen him) Scez has been in fantastic form over the last couple of months. That's why I think the asking price is so high... I do think we're seeing the demise of Cech, so maybe Arsene will recall him and let him and Ospina fight it out!

Truth is, I haven't a f*****g clue. But then you all knew that already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

The young Martinez lad is meant to be very good too, needs another loan spell I'd say. Did he play for us in the League Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Used to have a Jens tshirt. Somehow lost it.

Such a shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arsenal Trio Sign New Deals

Oh BBC, you trolled me good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Those are 3 pretty good deals to have locked up. If Ozil and Sanchez stays we have a pretty good base

• Advertisement

Especially delighted with Kos. He is a huge part of our team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah I'm not complaining but when I saw the headline I thought at least one of Ozil or Sanchez would be in there. Oh well it could be worse, one of those deals could have been for Wenger :pac:

Pleased with that, they all deserve them too. Id say Kos will finish out his career with us. At 31 years old he wont be getting too many more chances to go and while Giroud has his critics, we would be far further down the table only for him.
    Just need Ozil and Sanchez to pull the finger out now.
    Its amazing how quiet the thread is these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

As well as Ozil and Sanchez, that leaves Ox, Wilshere and Gibbs with 18 months left, doesn't it?

Cazorla and Mertesacker have six months left, but is there anyone else whose deal is running out?

I see Payet trying to force his way out of west ham. Could be an interesting addition if he can be bothered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Especially delighted with Kos. He is a huge part of our team!

Absolutely. All three are good news, but him especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I see Payet trying to force his way out of west ham. Could be an interesting addition if he can be bothered

Exactly the type of player we need out wide. Could get him on the cheap too.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Exactly the type of player we need out wide. Could get him on the cheap too.

Yeah but his attitude stinks and not sure we need another one of those around the club. Looks like he wants to go back to Marseille anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Dont want Payet, not at all convinced Wenger could get the best out of him with his attitude.

I'd be wary of signing a player who resorts to throwing toys out of the pram so easily.

Delighted on the 3 contract extensions. All vital players for us.

They got me too.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Per has lost his position, Mustafi has a nailed on place if he's fit, and Per isn't able to compete at the level Arsenal require, so a loan out is good for him.

Yeah, he was always on the way out as soon as he was made club captain.

The curse of the captaincy! We should make sanogo captain now!

If

Sick of Ifs. We want is

is bothered
    is committed
    is on fire
    is adding value
    is hungry
    is a leader
    is aware he is playing for an institution which has long preceded him and will be there when he is long long gone

Too many tossers at the club at present and a man who is showing blind loyalty to them. No to Payet. Let him be someone elses problem. This is exactly why he wasnt snapped up earlier. Because he has Yann M'Vila disease

If

Sick of Ifs. We want is

is bothered
    is committed
    is on fire
    is adding value
    is hungry
    is a leader
    is aware he is playing for an institution which has long preceded him and will be there when he is long long gone

Too many tossers at the club at present and a man who is showing blind loyalty to them. No to Payet. Let him be someone elses problem. This is exactly why he wasnt snapped up earlier. Because he has Yann M'Vila disease

Welcome to modern football.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement