Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

2nd in the league. Great weekend results-wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We really needed those points after everyone else drawing this weekend.

Still need chelsea to slip up which I just cant see happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Drexel wrote: »
    We really needed those points after everyone else drawing this weekend.

Still need chelsea to slip up which I just cant see happening

Chelsea won't be caught

Take the 3 but Jesus that was woeful. The rot is deep and pervasive.

Today also shows the limitations of stats, e.g. the goalkeeper discussion the other day. How many shots did Cech save today? Inside the box, outside, all woeful. Saving the penalty isn't "expected" so won't count agaisnt him either.

Welbeck's cameo showed what can be expected from him, looks like he doesn't know how to dribble a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

mansize wrote: »
    It was high and reckless

What I'm saying is it means **** all whether he was high or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Take the 3 but Jesus that was woeful. The rot is deep and pervasive.

Today also shows the limitations of stats, e.g. the goalkeeper discussion the other day. How many shots did Cech save today? Inside the box, outside, all woeful. Saving the penalty isn't "expected" so won't count agaisnt him either.

Welbeck's cameo showed what can be expected from him, looks like he doesn't know how to dribble a ball.

The rot is deep and pervasive on this thread.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I really hope you didn't leave with 10 to go

Missing that flight. Get the next one for €100 just go straight to airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

2nd in the league. Great weekend results-wise

Let's wait and see, it's really Chelsea we need to start dropping points. Spurs are Spurs, and Liverpool are playing above themselves. These will always drop points here or there. Chelsea don't look like they will drop many.

greendom wrote: »

Criticism of Welback is laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Glad for the 3 pts today,considering other results..
    Nice to play ****e and grind out a win.

• Advertisement

Missing that flight. Get the next one for €100 just go straight to airport.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

Good one. Really in-depth and well-explained rebuttal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Glad for the 3 pts today,considering other results..
    Nice to play ****e and grind out a win.

Don't think we where ****e, they weren't in it up until the sending off that and our inability to finish anything, we deserved the win, just the manner in which it came will have people thinking otherwise

Also it's great looking at all the other fans delighted as us looking like only getting a draw only to throw their toys out of the pram when we won it:) great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Don't think we where ****e, they weren't in it up until the sending off that and our inability to finish anything, we deserved the win, just the manner in which it came will have people thinking otherwise

Well ****e is a bit harsh,we didn't play well bit still won....Happy days,no complaints from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not exactly thrilled with the performance but to be fair Burnley never looked like scoring. It was a foul by Coquelin but yer man threw himself to the ground too, although after Sterling yesterday you can understand why players do that.

Good one. Really in-depth and well-explained rebuttal.

That comment seemed to me to be a complete over reaction. Just responded to that.

That comment seemed to me to be a complete over reaction. Just responded to that.

Course yeah. Good lad. Great performance, red card, Ramsey excellent, Danny "The Second Coming" Welbeck resurrected. Just fantastic stuff all around.

Costa easing Chelsea to the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

On balance, I've decided to be pleased with today's result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't no why anyone would moan after a late dramatic win like that

Course yeah. Good lad. Great performance, red card, Ramsey excellent, Danny "The Second Coming" Welbeck resurrected. Just fantastic stuff all around.

It was a poor performance, no doubt, but the extrapolation was unwarranted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know when Santi is back?
    I wonder if we have anymore players injured after today's game. Some of them seemed to have got niggles during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I wonder if we have anymore players injured after today's game. Some of them seemed to have got niggles during the game.

We probably won't see him for the rest of the season. I missed him during today's game. He's so effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We played ****e. But that was the loudest I've ever heard the Emirates after Alexis scored. Made the day trip over so worthwhile.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He's so badly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

gun__1485102595_Alexischip.jpg

Look at the eyes! Nerves of steel. Its dam fecking hard to kick penalties nevermind when your not even looking at the ball...

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Don't want to jinx it, but I've a feeling that will be quite a memorable first game.

How prophetic :)

Although it is Arsenal we are talking about after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Just finished watching it there - great result all things considered.
    Great to see other teams dropping points and Arsenal getting all 3 for a change.

marvin80 wrote: »
    Just finished watching it there - great result all things considered.
    Great to see other teams dropping points and Arsenal getting all 3 for a change.

Hopefully we can actually show up in the big games coming up. Big big opportunities here. Ramsey gets a lot of stick and in fairness he can be frustrating but he doesn't shirk. he looks to get on the ball and has tremendous drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Hopefully we can actually show up in the big games coming up. Big big opportunities here. Ramsey gets a lot of stick and in fairness he can be frustrating but he doesn't shirk. he looks to get on the ball and has tremendous drive.

I thought Ramsey played well today

Ramsey/Coq is our worst CM partnership and we have it now for the next 4 games

• Advertisement

It was a poor performance, no doubt, but the extrapolation was unwarranted

I'm extrapolating from just the one game obviously.

I'm extrapolating from just the one game obviously.

Well its quite remarkable then that a team can sit in the top 4 of a pretty competitive league where they are suffering from deep and pervasive rot. How do they do it?

I thought Ramsey played well today

Ramsey/Coq is our worst CM partnership and we have it now for the next 4 games

I've always said that Ramsey is such a willing player and a workhorse but his decision making is really quite poor. I'd safely say he makes the wrong decision 7 out of 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Just delighted with the win, title challenge still just about on. The next two league matches are massive, Watford and Chelsea. Chelsea have Liverpool away in their next game too. Critical time of the season now.

I also agree that we are missing Santi, but they can't rely on his fitness anymore so the other midfielders have to step up and make that position their own.

I've always said that Ramsey is such a willing player and a workhorse but his decision making is really quite poor. I'd safely say he makes the wrong decision 7 out of 10 times.

I dunno...I think he's become much more measured now. Less fancy flicks, and he will hold onto the ball instead of trying to play some kind of miracle pass. He especially seemed to step up when we were down to 10 men.

He also got into a few really good positions today, but was very unlucky. Twice he was in the same space as Ozil, and Ozil got away the shot instead of him. He was also in a very good position for the header which Giroud tipped away from him.

My main criticism of him is that he will slow play down too much when we could be breaking. I think he'll be fine paired with Coq, as long as Coq doesn't start wandering into the opposition box again.

I also agree that we are missing Santi, but they can't rely on his fitness anymore so the other midfielders have to step up and make that position their own.

Yeah, Santi is in the twilight of his career now, and coming off a long injury. I wouldn't be expecting too much of him.

Well its quite remarkable then that a team can sit in the top 4 of a pretty competitive league where they are suffering from deep and pervasive rot. How do they do it?

It would be nice if we could just seize the initiative every now and then though and make a statement that fourth is simply not good enough and that nothing but the very best is. This is where people are fed up. There appears to be a glass ceiling that frustrates the hell out of everyone. We are much more capable of soaring higher if we would only show some backbone. Not enough leaders on the squad and a culture of weakness when its time to step up and seize the day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

In the words of many a song "you don't know what you had till it's gone" and that is so f*****ng true of Santi Cazorla. Xhaka is the closest I've seen at passing from deep like him, but that fella can't seem to stay on the pitch often enough...

Chelsea are relentless at the moment though, so it's pretty meaningless what we do unless they start to do an Arsenal, which looks unlikely. Maybe we can start a pervasive rot for them! :-)

emmetlego wrote: »
    In the words of many a song "you don't know what you had till it's gone" and that is so f*****ng true of Santi Cazorla. Xhaka is the closest I've seen at passing from deep like him, but that fella can't seem to stay on the pitch often enough...

Chelsea are relentless at the moment though, so it's pretty meaningless what we do unless they start to do an Arsenal, which looks unlikely. Maybe we can start a pervasive rot for them! :-)

Chelsea have been impressive on their run and hammered the two Manchester teams but they suffered 3 defeats to ourselves, Liverpool and Tottenham which gives some hope. Im not convinced they are an unstoppable juggernaut. A fine side no doubt but they have got a good run of poor teams too.

Chelsea are well capable of slipping up but we are every bit as capable of bottling the chance to gain ground and that is the real crux of the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Didn't think we were that bad today lads. Burnley have a well organised defence with a great keeper. If Xhaka hadn't been sent off we'd have won 3-0 I reckon, was a matter of time before we scored again. Giroud had a poor game, we were throwing in a lot of crosses he should have done better there. Crossing from our FBs wasn't great.

Worrying having Coq and Ramsey as the only options for 4 weeks though.

• Advertisement

It would be nice if we could just seize the initiative every now and then though and make a statement that fourth is simply not good enough and that nothing but the very best is. This is where people are fed up. There appears to be a glass ceiling that frustrates the hell out of everyone. We are much more capable of soaring higher if we would only show some backbone. Not enough leaders on the squad and a culture of weakness when its time to step up and seize the day

We haven't finished fourth in over 2 seasons. If we finish 2nd, that would be 2nd back to back!

Could we call Wilshere back I wonder seeing as we have a lack of cover?

I was wondering that

We haven't finished fourth in over 2 seasons. If we finish 2nd, that would be 2nd back to back!

Nobody remembers who was second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Forgot about Wilshere. Jesus we'd really be doing the Cherries over after they just lost Ake last week.

Nobody remembers who was second.

Apparently they just call it fourth...

domrush wrote: »
    Forgot about Wilshere. Jesus we'd really be doing the Cherries over after they just lost Ake last week.

I don't think we can tbf

Don't no why anyone would moan after a late dramatic win like that

Welcome to the arsenal thread... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

That was discussed on arsecast last week, apparently it's a season long loan with no recall mechanism included. Wilshere apparently insisted on this.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement