Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

emmetlego wrote: »
    That was discussed on arsecast last week, apparently it's a season long loan with no recall mechanism included. Wilshere apparently insisted on this.

So we can't cherry pick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Watching OL on BT Lacazette with a brace, 17 for the season now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Ryan Mason in a serious way after that collision early, hopefully he makes full recovery.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ryan-mason-suffers-fractured-skull-9674938

MOTD2 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Ryan Mason in a serious way after that collision early, hopefully he makes full recovery.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ryan-mason-suffers-fractured-skull-9674938

I don't believe the Mirror (rubbish paper) should be printing that he's fighting for his life. Other news agencies saying he's stable.

I don't believe the Mirror (rubbish paper) should be printing that he's fighting for his life. Other news agencies saying he's stable.

Yeah that's why I didn't repeat that part, but still must have been serious, and how easily it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Red top rags are as believable as Trump's PR team! I sincerely hope it's not true, but you could hear the crack of heads on the TV camera, that's not a good sign. so I'd imagine there's at least a skull fracture.

I've watched Xhaka's red several times. Yellow at best. If it was any other player I'd say Arsenal would appeal, but the card count is adding up now. I'd say there will be disciplinary action internally. Yes, it was a dubious red, but he's putting himself in the position, giving the referee's a decision to make. He just can't afford to do that any more. he's no use to the team sitting in the stands.

Jeez i hope the lad is alright. Tidy little player. Puts all the fans pettiness into perspective.

EDIT: Confirmed on MOTD2 now.

Statement from Hull on MOTD is that it's a skull fracture, he's had surgery and is now stable but will remain hospitalised for the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hope he's okay. Looked like a bad hit in real time.

Do we reckon its time to return to Sanchez up front against Watford? When is Walcott due back?

Also anyone got stats for Cech's penalty saves for Arsenal? We ship so many and seem to save none? Had a good game otherwise though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't think he's ever saved one, and has faced quite a few at this stage. You'd never hold it against a keeper for conceding from the penalty spot but you'd expect them to save the odd one at least, maybe 1 in 5 or so.

I just had a look and he'd conceded 7 in the league as of mid December. There's been Bournemouth and now Burnley since then, so he's saved 0/9 now? That's pretty poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I don't think he's ever saved one, and has faced quite a few at this stage. You'd never hold it against a keeper for conceding from the penalty spot but you'd expect them to save the odd one at least, maybe 1 in 5 or so.

I just had a look and he'd conceded 7 in the league as of mid December. There's been Bournemouth and now Burnley since then, so he's saved 0/9 now? That's pretty poor.

Read a stat somewhere,cant remember where:confused: that he hasnt even dived the right way for a peno yet:eek:....id still have him in over Ospina but just barely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It would be much better if the other players stopping giving him stupid penos to face.

domrush wrote: »

Do we reckon its time to return to Sanchez up front against Watford? When is Walcott due back?

Also anyone got stats for Cech's penalty saves for Arsenal? We ship so many and seem to save none? Had a good game otherwise though

Didn't need to know hos stats to know he wouldn't save it, can't remember him saving one for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Haven't improved on any of their metrics below but great to see out a game with so much drama in the end. Didn't get to see live as over the water for a few months and times are just silly. Glad I didn't decide to get up at silly o'clock for it though!

Stat|2016/17|2015/16|Diff
    Corresponding points|47|43|4
    Projected points|75|71|4
    Scored 3 or more|11|9*|2
    Won by 3 or more|5|6*|-1
    Clean sheets|7|18*|-11

*over full season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Arsenal have conceded 4 goals in our last 7 home games. Each one a penalty. It's something Cech should really be working on, bearing in mind the amount we give away !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

greendom wrote: »
    So Arsenal have conceded 4 goals in our last 7 home games. Each one a penalty. It's something Cech should really be working on, bearing in mind the amount we give away !

Stopping them at source would be better. Most of them have been for brainless fouls. Just more cop on would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I see Cech has made it onto the who next bashing list.

He's as good as there is out there with only a handful better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Gotta love the sticking the boot in that Crooks does in his team of the week for every Arsenal player he picks.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38711481

Anyhow was happy with the win yesterday obviously. A roller coaster of emotions after the red card (which shouldn't of been, despite another ridiculous tackle from Xhaka), the stupid peno they were given and scored and then our peno in the 97th minute. Was a much needed 3 points so didn't care how they were gained. Was even more impressive with a lot of the teams around us dropping points. Huge game against Chelsea on the horizon 3 points there is probably asking for too much but it would be huge. Don't see Chelsea dropping many points this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

domrush wrote: »

Penalty saves are luck as you have to guess where to go as the player runs up so I doubt the stats would be any use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

From the "By the Numbers" post on Arseblog:
    1 – Penalties Arsenal conceded last season
    0 – Penalties Petr Cech has saved for Arsenal
    2014 – Last time Petr Cech saved a penalty (October, for Chelsea, in the 6-0 win over NK Maribor)
    28 – Percent of his penalties Cech saved before joining Arsenal (16/57)
    0 – Percent of penalties Cech has saved since joining Arsenal (0/9)
    25 – Percent of penalties Wojciech Szczęsny has saved in his career (12/47)
    33 – Percent of penalties Wojciech Szczesny has saved at Roma (4/12)
    6 – Percent of penalties Ospina has saved in his career (2/32)
    0 – Penalties Ospina has saved for Arsenal (0/3)
    84 – Percent of penalties scored in the Premier League since 1992

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/01/arsenal-2-1-burnley-a-rolling-stone-gathers-no-moss-by-the-numbers/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's a pity Cech hasn't saved a penalty just to get that so called monkey off his back, but for me it's not an issue so long as his general game is up to scratch. Some keepers are just better at penalties than others, but doesn't mean that they are a better keeper. Surprised that Ospina has only saved two penalties in his career though.

Almunia was very good at penalties when he was with us, pity about the rest of his game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gotta love the sticking the boot in that Crooks does in his team of the week for every Arsenal player he picks.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38711481

Anyhow was happy with the win yesterday obviously. A roller coaster of emotions after the red card (which shouldn't of been, despite another ridiculous tackle from Xhaka), the stupid peno they were given and scored and then our peno in the 97th minute. Was a much needed 3 points so didn't care how they were gained. Was even more impressive with a lot of the teams around us dropping points. Huge game against Chelsea on the horizon 3 points there is probably asking for too much but it would be huge. Don't see Chelsea dropping many points this season.

His team of the week is basically "pick players that scored". He's an odious toad, a genuinely creepy man who is definitely in the top 5 of appalling pundits.

Soups123 wrote: »
    I see Cech has made it onto the who next bashing list.

He's as good as there is out there with only a handful better.

Not bashing him just think he's bad at saving penalties, some keepers have a nack for it others don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Not bashing him just think he's bad at saving penalties, some keepers have a nack for it others don't

Yeah I had no faith in him saving it.

Mind you I had no faith in Sanchez scoring. When the graphic showed he had missed 3 out of 4 I had all but given up. Glad i was wrong on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

keano_afc wrote: »
    His team of the week is basically "pick players that scored". He's an odious toad, a generally creepy man who is definitely in the top 5 of appalling pundits.

Couldn't agree more! There are some awful ones out there. It's been great having our matches on Sky for the last few but Jesus if I have to listen to Quinn again any time soon I might just cancel my subscription!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gabriel seems to have turned into a very decent squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Lot of good fortune saving penalties Petr did pretty well one night in Munich 50% record in one match non too shabby. He is still one of the best in the league.

• Advertisement

I think Ospina should be used more in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

so, if Liverpool were to beat Chelsea and we beat Watford next Tuesday, we're 5 points behind with the trip to the bridge on the horizon. realistically I can't see chelsea losing to us at home but what a massive chance it is to get into contention...COYG!!!

BTW: was at the game yesterday...only my second time ever to see them win in all my trips over :eek:

so, if Liverpool were to beat Chelsea and we beat Watford next Tuesday, we're 5 points behind with the trip to the bridge on the horizon. realistically I can't see chelsea losing to us at home but what a massive chance it is to get into contention...COYG!!!

BTW: was at the game yesterday...only my second time ever to see them win in all my trips over :eek:

I watched the game on t.v and commented to my da that it looked like not many had left by about 89 mins(my reason being the place seems to empty out about 5 mins from the end),what was it like,did people stay to the end from your view?

P.S I cant stand fans leaving before the end,dont understand it(bar travel plans like flights etc)

And yeh I think Liverpool could take pts of Chelsea,then up to us to challenge them,I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I watched the game on t.v and commented to my da that it looked like not many had left by about 89 mins(my reason being the place seems to empty out about 5 mins from the end),what was it like,did people stay to the end from your view?

P.S I cant stand fans leaving before the end,dont understand it(bar travel plans like flights etc)

i needed to make it to a flight but no way was i leaving early!!! atmosphere was electric at the end - a bit quiet for the most part before that mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Its the hope that kills ya lads. At the same time I'm cautiously optimistic :pac:

• Advertisement

i needed to make it to a flight but no way was i leaving early!!! atmosphere was electric at the end - a bit quiet for the most part before that mind you!

Ah the aul Highbury Library lives on:D...
    Id say it was spine tingling in added time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can feel the stupid optimism growing in my heart... All it takes is a Liverpool result and an Arsenal win against Watford, then you never know... THEN YOU NEVER KNOW!

But then my brain and - most importantly - my memory of prior events start to whirr to life again.

I fully expect this to be the soundtrack in my head at around two thirty in the afternoon come February 4th-

I just hope that this time I won't be bitter about it. I want to get by on a wry rueful smile that day.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Ah the aul Highbury Library lives on:D...
    Id say it was spine tingling in added time.

At least we know the atmosphere is terrible:), haven't heard the so called anfield roar in a while :) it's more of a murmur these days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's the Watford game thats most likely to dash all our dreams - lol

The 2nd halves against PSG and Swansea was pretty noisy where I was sat

• Advertisement

it was quiet - you could pick up players voices for a time on Sunday through the tv - very unusual. I'm sure the end more than made up for it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I thought it was very quiet during the game until after the first penalty. Apart from the odd chant every couple of mins it stays quiet enough. Not many people left before the end too either, probably because most knew a lot of extra time would be added.
    The Emirates is strange for me, such a large stadium and so little noise most of the time, whereas here at the Basel home games in a stadium half the size, the crowd is many times louder throughout the game

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hyzepher wrote: »
    It's the Watford game thats most likely to dash all our dreams - lol

Yeah, all I ask is a win against Watford so the Chelsea game isn't a damp squib before a ball is even kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Would be good to get close. Chelsea would have more of their tougher games out of the way though and don'k look as likely as the others to slip up against the smaller teams so would still be big favourites

Would be good to get close. Chelsea would have more of their tougher games out of the way though and don'k look as likely as the others to slip up against the smaller teams so would still be big favourites

All we can do is to keep as close to them as possible so if they do slip we're there to capitalise. Hope springs eternal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think I recovered form those masochistic tendencies a few years ago.
    Don't continue to put yourselves through it lads. We won't be winning the league again under Wenger.

Seems innocuous enough. Hopefully he's cleared of it and it's put away, wouldn't like to think we have a racist in our ranks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The article mentions a "stunned witness". Whenever I read that term my credulousness starts to dissipate.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Seems innocuous enough. Hopefully he's cleared of it and it's put away, wouldn't like to think we have a racist in our ranks!

A load of crap I'd say

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement