Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

mansize wrote: »
    the situation, not you.

I know I was only joking

Personally I am sick of him and that annoyance wont change as long as he is in charge.

When he has gone I will change and appreciate him for the good times but right now I think he's doing what's best for him and not the team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I think changing manager as often as Liverpool would be foolhardy

Seems to be working for Chelsea. Five different managers in the last ten years have won trophies there. And conte looks on course to make that six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Soups123 wrote: »
    I know I was only joking

Personally I am sick of him and that annoyance wont change as long as he is in charge.

When he has gone I will change and appreciate him for the good times but right now I think he's doing what's best for him and not the team

I can see why some would be annoyed, but I think he deserves better treatment than he is getting by the fans. The guys I talk to one on one seem to be quite fair to him

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Seems to be working for Chelsea. Five different managers in the last ten years have won trophies there. And conte looks on course to make that six.

Russian Oil Money helps tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I can see why some would be annoyed, but I think he deserves better treatment than he is getting by the fans. The guys I talk to one on one seem to be quite fair to him

But I think the fans have been patient many other clubs would have hounded him out but he continues to be treated with respect.

3 years ago he won the FA Cup and should have left on that high but didnt. The game has changed and he is tactically inept now and that won't change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Certainly does. That and having a winning mentality/mental strentgth in the squad are a great plus.

Certainly does. That and having a winning mentality/mental strentgth in the squad are a great plus.

The swiss flag, now thats a great plus!!! :pac::pac::pac:

But I think the fans have been patient many other clubs would have hounded him out but he continues to be treated with respect.

3 years ago he won the FA Cup and should have left on that high but didnt. The game has changed and he is tactically inept now and that won't change

I think the charge of tactically inept is unfair, we wouldn't be third if he was truly inept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hey everyone is entitled to their opinion, this isn't putin's Russia or Trump's America

Or Arsene's Arsenal.

Or Arsene's Arsenal.

Touche

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Too cocky tonight with a poor starting XI and no leadership in the team or from management.

Of course, it's easy to say that in hindsight. The team we put out should still have been capable of winning.

On the subject of leadership, I was reading recently about Eddie Jones saying how's there's a lack of leadership in the English rugby, and in professional sports in general. It's probably true. How many premier league teams these days have a core of natural born leaders? I don't think it's something that can be taught, unless it's done when a player is young.

I'm of the attitude that he went through the barren years, he should have been allowed a few years to have a crack with the purse strings loosened. I think this is the 4th season now, and although he has built a better team, it's not enough.

I think calling him tactically inept is just a lazy cliche at this stage. We hardly just try to beat teams with pretty football any more, and we will adjust to the opposition. Last night was evidence of this....things weren't working, he made changes to the team and they started trying to bypass the Watford midfield. I still think he's a bit too loyal to certain players, and tries too hard to keep momentum by keeping a winning side the same going into the next match.

In any case, roll on Saturday. Expectations are low, but I hope to see a decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Good Morning Everyone, well, not so good.

I'm neither a Wenger must go type nor am I a Wenger must stay forever no matter what type.

But a team that wants to be a genuine title contender in their own right. Not like a title contender when the stars align and their lucky number comes up. A genuine title contender must under all circumstances put a bottom third team away in a situation like this. A situation where the top team that has an 8 point gap travels to a rival and may drop points, as they did.

I'm not a die hard Arsenal guy since I'm 10 or whatever, but I'm so very disappointed this morning. I really believe this is it in terms of title race. You gotta win there last night to give yourself a chance to narrow the gap to 3 points on Saturday. Whatever happens on Saturday, fair enough, Chelsea are very good, but you cannot mess that game last night up. And a proper contender actually wouldn't.

Not sure I'll bother watching now on Saturday even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We have spent more then Chelsea these past few seasons..

Yup, their investment of 10 billion or whatever meant that they had assets to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Net spend is not a valid argument remember. ;)

:rolleyes:

Net spend is not a valid argument remember. ;)

:rolleyes:

Well as the previous poster pointed out, when you sell your purchased assets and replace them it don't look so bad - so spending 100 million a few seasons ago and replacing them this season looks a lot smaller in net spend, but you still have very valuable players

I'm sure that's what mr rollyeyes meant

Well as the previous poster pointed out, when you sell your purchased assets and replace them it don't look so bad - so spending 100 million a few seasons ago and replacing them this season looks a lot smaller in net spend, but you still have very valuable players

I'm sure that's what mr rollyeyes meant
    I just feel honoured that in a reply to my post, you managed to squeeze in two sentences. That feels like progress.

Who do you feel was at fault last night for the team starting the game slowly last night and not being prepared for what was to happen? Was this same person the cause for the numerous other times it happened this season?

No!!! Still AW's fault!!! Get with the Trump narrative!!! Easy answers ftw
    I never said that. But chose to interpret it in order to take cheap shots.

My arguments are neither pathetic nor snivelling, and your crude misinterpreted statement doesn't back that up
    You only managed to delete one of the posts I was referring to.

You only managed to delete one of the posts I was referring to.

Sure

• Advertisement

I just feel honoured that in a reply to my post, you managed to squeeze in two sentences. That feels like progress.

Who do you feel was at fault last night for the team starting the game slowly last night and not being prepared for what was to happen? Was this same person the cause for the numerous other times it happened this season?

I didn't see the game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The hilarious thing is despite Arsenaling ourselves everyone else dropped points. United will win later and I think City will too but it could have been worse*

*this is in no way a post saying that we still have a shot at the title. We dont.

I didn't see the game
    Hardly the thing a "real fan" would do?

You didn't need to see the game to know that we as a collective team started slow. Who do you contribute this to?

Hardly the thing a "real fan" would do?

You didn't need to see the game to know that we as a collective team started slow. Who do you contribute this to?

A myriad of variables could be at play here, the most obvious being the 3 games in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Mustafi was the only one to play three games in a week.

domrush wrote: »
    Mustafi was the only one to play three games in a week.

That's a big ask of a critical role

That's a big ask of a critical role
    But hardly the reason the whole team were poor for the first half. Do you have any opinion on it?

But hardly the reason the whole team were poor for the first half. Do you have any opinion on it?

I didn't see the first half as explained

I didn't see the first half as explained
    So you have no opinion as to why we started poorly, other than one of our players played three games in a week. Perfect. Explains a LOT.

• Advertisement

So you have no opinion as to why we started poorly, other than one of our players played three games in a week. Perfect. Explains a LOT.

I can't give a reasoned response if I didn't see what happened- that's surely fair and reasonable?

I can't give a reasoned response if I didn't see what happened- that's surely fair and reasonable?
    Have you an opinion on why we are unprepared for matches and have been so slow to start so many times this season (and in previous) based on the games you have seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Arsenal disappoint again. What's new? Wenger in the post match interview looked like he is ready to retire. The same old excuses.

Have you an opinion on why we are unprepared for matches and have been so slow to start so many times this season (and in previous) based on the games you have seen?

I have been disappointed by the attitude of some of the players this season, they should bear responsibility for this, they are grown men

Or course AW should accept some responsibility also but looking on the whole, joint second, still in UCL and FA Cup action I would be satisfied with his performance

Some players I would get rid of in the summer. TW being number one- a fair weather striker who doesn't stand up when needed. We need a better anchor in midfield, Xhaka needs to calm his temperament or he's more harm than use.

Ramsey is disappointing. We need better. Ospina would be my first choice keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

deja vu , boys , deja vu.
    Its been thoroughly enjoyable watching the comments since the season started . 
    It really has been a re-run of the last few seasons.. Ive enjoyed sitting back and just watching it all go by cos I knew nothing had changed either at Arsenal FC or on the forum. It just wasnt worth the effort getting involved.
    Its still a great club, its my club,and the fans club and in some ways I feel Ive regained some of my club back from Wenger and his balance sheet management, by just letting him go by this season and not getting involved in the ridiculous repetitive same old same old. Having supported them since 1972 , Im enjoying  supporting Arsenal Football Club this season whilst also just waiting until he is gone.

deja vu , boys , deja vu.
    Its been thoroughly enjoyable watching the comments since the season started . 
    It really has been a re-run of the last few seasons.. Ive enjoyed sitting back and just watching it all go by cos I knew nothing had changed either at Arsenal FC or on the forum. It just wasnt worth the effort getting involved.
    Its still a great club, its my club,and the fans club and in some ways I feel Ive regained some of my club back from Wenger and his balance sheet management, by just letting him go by this season and not getting involved in the ridiculous repetitive same old same old. Having supported them since 1972 , Im enjoying  supporting Arsenal Football Club this season whilst also just waiting until he is gone.

It's not his Balance Sheet management tbf, it's the board's
    And seeing clubs go to the wall, prudence may not be such a bad thing

Since 1973 I'm sure you've seen much worse from Arsenal on the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Or course AW should accept some responsibility also but looking on the whole, joint second, still in UCL and FA Cup action I would be satisfied with his performance

Yeah sounds alright when you say that, but joint second is useless when we are 9 points off the lead and effectively out of the title race at the start of February. The champions league on the other hand, we will be doing well to be in the tie after the first leg based on our previous ties the last 5 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What's this "joint second" ****e? We're 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

47vrqtf1i5dy.jpg

From Reddit, made almost ten years ago.

domrush wrote: »
    47vrqtf1i5dy.jpg

From Reddit, made almost ten years ago.
    I refuse to believe in that because December ends and January starts at different levels.

/pedant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

What's this "joint second" ****e? We're 3rd.

I like to call it joint 2nd it makes me happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What will it take to finally get rid of Wenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

If he doesn't go himself I'd imagine the board would only review the situation if we had back to back seasons outside the top 4/CL qualification. Seriously, that's how I see it. Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If the players keep putting on performances like last night, he'll be ready to walk himself.

greendom wrote: »
    If the players keep putting on performances like last night, he'll be ready to walk himself.
    Do you just blame the players for last night's performance?

Do you just blame the players for last night's performance?

no it's Wenger's team. He bears the responsibility as the manager. If they continue to put on performances like that he will realise (if he hasn't already) that his time is up. He's is no longer capable of getting the team to play the way he wants them to and that they are capable of. He won't just walk but this season will be his last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

omega man wrote: »
    If he doesn't go himself I'd imagine the board would only review the situation if we had back to back seasons outside the top 4/CL qualification. Seriously, that's how I see it. Depressing.

The more depressing situation will be would any top manager want to come in, if their budget is going to be less than £100M per year?

Ok, the squad is decent enough and could be a good base, but I'm sure any manager will want to make his own changes and we do need a few signings if we want to push on.

farna_boy wrote: »
    The more depressing situation will be would any top manager want to come in, if their budget is going to be less than £100M per year?

Ok, the squad is decent enough and could be a good base, but I'm sure any manager will want to make his own changes and we do need a few signings if we want to push on.

look at the players Pochettino (sp?) has unearthed on that kind of budget. We are a step ahead of them financially so it can be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

as an outsider looking in,its expected of arsenal that ye will do what ye always seem to do,flatter to deceive,sometimes fantastic but guaranteed to implode. i know a few gooners and its them i get this from,my brother is one of them,i txt him slagging last ngt,he just said "meh" ,its what we do.

as some posters have alluded to its kind of bred into ye over the last 15 years or so,only way to change it is to actually change it,not stay the same. i know,so obvious. im a long suffering pool fan and have been praying for a utd demise for 20 years plus,now its arrived i still cant enjoy it as much coz we aint winning the league,as much as i want us to be ahead of ye again i dont want utd getting back into top 4,so id like us above ye and ye above them please :), even just for 5 years.

seriously though,the manager has to go,its beyond a joke at this stage,and i like jokes. spurs will pass us both with new stadium and poch :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »

But Wenger said that the players were " not mentally ready " for the game ??? After more than a week off ??? AND preparing the team is HIS job.

He never blames himself. I actually detest him and hate seeing him on t.v.

But Wenger said that the players were " not mentally ready " for the game ??? After more than a week off ??? AND preparing the team is HIS job.

He never blames himself. I actually detest him and hate seeing him on t.v.

Assuming they do the same pre-match build up before each match, I don't know that Wenger is the difference between when they come firing out of the blocks and when they don't.

It's definitely to do with a lack of leadership core in the squad, but that's a general problem in pro sport that I alluded to earlier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement