Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Assuming they do the same pre-match build up before each match, I don't know that Wenger is the difference between when they come firing out of the blocks and when they don't.

It's definitely to do with a lack of leadership core in the squad, but that's a general problem in pro sport that I alluded to earlier.

What are the consequences for the players after a loss like last night?
    Who is dropped after hiding for 90 minutes?
    What happens as punishment for players making half-hearted attempts to block shots or crosses or turning their backs on shots?

You are right that there is no leadership on the pitch.
    Who's job is it to buy leaders?

What happens as punishment for players making half-hearted attempts to block shots or crosses or turning their backs on shots?

As I said, it's a problem in professional sport. Look at the top 6 teams. Which team has 3 or 4 all out leaders? It just doesn't exist. I think Mustafi tries to lead, and Xhaka was a decent acquisition to add steel to the team.

Who would you say hid last night? Who made the half hearted attempt to block a shot? Who turned their back? Ramsey is the obvious scapegoat, but he's injured anyway and didn't do any of those things.

As I said, it's a problem in professional sport. Look at the top 6 teams. Which team has 3 or 4 all out leaders? It just doesn't exist. I think Mustafi tries to lead, and Xhaka was a decent acquisition to add steel to the team.

Who would you say hid last night? Who made the half hearted attempt to block a shot? Who turned their back? Ramsey is the obvious scapegoat, but he's injured anyway and didn't do any of those things.

I have seen Mert, Gibbs and Ramsey turn their backs in different games.

Ramsey's performance was a disgrace last night. If he's injured then who chose him to play? Surely Wenger picked the team. Luckily for Ramsey he was not the only poor player on the field last night and it will again be forgotten by Wenger.

Never mind deflecting with your "problem in professional sport". It's down to Wenger and most of us know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I have seen Mert, Gibbs and Ramsey turn their backs in different games.

Ramsey's performance was a disgrace last night. If he's injured then who chose him to play? Surely Wenger picked the team. Luckily for Ramsey he was not the only poor player on the field last night and it will again be forgotten by Wenger.

Never mind deflecting with your "problem in professional sport". It's down to Wenger and most of us know that.

What part of having to play Ramsey due to Xhaka's brainless red do you blame on Wenger???

Xhaka has taken more from the team than he's contributed so far

I'm at a loss to see where Cech's extra points came...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

mansize wrote: »
    What part of having to play Ramsey due to Xhaka's brainless red do you blame on Wenger???

I assume he's getting at Ox's superb performance at CM in the cup.

Is it really necessary to post three times in a row as well?

You can't just "buy" leaders tbf.

domrush wrote: »
    I assume he's getting at Ox's superb performance at CM in the cup.

Is it really necessary to post three times in a row as well?

If you have an issue with my posting report it, back seat modding was forbidden I was led to believe.

I don't have Multiquote on m.boards

• Advertisement

He didn't play Ramsey last Sat.
    We won apparently. Shock and awe.

But Wenger said that the players were " not mentally ready " for the game ??? After more than a week off ??? AND preparing the team is HIS job.

He never blames himself. I actually detest him and hate seeing him on t.v.

You detest Wenger??? That's a very strong word. Detest??? Really??? I don't like Donald Trump I don't detest him... I do however detest Mr Putin, for reasons non football related- but giving his good friend Mr Abramovich all that oil kinda is...

Rubbish. Of course you can. Other teams have.

He didn't play Ramsey last Sat.
    We won apparently. Shock and awe.

So he was rested, to play last night. They can't play every game (except Sanchez)

You detest Wenger??? That's a very strong word. Detest??? Really??? I don't like Donald Trump I don't detest him... I do however detest Mr Putin, for reasons non football related- but giving his good friend Mr Abramovich all that oil kinda is...

I do indeed. He's holding back this great club.

Rubbish. Of course you can. Other teams have.

Who has acquired an already established leader then???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Ibra

City bought Yaya Toure a few years ago just to name one. Great leader in the following year.

I do indeed. He's holding back this great club.

Waste of time even explaining to certain people why you might be feeling such an understandable emotion.....but hey, Arsene is great sure only for him we wouldnt be able to field a team to play a match every week even if they are a team of bottle jobs and fraudsters who he insists on keeping around :rolleyes:

domrush wrote: »
    Ibra

I wouldn't consider him a leader. He's very individualistic

What's this "joint second" ****e? We're 3rd.

Funny how you didn't just down someone else's throat when they posted it last night... 🤔🤔🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Funny how you didn't just down someone else's throat when they posted it last night... 🀔🀔🀔

Are you the gay lad that used to post under another username? You dont half stir it up on here, you must post a thousand times a day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Funny how you didn't just down someone else's throat when they posted it last night... 🤔🤔🤔

what :confused:

what :confused:

I wasn't the first to say "joint second" I previously had referred to our position as third

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I wasn't the first to say "joint second" I previously had referred to our position as third

Oh the crimes against humanity :rolleyes:

I didn't even refer to you, stop thinking you're being persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

So thoughts on last night.

The stewards now take umbrellas and give you raffle tickets to collect after the match. Wtf is that about. Same stewards were rushing people in without checking them. So a bomb is fine but oh no way bring in an umbrella.

I am not sure how wet people realised it was. I got soaked walking home.

Monreal, Coq and Gabriel were ****ing atrocious.
    Ramsey, lucky he went off injured he was so rubbish.

Not sure who was making the sub decisions but good to see not waiting for the Wenger 70 minute mark.

This team have no bottle. It is down to Wenger.

Please go. Do us all a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Pudders wrote: »

The stewards now take umbrellas and give you raffle tickets to collect after the match. Wtf is that about. Same stewards were rushing people in without checking them. So a bomb is fine but oh no way bring in an umbrella.

Not sure who was making the sub decisions but good to see not waiting for the Wenger 70 minute mark.

I'd imagine they don't want people putting their umbrellas up and blocking the view of others. You can say people won't and for the most part that's true. But there's always a few ***** who will try and it just starts conflict

Oh the crimes against humanity :rolleyes:

I didn't even refer to you, stop thinking you're being persecuted.

Apologies if you weren't indeed referring to me.

I don't feel persecuted. We're just nobodies posting on a Bulletin board.

It's not Putin's Russia or Syria

Egypt get to the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Pudders wrote: »

I'd imagine they don't want people putting their umbrellas up and blocking the view of others. You can say people won't and for the most part that's true. But there's always a few ***** who will try and it just starts conflict

In the upper deck? You'd want to be a right clown!

Bridge93 wrote: »

Same as the selfie stick ban id imagine. An umbrella can constitute a weapon. The majority suffering over a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Egypt get to the final!

any news on elneny ? will he miss it , badly needed back at our current midfield crisis

pudzey101 wrote: »
    any news on elneny ? will he miss it , badly needed back at our current midfield crisis

Currently injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

pudzey101 wrote: »

Currently injured

Was he an unused sub today for Egypt? Might be on he mend?

L'prof wrote: »
    Was he an unused sub today for Egypt? Might be on he mend?

Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny will not feature tonight due to a calf injury and striker Marwan Mohsen is on the bench because of a knee niggle.

So is the manager meant to train people into leaders if you cant buy them, or do they appear like magic from nowhere?

So is the manager meant to train people into leaders if you cant buy them, or do they appear like magic from nowhere?

Leaders evolve- like Kos

Leaders just don't exist in the modern game like they used to. I don't think you can just buy in a leader, it would have to be someone who has the respect of the other players, and knows the club inside and out. It really has to be someone who is in the club for a long time, who grows into the role.

The All Blacks are a prime example of a team with a core of leaders (although you could say this has been lost in recent years). Players like Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Jerome Kaino, Keiran Read. Players that will call out other players, make sure they're doing what they need to be doing, and punish them if they don't. The coach/manager could step away from the team and he would know that these players are still making sure sh*t gets done.

Maybe that is the biggest problem with Wenger? Because leaders don't exist in the way they used to, the players are more reliant on the manager to lead.....and he's just not that type of guy.

Leaders just don't exist in the modern game like they used to. I don't think you can just buy in a leader, it would have to be someone who has the respect of the other players, and knows the club inside and out. It really has to be someone who is in the club for a long time, who grows into the role.

The All Blacks are a prime example of a team with a core of leaders (although you could say this has been lost in recent years). Players like Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Jerome Kaino, Keiran Read. Players that will call out other players, make sure they're doing what they need to be doing, and punish them if they don't. The coach/manager could step away from the team and he would know that these players are still making sure sh*t gets done.

Maybe that is the biggest problem with Wenger? Because leaders don't exist in the way they used to, the players are more reliant on the manager to lead.....and he's just not that type of guy.
    Will you quit mentioning rugby for feck sake. This is a soccer forum.
    Leaders have always been in the game. They are strong players who know the game and who call out non-triers or players who keep making mistakes.
    The problem with Arsenal, as I see it, is that the Manager is not doing it and therefore current no players want to take it on in case they fall foul of Wenger.
    AND of course you can buy leaders. Other teams have done so.

Your problem is that you are too faithful to someone who is well past his sell by date. We will not win the EPL again under Wenger.

Will you quit mentioning rugby for feck sake. This is a soccer forum.
    Leaders have always been in the game. They are strong players who know the game and who call out non-triers or players who keep making mistakes.
    The problem with Arsenal, as I see it, is that the Manager is not doing it and therefore current no players want to take it on in case they fall foul of Wenger.
    AND of course you can buy leaders. Other teams have done so.

Your problem is that you are too faithful to someone who is well past his sell by date. We will not win the EPL again under Wenger.

Sorry mate, didn't know it's against the rules to mention other sports.

I'm yet to see anyone give decent evidence of teams bringing in leaders, or teams that have a core group of leaders. I'm sure other teams have done it, though.

Thanks for pointing out my problem. It's appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry mate, didn't know it's against the rules to mention other sports.

I'm yet to see anyone give decent evidence of teams bringing in leaders, or teams that have a core group of leaders. I'm sure other teams have done it, though.

Thanks for pointing out my problem. It's appreciated.
    Do you not think leadership should start with the manager?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do you not think leadership should start with the manager?

Yes, leadership should come from the manager. As I said earlier, it's probably more important now than it used to be, because there's less strong leaders in the Premier League in general. I'd say this is one of Wenger's failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what's a leader anyway? how do you define that.

& if no clubs have any leaders, then wouldn't they be unnecessary

batistuta9 wrote: »
    what's a leader anyway? how do you define that.

& if no clubs have any leaders, then wouldn't they be unnecessary

I'd say someone who leads by example, has the respect of their teammates, calls out other players, knows the club in and out. To me, it would be players like Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Giggs, Scholes etc. A dying breed.

For Arsenal, I reckon you have to look further back to when we had a group of strong leaders.

Thought police out in force

Peter O Mahoney is a great leader
    Martin Johnson was a great captain, a bit out of his depth at managerial level

I find people are often far too simplistic when it comes to judging a manager.

I'd say someone who leads by example, has the respect of their teammates, calls out other players, knows the club in and out. To me, it would be players like Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Giggs, Scholes etc. A dying breed.

For Arsenal, I reckon you have to look further back to when we had a group of strong leaders.

Were Lampard and Giggs leaders?

• Advertisement

Were Lampard and Giggs leaders?

I'd say they had huge influence in the dressing room, and were the type of players you could count on when the team were up against it. So yeah, I'd say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i don't know, think it's a bit of BS term that gets thrown around to elevate players more.
    they usually always happen to be the best players in the team - coincidence

what about cech or sanchez, would you consider them leaders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

i don't know, think it's a bit of BS term that gets thrown around to elevate players more.

Sanchez yes, Ozil no.

Again I'd put Sanchez in the same bracket as giggs or Lampard, a lead by example kinda guy but not a team motivator

I would consider Sanchez to petulant to be a leader in the tradional sense

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement