Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

mansize wrote: »
    I was at Murrayfield

What the sh1t are you doing arguing on boards for, about a match you didnt even watch? Turn off the phone, see the sites,have a few pints and enjoy yourself instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

wonga77 wrote: »
    Of course they need to be careful, nobody is saying to go down the dole office and take the first guy there. It was obvious to some a few years ago that Wenger had lost his spark. The team didn't seem to have the same x-factor that they had during our best years. But most people were willing to give him the chance. After all, he has overseen a huge transitional period in the clubs history and deserved a chance to spend some money and try and compete. But, as the seasons go on, the players are rotating and the same frailties are showing

Honestly, the board are the problem. They don't seem to have any interest in pushing on, or it doesn't appear that way from the outside. Top 4 and revenue seem to be their aim. Scandalous ticket pricing is a dead giveaway.
    If they were serious about moving on, then they would have some idea of a replacement for Wenger (Maybe they have but I highly doubt it)

I sincerely hope Wenger calls it a day at the end of the season, we're not going to win anything and I can only hope that he takes a step back and admits to himself that he doesn't have it anymore. Its not an insult, it happens to every great manager at some stage.

Maybe we'll push on, maybe we'll flounder. I think most would be happy to take a chance at this stage

not this manager.........

alex-ferguson-laughing-cropped.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

What the sh1t are you doing arguing on boards for, about a match you didnt even watch? Turn off the phone, see the sites,have a few pints and enjoy yourself instead

I'm in Glasgow airport. You're right tho, I should give this a break

ziggyman17 wrote: »

He knew when the time was right though...

Left a great side and structure behind him, suppose he knew when to jump.

He was an exceptional football manager though

Snap (rhythm is a dancer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

What annoys me more is not the fact that Arsenal lost but that fact that I'm not surprised or bothered by Arsenal losing. And that in itself is down to how rotten the club is at the moment.
    I used to be shouting at the at every tackle and half chance but now I've resigned myself to the fact that Arsenal are bottlers that will let you down constantly until things are changed from the top down.

Maybe if I except we are a 2nd to 4th place team who might beat one of the big boys on a good day I might enjoy it more

Still, were still on for Cardiff 😂😂🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

went out with a league title....... at the young age of 71 years...... the oldest manager to win an English league title..... Wegner was done years ago, out of the last 12 seasons Chelsea have finished higher than Arsenal on 10 occasions, that is shocking, Arsenal seems to be about making as much money as possible for the owners, this seems to be the season when Wegner finally goes, but will the new man be backed with the proper funds to try and win the league or will the board want a man to keep competing for top 4 while spending as little as possible..............

• Advertisement

went out with a league title....... at the young age of 71 years...... the oldest manager to win an English league title..... Wegner was done years ago, out of the last 12 seasons Chelsea have finished higher than Arsenal on 10 occasions, that is shocking, Arsenal seems to be about making as much money as possible for the owners, this seems to be the season when Wegner finally goes, but will the new man be backed with the proper funds to try and win the league or will the board want a man to keep competing for top 4 while spending as little as possible..............

To be fair to the board we have spent a bit of money. Mustafi, Xhaka, Sanchez, and Ozil cost in the region of 145-150m. Then there is Cech who is probably a high earner at the club. I mean can we actually blame this mess on the board?

Is it Kroenke's fault that Aaron Ramsey turned his arse to a ball the other night? Is it Gazidis fault that Theo Walcott wouldnt jump into a dark room?

To be honest its not even Wengers fault but the exception i take with Wenger is his insistence on boll0cks tactics and his loyalty to fraudsters such as Walcott. Walcott is at the club 11 years this January and has scored an average of 10 goals per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

:mad:

Fúckin disgusting. If he signs it thats another 2 seasons wrote off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't give a damn about the Mickey Mouse cups. The 38 game league is the business. That is always the target or should be. I didn't even watch the last Cup Final we were in if I recall correctly. The Cup was demeaned years ago when United were allowed to opt out.

I think we all knew that was coming though. Thats why i blame the board.

Talk about timing...

That was always on the cards and he'll take it too. Probably has already signed.
    A club with no ambition but to make money.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

He was taking to task for that himself by Mertesacker a couple of years ago. More in his line to start showing up in these big games. Another shíte performance from him today. He wasnt alone in fairness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Regardless of which side you are on with regard to AW, the fact is that I'd wager that close to 100% of us here are not surprised by today's performance. It's not as if we are consistency personified!

We have one of the most talented sides available to us in years and they still perform the same way as the kids from a few years back. The problem is not their ability but they way they apply it.

You don't need to look further then Chelsea last year to see that uninterested players make a crap team. Then you need to ask yourself whose job it is to get the best out of players?

Too may of our players were defeated before they set foot on the pitch.

It's the pride that's gone from the club not the footballing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would Allegri be a good manager at Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wenger will be gone soon enough and then I'd expect that Arsenal fans will see what not doing well is really like. He has kept them up there every year and but for huge money coming to new clubs would no doubt have a few more league titles. When he goes there is the real possibility that Arsenal fail to make a Champion's league for a couple of years. We all know how hard it is to keep your best players and get in what's required when you are not in the Champion's league.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Regardless of which side you are on with regard to AW, the fact is that I'd wager that close to 100% of us here are not surprised by today's performance. It's not as if we are consistency personified!

We have one of the most talented sides available to us in years and they still perform the same way as the kids from a few years back. The problem is not their ability but they way they apply it.

You don't need to look further then Chelsea last year to see that uninterested players make a crap team. Then you need to ask yourself whose job it is to get the best out of players?

Too may of our players were defeated before they set foot on the pitch.

It's the pride that's gone from the club not the footballing ability.
    Exactly how I se it.
    It is up to the manager to prepare the team and to set the standard.
    I couldn't give a damn who manages us as long as the team plays with passion and pride. We are not getting that consistently.
    A manager who is putting up with the kind of cowardice and hiding we are seeing regularly should be shown the gate but he won't be shown it. He'll sign a new contract and we'll get the same ineptitude for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wenger will be gone soon enough and then I'd expect that Arsenal fans will see what not doing well is really like. He has kept them up there every year and but for huge money coming to new clubs would no doubt have a few more league titles. When he goes there is the real possibility that Arsenal fail to make a Champion's league for a couple of years. We all know how hard it is to keep your best players and get in what's required when you are not in the Champion's league.

I agree and disagree with this point. I'm willing to take the chance of finishing 1-5 than 2-4 every season. There is no reason why Arsenal as a club off the pitch regardless of manager can't get top 4 without Wenger. Just because Wenger goes doesn't mean that Arsenal will automatically drop out of top 4.

Just because it happened to Man Utd, doesn't mean it will happen to Arsenal. Arsenal will have a que waiting at the door to manage this club when Wenger goes. It's setup for success imo.

Champions League is not worth a damn if you go out of it at the same stage every year. I would ask a different question, How many leagues could we have won in the last 5/6 years with a different manager?

greendom wrote: »
    Would Allegri be a good manager at Arsenal?

We'll never know unless Wenger does the honourable thing. i would doubt he will when there is an easy 16m to be made over the next two seasons and a target of finishing in the top four. He can probably even afford to be beaten without a fight in a couple of games like we do every year.

Allegri won a few leagues with both AC and Juventus and got to a champions league final in 2015. Passionate man on the sideline. Ticks all the boxes and would be worth a punt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There was a time when I thought not qualifying for the champions league would start a disastrous set of circumstances the club might never recover from. Now I don't really care anymore. I've long since given up caring about the financial side of things, and what's the point in qualifying for a competition every year that you have no hope of winning. Barely any hope of getting past the second round.

Give somebody else a chance at managing the club. If they make things even worse then so be it. It won't be the end of the world and its long past the point where it's a risk worth taking now. The board have the complete opposite mindset to the above though. Cue contract renewal...

Oh please?! So what are you suggesting? That we should be glad to endure more gutless performances because of what might happen without Wenger? :rolleyes:

Nonsense logic.

We'll never know unless Wenger does the honourable thing. i would doubt he will when there is an easy 16m to be made over the next two seasons and a target of finishing in the top four. He can probably even afford to be beaten without a fight in a couple of games like we do every year.

Allegri won a few leagues with both AC and Juventus and got to a champions league final in 2015. Passionate man on the sideline.

I think he's an hnorouble man and if he thinks he can't improve the team he will realise his time is up. He's had the last 2 - 3 years without having the huge encumbrance of the stadium rebuild but hasn't been able to push the team to the next level. He knows this better than anyone.

I think he's an hnorouble man and if he thinks he can't improve the team he will realise his time is up. He's had the last 2 - 3 years without having the huge encumbrance of the stadium rebuild but hasn't been able to push the team to the next level. He knows this better than anyone.
    If he was honorable he'd have gone a few years ago.
    He's a company man. The master of excuses and spin.
    Can't stand him anymore.

Can't stand him anymore.

don't agree with any of that but the time is right now (well at the end of the season)

If he's offered 16million for the following two years, why would he reject that? Don't think honourable comes into it, in modern football. I'd be shocked if Wenger isn't in charge next season, the board don't care so long as he gets top 4 and makes them money.

It's a bad sign when Chelsea fans are singing " Wenger sign up,Wenger sign up" we aren't a threat to a title while he's in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Can't stand him anymore.

I disagree with this. I'd say her have gone years ago if it was up to him. I honestly believe he is staying because a lot of people involved with arsenal football club want him to stay till they have an answer.

Don't see a whole lot in it for him career wise the last few years. He is only there cause he likes arsenal football club in my opinion.

I disagree with this. I'd say her have gone years ago if it was up to him. I honestly believe he is staying because a lot of people involved with arsenal football club want him to stay till they have an answer.

Don't see a whole lot in it for him career wise the last few years. He is only there cause he likes arsenal football club in my opinion.

Earns £8million a year, that's why he's here not many careers in the world will offer you that money.

Earns £8million a year, that's why he's here not many careers in the world will offer you that money.

Drop in the ocean for someone at his level. He doesn't jump with joy cause of money reasons.

I know you'll scoff but I don't think his major motivation is the money.

Not criticising the man, just saying I don't think he's going to walk away from 8million a year if it's offered to him. Just disagreed with people saying he will walk away if he feels he's not up to the job.

Not criticising the man, just saying I don't think he's going to walk away from 8million a year if it's offered to him. Just disagreed with people saying he will walk away if he feels he's not up to the job.
    If he'said not enjoying it anymore, he will.

A blind dog can see he hasnt been up to the job with quite a while now. A team setup for failure

Well if he's enjoying that dross then there's something seriously wrong with him.

All the commentators today seem to think we were bossed and bullied. Chelsea had desire and we hadn't.

I don't think anyone will disagree with them this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Nothing left for it now but to go all in for the Champions League, hope the lads are up for it.

I doubt it. We will still have Wenger. Our big players do not do it when the pressure is on. One thing we are consistent at is the " same old Arsenal". We will struggle for 4th place, as the race for the top 4 is so competitive.
    So why is Ozil and possibly Sanchez's reason for stalling to signa  contract is to do on whether wenger stays(they will sign) or not(they will follow wenger)?

So why is Ozil and possibly Sanchez's reason for stalling to signa  contract is to do on whether wenger stays(they will sign) or not(they will follow wenger)?

If this is true i find their logic staggering. "I will only stay if Wenger remains but if he doesnt im off to play under another manager" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If this is true i find their logic staggering. "I will only stay if Wenger remains but if he doesnt im off to play under another manager" :rolleyes:

That's because life is easy under Wenger, fam. You're getting six figures a week, blud, and you don't even have that much pressure to perform, fam. Not right, blud.

All the commentators today seem to think we were bossed and bullied. Chelsea had desire and we hadn't.

I don't think anyone will disagree with them this week.

Sure we'll all go for a beer with Neville and chat about the game! I hope he people involved with the club we love are a bit more behind it than yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can't understand why MOTD and Shearer in particular seem to think Alexis "sulks" when he's on the pitch. I'd rather him get angry and annoyed than not give a flying **** at all, which some of the others are doing very capably might I add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Can't understand why MOTD and Shearer in particular seem to think Alexis "sulks" when he's on the pitch. I'd rather him get angry and annoyed than not give a flying **** at all, which some of the others are doing very capably might I add.

To be honest, judging someone by their body language is BS and Arsenal fans do it all the time. Scz gets slaughtered for not reacting and he's the worst ever, but Ozil reacts similarly and every Arsenal fan defends him.

Giroud over reacts and he gets slaughtered the dame as Scz but for a polar opposite reaction, but Sanchez throws his arms up, sits down or "throws a tantrum" and people defend him.

People react in different ways, get over it. Criticise them for the football or lack of effort, everything else is meaningless and doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement

Sure we'll all go for a beer with Neville and chat about the game! I hope he people involved with the club we live are a bit more behind it than yourself

I think that is where everyone is pissed off. Some of them inside the club have no commitment whatsoever. Tayto is making a valid point.

That's because life is easy under Wenger, fam. You're getting six figures a week, blud, and you don't even have that much pressure to perform, fam. Not right, blud.
    Fam? Blud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Fam? Blud?

Evidently, you don't feel him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Arghus wrote: »
    Evidently, you don't feel him.

It's Arsenal TV speak

Barlett wrote: »
    It's Arsenal TV speak

Just troopz uses it on AFTV (well in every sentance that is)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement