Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Bye bye Alexis Sanchez. What a talent. This joke of a club does not deserve you. Not one man in this pathetic excuse of a team would get even near our Premier League winning teams. Bar yourself and Ozil we are a nothing club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So why is Ozil and possibly Sanchez's reason for stalling to signa  contract is to do on whether wenger stays(they will sign) or not(they will follow wenger)?

If this is true i find their logic staggering. "I will only stay if Wenger remains but if he doesnt im off to play under another manager" :rolleyes:
    It was mentioned in the news a coupple of months ago how they are waiting to see if wenger stays longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

All the commentators today seem to think we were bossed and bullied. Chelsea had desire and we hadn't.

I don't think anyone will disagree with them this week.

It was a shocker, especially the way they just bullied us all over the field and we just wilted on the big occasion again. We played right into our critics hands of been bottlers.

Not going to get any easier, Hull who we play next are on a good run of form. They got a point at Old Trafford and beat Liverpool, they even showed more fight at Chelsea then we did. Just won't shock me if they did us over at home. Plus with a crowd still upset over the last two defeats and us been out of the title race already, it's going to be tough to get them onside. Plus we have a tough run of games With Liverpool away, Leicester home, West Brom away, Man City home. Could win them but this side could lose them all as well.

I think the CL games with Bayern are massively important now. Even Sutton game is too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

They deleted the tweet? Maybe there was no truth in it at all, not for the moment anyway. The timing did seem very strange alright

Earns £8million a year, that's why he's here not many careers in the world will offer you that money.

Plenty in elite level sport and business do.

Sanchez and Ozil see some merit in Wenger, perhaps their opinions are deemed worthy of consideration??

Wrong. Graham was starved of money in his latter two years and that's why we dropped down the table. He had probably more glory than Wenger given the time he was manager too.

He was found to be taking illegal bungs though... or is that irrelevant???

Putting personal gain ahead of the club doesn't sit right with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Looper007 wrote: »
    It was a shocker, especially the way they just bullied us all over the field and we just wilted on the big occasion again. We played right into our critics hands of been bottlers.

Not going to get any easier, Hull who we play next are on a good run of form. They got a point at Old Trafford and beat Liverpool, they even showed more fight at Chelsea then we did. Just won't shock me if they did us over at home. Plus with a crowd still upset over the last two defeats and us been out of the title race already, it's going to be tough to get them onside. Plus we have a tough run of games With Liverpool away, Leicester home, West Brom away, Man City home. Could win them but this side could lose them all as well.

I think the CL games with Bayern are massively important now. Even Sutton game is too.

The Sutton game isn't. The FA cup doesn't count, remember?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The Sutton game isn't. The FA cup doesn't count, remember?

Th FA Cup... only counts if we're beaten...

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »
    Th FA Cup... only counts if we're beaten...

One game in the past three years, if anyone's counting.

I'm still looking forward to the Allianz Arena, like yesterday, I do love the occasion of a match day, (once you come to terms with the result :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

It was mentioned in the news a coupple of months ago how they are waiting to see if wenger stays longer

They never said they were waiting in wenger to stay, the just want to see what's happening and who is coming in, if wenger stays it doesn't mean they are too

The glaringly obvious fact about yesterday's result is that Chelsea are the better team tbf

The win was not surprising

FixitFelix wrote: »
    They never said they were waiting in wenger to stay, the just want to see what's happening and who is coming in, if wenger stays it doesn't mean they are too

reports had indicated that they wouldn't stay if he didnt

The glaringly obvious fact about yesterday's result is that Chelsea are the better team tbf

Yeah, that's true. That said, I really didn't feel like we were bullied as I watched it. I have no real desire to watch it again with a clearer mind to be shown otherwise. I don't think our poor passing was down to being bullied.

I do remember a couple of their players committing quite a few fouls (3-5 each for Kante and Moses), but neither got a yellow that I can remember, and neither would be 'physical' players.

All 3 of their goals were preventable. I still don't understand the Hazard goal. Why didn't Coq take the yellow? Why didn't Kos come out and foul him before he got to the box? Why did Kos turn his back on Hazard in the box?

I haven't even looked at who we're playing next, but a few players (included Sanchez and Ozil) need to be shown that they aren't irreplaceable. I gauge the match on the players that didn't play like cr*p, and that list is pretty short. I'd probably say only the Ox, Iwobi and Monreal had solid games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Bye bye Alexis Sanchez. What a talent. This joke of a club does not deserve you. Not one man in this pathetic excuse of a team would get even near our Premier League winning teams. Bar yourself and Ozil we are a nothing club

As I've always said if they wanna go then they can go, but where was Sanchez yesterday? Doing what he did against Watford running around getting the hall in ridiculous position doing 50 step overs not releasing the ball and getting dispossessed.Özil was terrible aswell, these are our best two players but shouldn't be separated from the rest of the team for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

It's worth noting that Conte completely changed things around tactically after we beat them 3-0 and now they're probably going to win the title with some to spare.

Is Wenger capable of doing the same after yesterdays capitulation? History will say no but he's under significant pressure now, possibly the most in his long reign.

Basil3 wrote: »

All 3 of their goals were preventable. I still don't understand the Hazard goal. Why didn't Coq take the yellow? Why didn't Kos come out and foul him before he got to the box? Why did Kos turn his back on Hazard in the box?

I could be of course wrong on this, but I think Coq was going to foul him at some point then thought he could win it cleanly, he then caught hazards foot lost balance and threw himself at him to try foul again hence the way he fell over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

farna_boy wrote: »
    To be honest, judging someone by their body language is BS and Arsenal fans do it all the time. Scz gets slaughtered for not reacting and he's the worst ever, but Ozil reacts similarly and every Arsenal fan defends him.

Giroud over reacts and he gets slaughtered the dame as Scz but for a polar opposite reaction, but Sanchez throws his arms up, sits down or "throws a tantrum" and people defend him.

People react in different ways, get over it. Criticise them for the football or lack of effort, everything else is meaningless and doesn't really matter.

The majority of times if a player looks like a lazy git and doesnt try a leg then he's a lazy git and doesn't try a leg. The likes of Ozil isn't the first player to be accused of it and won't be the last either.

We had a corner yesterday not too far away from half time - Chelsea won it back and broke up the field. We managed to stop the attack and cleared and when the camera followed the ball here was Ozil just barely jogging over the halfway line. Now I know he's not a Kante type but what would stop him from going at 3/4 pace to get back and help out? How could anybody defend stuff like that?

Likewise Sanchez. I remember Henry in his final season or two getting a bit of stick for showing a lot of frustration and petulance on the field. The argument being we had a very young squad and it wasnt helping them berating them for every little mistake. Why should Sanchez be treated differently? Moaning and throwing his hands up and sulking doesn't help anyone. It doesn't do anything for the team it just makes him look like a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

2 more years of Wenger? Disgraceful. Old man is past it.

I could be of course wrong on this, but I think Coq was going to foul him at some point then thought he could win it cleanly, he then caught hazards foot lost balance and threw himself at him to try foul again hence the way he fell over.

Yeah, would say that's what happened. Probably backed himself for a clean tackle. Both CBs were back, so he probably didn't feel he had to take him out. Isn't hindsight wonderful.

Met an old school friend- huge Spurs fan (one of the reasons I support Arsenal 😝) brought his son to his first game yesterday- that warmed my spirits

Agree but they are a better team because our manager keeps playing players that arent up to winning a Premier League.

Agree but they are a better team because our manager keeps playing players that arent up to winning a Premier League.

And they have had considerbly more money invested in the team

Didn't win much pre ROM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Plenty in elite level sport and business do.

Sanchez and Ozil see some merit in Wenger, perhaps their opinions are deemed worthy of consideration??

How do you know Sanchez and Ozil see merit in Wenger anymore? There is nothing to suggest this is the case. Ozil is looking for clarification on the managers future and wants to know the clubs plan for if he goes? He never said his future depends on Wenger staying. I haven't heard anything from Sanchez about only staying if Wenger stays.

And they have had considerbly more money invested in the team

Didn't win much pre ROM

Thats because they improve there team. Any top player we sign is brought in to replace not strenghten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I see Keown said Arsene is signing a new 2 year deal.

Klopp has 1 win in 10...

Imagine if Wenger's record was that...

Thats because they improve there team. Any top player we sign is brought in to replace not strenghten.

Özil, Mustafi, Xhaka and Sanchez were all purchased to strengthen.

• Advertisement

How do you know Sanchez and Ozil see merit in Wenger anymore? There is nothing to suggest this is the case. Ozil is looking for clarification on the managers future and wants to know the clubs plan for if he goes? He never said his future depends on Wenger staying. I haven't heard anything from Sanchez about only staying if Wenger stays.

Özil said it
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/08/mesut-ozil-arsenal-contract-arsene-wenger?client=safari

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

liam7831 wrote: »

If that is the case, then put any ideas of the PL title on hold. No spending on new players to keep up with the big teams, just rinse and repeat.

Klopp has 1 win in 10...

Imagine if Wenger's record was that...

Your obsessed with the comparison to Klopp, He is also going through a sh1t time of it, what's your point exactly? As you ignored my question yesterday il ask again. Why the criticism of Klopp when he's only in the job over a year but for Wenger, its give him more time?
    Genuinely interested

wonga77 wrote: »
    Your obsessed with the comparison to Klopp, He is also going through a sh1t time of it, what's your point exactly? As you ignored my question yesterday il ask again. Why the criticism of Klopp when he's only in the job over a year but for Wenger, its give him more time?
    Genuinely interested

No. Klopp needs time too. I wouldntsack him, but he's not the messiah some here implied he was. That's all.

I didn't ignore your question I didn't see it

liam7831 wrote: »

I was reading that alright this morning

“That might be a tricky one but if you look at it I think Arsene Wenger will decide when he leaves the club.

“I believe he manages up and down within the club. They are going to want a run-up to a succession plan for a new manager and that will mean Arsene Wenger signing a new deal.

“I’m not sure if that sits completely well with the fans. But if you look at other situations, Manchester United losing Sir Alex Ferguson shows what can happen"

Its damming of the board if they don't have some tiny idea of a succession plan, even as a backup if Wenger did decide to call it a day. Its also clear from the quote of the power within the club that Wenger has.
    Im sick of the comparisons with Fergie, of course it might go like that but there's no guarantee. It could just as well turn out to be a masterstroke

Anyone here wishing we don't make top 4 so that Wenger gets the sack as he won't have met the boards target?

Anyone here wishing we don't make top 4 so that Wenger gets the sack as he won't have met the boards target?

No could never do that, anyway id say if we finished outside the top 4 it still wouldn't force the boards hand

I'm not.

• Advertisement

That attitude would be embarassing on several levels.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

That attitude would be embarassing on several levels.
    Nope not really.

Something has to give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Stats updated for the last two games.

Player|League Goals|Total Goals|League Assists|Total Assists
    Sanchez|15|17|8|13
    Walcott|8|14|2|2
    Giroud|8|11|3|4
    Ozil|5|9|4|7
    Oxlade Chamberlain|2|6|4|7
    Perez|1|6|0|5
    Own Goal|3|4|0|0
    Iwobi|3|4|3|4
    Xhaka|1|3|1|1
    Cazorla|2|2|2|3
    Koscielny|2|2|0|0
    Welbeck|0|2|0|1
    Chambers|1|1|0|0
    Mustafi|1|1|1|1
    Ramsey|0|1|1|2
    Elneny|0|0|1|2
    Bellerin|0|0|2|2
    Gibbs|0|0|1|2
    Akpom|0|0|0|1
    Monreal|0|0|2|2

Also found this interesting.

https://twitter.com/LGAmbrose/status/827886768141828098

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was a lovely day for golf and took my mind of that sh*** we witnessed yesterday under Magoo.

Johnny we are all Arsenal fans but some /most of us are not Arsene fans.
    I will always support the team but not Wenger who is holding the team back while still pocketing his 8 million a year for doing nothing.
    We will be stuck with him for years to come unfortunately.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    If that is the case, then put any ideas of the PL title on hold. No spending on new players to keep up with the big teams, just rinse and repeat.

Was there not just a post about purchasing to improve....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

How much has Wenger been paid since he last won a title?
    100 million?

Thing is I don't think he's motivated by money. It's power he craves. This is Arsene FC. He's surrounded himself with yes men. No one in the club can challenge him. The team makes the same mistakes year in year out.

Boring Boring Arsene Indeed.

We're still in top 4 dispite all the catastrophic failure of late!

How much has Wenger been paid since he last won a title?
    100 million?

Thing is I don't think he's motivated by money. It's power he craves. This is Arsene FC. He's surrounded himself with yes men. No one in the club can challenge him. The team makes the same mistakes year in year out.

Boring Boring Arsene Indeed.

Surely if he craved power he'd have gone on to a bigger club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

We're still in top 4 dispite all the catastrophic failure of late!

scary thing he's not the only Arsene fc fan out there like this. celebrating like 4th is like a damn title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement