Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Looper007 wrote: »
    scary thing he's not the only Arsene fc fan out there like this. celebrating like 4th is like a damn title.

I'm aware it's not a title, and if that's celebrating I'd hate to be at one of your parties...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

mansize wrote: »
    Surely if he craved power he'd have gone on to a bigger club?

he wouldn't have lasted any longer at bigger clubs cause they don't celebrate second best and off field success like we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looper007 wrote: »
    he wouldn't have lasted any longer at bigger clubs cause they don't celebrate second best and off field success like we do.

Don't worry Looper. These guys won't change.
    If we finished 5th or 6th these same lads would still argue that it was a successful season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Surely if he craved power he'd have gone on to a bigger club?

He's the Kingpin at Arsenal. Answerable to no one. No other club in football would allow him he such free reign as he gets at Arsenal. The guy in unsackable and in football that's unheard of.

He'd get sacked within 2 years at a big team. I think Real Madrid have often sacked a manager if he "only" won't the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How much has Wenger been paid since he last won a title?
    100 million?

Thing is I don't think he's motivated by money. It's power he craves. This is Arsene FC. He's surrounded himself with yes men. No one in the club can challenge him. The team makes the same mistakes year in year out.

Boring Boring Arsene Indeed.

I want to stay away from Wenger in/Wenger out rubbish because it's clear as day that he needs to go. Focusing on how much money he makes isn't really a thing for me...He's in the same job 20 odd years and gets rewarded with loyalty and more money...I'm ok with it.

What nobody ever mentions is the fact that this is entirely his team. The team of spineless chickens, it's not the first bunch of chickens he's assembled either.

You can't even compare him to Contè or pep or
    pochettino. Wenger has a massive advantage on those managers. They all inherited squads, they all added a handful of players... They're working with what they've got. The blame for them doing good or bad can't be laid entirely at their feet because of that. Look at the rubbish Klopp inherited at Liverpool, he gets great belly laughs in here when they lose and yet they're right behind us in the table.

Anyway, this is wengers team. Built in his image...You can't possibly blame anyone else for how pathetic they are. He's proven time and again he's terrible at motivating players, terrible at picking the right team, and beyond inept at tactics. So fourth place? Big swinging Mickey. Who cares. I bet Sam allerdyce could get that squad of players to 4th place.

How in 2017 is there still an argument about this? He's simply got to go.

• Advertisement

I want to stay away from Wenger in/Wenger out rubbish because it's clear as day that he needs to go. Focusing on how much money he makes isn't really a thing for me...He's in the same job 20 odd years and gets rewarded with loyalty and more money...I'm ok with it.

What nobody ever mentions is the fact that this is entirely his team. The team of spineless chickens, it's not the first bunch of chickens he's assembled either.

pochettino. Wenger has a massive advantage on those managers. They all inherited squads, they all added a handful of players... They're working with what they've got. The blame for them doing good or bad can't be laid entirely at their feet because of that. Look at the rubbish Klopp inherited at Liverpool, he gets great belly laughs in here when they lose and yet they're right behind us in the table.

Anyway, this is wengers team. Built in his image...You can't possibly blame anyone else for how pathetic they are. He's proven time and again he's terrible at motivating players, terrible at picking the right team, and beyond inept at tactics. So fourth place? Big swinging Mickey. Who cares. I bet Sam allerdyce could get that squad of players to 4th place.

He shat himself at Newcastle so doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

He shat himself at Newcastle so doubt it

Our squad. Wenger has done a great job with it. It's all I can praise him for these days.. give the squad to any of the top 6 or 7 managers in the league and I bet we would finish better than fourth.

Very good post.

Our squad. Wenger has done a great job with it. It's all I can praise him for these days.. give the squad to any of the top 6 or 7 managers in the league and I bet we would finish better than fourth.

Wenger managed 2nd!!!

Anyway so what if Leicester are relegated- they won the league last season! A model to be copied surely

• Advertisement

Anyway so what if Leicester are relegated- they won the league last season! A model to be copies surely

Ha ha deflection is great :D
    But give Wenger time and there's a good chance he'll follow suit.

Ha ha deflection is great :D
    But give Wenger time and there's a good chance he'll follow suit.

I'll give you any money at any odds Arsenal will not be relegated under Arsene Wenger

I'll give you any money at any odds Arsenal will not be relegated under Arsene Wenger

I'll see that and raise the bet to say we will never win another league under him. :pac:

I'll see that and raise the bet to say we will never win another league under him. :pac:

Who said we would?

Wenger managed 2nd!!!

Following another collapse when the pressure came.

Who said we would?

Only a madman would as long as he's boss.

Following another collapse when the pressure came.

What's that to do with the point of a top 6 manager getting this squad in the top 4 tho???

No I'm not. I want you to clarify what you said. How is that deflection???
    I never mentioned the words "mental health". I said that only a madman ( someone who entirely lost their mind) would bet on Wenger winning the league again.

What's that to do with the point of a top 6 manager getting this squad in the top 4 tho???

It's to do with Arsenal trying to win the league. Don't tell me you forgot that's the point of the Premier League?

It's to do with Arsenal trying to win the league. Don't tell me you forgot that's the point of the Premier League?

The point was any manager would get this squad in the top 4, I said Wenger got them to 2nd....

And I'm accused of deflecting...

• Advertisement

I never mentioned the words "mental health". I said that only a madman ( someone who entirely lost their mind) would bet on Wenger winning the league again.

Fine, a mad man is someone who entirely lost their mind!

That's all I asked!

As I don't see this side winning the league I can rest easily

The point was any manager would get this squad in the top 4, I said Wenger got them to 2nd....

And I'm accused of deflecting...
    When is the prize-giving?

When is the prize-giving?

It's not always about prizes!

It's not always about prizes!

That is always what it is about. Winning.
    Maybe that's why you are lukewarm about football. That could explain it alright.

That is always what it is about. Winning.
    Maybe that's why you are lukewarm about football. That could explain it alright.

No. I asked my mate down the pub- he supports Leeds, season ticket holder - it's not always about winning to him either.

He goes to all the ROI matches too so he wouldn't be lukewarm

I'm more tepid, so I only go to some

No. I asked my mate down the pub- he supports Leeds, season ticket holder - it's not always about winning to him either.

He goes to all the ROI matches too so he wouldn't be lukewarm

I'm more tepid, so I only go to some
    I'm sure your local library has a book or two that might help you understand the game. Don't give up just yet.

I'm sure your local library has a book or two that might help you understand the game. Don't give up just yet.

I'll lend it to you, I don't think my knowledge of the game is below much here.

I'll lend it to you, I don't think my knowledge of the game is below much here.
    Well if it's not about winning than it's well below. But then most on here already know that.

Well if it's not about winning than it's well below. But then most on here already know that.

???

• Advertisement

???
    You got it alright.

You got it alright.

No. I don't understand the post.

I don't claim or never have to be a great Arsenal fan

I started supporting them by default

I only go to a few games a season

I never said anything different

Roddy23 wrote: »
    That's well out of order buddy.

It was a figure of speech used quite often even if it is wrong.
    The other poster has been baiting all day and looking for a reaction like that imo. HM was obviously not aware of his condition, nor were any of us. He has my sympathies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Gary Neville pretty staunch in his defense of Wenger just there on sky. Carragher calling for change and Neville having none of it. Interesting debate there.

Kirby wrote: »
    Gary Neville pretty staunch in his defense of Wenger just there on sky. Carragher calling for change and Neville having none of it. Interesting debate there.

Neville has certainly changed his tune!

To quote the great PFlynn, "it's not as easy as it looks maybe you should try it sometime!"

• Advertisement

Are you mentally ill is a figure of speech now???

Not used by anyone I know. I don't want or need your sympathy btw, nobody's dead

It's said all the time when someone says something ridiculous like " i backed Arsenal to win the league even though we're 12 points behind and playing rubbish" or "I think i'll hang-glide off Slieve Foye mountain even though i've never done anything like that before".

My sympathy was for the poster who reacted btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I can't follow a f*cking thing in this thread right now... are we still talking about Arsenal?

I can't follow a f*cking thing in this thread right now... are we still talking about Arsenal?

Arsenal's 4th
    We're still in the UCL and the FA Cup

All is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

There's a few on this thread that just seem to live on it, give it a break. Its sad sad tripe, i would say maybe 10 comments a week on a thread would be a lot, not 30 or 40 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah this is an arsenal thread the reason we're all here is Arsenal , we're allowed disagree on things but christ the bickering on here is borderline ridiculous some of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Elneny scores a fine goal for Egypt in the final of AFCON . sooner he is back the better :) Very underrated

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Elneny scores a fine goal for Egypt in the final of AFCON . sooner he is back the better :) Very underrated

cheers for the update!- I'll turn it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I collapsed in school at 17

Headaches, swelling soft spots on the head, glazed eyes, irritability. Mood change

Do you get that now or is it managed.

Your mood on wenger doesn't change anyway :pac:

Feck sake. I can't watch it. I'm already on a stream and the golf is hotting up. Going to be a great finish.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Do you get that now or is it managed.

Your mood on wenger doesn't change anyway :pac:

I'm ok but I have to watch it. My mood has to be managed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thats Xhaka only for he'd get a red for that :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Love that guy. Can't wait till he's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Kirby wrote: »

Yeah there's rational either side if you strip the in/out argument nonsense from it

Neville made some fair points, that a lot of fans do when defending Wenger. He definitely doesn't deserve the abuse.
    He's probably right on Wenger getting criticised because of his longevity & if it was another manager 18 months in it wouldn't be as bad.

The thing is it isn't another manger, even if you take that hypothetical manger & put him in place since summer 13 when they started to splash the cash, give him wengers results there'd be people questioning him now.
    Some might have a bit of hope left in him for a 5th season but most fans have no hope in Wenger anymore.

It was last season or the one previous where Neville declared Wenger 'either naïve or arrogant' with his approach, today he reckons it should be celebrated?

That's when carragher's reasons appear to make more sense. Move to a big stadium to become a real massive club yet appear to be content with 4th & not competing for the CL. No ruthlessness from owners, etc.

There's a decent enough squad there now, a team that shouldn't be 12 points behind in the league. After winning the fa cups you think the players realised they're able to win trophies with him but he hasn't pushed them on. Unless he does this year yet...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement