Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Yeah there's rational either side if you strip the in/out argument nonsense from it

Neville made some fair points, that a lot of fans do when defending Wenger. He definitely doesn't deserve the abuse.
    He's probably right on Wenger getting criticised because of his longevity & if it was another manager 18 months in it wouldn't be as bad.

The thing is it isn't another manger, even if you take that hypothetical manger & put him in place since summer 13 when they started to splash the cash, give him wengers results there'd be people questioning him now.
    Some might have a bit of hope left in him for a 5th season but most fans have no hope in Wenger anymore.

It was last season or the one previous where Neville declared Wenger 'either naïve or arrogant' with his approach, today he reckons it should be celebrated?

That's when carragher's reasons appear to make more sense. Move to a big stadium to become a real massive club yet appear to be content with 4th & not competing for the CL. No ruthlessness from owners, etc.

There's a decent enough squad there now, a team that shouldn't be 12 points behind in the league. After winning the fa cups you think the players realised they're able to win trophies with him but he hasn't pushed them on. Unless he does this year yet...

The only trophy we may win is the FA Cup.

If winning the league was so simple how has liverpool not managed it in 25 years?

Its a rather reductive argument to me

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Love that guy. Can't wait till he's back.

Cos he's worth it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This forum is gone to ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I just saw we are only one point ahead of United. Jesus that's shambolic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I just saw we are only one point ahead of United. Jesus that's shambolic

1 point ahead of Liverpool (we play them away in early March).
    2 points ahead of United. (they have to visit us yet).

Going to be very tough the way we are playing.

Egypt runner up in the ACON btw

1 point ahead of Liverpool (we play them away in early March).
    2 points ahead of United. (they have to visit us yet).

Going to be very tough the way we are playing.

Well the way i see it, the spineless players dont give a fúck and the manager is seemingly oblivious to the problems at the club.......so at this stage im wondering why the fúck should ordinary people worry about millionaires who are downing tools and short changing the supporters?

premier_league_table.gif

If I remember correctly this one updates regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is that before City & United's games today?

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Is that before City & United's games today?

Yes, but he updates the image so it will read the winners in may!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mansize wrote: »
    Yes, but he updates the image so it will read the winners in may!

Do you think it's going to be easier to find that post rather than just googling "EPL final table"?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do you think it's going to be easier to find that post rather than just googling "EPL final table"?

No, I just found it cool that it updates with the same url... well it was cool in 98 :pac:

No, I just found it cool that it updates with the same url... well it was cool in 98 :pac:

Like Arsene Wenger... Times change though

Form is temporary, class is permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Although i disagree, this did give me a chuckle.

• Advertisement

Form is temporary, class is permanent

Our form of being perennial also-rans is quite permanent. Wenger was a great manager. he's finished.

Our form of being perennial also-rans is quite permanent. Wenger was a great manager. he's finished.

putting it in bold... suddenly wait... now i get it...

No, fcuk that shyte.

Arsene-Wenger-lays-in-the-sand-whilst-playing-a-game-of-footvolley-on-the-beach-in-Ipanema.jpg

Arsene-Wenger-lays-in-the-sand-whilst-playing-a-game-of-footvolley-on-the-beach-in-Ipanema.jpg

And what exactly is your point? :confused:

Gary Neville talking absolute b0llocks too. Arsenal fans pay the highest prices in the league for the bare minimum achievement with some sickingly insipid performances thrown in each year. Its not good enough.

its not unreasonable to want the manager out if you have to part with hard earned money to watch some of those jokers every week. They can throw out the silly net spend excuses all they like and what City, Utd or Chelsea spend but effort, ambition or desire costs nothing.

• Advertisement

Gary Neville talking absolute b0llocks too. Arsenal fans pay the highest prices in the league for the bare minimum achievement with some sickingly insipid performances thrown in each year. Its not good enough.

its not unreasonable to want the manager out if you have to part with hard earned money to watch some of those jokers every week. They can throw out the silly net spend excuses all they like and what City, Utd or Chelsea spend but effort, ambition or desire costs nothing.

I thought we weren't allowed to differentiate between paying and non paying arsenal fans anymore :confused::confused::confused:

And what exactly is your point? :confused:

Still cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Neville has changed his tune, he comes across very critical of Wemger in his book about how Arsene let the rot set in at Arsenal and has done nothing to rectify it. As a United fan I have a healthy respect for Wenger however for the last five years I really don't know how Arsenal fans have kept patience.

The grass is not always greener of course, nothing to say the next guy will do a better job but to be fair as a fan you want your club winning the league or the champions league. Really doesn't feel like that's something Arsene has in him anymore. At least with someone new there is renewed sense of optimism within the club, Wenger is so divisive amongst fans right now.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Neville has changed his tune, he comes across very critical of Wemger in his book about how Arsene let the rot set in at Arsenal and has done nothing to rectify it. As a United fan I have a healthy respect for Wenger however for the last five years I really don't know how Arsenal fans have kept patience.

The grass is not always greener of course, nothing to say the next guy will do a better job but to be fair as a fan you want your club winning the league or the champions league. Really doesn't feel like that's something Arsene has in him anymore. At least with someone new there is renewed sense of optimism within the club, Wenger is so divisive amongst fans right now.

The UCL or BPL only, sounds very glory hunteresque to me

Really? Why? Lets be honest here, they are the elite trophies, I am of course delighted see my club win an FA Cup or a league cup, every trophy gets celebrated but nothing compares to slugging out a league title over 38 games or beating Europes elite over the champions league.

Do you not want that? Is that not what Arsenal as one of the elite clubs should strive for?

Really? Why? Lets be honest here, they are the elite trophies, I am of course delighted see my club win an FA Cup or a league cup, every trophy gets celebrated but nothing compares to slugging out a league title over 38 games or beating Europes elite over the champions league.

Do you not want that? Is that not what Arsenal as one of the elite clubs should strive for?

Even the word elite should give you a clue

Even the word elite should give you a clue

I'm not big on clues, just say what ya feel? Do you want to compete for those trophies?

I'm not big on clues, just say what ya feel? Do you want to compete for those trophies?

If we are, we are. I'd rather win on merit than any other means.

If we are, we are. I'd rather win on merit than any other means.

What does that even mean? What constitutes merit and how would you even win by any other means?

Yeah thats kinda the whole basis of supporting football clubs or sport in fairness! :confused:

We are all chasing/awating the feel good factor of them becoming the best.

its really the foundation of why people flock in their droves to sporting events every weekend all over the world :rolleyes:

If they dont win, we at the very least want to see that they are dedicated to the cause.

For example, the Clare man Gary Brennan played up in Derry today after playing for his club less then 24 hours ago and 500 km away in Thurles. Thats some dedication to the cause. Yet we have pr1cks on 80k a week average who couldnt give a flying shíte and the great Wenger has stood by them

• Advertisement

What does that even mean? What constitutes merit and how would you even win by any other means?

If we are an elite club, so be it, if we are not, I'll still support them.

A large influx of money would be one alternate way

Yeah thats kinda the whole basis of supporting football clubs or sport in fairness! :confused:

We are all chasing/awating the feel good factor of them becoming the best.

its really the foundation of why people flock in their droves to sporting events every weekend all over the world :rolleyes:

If they dont win, we at the very least want to see that they are dedicated to the cause.

For example, the Clare man Gary Brennan played up in Derry today after playing for his club less then 24 hours ago and 500 km away in Thurles. Thats some dedication to the cause. Yet we have pr1cks on 80k a week average who couldnt give a flying shíte and the great Wenger has stood by them

182km from Thurles to Derry, is he claiming milage???

Ah the great GAA players, doing it all for the parish...

not many Arsenal players born in the borough of islington, so that would explain that argument

No it wouldnt. Atletico have proved this in Spain. Leicester proved this last season. You dont need wad loads to win the league or compete at the very very top.

And before you give your usual scutter reply about how Leicester are doing this season IT IS TOTALLY FÚCKING IRRELEVANT AND I AM SICK TO FÚCKING DEATH OF HAVING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU. The point is with the correct application, belief and attitude it is possible to win the league instead of wallowing in self pity and having a defeatist attitude.

Saying you need money to achieve is the very same as saying 'working class people shouldnt bother dreaming they should accept their lot in life'.

182km from Thurles to Derry, is he claiming milage???

Ah the great GAA players, doing it all for the parish...

not many Arsenal players born in the borough of islington, so that would explain that argument

But all getting paid wad loads of cash to do their job and yet they cant seem to manage that

No it wouldnt. Atletico have proved this in Spain. Leicester proved this last season. You dont need wad loads to win the league or compete at the very very top.

And before you give your usual scutter reply about how Leicester are doing this season IT IS TOTALLY FÚCKING IRRELEVANT AND I AM SICK TO FÚCKING DEATH OF HAVING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU. The point is with the correct application, belief and attitude it is possible to win the league instead of wallowing in self pity and having a defeatist attitude.

Saying you need money to achieve is the very same as saying 'working class people shouldnt bother dreaming they should accept their lot in life'.

I said ONE way, not the only way

you're way is more difficult to replicate tbf

I'm not questioning your support, I suppose I'm more trying identify what your end goal is! Surely you support a team and have expectations or at least hopes of what they can achieve! Or are you completely different from the vast majority of football fans.

As for your second point, Arsenal can spend very healthily within there means and still have money left over. They don't need an outside cash injection.

A club winning something on merit means they've maximised what they can achieve within the assets at there disposal? Do you believe Arsenal or Wenger are utilising all the assets to the best of there ability? As an outsider looking in id say no but I'm not an Arsenal fan so my perception may differ greatly from your reality

But all getting paid wad loads of cash to do their job and yet they cant seem to manage that

maybe they meet their goals and objectives for the year?

I'm not questioning your support, I suppose I'm more trying identify what your end goal is! Surely you support a team and have expectations or at least hopes of what they can achieve! Or are you completely different from the vast majority of football fans.

As for your second point, Arsenal can spend very healthily within there means and still have money left over. They don't need an outside cash injection.

A club winning something on merit means they've maximised what they can achieve within the assets at there disposal? Do you believe Arsenal or Wenger are utilising all the assets to the best of there ability? As an outsider looking in id say no but I'm not an Arsenal fan so my perception may differ greatly from your reality

I'd say the reality of knowing the finances needed to run a consistently top side like Arsenal is beyond the remove of most fans.

I think more money is required to compete with those who have won titles recently that arsenal currently have at their disposal

maybe they meet their goals and objectives for the year?

Not to the fans they havent. The Arsenal fans pay the most expensive prices and get two fingers from the manager, board and team in response.

• Advertisement

Not to the fans they havent. The Arsenal fans pay the most expensive prices and get two fingers from the manager, board and team in response.

the money directly from fans isn't that much.

Should customers/clients/users be involved directly in Annual reviews?

I'd say the reality of knowing the finances needed to run a consistently top side like Arsenal is beyond the remove of most fans.

I think more money is required to compete with those who have won titles recently that arsenal currently have at their disposal

Apart from your good self, TY, the board, and the Nutty professor the vast majority of Arsenal fans are well aware that it takes some sort of effort on the field to win games but dont let that stop your delusions

Apart from your good self, TY, the board, and the Nutty professor the vast majority of Arsenal fans are well aware that it takes some sort of effort on the field to win games but dont let that stop your delusions

Do you think the current squad is good enough?

If not, how much in transfers and wages is required to change that???

who's TY???

the money directly from fans isn't that much.

Should customers/clients/users be involved directly in Annual reviews?

Without Fans the arse would fall out of football. They are the lifeblood of the game. Anyway there is a bit more to football then fans monetary worth to the club. Fans flocking all over Europe to follow the team is a priceless commodity.

If no one turned up at the next Arsenal match we would quickly find out from the PR brigade at Arsenal how important the fans are.

Without Fans the arse would fall out of football. They are the lifeblood of the game. Anyway there is a bit more to football then fans monetary worth to the club. Fans flocking all over Europe to follow the team is a priceless commodity.

If no one turned up at the next Arsenal match we would quickly find out from the PR brigade at Arsenal how important the fans are.

whats the likelihood of that happening though?

I'm sure they allow for a decline, but not a complete fall off

Do you think the current squad is good enough?

If not, how much in transfers and wages is required to change that???

who's TY???

:rolleyes:

Oh You'd like TY youd have plenty in common. Another Wenger loyalist

Arsenal have spent 145m on Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka, Mustafi. Throw in another 17m each on Perez and Welbeck and then there is Cechs salary.

We have players are World Cup winners in Ozils case, Copa America winners (Sanchez). Then we have the majority of the squad who are internationals for France, Spain, Germany, England.

We should be mounting a far far better challenge then we are. We are pathetic and it has been going on with years.

Something tells me ill probably have to explain all this again at some stage.

• Advertisement

You think its 500km from Thurles to Derry, and I'm the deluded one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What are you on about? Honestly...

Oh You'd like TY youd have plenty in common. Another Wenger loyalist

Arsenal have spent 145m on Ozil, Sanchez, Xhaka, Mustafi. Throw in another 17m each on Perez and Welbeck and then there is Cechs salary.

We have players are World Cup winners in Ozils case, Copa America winners (Sanchez). Then we have the majority of the squad who are internationals for France, Spain, Germany, England.

We should be mounting a far far better challenge then we are. We are pathetic and it has been going on with years.

Something tells me ill probably have to explain all this again at some stage.

So you think this squad is good enough???

I don't. I haven't had an expectation of winning the league in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Christ this thread is still a mess?

Wow, you are scraping the barrel now arent you?

RTE quoted that distance earlier and they were referring to a round trip. I probably should have explained this better granted.

237 miles according to google from Derry to Thurles. Brennan would have had to travel to Clare for his teaching job in Flannans tomorrow which again is 204 miles again according to Google. Im assuming while it may not be 100% it isnt too far out of the ballpark.

Its an admirable commitment whatever peoples opinion is on GAA and puts the overpaid shambles of modern day soccer into light. Some of our great Arsenal lads are barely willing to travel a few yards up the pitch.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement