Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

Christ this thread is still a mess?

Yes unfortunately ive been dragged down to the depths of despair again. As if being an Arsenal supporter wasnt tough enough we have to contend with our own TY on this thread. Anyways later folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

:rolleyes:
    Wow, you are scraping the barrel now arent you?

RTE quoted that distance earlier and they were referring to a round trip. I probably should have explained this better granted.

237 miles according to google from Derry to Thurles. Brennan would have had to travel to Clare for his teaching job in Flannans tomorrow which again is 204 miles again according to Google. Im assuming while it may not be 100% it isnt too far out of the ballpark.

Its an admirable commitment whatever peoples opinion is on GAA and puts the overpaid shambles of modern day soccer into light. Some of our great Arsenal lads are barely willing to travel a few yards up the pitch.

A round trip would greatly exceed 500km also.

Neither is correct

Arghus wrote: »
    But you used it as a response to a point he made that was completely unconnected to anything to do with that?

He called me deluded, I found it ironic and cited the reason

Yes unfortunately ive been dragged down to the depths of despair again. As if being an Arsenal supporter wasnt tough enough we have to contend with our own TY on this thread. Anyways later folks.

Martyr to the cause. I wasn't talking about GAA on thread prior to your mentioning of it.

mansize wrote: »
    He called me deluded, I found it ironic and cited the reason

no not me, RTE deluded which you would have a case. i only quoted what i read earlier.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0205/850352-brennan-plays-two-games-travels-500k-in-24-hours/

As i said, you are scraping the barrel son. This is all you have in response? Fcuking pathetic

https://twitter.com/zekedesign/status/828409961399087105

Apparently Brady did a Coq at the Super Bowl

Couldnt give a b0llocks mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Liam Brady??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Liam Brady??
    No, Archbishop Brady

No, Archbishop Brady

He's nothing to do with Arsenal,either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A major clean up has been conducted of this thread again, a large portion of posts either off topic or derailing the thread have been removed.

PMs are going to be sent to the main individuals that are driving this topic off thread into bickering.

Some General Rules from here for everyone:

- It is not ok to take things into your own hands and 'call out' a poster on thread now matter how fed up you feel.
    - It is not ok to respond in kind by doing the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That Superbowl eh?

That Superbowl eh?

I loved it...what a comeback!!!

Can I light the blue touch paper and say we are missing the kind of spirit the patriots showed.

They never gave up.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I loved it...what a comeback!!!

Can I light the blue touch paper and say we are missing the kind of spirit the patriots showed.

They never gave up.

Where's Tayto to yell at people for talking about other sports in the soccer forum? Here we have people going on about GAA and gridiron in one night, and he's nowhere to be seen :pac:

Arsenal came back from 2-0 down in the FA Cup final only recently. That's the closest comparison I could think of to a Superbowl final.....so they have demonstrated that 'never give up' spirit on the biggest stage.

Don't call it a comeback!

I knew hey'd do it! Largely cos I was slagging my huge pats fan friend at HT

He was so happy he didnt care and said nice things about Gaga lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

So you think this squad is good enough???

I don't. I haven't had an expectation of winning the league in years.

Surely that is the managers fault? He has had plenty of time to rebuild a squad capable of winning a title? I just think hes gone soft and is too comfortable in his position, quite like some of our players in the team. This rot has started at the top and worked its way down into the playing staff.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Where's Tayto to yell at people for talking about other sports in the soccer forum? Here we have people going on about GAA and gridiron in one night, and he's nowhere to be seen :pac:

Arsenal came back from 2-0 down in the FA Cup final only recently. That's the closest comparison I could think of to a Superbowl final.....so they have demonstrated that 'never give up' spirit on the biggest stage.

It was an admirable fight back but that was against Hull City who narrowly avoided relegation that season. We froze in that game again in the first 20 minutes, players were like statues. This is a mentally weak team, everybody can see it but very few delusional supporters.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    It was an admirable fight back but that was against Hull City who narrowly avoided relegation that season. We froze in that game again in the first 20 minutes, players were like statues. This is a mentally weak team, everybody can see it but very few delusional supporters.

I was simply making a valid point. I know there's always a 'but' involved when Arsenal does something that doesn't fit the narrative.

Surely that is the managers fault? He has had plenty of time to rebuild a squad capable of winning a title? I just think hes gone soft and is too comfortable in his position, quite like some of our players in the team. This rot has started at the top and worked its way down into the playing staff.

No, I don't think Arsenal have had the money to fully construct a sustainable league winning side.

No, I don't think Arsenal have had the money to fully construct a sustainable league winning side.

200 million in 3 years is quite a considerable amount. Sure whats the point in bringing in new players when the manager continues to play players in key areas who are not good enough. Walcott should of been sold long ago, Oxlade Chemberlain continues to play, Ramsey a shadow of the player we seen a few seasons back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

If Conte was managing Arsenal this season and Wenger was managing Chelsea I dont think it would be a huge stretch to say we would be top of the league and favourites for the title right now.

ronjo wrote: »
    If Conte was managing Arsenal this season and Wenger was managing Chelsea I dont think it would be a huge stretch to say we would be top of the league and favourites for the title right now.

I disagree

Is he going to pull a functioning midfield out of nowhere?

200 million in 3 years is quite a considerable amount. Sure whats the point in bringing in new players when the manager continues to play players in key areas who are not good enough. Walcott should of been sold long ago, Oxlade Chemberlain continues to play, Ramsey a shadow of the player we seen a few seasons back.

How much would properly replacing those three cost?

How much would properly replacing those three cost?

Draxler would of being an ideal signing. Think he went to PSG for a very affordable price. We should of also kept Joel Campbell and offloaded one of Walcottkr Ox. Ramsey I would keep just because he does put a shift in and can do it at the highest level, but hes just far too inconsistent.

I disagree

Or perhaps he would you know, have them functioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Definitely - Conte isn't afraid to change tactics - compared to the start of the seaosn when Arsenal bet Chelsea to Saturdays match - two completely different animals.
    Chelsea don't carry any passengers and have a great work ethic thanks to Conte.

These are exactly Wengers problems and he's not for changing.

Arsenal have a very good team and even bench this season and not many injuries compared to other seasons - they should be doing a lot better.

• Advertisement

Or perhaps he would you know, have them functioning.

That would be impressive

Draxler was only 34 million. My god why on earth did we not try to sign this young lad. Bag fulls of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That would be doing the managers job
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

That Hull game isn't going to be easy either. Marco Silva has got them playing as a team even as he lost the teams best player during January. Beat Liverpool and UTD at home and drew away to UTD. They even gave Chelsea a good game. So anyone expecting a easy three points might be in for a surprise.

Throw in Liverpool away, WBA away and City at home. Going to be a tough few weeks for us. But it seems our lot play well when the pressure is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I disagree

He have them scared for their life instead of wanting to be their friend like Wenger does. I wouldn't want to be making a enemy out of Conte. So he have that midfield working.

• Advertisement

Draxler was only 34 million. My god why on earth did we not try to sign this young lad. Bag fulls of potential.

I don't know why everyone is fixated on the transfer fee. I would suggest he is being paid more than we pay Özil and Sanchez, that's a bigger decider.

226 million in cash in the bank at the club and the Wengerites are saying we haven't the money to build a league winning team :pac:

Highest earners last season in the league too with tv revenue. We are just a business.

226 million in cash in the bank at the club and the Wengerites are saying we haven't the money to build a league winning team :pac:

Where's that figure from???

Where's that figure from???

Listening to it on Talksport now.

Dont do that to yourself man.
    I live in Central Europe and listen most days.
    I will be avoiding Drive today as there is nothing worse than listening to Durham knowing he is 100% correct.

Dont do that to yourself man.
    I live in Central Europe and listen most days.
    I will be avoiding Drive today as there is nothing worse than listening to Durham knowing he is 100% correct.

Its true. They do talk bollocks most of the time tho.

IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/34j4n6v.jpg[/IMG]

Can somebody put that link as a picture? On the phone here.

• I come in peace
    I've not heard / read many Arsenal fans say who they actually want to replace Wenger with?
    IMO it's obvious that the club / Chairman couldn't give a ****e about what the fans think.
    Especially when there is an argument to be made that Wenger is doing the best possible job with the resources available to him.
    Would be interesting to read some thoughts

Look at the difference in our owners. Abramovich in the stands kicking every single ball showing some passion. He is a football man, a Chelsea fan. Where does Kroenke be? In the states somewhere buying a ranch off the back of the club. I think Kroenke and Wenger are equally as bad as each other. Were always told the money is there to spend. Gazidis said it himself as if to put pressure on Wenger to spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We will always get mediocrity if we put up with mediocrity.

The only way to get change is for the fans to protest inside and outside the stadium. Refuse to go inside one week and go in and protest the following week. Have it all seen on t.v. Then they'll take notice.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I come in peace
    I've not heard / read many Arsenal fans say who they actually want to replace Wenger with?
    IMO it's obvious that the club / Chairman couldn't give a ****e about what the fans think.
    Especially when there is an argument to be made that Wenger is doing the best possible job with the resources available to him.
    Would be interesting to read some thoughts
    Wenger's acquisitions can be argued, but his team preparation, matchday decisions, in-game decisions, lack of leadership, and general failure to proactively change tactics to suit the opposition is where he falls down in my opinion. He has all the resources there to make a proper title challenge (definitely last year) but he can't because he relies too much on the players without adding to the team himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's not a lot of difference between us and Chelsea in wage bills. We have a pile of money in the bank. Why can we not construct a league winning side again?

• Quazzie wrote: »
    Wenger's acquisitions can be argued, but his team preparation, matchday decisions, in-game decisions, lack of leadership, and general failure to proactively change tactics to suit the opposition is where he falls down in my opinion. He has all the resources there to make a proper title challenge (definitely last year) but he can't because he relies too much on the players without adding to the team himself.

And that's the other side of the argument. But who takes over from Wenger?

Talksport, as a reliable a source as a tabloid.

Signing Draxler etc affects more that just the signing fee.

Wages and other players' wage demands as a result is one

There's not a lot of difference between us and Chelsea in wage bills. We have a pile of money in the bank. Why can we not construct a league winning side again?

Chelsea were forced to by the UEFA regulations.

Have you got the wage bills reference to hand?

Look at the difference in our owners. Abramovich in the stands kicking every single ball showing some passion. He is a football man, a Chelsea fan. Where does Kroenke be? In the states somewhere buying a ranch off the back of the club. I think Kroenke and Wenger are equally as bad as each other. Were always told the money is there to spend. Gazidis said it himself as if to put pressure on Wenger to spend it.

He's only a fan since he bought them.

Been given half of Russia's oil following the breakup of the USSR helps too

Talksport, as a reliable a source as a tabloid.

Signing Draxler etc affects more that just the signing fee.

Wages and other players' wage demands as a result is one

I just posted a link up from Swiss Ramble that verifies us having 226 million in the bank as a fact.

What do you mean signing Draxler effects more than just the signing fee? Talk about stating the obvious there. Should we of not signed Ozil or Sanchez because it would of cost us more than the transfer fee haha?

You said earlier we havent got the money to assemble a league winning team. We have plenty of money. Wenger had over 300 million to spend this summer.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And that's the other side of the argument. But who takes over from Wenger?
    Simeone would be my first choice. If it was me making the call I'd be go all out for him.

Looper007 wrote: »
    He have them scared for their life instead of wanting to be their friend like Wenger does. I wouldn't want to be making a enemy out of Conte. So he have that midfield working.

Someone here accused Wenger of not being Friendly with the players like Klopp is. He hadn't talked enough to Xhaka...

Damned if you do eh...

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Simeone would be my first choice. If it was me making the call I'd be go all out for him.

How would you get him to join Arsenal and leave Atleti?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement