Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We will always get mediocrity if we put up with mediocrity.

The only way to get change is for the fans to protest inside and outside the stadium. Refuse to go inside one week and go in and protest the following week. Have it all seen on t.v. Then they'll take notice.

But not all the fans share your opinion.

It's a fandom divided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mansize wrote: »
    How would you get him to join Arsenal and leave Atleti?
    I can think of 3.9 million reasons per year for him to join us.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I just posted a link up from Swiss Ramble that verifies us having 226 million in the bank as a fact.

What do you mean signing Draxler effects more than just the signing fee? Talk about stating the obvious there. Should we of not signed Ozil or Sanchez because it would of cost us more than the transfer fee haha?

You said earlier we havent got the money to assemble a league winning team. We have plenty of money. Wenger had over 300 million to spend this summer.

The wage demands of other players is one simple example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Quazzie wrote: »

Go again. Wenger is on double that.

Not everyone is motivated by money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Draxler was only 34 million. My god why on earth did we not try to sign this young lad. Bag fulls of potential.

I thought it was nearer 55m no? Anyway he's a player I would have liked, it's no secret wenger tried to get him a couple of times but club were unwilling to sell, he's just another player we can add to the list of players we could have had, in well used to it by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

He's only a fan since he bought them.

Been given half of Russia's oil following the breakup of the USSR helps too

Your actually blind in your defence of Wenger, is there anything in your opinion Wenger could be doing better because you seem to think he's doing a great job and maximising his resources.

Go again. Wenger is on double that.
    I know. That's the difference between Wenger's wages and Simeone's.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Your actually blind in your defence of Wenger, is there anything in your opinion Wenger could be doing better because you seem to think he's doing a great job and maximising his resources.

Only in hindsight, which is unfair on the person making the decisions tbf

I know. That's the difference between Wenger's wages and Simeone's.

Why would he join us on the same money????

• Advertisement

• Quazzie wrote: »
    Simeone would be my first choice. If it was me making the call I'd be go all out for him.

A manager who I also highly rate (he was my first choice for the United Job)
    As a start he would most certainly get Arsenal to sharpen up from a defensive perspective.
    I would take a guess and say some of Wengers first 11 would get the chop.
    For example a player like Ozil may pack his bags if he did come in.

The wage demands of other players is one simple example

So by that logic we couldnt sign anybody without unsettling the rest of the squad?

So by that logic we couldnt sign anybody without unsettling the rest of the squad?

If they were on significantly higher wages it would affect some

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I thought it was nearer 55m no? Anyway he's a player I would have liked, it's no secret wenger tried to get him a couple of times but club were unwilling to sell, he's just another player we can add to the list of players we could have had, in well used to it by now

No it was in between 35-40 million but no more. Excellent player that can cause real problems out wide. A real old fashioned winger who has superb technique and can actually go by a player instead of just running in behind. Can also operate up front. If you watched Draxler and then watching Walcott and Ox out wide you would actually see how limited our lads are.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    A manager who I also highly rate (he was my first choice for the United Job)
    As a start he would most certainly get Arsenal to sharpen up from a defensive perspective.
    I would take a guess and say some of Wengers first 11 would get the chop.
    For example a player like Ozil may pack his bags if he did come in.

I don't like his physical style. The last line would be a big no from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chelsea were forced to by the UEFA regulations.

Have you got the wage bills reference to hand?
    Not sure what UEFA regulations have to do with anything, it's not stopping Chelsea from winning things.

Here's one from last year

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

And I reckon the gap has shortened more, Chelsea have sold off a lot of crap recently.

If they were on significantly higher wages it would affect some

Nonsense. Its not as if Draxler was looking for 200k a week. Astonishingly he earns less than Theo Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I just posted a link up from Swiss Ramble that verifies us having 226 million in the bank as a fact.

What do you mean signing Draxler effects more than just the signing fee? Talk about stating the obvious there. Should we of not signed Ozil or Sanchez because it would of cost us more than the transfer fee haha?

You said earlier we havent got the money to assemble a league winning team. We have plenty of money. Wenger had over 300 million to spend this summer.

Wenger's time is up but where on earth did that 300 million figure come from?

Have alternatve facts hit boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

No it was in between 35-40 million but no more. Excellent player that can cause real problems out wide. A real old fashioned winger who has superb technique and can actually go by a player instead of just running in behind. Can also operate up front. If you watched Draxler and then watching Walcott and Ox outside you would actually see how limited our lads are.

I got stick my 12 yr old son out there and he would show more ability than Walcott, get rid of him and there's an extra 100k a week to someone worth while

greendom wrote: »
    Wenger's time is up but where on earth did that 300 million figure come from?

Have alternatve facts hit boards ?

If we have 220 million in the bank and we already spent 90 plus million in the summer then if he really wanted it that sort of money was available to him. Not that we need that much of an investment but I think we should of tried everything to sign Draxler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Lads don't do it to yere selves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If we have 220 million in the bank and we already spent 90 plus million in the summer then if he really wanted it that sort of money was available to him. Not that we need that much of an investment but I think we should of tried everything to sign Draxler.

Just because there is 220 million in the bank that does not mean that it can all be spent on transfers/wages. Was that the conclusion Swiss Ramble came to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm surprised that Arsenal havent spent more down throughout the yeras, everyone HAS to spend money to get the best players and to build a title winning squad, but in fairness, it is only one poster plahing the poor mouth card.

Arsenal have a fantastic XI, one of the bets in the legaue but its devoid of quality outside the starting XI, Welbeck coming back and Giroud from the bench are decent options though but you'd like more strength in depth and as a number of you have pointed out, the money is there so it should be spent.

Arsenal arent Bournemouth so if City, Utd, Chelsea are spending figures that Arsenal can also match and winning titles on the back of it, I can only imagine how it makes the majortity of ye feel, because lets face it, Arsenal as I said, are far from a middle tier club in terms of resources or desirability.

Theres no reason to spend for the sake of it, you have to have targets but penny pinching has cost Arsenal in the past and its something Wenger has to be held accountable for because its held Arsenal back while others have driven on to win titles. I admire Wengers principles but Arsenal havent gone forward in the best part of a decade nor have you guys had a sustained title push since, fighting until the last week or two, since winning it, that I can remember.

With Pep, Jose, Conte, Klopp and Poch in the league, the time has come for Arsenal to push aside Wenger, IMO and replace him with Simeone but Simeone has said he'd only leave to go to Inter Milan who have new backers and money to spend.

Just in Chelseas spoend which seems to pop up a bit, I think Chelsea will spend big in the summer too, we'll have the UCL and title to fight for and our squad has been stripped off some dead wood in the last window so theres serious scope for improvement within the squad, I wouldnt be shocked to see us spend big on 1 or 2 players and fill in the squad then with Conte style players to the tune of about £150m, City and Utd will do likewise, IMO.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but this video was the best explanation of Arsenal's finances that I've seen. They are in a good position, but don't have the bottomless pockets of Chelsea or City (due to the way they're run), or the commercial income of someone like United. They should still be doing better than they are, though.

Only in hindsight, which is unfair on the person making the decisions tbf

Plenty of us have been pointing out Wengers mistake as he makes them so we don't have the benefit of hindsight.
    Why would he join us on the same money????
    He wouldn't be. Give him the same wages as Wenger and he'd be getting £3.9M more than he is on now. I'm actually disappointed I had to explain that to you. :rolleyes:

Why does Usmanov have such little say or influence in the club when he owns 30%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nonsense. Its not as if Draxler was looking for 200k a week. Astonishingly he earns less than Theo Walcott.

I don't watch continental football but I hear a lot on these threads about Draxler.
    If he's that good then why are we persevering with Walcott if we can get him and he's willing to come for less money or even a bit more?
    It sounds like blind faith and mismanagement.

Draxler is at PSG now so that's a non-runner.

I said if.

• Advertisement

No it was in between 35-40 million but no more. Excellent player that can cause real problems out wide. A real old fashioned winger who has superb technique and can actually go by a player instead of just running in behind. Can also operate up front. If you watched Draxler and then watching Walcott and Ox out wide you would actually see how limited our lads are.

Maybe he didn't Want to join Arsenal???

Plenty of us have been pointing out Wengers mistake as he makes them so we don't have the benefit of hindsight.

He wouldn't be. Give him the same wages as Wenger and he'd be getting £3.9M more than he is on now. I'm actually disappointed I had to explain that to you. :rolleyes:

So right now, what mistakes would you sack him for?

Repeated failure to prepare the team for a title challenging season.

Not sure what UEFA regulations have to do with anything, it's not stopping Chelsea from winning things.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

And I reckon the gap has shortened more, Chelsea have sold off a lot of crap recently.

We're behind Chelsea in 4th

He would argue that his contract says European qualification

Big payout

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I got stick my 12 yr old son out there and he would show more ability than Walcott, get rid of him and there's an extra 100k a week to someone worth while

How would you "get rid"???

Who would buy him, his contract would have to be paid off otherwise

• Advertisement

The money regulations that came in. Chelsea have already been warned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Sending them out last week against Watford when they were not mentally ready.
    That was one of the most shocking things he has said for me.

ronjo wrote: »

One game? You'd sack him based on one game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We're behind Chelsea in 4th

Forget finances etc, and look at what was served up on the football pitch the last two games. Did the team look prepared tactically and mentally the last two matches? Did the team look like they were fighting for a title? Did Wenger get the maximum out of the team? Does it not feel like Groundhog Day all over again?

Did you hear Thierry Henry talking about that in the buildup to the game?

• Advertisement

Forget finances etc, and look at what was served up on the football pitch the last two games. Did the team look prepared tactically and mentally the last two matches? Did the team look like they were fighting for a title? Did Wenger get the maximum out of the team? Does it not feel like Groundhog Day all over again?

The title was gone before last week.

One game? You'd sack him based on one game

Where the f*ck have I said that????

Jesus Wept.

Every time a argument is countered the posts move.

I would say that 3 games in a week he got the best out of a weakened squad

Watford was the most disappointing, but I said earlier players hold the primary responsibility for their effort, Wenger's at fault to a lesser extent but I would t dismiss a manger over one or two results.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Did you hear Thierry Henry talking about that in the buildup to the game?

No, what did he say?

Where the f*ck have I said that????

Jesus Wept.

It was the question I posed, that was answered and you rebutted on

This one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The money regulations that came in. Chelsea have already been warned

No they havent.

City were fined, no other English clubs have been fined.

Every club was told they couldnt cheat UEFA FFP by making up sponsorship deals, although that didnt stop PSG and City who were then fined.

UEFA have forgot about FFP though it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The title was gone before last week.

No it wasn't, if they had beaten Watford and Chelsea they would be three points from the top of the table. :confused:

It was the question I posed, that was answered and you rebutted on

I generally dont pay attention to your questions but to answer the one below.

I dont think he should be fired. I think he should see out his contract until then end of the season and not sign a new one.

Multiquote on the phone would make this forum so much more readable

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement