Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Oh I agree 100%. The mental strength of this Arsenal team in unreal. If there is one team that are feared this season, it's Arsenal.

Pocket talk. Dont bet if you cant accept losing.

gandalf wrote: »
    Wenger at this stage is only the symptom, Kroenke is the true disease here. Until he is rooted out this will continue.

The money is there. We easily spent 30 million pounds on a young DMF in the summer. Its Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just watching motd. Costa with the most ridiculous dive that should have been a second yellow. And then he goes and scores the winner, how come we rarely get those kind of breaks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Just watching motd. Costa with the most ridiculous dive that should have been a second yellow. And then he goes and scores the winner, how come we rarely get those kind of breaks...

Was thinking exactly that!

We got a huge break tonight. Leicester had a stone wall penalty not given. Stop making excuses.

There is literally nothing in the world that would make me f*ck with Antonio Conte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Telegraph running with Mustafi to sign on Monday

Not making excuses as I had a game of my own and missed the arsenal match which is why I'm watching motd now. So take your condescending tone elsewhere

Not making excuses as I had a game of my own and missed the arsenal match which is why I'm watching motd now. So take your condescending tone elsewhere

You asked why dont we get them sort of breaks and I was merely stating we do. Hardly condesending.

• Advertisement

Has The Tuesday Club podcast just thrown in the towel altogether?

Motd now if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We got a huge break tonight. Leicester had a stone wall penalty not given. Stop making excuses.

Coquelin should have been sent off too.

There should be a rule that coq is subbed as soon as he gets a yellow as he's a liability . Stats say we had 5 shots on target but it didn't look like we created much there.

Olympic final gone to pens, is gnabry still on?

Olympic final gone to pens, is gnabry still on?

Yep

• Advertisement

Gnabry bangs in his peno

Just about.

Just about is right, poor enough pen but a goal nonetheless

Just about is right, poor enough pen but a goal nonetheless

Better'n Theo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Wenger " the fans are highly influenced by the media, and that's part of the process today"

NO, I'm paying the highest season ticket price in Europe and today we couldnt finish, no more excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There should be a rule that coq is subbed as soon as he gets a yellow as he's a liability . Stats say we had 5 shots on target but it didn't look like we created much there.

I disagree.

I reckon it's a bit of a myth invented by Arsenal fans. We just sh1t ourselves when he's on a yellow.

Stats say in 2 years, he's played 58 games, been booked 15 times and been sent off once.

This idea of hauling him off the minute he's booked makes no sense and isn't doing him justice.

Today he committed one foul while on a yellow and it wasn't that bad. Not every foul is a booking.

He's not a liability at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Andip wrote: »
    Wenger " the fans are highly influenced by the media, and that's part of the process today"

NO, I'm paying the highest season ticket price in Europe and today we couldnt finish, no more excuses

See this is the **** I hate with Wenger, I have said it before he is a condescending fcuk. He's pretty much saying to the fans your stupid the media has you brain washed.

He goads the fans all the time and that comes from knowing his job is the safest in all of football

Soups123 wrote: »
    See this is the **** I hate with Wenger, I have said it before he is a condescending fcuk. He's pretty much saying to the fans your stupid the media has you brain washed.

He goads the fans all the time and that comes from knowing his job is the safest in all of football

ha and this after you said yesterday that fans were stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I liked the look of wilshers Jib when he came on yesterday

Partner him with Xahaka in the middle next week

Ozil ahead of them with Giroud Up

gosplan wrote: »
    ha and this after you said yesterday that fans were stupid

I don't follow ? My point was about forcing change the volume that give a free pass?

I'm talking about Wenger being a condescending....... thinks he can tell all fans it's alright lads the media tells you what to do

I don't follow ? My point was about forcing change the volume that give a free pass?

I'm talking about Wenger being a condescending....... thinks he can tell all fans it's alright lads the media tells you what to do

Yeah, one person might say that he's criticizing the fans.

Someone else might say he was criticizing the media.

It just seems silly to call Wenger condescending and blame him for starting a civil war while telling other fans they're stupid and it's their fault.

It just seems silly to call Wenger condescending and blame him for starting a civil war while telling other fans they're stupid and it's their fault.

This thread is 90% agreed he should go, so no condescending comments aimed at the lads here.

But my point is we are not brave enough as a fan group to come together and drive him out, he should have been forced out end of season just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Arsenes comments this week have to spark something in people who still think he's the right man for the job in this era of football. I do not want Arsene Wenger worrying about how much he can spend on players based on how much Gladis in the Kitchen is getting per week. Its not his job. He is given a transfer budget that has nothing to do with the running of the rest of the club, and if he has been there so long that he thinks he does, it has to be changed.

And then to come out with tripe like "we are too influenced by the media", instead of the slowly but surely capitulating results of the last 10 years (and yes we've had some nice highs with the Fa Cup, but it was never what we were aiming for).

We are influenced by the shape and course of the game, it has absolutely turned into a silly money game of "buy the star, hope they play well", and we are profiting from the style of the sport right now in many ways - but deciding not to bother participating in its most thrilling endeavour - "buy the star, hope he plays well".

Look at zlats and pogba at Man utd. Pogba was crazy money, but he is already at the races and Ibras hunting around straight away. The jersey sales, the sponsorship, all of these things we know have granted us massive funds in the past are being completely overlooked for the one time outlay of Silly amounts of money.

Its seems like it was silly to be the fans of the club who werent getting "russian oil money", but playing the exact same corporate game without any of the enjoyment displayed on the pitch. (And I know we were getting American greed money instead).

Very frustrating comments from Wenger. i honestly thought when we got ozil and sanzhez we were on the road to something. Hope we are proved wrong by the end of the window.

The Campbell loan makes no sense. He delivered a lot last season and played a big part during the regular injury crisis, why ship him out at all and why ahead of others?

The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The Campbell loan makes no sense. He delivered a lot last season and played a big part during the regular injury crisis, why ship him out at all and why ahead of others?

The mind boggles

Making room for gnabry id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The mind boggles

For all we know he might have requested to go on loan, wouldn't blame him in the slightest either, must be soul destroying for him seeing Walcott get his game over him week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Campbells pretty average in fairness, just looked good compared to the rubbish we have out wide. We seriously must have the worst set of wingers that I have ever seen at the club with the exception of Alexis. Ox, Walcott, Campbell, Gnabry and Iwobi are all bench players. Id only have two in the squad (Ox and Iwobi) and maybe Gnabry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think he should just cut his losses and push for a permanent move. Wenger obviously doesnt trust him for some reason.

CqZDJuWW8AAM7Wf.jpg

Campbells pretty average in fairness, just looked good compared to the rubbish we have out wide. We seriously must have the worst set of wingers that I have ever seen at the club with the exception of Alexis. Ox, Walcott, Campbell, Gnabry and Iwobi are all bench players. Id only have two in the squad (Ox and Iwobi) and maybe Gnabry.

Hes better than average lets be fair. He was one of the best players in thast World Cup. If he was given the chances Walcott was given he would shine.

Hes better than average lets be fair. He was one of the best players in thast World Cup. If he was given the chances Walcott was given he would shine.

If he was one of the best players in the last world cup, we would have been offered £50m+ for him.

I think he played really well in their first match, that's about all I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Having paid particular attention to the Media's and the public's reaction to Arsene's comments absolutely everything he says is being met with suspicion, confusion and sometimes laughter.

I think he's almost completely lost the fans, the journo's are lining up to knock him down and the players are starting to question him. A few have already questioned his policy on transfers publicly. Just his comment on Holdings performance was on of the strangest things I've read.

Personally, Ive noticed how defensive he has become with all of his answers and sometimes he's plain condescending.

Everything is pointing to him leaving.

Just his comment on Holdings performance was on of the strangest things I've read.

To be fair to Wenger he was spot on what he said about Holding. If we paid 30 million plus for the kid and he played like he did yesterday the English media would be soiling there jocks and calling him the next Franco Baresi.

Wenger at this point is absolutely infuriating. Im his biggest critic on here and am disgusted at the way he has handled transfers, but when you look at the big picture, we actually played Leicester off the park yesterday, and Liverpool last week for the most part. Its just we lack that 30-40 goal a season striker. He needs to spend big on this area of the pitch, striker is number 1 priority imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger at this point is absolutely infuriating. Im his biggest critic on here and am disgusted at the way he has handled transfers, but when you look at the big picture, we actually played Leicester off the park yesterday, and Liverpool last week for the most part. Its just we lack that 30-40 goal a season striker. He needs to spend big on this area of the pitch, striker is number 1 priority imo.

We played good enough football against a poor enough team.
    We gave the ball away far too often and created very few clear chances.
    We also were lucky not to have Coq sent off and not to have a penalty or two given against us. If Mike Dean was reffing we would have lost for sure.

We need a striker and a CB badly plus we lack good wingers and our fullbacks can't cross to save their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Hi just joined this forum today and am a gunners fan for over 40 year and at this stage I am so disappointed with this present team and reading this forum you would think we had a decent team,
    Simple question how many of the present squad would get a game in the invincible team, I would reckon very few,
    Next question how many of the present bunch have the heart that Adams, big MARTIN, viera, petit, Berkamp when they wore the red jersey.
    The present team is made up of the manger buying all small handy players lacking back bone and as he says himself mental strength.
    And all the talk of strikers needed at the club, what i would love to see is a young Ian Wright who was a striker not a handbag like we have now and who would score when the chance was there not like the likes of Theo.

I would love to back in Highbury when the cry was one nil to the arsenal and that was a great feeling as the team was not lying down to be turned over like today's team.
    How I hate watching this team huff and buff and not driving through the other team and not be being soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Going to try get over for a game around the school halloween break to take my eldest boy, when will we know the champions league fixtures for that time, because the Spurs game is the only home game at that time, and I'm not sure I want to expose him to that hatred at such a tender age! Nor do I want him to see the inevitable defeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Hi just joined this forum today and am a gunners fan for over 40 year and at this stage I am so disappointed with this present team and reading this forum you would think we had a decent team,
    Simple question how many of the present squad would get a game in the invincible team, I would reckon very few,
    Next question how many of the present bunch have the heart that Adams, big MARTIN, viera, petit, Berkamp when they wore the red jersey.
    The present team is made up of the manger buying all small handy players lacking back bone and as he says himself mental strength.
    And all the talk of strikers needed at the club, what i would love to see is a young Ian Wright who was a striker not a handbag like we have now and who would score when the chance was there not like the likes of Theo.

I would love to back in Highbury when the cry was one nil to the arsenal and that was a great feeling as the team was not lying down to be turned over like today's team.
    How I hate watching this team huff and buff and not driving through the other team and not be being soft.

I'm afraid that was the pinnacle of being an Arsenal fan, it won't get any better. Take off the rose tinted, and put on the plain glass, we're f****d!

@johncrossmirror: Arsenal told Shkodran Mustafi will cost a staggering £50million as Valencia play hard-ball over German defender #afc mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-told-shkodran-mustafi-cost-8679579

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/767474568525180928

£50m? Just pay the money! :pac:

Basil3 wrote: »
    @johncrossmirror: Arsenal told Shkodran Mustafi will cost a staggering £50million as Valencia play hard-ball over German defender #afc mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-told-shkodran-mustafi-cost-8679579

https://twitter.com/johncrossmirror/status/767474568525180928

£50m? Just pay the money! :pac:

£50m? Fcuk that!

Just blow it all on a striker then.

Ozil, Sanchez, Coq, Kos

Vrs

Bergkamp, Freddie, Gilberto, toure

There's not much in that. Cech would get in too. Bellerin wouldn't but Sagna would have given Lauren a run for his money.

But the big issue is...

Henry is the best striker the PL has ever had, Ashley Cole the best LB, Vieira amoung the best CMF - perhaps just Keane and Toure up against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

emmetlego wrote: »
    Going to try get over for a game around the school halloween break to take my eldest boy, when will we know the champions league fixtures for that time, because the Spurs game is the only home game at that time, and I'm not sure I want to expose him to that hatred at such a tender age! Nor do I want him to see the inevitable defeat!
    Draw Thursday, fixtures confirmed either Thursday or Friday.

But just for clarity, we will not lose to Spurs. It's happening again......

Ozil, Sanchez, Coq, Kos

Vrs

Bergkamp, Freddie, Gilberto, toure

There's not much in that. Cech would get in too. Bellerin wouldn't but Sagna would have given Lauren a run for his money.

But the big issue is...

Henry is the best striker the PL has ever had, Ashley Cole the best LB, Vieira amoung the best CMF - perhaps just Keane and Toure up against him.
    Coq is not up to Gilberto's standard and would not get in the invincible a team.
    Sanchez on his first season form yes but not last year or so far this year so a no for me.

Ozil, Kos and Cech for me but none of them would be a shoe in.

Pudders wrote: »
    Coq is not up to Gilberto's standard and would not get in the invincible a team.
    Sanchez on his first season form yes but not last year or so far this year so a no for me.

Ozil, Kos and Cech for me but none of them would be a shoe in.

Yeah. I just wonder how much better Coq would look with all those players around him. But you're probably right.

yeah, there'd be no shoe-ins.

So thoughts on the Leicester away trip.

Fans were relatively muted compared to other trips.
    About 5% of the fans started chanting we want Wenger out only to be drowned out.
    When Xhaka was subbed the chant of you don't know what you are doing went up by I would say 75% of the fans. Coq was the obvious sub given his card.
    80% sang spend some ****ing money at the end.

On the train back it was mutinous. Wenger really didn't help himself in the press conferences by saying the fans are just influenced by the media and the 600 employee thing.

The sad thing is all the fans want is Wenger to address the obvious gaps. They actually were intelligent enough during the stadium debt/sell out best players to understand Wengers hands were tied and no one actually got on his back. It's the fact that they announced that the shackles we free yet last year and this year has been an utter shambles in the transfer market.

Wenger is a gentleman. He was innovative and brought so much great things to Arsenal. But he is past his sell by date either through arrogance, power or stubbornness brought on by old age. All the fans want is Arsenal to win.

But at the moment we are being told we are fools misled by the media with 200m sitting in the bank and in all honesty playing awful football. Last year there was only 3/4 games where Arsenal played the exciting brand of football we all know and love,

Its utterly depressing but it's of the clubs making.

If there is not some of this "transfer madness" ( which personally I don't expect), the Emirates is going to be toxic in his final year.

Ps Holding looks a star of the future. I had been told by a Bolton season ticket holder that if stones was worth 43m, holding should be worth more. He is an absolute steal at 2m. Did very well with the experienced head beside him. Still think we need a more experienced guy as we can' throw holding in too much too early .

And Xhaka looks class.

But up front we are like a toothless lion.

Why also not sell Joel as he clearly will never be given a chance in the future by Wenger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement