Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Has to be santi and xhaka in mid.

Some people wanted him on the bench. He's class.

Hopefully elneny doesn't get annoyed sitting on the bench.

He hasn't put a foot wrong, looks great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kos really showed he was our leader today. Controlled the defence and put his head where it was going to hurt.

And what a performance from Cazorla. Genius!

Maybe a little lucky to get away with the win but the new players got a good introduction to the team and we managed to cope despite a relatively poor performance from Ozil and a very poor one from Ox.

Now a win in Paris to really get our season started

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Has to be santi and xhaka in mid.

Some people wanted him on the bench. He's class.

Hopefully elneny doesn't get annoyed sitting on the bench.

He hasn't put a foot wrong, looks great.

Our problem is still goals, and Santi doesn't contribute for the last couple of seasons (bar peno's). Maybe Xhaka/Santi with Ozil in front, then a front 3 of Sanchez/Giroud/Lucas will be our strongest line-up.

The problem is when Ramsey is back. Wenger has him in our best starting 11, no question.

I guess with the lineup today, Wenger had one eye on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

we drew with the saints last season right?

Happy to get the 3 points today.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Our problem is still goals, and Santi doesn't contribute for the last couple of seasons (bar peno's). Maybe Xhaka/Santi with Ozil in front, then a front 3 of Sanchez/Giroud/Lucas will be our strongest line-up.

The problem is when Ramsey is back. Wenger has him in our best starting 11, no question.

I guess with the lineup today, Wenger had one eye on Tuesday.

Next Tuesday, combined with players returning from far and wide was always going to make selection a tricky business. He just about got away with it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So Tuesday goes

Xhaka - Elneny
    ????? - Ozil - Sanchez
    Giroud

gosplan wrote: »
    So Tuesday goes

Xhaka - Elneny
    ????? - Ozil - Sanchez
    Giroud

Why Elneny?

Relieved to get the win today and for a change i was glad not to see a Tipp man bulge the net. :)

Why Elneny?

Just a guess.

Away from home, more solid. Caz played 90 today. Xhaka can provide a lot of distribution allowing for a more robust CMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

gosplan wrote: »
    Just a guess.

Away from home, more solid. Caz played 90 today. Xhaka can provide a lot of distribution allowing for a more robust CMF.

At first I said WTF... But as I think of it, good idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Four games in a couple of changes in bold after todays match! League goals and assists in brackets. Looks like Santi is top for both at the moment :pac:

Goals
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Walcott (1) 1
    Chamberlain (1) 1
    Chambers (1) 1
    Sanchez (1) 1
    Ozil (1) 1
    Koscielny (1) 1

Assists
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Iwobi (1) 1
    Walcott (1) 1
    Sanchez (1) 1
    Perez (1) 1
    Where's kanu on that list? still our top scorer

Shearer 'it was never a penalty' .....:rolleyes: What a clown!

Four games in a couple of changes in bold after todays match! League goals and assists in brackets. Looks like Santi is top for both at the moment :pac:

Goals
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Walcott (1) 1
    Chamberlain (1) 1
    Chambers (1) 1
    Sanchez (1) 1
    Ozil (1) 1
    Koscielny (1) 1

Assists
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Iwobi (1) 1
    Walcott (1) 1
    Sanchez (1) 1
    Perez (1) 1

Perez the assist machine!

Have to say, I don't think Monreal has been performing well for quite a while. He seems to be given a load more leeway than Gibbs.

Just imagine if Gibbs gave away a needless free kick outside the box that led to a goal? He'd be crucified. There was no need for Monreal to leave his feet in that situation. He also got away with another needless foul on Long in what could have been a pretty dangerous area right near the end of the match.

On another note, I think it's fairly safe to say that the top 6 in the current league table will be the top 6 come the end of the season. Just need to sort the order now. Hasn't been a great start for us, but I think we're only -1 on corresponding fixtures last year.

Being reported widely that Alexis and Ozil are about to sign 5 year contract extensions

Brilliant news if it's true.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Being reported widely that Alexis and Ozil are about to sign 5 year contract extensions

Wow. That would really be fantastic for the club.

Also was pleasantly surprised by something on arseblog mentioning how much we missed the control and distribution of Xhaka yesterday.

After one good match he's already vital. Think he might just be the signing of the summer.

Reading such mixed reviews of mustafi yesterday from poor to brilliant.

Anyone got an opinion if they seen the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Anyone describing his performance yesterday as poor needs a lesson in football

He wasn't amazing but he gave a very good account of himself and gave signs he's the real deal

Soups123 wrote: »
    Anyone describing his performance yesterday as poor needs a lesson in football

He wasn't amazing but he gave a very good account of himself and gave signs he's the real deal

Cheers.

• Advertisement

I thought Mustafi was very good yesterday. He was constantly talking to Kos, and I can imagine this will be a fruitful partnership... What about that peach from Kos though? Brilliant finish!

Basil3 wrote: »
    Have to say, I don't think Monreal has been performing well for quite a while. He seems to be given a load more leeway than Gibbs.

Just imagine if Gibbs gave away a needless free kick outside the box that led to a goal? He'd be crucified. There was no need for Monreal to leave his feet in that situation. He also got away with another needless foul on Long in what could have been a pretty dangerous area right near the end of the match.

On another note, I think it's fairly safe to say that the top 6 in the current league table will be the top 6 come the end of the season. Just need to sort the order now. Hasn't been a great start for us, but I think we're only -1 on corresponding fixtures last year.

Agree his form does appear to be dropping but did he actually touch Redmond?

I suppose it does even out as he definitely caught Long in the challenge that eventually led to the penalty.

I thought Mustafi was very good yesterday. He was constantly talking to Kos, and I can imagine this will be a fruitful partnership... What about that peach from Kos though? Brilliant finish!

Excellent on the ball too.I think we could end up with the most cultured centre back pairing in the league

greendom wrote: »
    Excellent on the ball too.I think we could end up with the most cultured centre back pairing in the league

Only thing I can remember that he did wrong was a ball from the deep, straight to a Southampton player.

greendom wrote: »
    Agree his form does appear to be dropping but did he actually touch Redmond?

I suppose it does even out as he definitely caught Long in the challenge that eventually led to the penalty.

I dunno, think he lightly touched him. Point is that you shouldn't be flying in and going to ground in that position. It cost us a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mustafi was grand yesterday. Didn't do anything wrong, but it's not like the defence was under any sort of sustained pressure. Got on the ball a lot, and he seems to maraud forward a bit. Wasn't exposed so hopefully he knows when to do it (unlike Sideshow Bob over there).

This is bigger than any signing we could have hoped to make if true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Scraped a win yesterday, with a non peno IMO, but I will take it. It looks like the same lacklustre attitude that dogged the team last season. I hope the team picks up and gets with it. It will be very tough to make it into the top 4 this season as the 1,2,3 spots look like they are already booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Scraped a win yesterday, with a non peno IMO, but I will take it. It looks like the same lacklustre attitude that dogged the team last season. I hope the team picks up and gets with it. It will be very tough to make it into the top 4 this season as the 1,2,3 spots look like they are already booked.

If they are serious about getting rid of shirt pulling in the box then it's a pen all day long. It seems everyone was delighted to see refs finally start dealing with this plague on the game but yet when we get a decision it's soft. Just take shearer's reaction on MOTD last night. He was laughing at the call but probably because it was us........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I dont get the debate over the penalty, he was all over Giroud, its about time they are clamping down on this shirt pulling nonsense , its a blight on the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Shearer was right. It was never a penalty :rolleyes:

396670.jpg

:pac:

I'm very enthused about him. With young holding pushing him for a place we are in an ideal situation really

• Advertisement

Charizard wrote: »
    I dont get the debate over the penalty, he was all over Giroud, its about time they are clamping down on this shirt pulling nonsense , its a blight on the game

Admitting that it was a clear cut penalty doesn't fit in with the anti-Arsenal agenda/narrative of some of our 'skilled' pundits.

So Utd and Chelsea dropping points this weekend, us winning... Not a bad weekend at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

2 great funny stories , hard to believe parlour was on 300 quid a week compared to the lads these days :eek::eek:

Mr.Micro wrote: »

I don't buy that the top three places are booked at all.

Get stuck in. Win the next few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Quazzie wrote: »
    Shearer was right. It was never a penalty :rolleyes:

396670.jpg

:pac:
    After looking at this, how could I have got it so wrong, dam simulation needs to be stamped out of the game :mad:.........:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Clear penalty, I think the issue is that so many incidents like it go unpunished on a weekly basis so some could call it soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Clear penalty, I think the issue is that so many incidents like it go unpunished on a weekly basis so some could call it soft.

We are used to seeing them not given until this season where a few have been given.
    We'll take it as sometime we will deserve one but not get it. They tend to even out in the course of a season.

We do need to start upping the performances though. Two shots on target in a home match is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We never seem to play well after international breaks. Main thing is that we got the 3 points. Southampton are no mugs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's a real pity Lukaku isn't good enough for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

keano_afc wrote: »
    It's a real pity Lukaku isn't good enough for us.

It was Sunderland calm down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hard get excited about the PSG game when ultimately it means nothing. Never gonna win CL, money earned may or not be spent next year.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hard get excited about the PSG game when ultimately it means nothing. Never gonna win CL, money earned may or not be spent next year.

Meh.
    sure with that kind of thinking, what's the point of any one it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We might as well all just go home lads!

Shur only 5 or 6 teams have the potential to win it. We certainly don't.

Shur only 5 or 6 teams have the potential to win it. We certainly don't.

Does only winning matter?

mansize wrote: »

As opposed to coming 2nd in the group and being beaten by Bayern/Barca?

Only winning matters to me to be honest.
    Who remembers who came second?

Only winning matters to me to be honest.
    Who remembers who came second?

I do

• Advertisement

I do

Even in our golf roll-ups we give nothing for second.
    Winner takes all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement