Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ospina deserves his start tbf- this wasn't a game we were ever expected to win tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Dire first half.

Ox next to useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a mess. What's the system?

Have these players played together before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

coq a liability on a yellow , get Xhaka on asap for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

mansize wrote: »
    Ospina deserves his start tbf- this wasn't a game we were ever expected to win tbf

Why not? Apart from Ramsey we are more or less full strength, should be well able to compete with PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Has Mustafi got cement in his boots? Oxlade Chamberlain as well, offers nothing going forward.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    coq a liability on a yellow , get Xhaka on asap for him

Has to. We really need his passing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Thank fook its only one nil. Cmon Wenger get Giroud and Xhaka on.

Season has been a mess so far.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    It's a mess. What's the system?

Have these players played together before?

+1, no cohesion whatsoever but I dont understand the thinking behind the starting 11 anyway. I thought he rested Xhaka and Giroud against Southampton for this game. Its all been very stale so far, Ox out of his dept at this level imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm thoroughly depressed. We're such weaklings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We were pathetic in that half but luckily are still only one down mainly through Cavani's poor finishing.
    Wenger needs to freshen up midfield and get Giroud on up front.

Coq off for Xhaka and Ox off for Giroud with Sanches to the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why not? Apart from Ramsey we are more or less full strength, should be well able to compete with PSG

We ain't at that level IMHO

Ox next to useless.

What does Wenger see in this kid? Cant remember him having a great game in a good few years? Gets the ball in the final third and passes an easy 5 yard ball straight to Thiago Silva. Infuriating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I actually think Giroud on for Ox, with Sanchez to the wing and Elneny on for Coq. Elneny would protect the back 4 a bit better and drive forward better at the right time. He'd also allow Santi a bit more freedom. Giroud would be the outlet ball that we need too.

I'd do a double sub, but knowing Wenger, he may make only 1, or tweak our system and make none. Frustrating to concede so early. We were always going to be 2nd best away to PSG, but I didn't expect this much dominance from them. DiMaria is teaching us a few lessons in delivery and danger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Pathetic first half performance. Retarded team selection, Sanchez has played worse than I've ever seen him and we've 2 strikers on the bench. Typical.

mansize wrote: »
    We ain't at that level IMHO

PsG arent great. If we were playing anyways decent we would put these to the sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

For the big games we have to go with a three of Xhaka, Ramsey and ElNeny in the middle. Lots of energy in there. Santi is too slow for the big away games and Coquelin is just rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

we needed a top top player to improve on giroud. We didnt get one therefore he has to ****in play.

We are toothless up front without him as a focal point

If it was Mertesacker playing like Mustafi tonight he would be getting crucified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If it was Mertesacker playing like Mustafi tonight he would be getting crucified.

Harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

That's true but he is still on a grace period settling in etc.
    Ox is poisonous by the way.
    Giving up on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

1 nil only, we got caught out with their pace I seriously hope we step up in the 2nd half and please put in xhaka + Giroud or perez

Very good in the air. Not so good with anything else 1 and a half games in.

• Advertisement

Yes we've been poor, I'm not defending that, but some of the player slating here is comical and I'm hoping is meant as sarcasm, otherwise some chaps here just don't have a clue about football. Not one bit.

Ox excluded of course. He's just in a deep deep rut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

From what Ive seen Mustafi has been better than Kos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Na screw Giroud, he would not have done any better

Quazzie wrote: »
    From what Ive seen Mustafi has been better than Kos.

That plus practically zero protection from in front or the sides!!! The 2 CB's are facing an onslaught at times!

Had a chuckle at the BT Sports lads pointing out that Arsenal don't have a centre forward on the pitch when we got two on the bench.

What's with playing players out of position anyway? Understandable when faced with injury problems but Arsene just does it for some reason.

How long can he keep spoofing it?

• Advertisement

What does Wenger see in this kid? Cant remember him having a great game in a good few years? Gets the ball in the final third and passes an easy 5 yard ball straight to Thiago Silva. Infuriating stuff.

Ox had an awesome preseason, probably our best player, and got a nice goal against Liverpool.

Other than that, he's been fairly average, but I don't think he stands out bring particularly worse than everyone else. Santi misplaced passes, no control. Sanchez giving the ball away every time he gets it, our back four combining forces to allow the goal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

We've been getting corners I'm pretty sure Giroud will get most of those headers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Cavani is laughable. he has the finish of Giroud

Season has been a mess so far.

Wenger has become the master of disaster really.A sh*t season may be just the ticket as we are going nowhere under him and need a change. We seemingly have no striker whatsoever out there. No one in the box. No power in midfield. Iwobi is the best of them and knowing Wenger he will probably be the first to get the curly finger.

Ferocious pace to the game tonigh and we are up against the likes of Krychowiak, Matuidi, Rabiot, and Veratti who have considerable power also. both and Xhaka left on the bench is utterly criminal and Giroud should be started too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

For the big games we have to go with a three of Xhaka, Ramsey and ElNeny in the middle. Lots of energy in there. Santi is too slow for the big away games and Coquelin is just rubbish.

I swore he was resting Xhaka for this. Guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Been busy the last few weeks so first live match of the season for me. I suspected from the highlights and updates from out previous matches that we haven't been great but we have been worse than I could have imagined today.

Mustafi is having a nightmare. Ox is doing nothing as usual. The rest playing below average.

Don't understand this team selection. Is this our first choice 11 from who's available? I wouldn't say so.

Also I don't know why we ever play Sanchez up front because it just doesn't work. Never has and never will. Giroud on for ox at half time at the very least

Monreal has been poor this season but Iwobi is infuriating. Letting Aurier go every single time. Did the same with Clyne against Liverpool on the first game. If he aint going to track back, he should be hooked.

Wenger has become the master of disaster really.A sh*t season may be just the ticket as we are going nowhere under him and need a change. We seemingly have no striker whatsoever out there. No one in the box. No power in midfield. Iwobi is the best of them and knowing Wenger he will probably be the first to get the curly finger.

Ferocious pace to the game tonigh and we are up against the likes of Krychowiak, Matuidi, Rabiot, and Veratti who have considerable power also. both and Xhaka left on the bench is utterly criminal and Giroud should be started too.

In Wenger we trust :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

lucky its only 1 nil lads , if Wenger uses whatever bit of a brain he has we might nick the draw !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

A bad start to the season is starting to become a trait of this team. Can't remember the last good start we have had.

• Advertisement

No changes at HT, probably wont see a sub until 65 or so mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

69 minutes usually. People are always confused as to why. It's Arsene's favourite number.

We cant afford to have any of our subs injured :D

Much better here.

Much better here.

Really?? 3 minutes in??

I give up, I really do

Coq in the box

emmetlego wrote: »
    Really?? 3 minutes in??

I give up, I really do

Wtf? We have started much better? Am I wrong?

Doing a good job of getting the ball off them

We'll get a draw out of this if we make the right changes.
    This lot aren't great.

• Advertisement

should be a yellow there for Di Maria

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement