Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Pudders wrote: »
    If there is not some of this "transfer madness" ( which personally I don't expect), the Emirates is going to be toxic in his final year.

the only "madness" that will happen this season is the fact that Wenger will be in charge until may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Gilberto was a serious bit of stuff, who just done his job and made it simple fot the rest of the team, coq is ok but does some silly tackles, which I allow is down to poor ball retention by others and lack of fight and he has to redeem for this poor effort by team mates.
    Coq only earned his chance by injuries to the team, arsene has ruined a huge amount of super young talent by being stubborn and persisting with the likes of Theo etc and at this point who would sign Theo, you would have to put him in a lucky bag to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

gosplan wrote: »
    Ozil, Sanchez, Coq, Kos

Vrs

Bergkamp, Freddie, Gilberto, toure

There's not much in that. Cech would get in too. Bellerin wouldn't but Sagna would have given Lauren a run for his money.

But the big issue is...

Henry is the best striker the PL has ever had, Ashley Cole the best LB, Vieira amoung the best CMF - perhaps just Keane and Toure up against him.

I would have the Denis any day over Ozil as Denis was a winner and a God with the ball and had a little bit of nastiness.
    Freddie and Gilberto and I would have kos over toure for ball skill.

The big issue we have a poor team that is not being strengthened by our manager, who wants to defi the odds and win it his way and be able to say I showed everybody.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

€50m for Mustafi now eh? We aren't signing anyone are we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So thoughts on the Leicester away trip.

Fans were relatively muted compared to other trips.
    About 5% of the fans started chanting we want Wenger out only to be drowned out.
    When Xhaka was subbed the chant of you don't know what you are doing went up by I would say 75% of the fans. Coq was the obvious sub given his card.
    80% sang spend some ****ing money at the end.

On the train back it was mutinous. Wenger really didn't help himself in the press conferences by saying the fans are just influenced by the media and the 600 employee thing.

The sad thing is all the fans want is Wenger to address the obvious gaps. They actually were intelligent enough during the stadium debt/sell out best players to understand Wengers hands were tied and no one actually got on his back. It's the fact that they announced that the shackles we free yet last year and this year has been an utter shambles in the transfer market.

Wenger is a gentleman. He was innovative and brought so much great things to Arsenal. But he is past his sell by date either through arrogance, power or stubbornness brought on by old age. All the fans want is Arsenal to win.

But at the moment we are being told we are fools misled by the media with 200m sitting in the bank and in all honesty playing awful football. Last year there was only 3/4 games where Arsenal played the exciting brand of football we all know and love,

Its utterly depressing but it's of the clubs making.

If there is not some of this "transfer madness" ( which personally I don't expect), the Emirates is going to be toxic in his final year.

Great stuff Pudders.

What bugs me ... And I think this will be the really damning thing ... Is that Wenger tried to buy Vardy and tried to buy Lacazette.

He had basically said 'we need a striker' so if we don't buy anyone, it's not about the 'right player' or 'an internal solution'.

It's literally because they didn't want to stump up the cash.

That's what will send even the most patient fans over the edge. It can only be because we didn't want to spend money that's sitting in the bank.

50m?!

No chance that's happening. None whatsoever.

Get a bloody striker in for that money. Kos, Holding, Chambers and Gibbs will do until Gabriel and Mert are back on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

50m?!

Get a bloody striker in for that money. Kos, Holding, Chambers and Gibbs will do until Gabriel and Mert are back on their feet.

Completely our fault that Valencia are asking for that much.

Let's just let our problem areas go unchanged this summer and pretend that it was impossible to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

50M though is taking the piss.

but again because of our "policy" in the market this stuff happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

50m?!

He won't pay that for the class of striker available either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No way will Wenger pay that money, it's about double what I reckon our highest bid for Mustafi has been.

• Advertisement

I reckon that 50 million is just hardball by Valencia.

They're not asking that much for a transfer, they're saying 'no transfer' and his buyout clause happens to be 50.

But if he's been training separately and set up from a transfer, Arsenal can obviously move it if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ps Holding looks a star of the future. I had been told by a Bolton season ticket holder that if stones was worth 43m, holding should be worth more. He is an absolute steal at 2m. Did very well with the experienced head beside him. Still think we need a more experienced guy as we can' throw holding in too much too early .

And Xhaka looks class.

But up front we are like a toothless lion.

Why also not sell Joel as he clearly will never be given a chance in the future by Wenger.

maybe becuase we can't find a buyer for him?

The defender thing will happen I think but with my most tolerant, patient and pro-Wenger hat on, I'll say that if he doesn't come out of this window with a striker, then he can kindly go and fcuk himself.

Fcuk all the 'servant to the club' stuff. Fcuk all the 'was great once'.

If we don't get a striker, the ONLY reason is because he didn't want to part with what it would cost.

Jamie Vardy was good enough so he knows that plenty of other players are, he just rathers having the money in the bank.

He can actually go and fcuk himself and get someone in that the fans deserve.

And there is no pro-Wenger argument that can be made to counter it. He wants a striker, we have the money.

I'm fine with waiting till the end of the window. I'm fine with doing the transfer thing his way but if he refuses to buy any striker with the opinion himself that we need one then he should fcuk off and put someone in who will at least try.

And fcuk going upstairs too as a DOF, just fcuk off completely and let other people get on with at least trying to win football games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

he'd be a disaster as a DOF, nobody would be signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    he'd be a disaster as a DOF, nobody would be signed

Ya id imagine so too.

He'd have to be moved on. Coudn't have him at the club in any fashion as his cloud would be hanging over the new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

So a sh1t start, most of us were expecting it anyway, we shouldn't have any problems with our next 3 prem league fixtures, 10 points after 5 games is ok-ish anything less and it's a really bad start.

I don't think we're signing anyone and realistically with our squad and more importantly manager, we'd be lucky with 4th considering how the others have strengthened, so it's another season of top 4 ups and downs... Anything more is a plus but really we should have been finished with this top 4 crap a few years ago.

With the resources we have available we should be challenging for the league. It would seem that has to wait a few more years just yet.

The club is all about the employees, though. Glad Wenger can still pay them.

https://twitter.com/JIMBOGOON/status/767326045011841024

We'll probably beat enough of the poorer teams but the games against the bigger teams will see us get torn apart.

So a sh1t start, most of us were expecting it anyway, we shouldn't have any problems with our next 3 prem league fixtures, 10 points after 5 games is ok-ish anything less and it's a really bad start.

I don't think we're signing anyone and realistically with our squad and more importantly manager, we'd be lucky with 4th considering how the others have strengthened, so it's another season of top 4 ups and downs... Anything more is a plus but really we should have been finished with this top 4 crap a few years ago.

With the resources we have available we should be challenging for the league. It would seem that has to wait a few more years just yet.

How sure are you that all our problems would disappear once Wenger goes?

I wonder how much scapegoating Arsene is doing for the real elephant in the room - Kroenke. Wenger has huge sway at the club, no doubt about that, but he doesn't hold the purse-strings.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

I wonder how much scapegoating Arsene is doing for the real elephant in the room - Kroenke. Wenger has huge sway at the club, no doubt about that, but he doesn't hold the purse-strings.

How sure are you that I said all of our problems would disappear if Wenger left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Coq is not up to Gilberto's standard and would not get in the invincible a team.
    Sanchez on his first season form yes but not last year or so far this year so a no for me.

Ozil, Kos and Cech for me but none of them would be a shoe in.

Not sure Cech would get in either.
    He's made plenty of mistakes playing for us.

What makes people so certain that Kronke is the problem and not Wenger?

I think we're dealing with the most stubborn man in football. No way would he be doing any scapegoating by going against what he believed was right for the team just to protect an American investor from possible fan backlash.

Wenger has total control. The board saying 'the money is there' is basically them publically absolving themselves of responsibility for this. I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger was a bit peeved by them saying that as it weakens his hand in transfers.

And obviously all our problems won't be solved if Wenger goes. He has about 10 days left for me and if he doesn't get anything done then, I think it's time to own up to the fact that he cannot solve our problems either. Someone else probably won't, but he definitly won't.

I mean, can anyone give me a single reason why we'd keep 200 million in the bank insted of buying a striker?

You think one day Greizmann or someone will just magically become available and Real, Chelsea, City, Utd, Barca, PSG will all just happpen not to be interested?

It'll be just like when both us and Liverpool were in for Sanchez.

Keeping a load of money aside to buy first tier players is usless because first tier players don't join second tier clubs.

Transfers are all Wenger. He is our DOF and no way is he ruining the final years of his career covering for someone.

As i see it

3 years ago: tried to buy Suarez and Higuain. Botched it and came out with Ozil. Fair enough, could have gone better.

2 years ago: needed goals, bought Sanchez. Fair enough. Giroud got injured so bought Welbeck as cover

1 year ago: very few strikers available, Walcott looked decent as a forward option till injury, Sanchez scoring a lot, welbeck had looked good and giroud available again. I'm actually OK with the 'internal solution' idea here.

This summer: Our only acceptable striking option is Giroud and he's not good enough. Welbeck is gone and the other two have shown they're not up to the task. There are now NO other options but to buy a striker. NONE.

Transfers are all Wenger. He is our DOF and no way is he ruining the final years of his career covering for someone.

As i see it

3 years ago: tried to buy Suarez and Higuain. Botched it and came out with Ozil. Fair enough, could have gone better.

2 years ago: needed goals, bought Sanchez. Fair enough. Giroud got injured so bought Welbeck as cover

1 year ago: very few strikers available, Walcott looked decent as a forward option till injury, Sanchez scoring a lot, welbeck had looked good and giroud available again. I'm actually OK with the 'internal solution' idea here.

This summer: Our only acceptable striking option is Giroud and he's not good enough. Welbeck is gone and the other two have shown they're not up to the task. There are now NO other options but to buy a striker. NONE.

But Wenger is the one saying that he will spend big if the quality is there AND then coming out saying it is not there. Its contradictory. He keeps mentioning 300 million but something tells me this is a bluff and that the money is not there at all. The only people happy at Arsenal at the moment imo are the Board, Wenger and the shareholders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

As a non-Arsenal fan I can't see why they have never signed Carlos Bacca. One of the best strikers in the world available for 30 million. Should of signed him when he left Sevilla on a free but would still be a great signing for 2 or 3 seasons now.

Wenger has total control. The board saying 'the money is there' is basically them publically absolving themselves of responsibility for this. I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger was a bit peeved by them saying that as it weakens his hand in transfers.

It's not that simple. This summer, Wenger has repeatedly said the money is there, and it's Gazidis who has been saying we can't compete with the big boys financially.

But Wenger is the one saying that he will spend big if the quality is there AND then coming out saying it is not there. Its contradictory. He keeps mentioning 300 million but something tells me this is a bluff and that the money is not there at all. The only people happy at Arsenal at the moment imo are the Board, Wenger and the shareholders.

I wouldn't listen to him in interviews to be honest.

He'll be defined by any further transfers made in the window and I'd hold off judgement on this window until then.

He has basically admitted that Lacazette is of good enough quality for this team.

what I'd say is happening is,

1: Wenger wanted a good-priced solution to the goals problem: Lacazette & Vardy bid for.
    2: Those didn't work out and it became apparant that for those type of players, it'd cost a lot more.
    3: Wenger knows there's more than one way to skin a cat. For example adding someone like Payet would do a lot for our goals scored figure too. Plus if you're spending 60 million on Lacazette, why not 70 on Abeumeyang?
    4: wait and see

What's crucial for me and why I think something will happen, is that Wenger has admitted that we need an attacker and he's shown himself willing to spend 40 million or so on it.

The last time this happened we didn't get a striker but came away with Ozil. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happened this time.

How sure are you that I said all of our problems would disappear if Wenger left?

you could just tell me rather than let me explain your thought processes to you !

I imagine you know them better than I do !:)

I'm just saying problems we have won't magically disappear when Wenger goes

• Advertisement

you could just tell me rather than let me explain your thought processes to you !

I imagine you know them better than I do !:)

I never said it, yet you manipulate it, it's annoying. Most people want Wenger gone the reasons are obvious. Will that all of a sudden fix everything? No obviously not but it's a start.

I never said it, yet you manipulate it, it's annoying. Most people want Wenger gone the reasons are obvious. Will that all of a sudden fix everything? No obviously not but it's a start.

you said we wouldn't win the league for a few years. I presumed you meant once Wenger had gone. I think the person really stopping the club from progressing will still be in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wouldn't listen to him in interviews to be honest.

He'll be defined by any further transfers made in the window and I'd hold off judgement on this window until then.

He has basically admitted that Lacazette is of good enough quality for this team.

what I'd say is happening is,

1: Wenger wanted a good-priced solution to the goals problem: Lacazette & Vardy bid for.
    2: Those didn't work out and it became apparant that for those type of players, it'd cost a lot more.
    3: Wenger knows there's more than one way to skin a cat. For example adding someone like Payet would do a lot for our goals scored figure too. Plus if you're spending 60 million on Lacazette, why not 70 on Abeumeyang?
    4: wait and see

What's crucial for me and why I think something will happen, is that Wenger has admitted that we need an attacker and he's shown himself willing to spend 40 million or so on it.

The last time this happened we didn't get a striker but came away with Ozil. I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happened this time.
    To be perfectly honest, waiting till the end of the transfer window to make a judgement is already too late. We've dropped 5 points already. How many more will be dropped because we failed to get our buying done early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its a long way from Hill Wood & Dein...

My fear would be that even if Wenger goes, his replacement could be a patsy for the board.

There's no doubt that Wenger has a big say in transfers & potentially fees, but I don't believe he's involved in salary etc & its my guess that's what killed the Vardy deal. Not sure if any of you have ever read Harry Redknapps' book - gives a really good insight into how 'most' clubs do their business.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's not that simple. This summer, Wenger has repeatedly said the money is there, and it's Gazidis who has been saying we can't compete with the big boys financially.

That's not what Gazidas said though.

He said we can't make mistakes, we can't try and simply outsepnd people, that we have to be self-sustaining.

Not that we can't afford transfer fees.

Edit: here's his quote in full

'We would not be successful if we simply went out into the transfer market and tried to outgun our competitors. We’re run in a self-sustaining way, and a way that we believe in, because we believe it gives us certainty for the future, and enables us to plan our future with confidence. That means we can’t afford to make huge mistakes in the transfer market. We can’t afford to outgun competitors that have far more money to splurge on transfer fees than we do. So we have to be very careful, very selective about how we do things.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If theres even a small a hint of truth in that then Wenger is a bigger fool than I thought

Quazzie wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, waiting till the end of the transfer window to make a judgement is already too late. We've dropped 5 points already. How many more will be dropped because we failed to get our buying done early

That's results based thinking though.

Those two games may have been won or lost either way. Of course better players would have helped but you can't just assume that if Wenger had his business done, we'd be on six points. Equally, if we won those games, you couldn't turn around and say 'no, need for players now'.

There are many calculated risks. If one of Wengers was not overpaying for Lacazette because something much better might come along and leave the team in a better position for the next few years rather than weeks, then regardless of what happens and how that works out, that's a decision made then and there.

I can see why it pissed people off but I'll leave that with Wenger and trust him to make the right decision at the time.

We may end up with Lacazette for more anyway and people will say 'why didn't we do that in the first place' but that's not really the point. The point is to try and do the best for the club. it may work out and it mmay not but the end of the window is the only time you can fully judge the window for me.

Right now, I'm giving Wenger the benefit of the doubt, that he has backup plans he'll overpay for but is holding out for something better, a better way to use our substantial ... but not unlimited ... funds. As long as he gets it down by thhe end of the window I'll be Ok with that.

Based on how Lacazette has started his season for Lyon, holding out for him will prove costly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Agree regarding the striker, but not buying a seasoned CB is criminal, and but for Holding settling really much better than expected and Kos playing through a back injury, we would be completely screwed!

Just pay the 50 and get Mustafi ffs!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Agree regarding the striker, but not buying a seasoned CB is criminal, and but for Holding settling really much better than expected and Kos playing through a back injury, we would be completely screwed!

Just pay the 50 and get Mustafi ffs!

We've been in that situation before with our defence and we didn't buy then.
    Wenger will brazen it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Dots1982 wrote: »
    As a non-Arsenal fan I can't see why they have never signed Carlos Bacca. One of the best strikers in the world available for 30 million. Should of signed him when he left Sevilla on a free but would still be a great signing for 2 or 3 seasons now.

Bacca is not technically good enough for an Arsene team. Good striker who is strong and quick and can finish.....but even comparing him to Giroud or Welbeck he is technically inferior. Maybe he would be a good option but Arsene would never sign him.

I woudnt touch Bacca, hes a bit of a mess at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Basil3 wrote: »

Lads,

Its Paul Brady.

'The answer is nobody knows'

Kirby wrote: »
    Bacca is not technically good enough for an Arsene team. Good striker who is strong and quick and can finish.....but even comparing him to Giroud or Welbeck he is technically inferior. Maybe he would be a good option but Arsene would never sign him.

Isnt that what we want though? A finisher, someone who can poke the ball home from 5 yards out, we create plenty of chances but our finishing does let us down, although I fully agree, Wenger would never sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yup. As i said he sounds like a good option but Wenger is just never going to sign those type of players. Or atleast he was an option. I think he is on a long term deal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The think you've got to remember is that Bacca is scoring well with a really terrible team around him. He had to partner up with Balotelli last season FFS. But a really terrible midfield as well. I watch him a lot and he really doesn't miss much.

You're right about the technical thing I'd say but it's a mistake for me.

So Balague has said Mustafi is staying in Valencia.

Great news! Expect the medical midweek. That's the defensive signing in the bag. Now onto the striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Balague is a charlatan, I'll wait until someone reliable to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So Balague has said Mustafi is staying in Valencia.

Great news! Expect the medical midweek. That's the defensive signing in the bag. Now onto the striker.

I'm definitely a spend the fcukin money man and a pay the €5m on top Prem fee but I'd have no concerns with Wenger pulling the plug if the only way is to pay €50m he is worth nowhere near that

I'd rather Jonny Evans

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm definitely a spend the fcukin money man and a pay the €5m on top Prem fee but I'd have no concerns with Wenger pulling the plug if the only way is to pay €50m he is worth nowhere near that

I'd rather Jonny Evans

Jonny Evans wouldn't be such a bad purchase. Just look at Otamendi and Mangala to see that adapting to the Premier League as a centre back is not that easy. Jonny has been there and done that so I wouldn't be too unhappy if he arrived.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement