Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

We got away with that one really lads. I think the team selection proved to be poor from the start, but moreso the tactics seemd a bit all over the place.

At times we were full on pressing, at times we were completely sitting off and watching them pass. Coquelin was trying to poach in the box for the end of the first half, and ozil really wasn't purring tonight. Fair play to Ospina for stepping up, we have all seen him do well before so no surprise there. Iwobi too really stood out when the rest of our team were capitulating.

Was Perez injured for tonight? i just don't understand what the fitness and resting ideas were tonight. Play Cazorla, recently out with a massive injury after playing them 4 days ago, but dont risk Perez and leave sanchez in his better position? And why not play xhaka? These are the games we bought these players for.

Im happy we managed a point and it will stand to us come the end of the group, but again it throws into question our point in competing at this level if its always going to be such an uphill battle. We showed in the second half that PSG could be taken and still couldnt finish it. Disappointed to see we havent figured out how to up the tempo for games that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm confused as fück. Watching the replay the ref definitely gave a straight red, but all the sites and apps have it as a second yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Quazzie wrote: »
    It seems I was wrong. It was a straight red. Absolute madnesa
    If it was a stright red then I think that means we can appeal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I still swear I saw him pull a yellow out first.
    mansize wrote: »
    Well the Ospina criticism was wrong and we don't know why players don't start

V harsh on Giroubd
    What a generic, nothing statement. We might as well not discuss football ever if that's your stance.

Giroud? :confused:

Didn't even mention him, he should have started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

An early goal really insets a team's rhythm tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

We were pi$$ poor tonight, which wasn't helped by the crazy team selection. If Walcott gets dogs abuse, then ox should aswell. He offers nothing only the ability to give the ball away. I'd say that's the only time a team has gotten a result playing without a midfield for 70 mins because coqzorla were invisible

I still swear I saw him pull a yellow out first.

What a generic, nothing statement. We might as well not discuss football ever if that's your stance.

Giroud? :confused:

Didn't even mention him, he should have started.

I was referring to his so- I went back and clarified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm confused as fück. Watching the replay the ref definitely gave a straight red, but all the sites and apps have it as a second yellow.

Me too.

Then again, age isn't on my side.

What were we talking about again? Oh yes, the 50's. A great decade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Says 2 yellows on flash score? I thought it was a straight red myself. Outrageous if thats a straight red.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Says 2 yellows on flash score? I thought it was a straight red myself. Outrageous if thats a straight red.

Even as a yellow it's harsh

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Me too.

I don't even know the 70's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Me too.

1850's or 1950's?

Gringo180 wrote: »

Watch the replays he was pushed into veratti

We are top of the group in alphabetical order!

Fcuk you AFC Bournemouth, fcuk you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That was a very poor display. Paris could of been out of sight by the time we scored.

1 point tonight is an absolute blessing.

Hull away next at 3pm on Saturday.

Giroud gets a yellow before his red. Wow, YouTube/UEFA very efficient at blocking my copyrighted footage :D

1850's or 1950's?

Wrong on both...

I AM BENJAMIN BUTTON!

Wrong on both...

I AM BENJAMIN BUTTON!

Benjy from the Riordans more like... :pac:

https://streamable.com/049k

Definitely a yellow first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

And with our first trek into Europe, we have one small change. League Goals and Assists in brackets with totals on the right.

Goals
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Sanchez (1) 2
    Walcott (1) 1
    Chamberlain (1) 1
    Chambers (1) 1
    Ozil (1) 1
    Koscielny (1) 1

Assists
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Iwobi (1) 1
    Walcott (1) 1
    Sanchez (1) 1
    Perez (1) 1

• Advertisement

Auld robot wars has no sympathy for Giroud there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Worth Appealing?

newbie2 wrote: »
    Worth Appealing?

Can't appeal second yellows I think.

No- there was contact. Nothing doing.

Maybe Wenger also deserves credit for not starting hothead Giroud against a French side that knew how to push his buttons

Ref was very rash but yellows do come easier in the UCL. Giving him a yellow to his back was lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

The the most frustrating thing is, from what the commentators were saying at least, it seemed Marquinhos was the most serious offence as he runs over and pushed Giroud off the ball, yet he gets nothing. Farcical.

https://streamable.com/049k

Definitely a yellow first

Worth noting that we don't even see what got either sent off. It was after that incident I believe.

Worth noting that we don't even see what got either sent off. It was after that incident I believe.

https://streamable.com/9maq

When i saw it first on a stream which wasn't great i thought Giroud body-checked Veratti. Not so sure now.

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »

Ah jaysis

Only player that should have got booked there is Marquinhos

If someone knifes someone then calls an ambulance there's some on here who'd have nothing but praise for them.

If someone knifes someone then calls an ambulance there's some on here who'd have nothing but praise for them.

???

Et tu Brutas?

I'm not saying he's infallible but he has a far better understanding of his players than we do- you at least agree with that???

He may well have but tonight he picked the wrong starting eleven and that's for sure.

• Advertisement

He may well have but tonight he picked the wrong starting eleven and that's for sure.

Have to agree fully. Would love to know the reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Giroud always gets a hard time - everyone else seems to get more leeway
    Guess its because hes just better looking than everyone else. His cross to carry :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Have to agree fully. Would love to know the reasoning.

I thought it was to sit back with Coquelin protecting the defence but he was often our most forward midfielder and the team was extremely open at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Decent result, but a very poor performance. On another day against a striker that can actually finish we would have got a hiding. They got in behind our back 4 for fun today and wasted some pretty good chances, but for bad finishing and Ospina pulling off a few saves. Ox was poor, as was Ozil and Sanchez can't play up top on his own.

Tbh as a few posters have said in this thread already, I don't think Wenger has picked or even knows his strongest team yet. We have made countless changes to the starting lineup in every game so far and as a result we haven't played with a fluidity or any cohesion yet. We need a settled team for the upcoming premier league games and try and get some chemistry back in the side.

I can't really complain about the result, as it will be the toughest game in the group by far. We have three games in the group stages before we meet PSG again, so a great chance to get qualified with a couple of games to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Giroud completely changed our forward play when he came on. The attack was very confused without him

• Advertisement

Sanchez has really been going backwards since 2 seasons ago for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I don't think Wenger has picked or even knows his strongest team yet.

I think he does, but that he doesn't to make too many changes too soon. Wenger has always prioritized stability and maintaining over introducing new faces, hence why Xhaka and Elneny have been blooded slowly, and Lucas will be the same.

Look at how vulnerable Cavani made our new CB pairing at times. Mustafi isn't used yet to how Kos likes to step up like that and kept leaving far too much space between them. Add a new midfield on top of that who might be unsure of who goes and who drops? It could have been an unmitigated disaster.

In contrast, when we were attacking in the second half, playing quick passes and making darting runs between the lines the stability really showed, broadly speaking everyone knew where to expect each other.

I think people are trying to draw too many conclusions from Wenger's line up. The main thing to take away tonight is how the team ground out the result. In the previous few seasons our discipline would have collapsed if we'd been torn apart like we were in those initial stages of the game.

I think he does, but that he doesn't to make too many changes too soon. Wenger has always prioritized stability and maintaining over introducing new faces, hence why Xhaka and Elneny have been blooded slowly, and Lucas will be the same.

Look at how vulnerable Cavani made our new CB pairing at times. Mustafi isn't used yet to how Kos likes to step up like that and kept leaving far too much space between them. Add a new midfield on top of that who might be unsure of who goes and who drops? It could have been an unmitigated disaster.

In contrast, when we were attacking in the second half, playing quick passes and making darting runs between the lines the stability really showed, broadly speaking everyone knew where to expect each other.

I think people are trying to draw too many conclusions from Wenger's line up. The main thing to take away tonight is how the team ground out the result. In the previous few seasons our discipline would have collapsed if we'd been torn apart like we were in those initial stages of the game.

a very reasoned thought out post... on an arsenal thread...

You lost mate? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Great result on a night where they could have been absolutely annihilated.

71694769.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We got away with it though. We are lucky that most of their chances fell to probably the most overrated striker ever to play the game. The team selection was dire, and the players got Wenger out of jail big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

keano_afc wrote: »
    The team selection was dire, and the players got Wenger out of jail big time.

Is that not a paradox ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As poor as the performance was, the result leaves us genuinely in the driving seat to top the group. Starting with a point away to the top seeds is on paper an excellent start, up to the team to build on it now...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is that not a paradox ?

Absolutely not. The draw was in spite of Wenger, not because of him. Coquelin was our furthest player forward at times. Is that his strength? As a result Cazorla was outnumbered in midfield. Chamberlain is woefully out of form but was picked.

As I said, if they had a half decent striker we would have been dead and buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know its not his gig but Coq got into some good positions yesterday, if only he could score. Why was he so far forward at times though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement