Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    I know its not his gig but Coq got into some good positions yesterday, if only he could score. Why was he so far forward at times though?

Would Wenger really have asked him to take up such positions - bizarre if he did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Hopeless. PSG could have been 3 up by half time and 5 by full time, only for Ospina. The talent we have in the team and what we get is apathy. The common denominator is Wenger, the problem IMO. The team looks to me like it's in stasis, waiting for a new manager. Expect more of the same, rinse and repeat through the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

1-1 away to PSG in the CL is a good result.

The team selection was absolutely baffling, Ospina made some good saves towards the end to cover up for his earlier mistake but why is he playing CL games?? Surely we should be using him in cups and some PL games and keeping Cech (Our no.1) for the big ones.

That said Cech hasn't been great as of late and Ospina kind of dug Wenger out of a hole. Our wings are laughable and i'm sorry but when your team has been in desperate need of an actual striker and you buy one, you do not leave him on the bench along with our no.1 Striker while playing a winger up front who has been absolutely terrible anytime he plays there.

PSG were not great last night and Cavani missed some absolute sitters so we really were lucky despite a better performance in the second half. If we were organised and had a game plan we would have won that game 2 or 3 to nothing. It's infuriating but I will be told to be happy with a point, as usual.

greendom wrote: »
    Would Wenger really have asked him to take up such positions - bizarre if he did

Do you remember Song?
    Used to do it all the time.

Wenger cannot be that stupid, he gives too much creative freedom to not very creative players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd find it tough to fault Ospina for the goal last night, certainly he had some blame to take, but that first half was a total failure from the entire team.

I don't know, I have a soft spot for Ospina I think, not even too sure why. I do think he's class.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd find it tough to fault Ospina for the goal last night, certainly he had some blame to take, but that first half was a total failure from the entire team.

I don't know, I have a soft spot for Ospina I think, not even too sure why. I do think he's class.

I don't think many are blaming him for the 1st goal are they? It was piss poor defending all round. Monreal is making me nervous so far this year and that's not good with Gibbs being the only alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The fact that Arsenal have money and Wenger isn't spending it is being held against him. It's becoming more common to pick on every little thing and find any stick to beat him with no how small or weak it is.

Did you ever think for one second that building a huge warchest and putting Arsenal in a position to be able to match Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, City and Chelsea might be a long term aim?

Arsenal have been a top team for a long time now and have threatened to break out and win a title while building and paying off a new stadium and now building a warchest. I think his achievements over the last 10 years or so have been incredible. How many managers are capable of doing all that he has done while keeping the money rolling in and not building debt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't think many are blaming him for the 1st goal are they? It was piss poor defending all round. Monreal is making me nervous so far this year and that's not good with Gibbs being the only alternative.

Monreal hasn't been great so far, but last night he was on his own out there. Iwobi didn't help out at all, with Di Maria and Aurier doubling up on Monreal it was always going to be bad. Was much better once Sanchez was put on the wing (shocker!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

CatInABox wrote: »

The ball past right by him, and was certainly close enough for him to save. Instead he didn't, he pirouetted around as if he was letting the ball run out wide. Perhaps he was still asleep, and there were plenty more at fault in the build up, but he certainly could've done better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Stuart Pearce really was and still is a knobhead.

Listening to Talk****e commentary against PSG last & my son asked who's the tosser on the radio, it was Stuart Pearce! :pac::D

Some things never change:rolleyes:

Do you remember Song?
    In fairness last night it just looked like we had almost no-one willing to get forward and Coquelin is the type of guy to react to that.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The fact that Arsenal have money and Wenger isn't spending it is being held against him. It's becoming more common to pick on every little thing and find any stick to beat him with no how small or weak it is.
    Did you watch the game last night? The performance spoke for itself.
    Did you ever think for one second that building a huge warchest and putting Arsenal in a position to be able to match Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, City and Chelsea might be a long term aim?
    Plenty of us thought that for a lot longer than 1 second. Most of us have now wised up though.
    Arsenal have been a top team for a long time now and have threatened to break out and win a title while building and paying off a new stadium and now building a warchest. I think his achievements over the last 10 years or so have been incredible. How many managers are capable of doing all that he has done while keeping the money rolling in and not building debt?
    2 FA cups, woo!
    Arsenal aren't progressing. Points in the league fell by 4 in each of the last 2 seasons, out in the last 16 for the last 6 years straight, again, speaks for itself.
    The team is going nowhere and quickly.

Monreal hasn't been great so far, but last night he was on his own out there. Iwobi didn't help out at all, with Di Maria and Aurier doubling up on Monreal it was always going to be bad. Was much better once Sanchez was put on the wing (shocker!)
    Aye, the CBs didn't look great, little protection ahead, Iwobi looked ok at times going forward but Monreal was getting destroyed behind him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

In fairness last night it just looked like we had almost no-one willing to get forward and Coquelin is the type of guy to react to that.

Did you watch the game last night? The performance spoke for itself.

Plenty of us thought that for a lot longer than 1 second. Most of us have now wised up though.

2 FA cups, woo!
    Arsenal aren't progressing. Points in the league fell by 4 in each of the last 2 seasons, out in the last 16 for the last 6 years straight, again, speaks for itself.
    The team is going nowhere and quickly.

Conversely you could say we have gone from 4th, 3rd then 2nd

mansize wrote: »
    Conversely you could say we have gone from 4th, 3rd then 2nd
    Yup, gonna finish 1st on 67 points this season.

The league is more competitive so the points won't be as high as they used be

• Advertisement

Also we have to give time for the new players to gel and the team to get used to playing together.

Pogba ain't setting the world alight just yet, but he will come good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Do you remember Song?

Yeah spot on, Coquelin last night reminded me a lot of what Song used to do when he would venture forward and then we would be left woefully exposed to the counter attack. Coquelin shouldn't venture forward at all away to top teams as we will just get picked off, which really should have happened last night.

Coquelin made his name at Arsenal by being a defensive midfielder and giving us a shape and protection. He didn't do that last night, he got into some good attacking positions last night, I'll give him that. But he doesn't have the attacking quality like a Cazorla or Ozil. I just hope that he doesn't repeat that too often as its not what he is good at IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The one good thing I took from last night performance was that we never signed Cavani.

I really don't think this thread or any Arsenal fan could have taken it if he had missed those opportunities for us. It's bad enough when Giroud misses chances, I can't imagine what would have happened in this thread if we paid ~£60M for Cavani and he put on that show last night.

farna_boy wrote: »
    The one good thing I took from last night performance was that we never signed Cavani.

I really don't think this thread or any Arsenal fan could have taken it if he had missed those opportunities for us. It's bad enough when Giroud misses chances, I can't imagine what would have happened in this thread if we paid ~£60M for Cavani and he put on that show last night.

He was very good last night, scored a goal and made some amazing runs, he missed some absolutely unforgivable sitters but he's still a better striker than Giroud IMO.

He was very good last night, scored a goal and made some amazing runs, he missed some absolutely unforgivable sitters but he's still a better striker than Giroud IMO.

Would you rather Cavani than Giroud as your centre forward? For me Cavani is a distant second. Good at finding space but a worse finisher you'd be lucky to find anywhere.

• Advertisement

Would you rather Cavani than Giroud as your centre forward? For me Cavani is a distant second. Good at finding space but a worse finisher you'd be lucky to find anywhere.

Yes, really? He has a phenomenal goal scoring record, very difficult to call someone a poor finisher when they score on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Giroud is one of the most underrated strikers in football today.

I blame that donkey falling over the ball video.

Yes, really? He has a phenomenal goal scoring record, very difficult to call someone a poor finisher when they score on a regular basis.

his % rates must be pretty poor. He misses an awful lot whenver I've seen him play. I can only imagine the outcry had Giroud missed some of those sitters last night. When Giroud came on our play was transformed

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Giroud is one of the most underrated strikers in football today.

I blame that donkey falling over the ball video.

our forward play was transformed when he came on last night. We finally had a target who would get in the centre backs faces and would create a focal point. Something we had been crying out for all evening. Finally Alexis had space to work in and we could sustain pressure up front.

his % rates must be pretty poor. He misses an awful lot whenver I've seen him play. I can only imagine the outcry had Giroud missed some of those sitters last night. When Giroud came on our play was transformed

Don't be making assumptions and then use them to back up your argument, Cavani is a world class striker, any non Arsenal fan would have him over Giroud no problem.

Cavani Since 2010: 203 Apps, 132 goals.

Giroud Since 2010: 225 Apps, 96 goals.

I don't have conversion stats for ya but Cavani's accuracy has been better than Giroud's every year for the past 5 years too.

He missed some sitters last night, that doesn't mean he's a poor finisher :rolleyes:

Don't be making assumptions and then use them to back up your argument, Cavani is a world class striker, any non Arsenal fan would have him over Giroud no problem.

I don't have conversion stats for ya but Cavani's accuracy has been better than Giroud's every year for the past 5 years too.

not comparing like with like though. French league against EPL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That includes 3 years in Serie A

78 goals in 104 games from 2010-2013

oh right, I guess Giroud is better then, look at the CL stats, look at the International stats. Giroud is great don't get me wrong, but Cavani is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'd take Giroud over Cavani any day of the week.

Take a look at perhaps one of the worst performances you're ever likely to see, not just from a CF but a professional footballer in general.

keano_afc wrote: »

Take a look at perhaps one of the worst performances you're ever likely to see, not just from a CF but a professional footballer in general.

Giroud's had games like that too. Fact is, Cavani has an outstanding goal record at all levels. A few bad games doesn't change that.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't think Giroud's ever had a bad game before.

Yeah I don't think Giroud's ever had a bad game before.

Giroud didnt cost the money that chancer did. Any time I've watched him, including last night, he's stank the place out.

Giroud didnt cost the money that chancer did. Any time I've watched him, including last night, he's stank the place out.

Ah here we go, money is irrelevant when comparing two players abilities. You obviously haven't watched him very much and if scoring goals constitutes stinking the place out then yeah he's a stinker alright.

oh right, I guess Giroud is better then, look at the CL stats, look at the International stats. Giroud is great don't get me wrong, but Cavani is better.

internationally they are pretty much on a par.

Giroud 21 goals in 57 games (plenty of sub appearances there too)

Cavani 34 in 86

champions league Cavani has 13 in 29 with PSG

Giroud has 11 in 27 with Arsenal - again pretty similar

Ah here we go, money is irrelevant when comparing two players abilities. You obviously haven't watched him very much and if scoring goals constitutes stinking the place out then yeah he's a stinker alright.

Hey, disagreement is healthy. I dont rate Cavani and never will.

Hey, disagreement is healthy. I dont rate Cavani and never will.

Nah man it is healthy to have differing opinions and discuss them but saying you don't rate someone who has done and continues to do what Cavani does is just daft.

How can you not rate a world class player who scores large amounts of goals year in year out? If you don't like him fine but you can't ignore results and he delivers.

Nah man it is healthy to have differing opinions and discuss them but saying you don't rate someone who has done and continues to do what Cavani does is just daft.

How can you not rate a world class player who scores large amounts of goals year in year out? If you don't like him fine but you can't ignore results and he delivers.

If he were a postman a lot of your letters would be going next door !

If he were a postman a lot of your letters would be going next door !

If he were a postman he'd be delivering more letters than anyone other postman in the world bar 5-10 Get off Giroud's dick and accept the fact that Cavani is class.

If he were a postman he'd be delivering more letters than anyone other postman in the world bar 5-10 Get off Giroud's dick and accept the fact that Cavani is class.

always with the insults - that's the way to convince me - well done - yes Cavani is absolutely better!

• Advertisement

always with the insults - that's the way to convince me - well done - yes Cavani is absolutely better!

Always acting like a child, where did I insult you exactly? I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you know what's up but you'll defend the Arsenal player to the death as usual, I respect that, it's just tiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

He missed some sitters last night, that doesn't mean he's a poor finisher :rolleyes:
    Cavani has never once finished inside the top two scorers in France and Id put money on it again this year, Giroud plays in a much stronger league and also has been the top scorer in the league. I watch PSG religiously last night was a regular game for Cavani, watch any ligue one game and you will see this

Giroud's had games like that too. Fact is, Cavani has an outstanding goal record at all levels. A few bad games doesn't change that.
    Cavani really doesnt though, a work horse yes, but he has not been a outstanding success at PSG, Hes the main striker and I bet he doesnt score 20 goals this season

There is certainly more than 10 players that score more goals than Cavani, if I was to sign a striker he wouldnt be close to the one Id want

Charizard wrote: »
    Cavani has never once finished inside the top two scorers in France and Id put money on it again this year, Giroud plays in a much stronger league and also has been the top scorer in the league. I watch PSG religiously last night was a regular game for Cavani, watch any ligue one game and you will see this
    Cavani really doesnt though, a work horse yes, but he has not been a outstanding success at PSG, Hes the main striker and I bet he doesnt score 20 goals this season

How much? I'll take you up on that, he's broken 20 in his past 6 seasons, 3 with Napoli and 3 with PSG, compare his tenure in Ligue 1 to Girouds. You say he's the main striker but if you watched PSG religiously you'd know he's been played wide right on numerous numerous occasions over the years.

Without Ibra he'll stay central and I guarantee you he scores over 20, probably over 30.

How much? I'll take you up on that, he's broken 20 in his past 6 seasons, 3 with Napoli and 3 with PSG, compare his tenure in Ligue 1 to Girouds. You say he's the main striker but if you watched PSG religiously you'd know he's been played wide right on numerous numerous occasions over the years.

Without Ibra he'll stay central and I guarantee you he scores over 20, probably over 30.
    No he hasnt, he hasnt broken 20 in the league, last season 19, season previous 18 and season before 16.
    You see it shows how much you watch PSG he mostly played ahead of Zlatan in the league, but hey throw out random nonsense cause you only watch him in CL where he played on right wing because hes a work horse.
    This season so far has 1 goal in in 4 games
    has 4/11 shots on target, which is pretty par for Cavani.
    So yeah dont challenge people on players you clearly dont actually watch

• Advertisement

What really? Sure I'm up for that, he hits 20 consistently. Even when he wasn't the main striker.

What really? Sure I'm up for that, he hits 20 consistently. Even when he wasn't the main striker.
    He hasnt hit 20 in France, last time was at Napoli in seria A, so far this season he has 1. Lucas has now stepped up, hes who will become the main man in a Gamerio type role and Cavani will be shunted to the wing again, as he covers so much ground and provides better cover for both the fbs who play there in Meunier and Aurier

No he hasnt, he hasnt broken 20 in the league, last season 19, season previous 18 and season before 16.
    You see it shows how much you watch PSG he mostly played ahead of Zlatan in the league, but hey throw out random nonsense cause you only watch him in CL where he played on right wing because hes a work horse.
    This season so far has 1 goal in in 4 games
    has 4/11 shots on target, which is pretty par for Cavani.
    So yeah dont challenge people on players you clearly dont actually watch

Since when are we only talking about the league? I don't claim to watch PSG religiously but I have watched them a lot over the past 5 or 6 years, I also didn't claim wide right is where he mostly plays I said he's played there on numerous occasions but sprout nonsense if you like.

He's not off to a great start but you'll find 1 in 4 goals and 4/11 shots on target is far from par for Cavani :L

He averages more than a goal every two games over his entire career and shot accuracy of 58% last year in Ligue 1. This is the Arsenal thread after all so we'll stop bitching about Cavani but yeah I would say he's been quite the player.

Since when are we only talking about the league? I don't claim to watch PSG religiously but I have watched them a lot over the past 5 or 6 years, I also didn't claim wide right is where he mostly plays I said he's played there on numerous occasions but sprout nonsense if you like.

He's not off to a great start but you'll find 1 in 4 goals and 4/11 shots on target is far from par for Cavani :L

He averages more than a goal every two games over his entire career and shot accuracy of 58% last year in Ligue 1. This is the Arsenal thread after all so we'll stop bitching about Cavani but yeah I would say he's been quite the player.
    Everyone talks about league, its always whats used a marker. I have watched Cavani long enough to know the player he is, I would have watched 80% of his games in the last three years to know exactly 4/11 is his sort of game. Yesterday was him in a nutshell
    You were the one saying he was great hence why I was posting in this thread about him. Id take Giroud any day over Cavani.
    He hasnt averaged that level in the last 3 seasons, no point judging a player on what they did 4 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

farna_boy wrote: »

All the guys that are saying spend, spend, spend went hiding when you brought up Cavani. They all wanted Arsenal to splurge on him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement