Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think he does, but that he doesn't to make too many changes too soon. Wenger has always prioritized stability and maintaining over introducing new faces, hence why Xhaka and Elneny have been blooded slowly, and Lucas will be the same.

Look at how vulnerable Cavani made our new CB pairing at times. Mustafi isn't used yet to how Kos likes to step up like that and kept leaving far too much space between them. Add a new midfield on top of that who might be unsure of who goes and who drops? It could have been an unmitigated disaster.

In contrast, when we were attacking in the second half, playing quick passes and making darting runs between the lines the stability really showed, broadly speaking everyone knew where to expect each other.

I think people are trying to draw too many conclusions from Wenger's line up. The main thing to take away tonight is how the team ground out the result. In the previous few seasons our discipline would have collapsed if we'd been torn apart like we were in those initial stages of the game.

Cpmpletely overlooking the fact that we could have been and should have been at least 3 down by the time Wenger made the changes needed. Those same changes that got us the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Always acting like a child, where did I insult you exactly? I'm not trying to convince you of anything, you know what's up but you'll defend the Arsenal player to the death as usual, I respect that, it's just tiring.

That's nonsense. There's plenty of strikers better than Giroud. Cavani is incredibly wasteful even though I admire his aggressivity and energy so I'd rather Olivier. I really don't want anything to do with his dick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Charizard wrote: »
    Cavani has never once finished inside the top two scorers in France and Id put money on it again this year, Giroud plays in a much stronger league and also has been the top scorer in the league. I watch PSG religiously last night was a regular game for Cavani, watch any ligue one game and you will see this
    When was Giroud ever top scorer in the league?

Quazzie wrote: »

I don't believe he ever was.

I don't believe he ever was.

He was top scorer in Ligue 1 the season before we bought him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

When Montpellier won 2011/2012, like literally the season before he signed for you guys

He was top scorer in Ligue 1 the season before we bought him.

I thought we were talking about the EPL.

I thought we were talking about the EPL.
    Nope because Cavani and Giroud have not both played in premier league but both have competed in France

When Montpellier won 2011/2012, like literally the season before he signed for you guys
    So that's two sentences then, because it looks you were saying he was top scorer in the harder league he plays in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Come on Monaco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Spurs just wanna be us. Making a bollox of playing Champions league games at Wembley? Always copying us.

FT Spurs 1-2 Monaco

Nope because Cavani and Giroud have not both played in premier league but both have competed in France

But in different divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

keano_afc wrote: »
    Spurs just wanna be us. Making a bollox of playing Champions league games at Wembley? Always copying us.

Nah, they have their own Spursy way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No....Montpellier won Ligue 1 a few years back. Same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There was lasagne on the menu at Wembley this evening. Not joking :D

So that's two sentences then, because it looks you were saying he was top scorer in the harder league he plays in.
    I dont see how you would see that, anyways you know now

Eh.......Giroud played for Montpellier the champions of Ligue 1, Cavani played for PSG the champions of Ligue 1. How is that different divisions :rolleyes:

Eh.......Giroud played for Montpellier the champions of Ligue 1, Cavani played for PSG the champions of Ligue 1. How is that different divisions :rolleyes:

I thought they played in different divisions. I don't follow French football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

So just for giggles. I had loads of time on my hands today and I listened to an old Arsecast, the one from the morning after St Totteringhams day this year. What a laugh that was.

Anyway, back to your bickering!

Christ Spurs get beat and we still have guys arguing like two bald guys fighting over a comb! 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

emmetlego wrote: »
    So just for giggles. I had loads of time on my hands today and I listened to an old Arsecast, the one from the morning after St Totteringhams day this year. What a laugh that was.

Anyway, back to your bickering!

Good idea! Will do that tomorrow.

Oddly, I was looking at The Tuesday Club page earlier. I loved that, but the haven't done one since April (which I remember as a whinge fest).

Hope they come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Look at how vulnerable Cavani made our new CB pairing at times. Mustafi isn't used yet to how Kos likes to step up like that and kept leaving far too much space between them.
    Cpmpletely overlooking the fact that we could have been and should have been at least 3 down by the time Wenger made the changes needed. Those same changes that got us the point.

*Ahem!*

Edit:

Now you're really showing your ignorance. Both Giroud and Koscielny spent a couple of seasons playing in Ligue 2 when they were younger but that was with Tours, a completely different club!

WTF, how do you not jump with excitement at watching Clermont vs Lens this friday, you freak :pac::pac: In all seriousness, my first football match I attended was in France and Ive been loyal since then to the league. Excluding PSG its a anyone can win on any given day league

Both Giroud and Koscielny spent a couple of seasons playing in Ligue 2 when they were younger but that was with Tours, a completely different club!
    Who in 2008 would have thought they would be two of the most important players for France and Arsenal, I loved Giroud from day one remember him being linked to Celtic and Monaco for 2/3 million :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Anyone catch the attendance at the Spurs game?

Edit- 85,011

Jaysus I didnt think they had that many supporters on the planet.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the attendance at the Spurs game?

Edit- 85,011

Jaysus I didnt think they had that many supporters on the planet.
    Maybe the whole principality of Monaco came over :pac:

*Ahem!*

Edit:

Now you're really showing your ignorance. Both Giroud and Koscielny spent a couple of seasons playing in Ligue 2 when they were younger but that was with Tours, a completely different club!

I've admitted several times that I know feck-all about French football.

I do know plenty about the EPl and selecting best players for teams though.
    Many posters on here are very knowledgeable and some of us suggested the right team and changes long before they happened the other night. It took Wenger a bit longer to realise his mistakes :pac: We had to phone him.

I've admitted several times that I know feck-all about French football.

I do know plenty about the EPl and selecting best players for teams though.
    Many posters on here are very knowledgeable and some of us suggested the right team and changes long before they happened the other night. It took Wenger a bit longer to realise his mistakes :pac: We had to phone him.

Except the goalie- he was right there!

mansize wrote: »
    Except the goalie- he was right there!
    How so. There was nothing that Ospina done that Cech couldn't have. In fact Cech might've done better for their goal. People were creaming themselves over Ospina, and never though to mention that one of the saves where he tipped it over the bar from Cavani was because he made a balls of a clearance and kick it straight to an opposition player.

Forgive me if i don't join the masses in creaming themselves watching the Youtube reel of Ospina v PSG

• Advertisement

How so. There was nothing that Ospina done that Cech couldn't have. In fact Cech might've done better for their goal. People were creaming themselves over Ospina, and never though to mention that one of the saves where he tipped it over the bar from Cavani was because he made a balls of a clearance and kick it straight to an opposition player.

Forgive me if i don't join the masses in creaming themselves watching the Youtube reel of Ospina v PSG

Yeah, but Cech has let in several goals that he should have saved recently.

Loathe to give them any credit...

Ospina is a World Class keeper who won't be happy on the bench. Wenger needs to play him if he wants to keep him. Keeps him fresh too, should Cech suffer an injury

Since last year's Champions league matches he has performed admirably whenever called upon.

But fair play to Wenger for having Los cojones to play him after what happened last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Personally had no issue with Ospina being played at the start.

It was the Iwobi and Oxlade-Chamberlain combo that had me confused !

greendom wrote: »
    Ospina is a World Class keeper who won't be happy on the bench. Wenger needs to play him if he wants to keep him. Keeps him fresh too, should Cech suffer an injury

Since last year's Champions league matches he has performed admirably whenever called upon.

But fair play to Wenger for having Los cojones to play him after what happened last year.

Ospina is not a world class goalkeeper. Hes very good but not among the elite in his position. Hes a level below the likes of Cech, De Gea, Lloris, Nueur, Courtouis, Buffon etc.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Personally had no issue with Ospina being played at the start.

It was the Iwobi and Oxlade-Chamberlain combo that had me confused !

Iwobi was one of our better players on the night and has been very efficient when called upon. Ox, Coq and Ospina should not of started the game imo.

Ospina is not a world class goalkeeper. Hes very good but not among the elite in his position. Hes a level below the likes of Cech, De Gea, Lloris, Nueur, Courtouis, Buffon etc.

Personally I think he's at that level. Look at his performances for Colombia - he has been absolutely superb for them.

LOL

Cech isn't "world class".

Iwobi was one of our better players on the night and has been very efficient when called upon. Ox, Coq and Ospina should not of started the game imo.

I think you could look at it two ways. Ox definitely seemed to do a better job defensively for us (I know that it's not his primary job), whereas Monreal always seemed under pressure on Iwobi's side.

That said, there's no reason both of them should have been starting when we had Lucas and Giroud on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ain't the players fault Arsene sends them out unprepared.

I don't think ours players are particularly lacking in talent and the squad has cover in pretty much every position.

But having all the talent in the world ain't gonna help you when other managers are picking out he flaws in our game and exploiting then.

I agree, Hes a decent goalie, but the term world class gets thrown around way to often these days

I love the whole vagaries of "World Class", "Top Top", and "Top Class" that sit in the football blaggers lexicon along with, decent, put in a shift, workmanlike, proper, quality, etc

Its Sky Sports vernacular and now its used by fans around the world like those words are the bible of football.

Ospina is an International Goalie that plays for Arsenal
    He's very good at what he does, and I think he's as good as Cech has been for us this season

People said Cech would be work 18 points to us, I counted a net of 3 points I attributed to him.

Ospina is a perfectly credible goalkeeper in the UCL or BPL.

Personally I think he's at that level. Look at his performances for Colombia - he has been absolutely superb for them.
    Really :confused: hes never at that level. Hes similar to Given back in the day for me. A world class back up goal keeper

The 'rivalry' Sky and BBC made up over Pep and Jose was laughable.

You could find lots of quotes to set up that kind of scenario.

Its not Syria ffs.

Ox and Theo I would just sell to anyone at this stage, I don't consider them to be the quality Arsenal require to challenge for the Premier League or Champions League.

I definitely think we have an XI that can challenge for the Premier League at least, provided they stay reasonably injury free.

Ox and Theo I would just sell to anyone at this stage, I don't consider them to be the quality Arsenal require to challenge for the Premier League or Champions League.

I definitely think we have an XI that can challenge for the Premier League at least, provided they stay reasonably injury free.

A lot worse players have medals for both of those competitions

Here's a question, when you cheer for Arsenal, do you cheer in your local accent or in a London accent?

I find when I'm cheering the London pronunciation creeping in, but I spent a summer in London and if I went "Full Bogger" accent, they'd be like wtf... :P

I love the whole vagaries of "World Class", "Top Top", and "Top Class" that sit in the football blaggers lexicon along with, decent, put in a shift, workmanlike, proper, quality, etc

Its Sky Sports vernacular and now its used by fans around the world like those words are the bible of football.

Ospina is an International Goalie that plays for Arsenal
    He's very good at what he does, and I think he's as good as Cech has been for us this season

People said Cech would be work 18 points to us, I counted a net of 3 points I attributed to him.

Ospina is a perfectly credible goalkeeper in the UCL or BPL.
    So in the 90 minutes you seen him he's been as good as Cech this season??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    A lot worse players have medals for both of those competitions

Yes but they were largely carried by players of a better standard than our best ones imho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement